• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Why can't they at this point just emulate them and take out a lot of the work? Surely they have internal emulators, so just have a small team that tests games and push through titles compatibility settings every once in a while. The box is beefy enough to push through PS1-3 no problem I'm sure.
They don't care enough to do it.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
qvg0_200.gif

But really don't know why Sony isn't doing this for PS1 and PS2. I mean emulators of those consoles are available for years and it should be really easy to do it, but still...
Cd emulation is out of question since ps4 couldn't ever read cd. That make digital option left, which I imagine require Sony to renegotiate to whatever publisher/owner of all those old games to put it up on osn store, some include company that has been shut down or unclear who own the rights. Probably more hassle than it worth, also, even the big publishers who's still around may not want to go emulation route when they can do remake/remaster option and sell it on much higher price.

At least, that's how I rationaloze it in my head on why Sony never capitalize on their massive back catalog

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Sony needs to cut the bullshit, come out and state what actually is, or isn't true, and give a fact sheet and leave it in players hands. Let their hard work stand on its own, and see where the chips fall.

September is tomorrow and the amount of questions still unanswered is mind blowing. It's really annoying at this point.

Nah, we can't put out anything that could be a possible negative for our new console. Only good only hype. Get hype!

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 to me lost a lot of its value when Sony took down every first party titles servers. I would kill to go back to Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance and others but its not possible so I'm not too caught up on it.

PS1 and PS2 should be a thing though, especially disc based.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I wish PS1 and PS2 classics bought on PSN worked on it at least. PS2 games on PS4 act basically as PS4 games, right? Those should work I suppose.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Honestly, seeing what the small team behind RPCS3 can do, I don't buy that a company of Sony's size just can't seem to figure it out.

I think they just don't see the benefit in dedicating the resources.
I mean I'm sure they can, but will they actually push their BC team to do so? Probably never.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well this really sucks. Why can't they just do ps1 and ps2 emulation at the very least? :|

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, you couldn't play original Xbox or 360 games on Xbox One at launch so I wouldn't be shocked if this maybe came later. Either way, I wasn't expecting this at launch, otherwise they would've announced it alongside announcing PS4 BC because why the hell wouldn't you? lol

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not great, but at the same time not entirely unexpected either.

Looking like that PS3 and before back catalogue is going to be lost to time.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's how they can get you by the balls tbh

Why bother putting in PS2 or PS3 support when they can just sell you fancy remasters of games you've played before like Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls all over again?

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why PS1 and PS2 can't be supported. I'm not gonna act like this doesn't suck because I would really like to play my digital Ps1 games I bought for my vita and PS3.

PeaceSeeker

Chicken Chaser
Apr 17, 2018
I am expecting PS4 bc will have not visual enhancement. Faster loading sure. Locked 30/60 fps yes, but no 4k upscale

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
So many people saying why can't they do it?

Well they can, but then it makes it less likely people will use PSNow and that is a money maker long term for them.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Per Jim Ryan previously

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," said Ryan.

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

So yeah I'm not suprised here.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Expected but still an absolute bummer. I'd love an all in one PlayStation console eventually. Thank goodness I still have my old ones.

Oct 30, 2017
This was pretty obviously going down like this. I'm not necessarily even sure Ubisoft is acting on any information we don't have.

It could be part of a long term plan but I'd doubt it.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's how they can get you by the balls tbh

Why bother putting in PS2 or PS3 support when they can just sell you fancy remasters of games you've played before like Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls all over again?

well to be fair, the PS2 version of SOTC runs like shit even when emulated.

but yes, I see your point.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
For the bolded part, that's *EXACTLY* how I read it. Why even mention PS1-PS3 if they weren't supported via BC on the PS5? I think full BC is there, but online support for anything prior to the PS4 will not be supported by Ubisoft.
On the Ubisoft site, the line about multiplayer looks like it's a separate paragraph from the one about PS4 and PS1-3 BC. They're mentioning 1-3 because it's about Ubisoft games in general.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
This is expected. The PS1 and PS2 are notoriously difficult to emulate. We can't expect Sony to not try to resell us the games we already own.

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has such a large mind share advantage they really have no reason to put this in as it would probably raise costs even if incrementally. It's a real bummer and I hope the competition keeps advancing BC. I hate that this medium makes it so hard to play classic games.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Boo!
Didn't expect it because of Sony's terrible track record with their recent hardware, but still ... Boo Sony!