• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
This was always a given when they were silent.

If PS5 had it they'd scream it off the rooftops

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
So...exactly as expected?

You guys pay too much attention to Twitter "insiders".

Still...it's a shame. And weird. Why would you want your games to die on older platforms?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Well they made you buy the game's again on PS4. Guess the same for PS5. Nickel and dime customers due to nostalgia
I still have my PS2 & Phat PS3, and honestly would take the time setting it up, then buying the hundreds of games I have for it again if they were available on my PS4 or PS5.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Bummer
I wanted to play MGS4 since my bro traded in his PS3 to amazon a while back, I bought mgs4 at a thrift store like a day after lol

my guess is they'll do digital bc in the future because that's easy money

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I mean, this is probably the case but if Ubisoft web support team knows this then everyone in the world should know by now and this is the first time we get some corp information?

I think this is just asuming.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
At this point expected. Really was hoping though for PS3. And honestly, it's just weird that they don't have it for PS1 and PS2.

Oct 24, 2019
This personally doesn't bother me too much since they only way I'll return to games that old would be through remasters and remakes -- I personally just can't deal with the graphics and more importantly, the jank, from those bygone eras. So long as Sony keeps a steady stream of remasters and remakes flowing, then I'll be happy.

However, I certainly feel for the people who were hoping for BC

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, have to imagine if Sony were going to bother on this front, they would've announced their plans well before now.

Disappointing, but not at all surprising.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really think sony will support it in the end, but doesn't it seem more like they're talking about connecting to their online services and not ps5's support of backwards compat?

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
This would be disappointing. It doesn't seem like it necessarily confirms there are no BC plans for PS5 from Sony, but why else would Ubisoft even have this on their site? They could have easily just not said anything.

Bummer!

May 17, 2018
PS3 will never happen.

Welp that fucking sucks, I can see PS3, but still do not understand how PS2, or PS1 cannot be emulated.

I get why PS3 is probably impossible, but PS1 and PS2 would be awesome.

Honestly, seeing what the small team behind RPCS3 can do, I don't buy that a company of Sony's size just can't seem to figure it out.

I think they just don't see the benefit in dedicating the resources.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to play the Ratchet and God of War HD Collections without buying a PS3 or dealing with that horrendous blur on PSNow. Come on Sony....

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care for PS2 and PS3, but it's really lame that they don't support the PS1 digital games. Just put a fucking emulator on it, come on.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Felt like we would have heard something concrete about this already if it was the case.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
Couldn't Sony just outright say it?
We have to resort to publishers for information now and it's fucking boring.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Obviously.

It's more realistic to hope that they bring back PS1 Classics and it's still tied to our purchases on PSP, PS3 and Vita.

... And even that is unlikely.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
If anything, they imply PS1-3 BC will be available but their online multiplayer features won't support anything except PS4 BC for PS5 players. And no, I do not believe the PS5 will be BC with PS1-3 games.
For the bolded part, that's *EXACTLY* how I read it. Why even mention PS1-PS3 if they weren't supported via BC on the PS5? I think full BC is there, but online support for anything prior to the PS4 will not be supported by Ubisoft.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Expected. I'll be fine as long as I can play all of my PS4 titles on the PS5. I honestly don't have enough space anymore for all these consoles lol.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Sony needs to cut the bullshit, come out and state what actually is, or isn't true, and give a fact sheet and leave it in players hands. Let their hard work stand on its own, and see where the chips fall.

September is tomorrow and the amount of questions still unanswered is mind blowing. It's really annoying at this point.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there are three different lines of response in this thread.

"PS5 won't have any PS1/PS2/PS3 BC"

"Ubisoft won't support any BC past PS4"

"Ubisoft's upgrade process will only apply to PS4 games"

Which is it? Or somehow is it actually all of them? Lol.

sw26

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like my PS3 will never not be hooked up.

Can understand PS3 support being missing on a technical level but PS1 support should really be a given at this point.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Very disappointing but it's good to finally have some kind of confirmation since Sony is seemingly keeping everyone in the dark

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Why can't they at this point just emulate them and take out a lot of the work? Surely they have internal emulators, so just have a small team that tests games and push through titles compatibility settings every once in a while. The box is beefy enough to push through PS1-3 no problem I'm sure.

May 17, 2018
I'll be fine as long as I can play all of my PS4 titles on the PS5.

Honestly, at the end of the day, Sony knows this is the case for the overwhelming majority of players.

Most people will never touch PS1-PS3 games in 2020. It's a bummer, but, it's just the way it is. It's cool that MS supports OG xbox games, but, I've only ever fired up Ninja Gaiden on my X and even then only played it for like, 20 minutes.