• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Welp that fucking sucks, I can see PS3, but still do not understand how PS2, or PS1 cannot be emulated.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. There it is.

I get why PS3 is probably impossible, but PS1 and PS2 would be awesome.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
qvg0_200.gif

But really don't know why Sony isn't doing this for PS1 and PS2. I mean emulators of those consoles are available for years and it should be really easy to do it, but still...

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
They are talking about Ubisoft games no?
Not that I expect anything besides PS4 games, but I don't think Ubisoft would know anything about this.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly the writing was on the wall. If the PS5 could do this, Sony would have advertised it big time by now.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why Ubisoft would have the inside scoop here, but this is expected.

Will be patient though because PS3 support should be possible in theory and those PS3 blades for PS Now won't last forever

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Aaaaw fuck. I was really hoping the rumours were true. Are Microsoft going with all generations compatibility? If so, it seems like Sony have sadly dropped the ball here (Still personally going to have to stay with Sony next generation despite this news, though). I thought both companies were going to compete in the full back comp space, and I was hoping to reclaim my ps3 online purchases.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure that means anything but that you can play online agaisnt ps4 players but not online agaisnt the other systems. Even though ps1 can't do online just sounds like they're covering their bases just because.

Though it's sony so I expect it anyway.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Well, sure lol

I just hope they port first party titles that are missing on PS4, like Sly and God of War.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps an argument can be made for the PS3, but PS2 and PS1 missing is a choice. I'm not entirely sure what they are gaining for making that choice.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Looks like PC remains the best place to play old PlayStation games.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 can easily do PS1/PS2 BC. Sony just either don't care or its not a priority for launch.

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
Expected tbh, and I bet they'll try to sell you emulated games again under some excuse like "Oh yeah we made the triggers lock for these games even though nobody asked and that took some time so yeah, $15"

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way they would have let MS dominate the back compat comversation so heavily for the past year if PS5 had anything even remotely competitive.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
They also say bc will be available to supported titles. Does that mean not all PS4 Ubi games will be playable on PS5?

Guess nobody really knows until they start fucking talking.