• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
Hey but didn't they tease the opposite at the start of this year?

www.playstationlifestyle.net

Ubisoft's Yves Guillemot Says Next-Gen Systems 'Will be Running Almost All the Back Catalog of the Previous Consoles' - PlayStation LifeStyle

PS5 backwards compatibility will include nearly "all the back catalog of the previous consoles," according to Ubisoft's Yves Guillemot.
Those consoles (XSX and PS5) will be running almost all the back catalog of the previous consoles (XBO and PS4)

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I really don't think Sony can PS3 (and to a lesser extent PS2) without the process being a huge headache.

Microsoft's approach took them a ton of work even though they went into it with a really solid foundation. Both the 360 and the OG Xbox used fairly traditional PC hardware, ran customized versions of Windows, and forced developers to strictly adhere to the high-level DirectX APIs (until the final years of the console anyway). The Xbox BC team mentioned how they had to do a lot of fine tuning to their BC model to get some of the more "coded to the metal" games to work correctly even though they were the exception rather than the norm. The vast majority of 360 games were coded to run in the same way, so the Xbox One BC setup started to rapidly improve as they certified more games.

Now enter the PS3 where Sony gave developers free reign to play with low-level APIs on the system's exotic CPU/GPU hybrid. Pretty much every half-decent PS3 port made use of the low-level APIs to leverage the Cell since Sony's higher-level APIs couldn't offer competitive performance. RPCS3 is an impressive hobby project, but an official BC implementation by Sony needs to work nearly perfectly, interact with legacy PS3 infrastructure perfectly, and offer enhancements without breaking anything. A bug-free emulator would require so much individual tuning that it would almost be a better use of the time and money to simply port the couple dozen PS3 exclusives to modern hardware and sell them again (TLOU, GOW3, UC).

End of the day it's a cost-benefit thing and Sony has a higher barrier to entry compared to MS.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But that was my original response, the difference is that Xbox 1 -> Series X BC does include previous generations like the 360 or OG Xbox, while PS4 -> PS5 BC does not (unless the PS2 Classics from the store works) and MS does highlight that a lot in their blog posts.

I never said the messaging from Sony was any different from MS, they both have talked many times about letting all if not most of their previous gen library work on the next gen.
Again...that was not what we were talking about. The poster I was quoting said that MS plans on having almost all Xbox One games playable on the Series X at launch and said that that strategy sounded much different than Sony's. I asked how that was different. That was not a question about MS's general BC strategy (which does include Xbox and 360 games), but a question on how Sony is NOT trying to have the majority of PS4 games playable on PS5 at launch.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish it had ps3 bc. There are lots of games that I know will never get PS Now release or any remaster that I want to go back to

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again...that was not what we were talking about. The poster I was quoting said that MS plans on having almost all Xbox One games playable on the Series X at launch and said that that strategy sounded much different than Sony's. I asked how that was different. That was not a question about MS's general BC strategy (which does include Xbox and 360 games), but a question on how Sony is NOT trying to have the majority of PS4 games playable on PS5 at launch.
We really won't know until both release an official list of what's playable and what's not and even afterwards after people have had a chance to try every game that's compatible to make sure it doesn't introduce new bugs and glitches. Xbox has committed to having everything playable on Xbox One, except games that ONLY can be played using Kincet, to be backwards compatible on XSX, but again until it actually releases and people can try for themselves will really know for sure.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
It's a massive amount of development required, and growing a team of developers at that level of expertise is not just a question of money. They have a limited amount of development effort going on, and they need to choose where it will be the most useful.

I'm curious what anyone would be ready to sacrifice for launch that is an equivalent amount of development effort. I'm guessing nothing at all?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't think Sony can PS3 (and to a lesser extent PS2) without the process being a huge headache.

Microsoft's approach took them a ton of work even though they went into it with a really solid foundation. Both the 360 and the OG Xbox used fairly traditional PC hardware, ran customized versions of Windows, and forced developers to strictly adhere to the high-level DirectX APIs (until the final years of the console anyway). The Xbox BC team mentioned how they had to do a lot of fine tuning to their BC model to get some of the more "coded to the metal" games to work correctly even though they were the exception rather than the norm. The vast majority of 360 games were coded to run in the same way, so the Xbox One BC setup started to rapidly improve as they certified more games.

Now enter the PS3 where Sony gave developers free reign to play with low-level APIs on the system's exotic CPU/GPU hybrid. Pretty much every half-decent PS3 port made use of the low-level APIs to leverage the Cell since Sony's higher-level APIs couldn't offer competitive performance. RPCS3 is an impressive hobby project, but an official BC implementation by Sony needs to work nearly perfectly, interact with legacy PS3 infrastructure perfectly, and offer enhancements without breaking anything. A bug-free emulator would require so much individual tuning that it would almost be a better use of the time and money to simply port the couple dozen PS3 exclusives to modern hardware and sell them again (TLOU, GOW3, UC).

End of the day it's a cost-benefit thing and Sony has a higher barrier to entry compared to MS.

The 360 did not use traditional PC hardware.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
You will be disappointed.
Eh, I only mildly want early-gen BC for myself. I've never even commented on this type of topic before until I read Ubisoft's webpage in this thread. If my theory is wrong, it's only wrong because Ubisoft went off-topic in their response to a very specific PS4/PS5 BC question.

It's like someone asking them if Just Dance will release on next gen consoles and they include in their answer that Hyper Scape is available now for free. I mean, what does that have to do with the original question? The PS1-PS3 comment is completely out of context there.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
With how good cheap micro PCs like Raspberry Pi's have become, getting your PS1/PS2 fix isn't all that hard these days. PS3 would have been nice but that's a whole different beast.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Xbox One launched with zero backwards compatibility and years later had some of the best backwards compatibility around. I'm doubtful Sony's stance will change, but it's always possible it could be added down the road.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
"PlayStation 4 players will be able to join multiplayer games with PlayStation 5 players."

I want to know how they gonna deal with 60 FPS vs 120 FPS modes on both.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even expect to be able to play PS1 classics I already bought through PSN on my PS5. Sony just does not give a fuck about native BC.

It's more likely they'd just stick it all behind streaming on PS Now, which could not be less attractive to me given my experiences with the service

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Not that I'm overly bothered, it would have been nice, but I do find it odd the way the road to PS5 slide was presented- it was like there was space for PS1 to PS3 but it was removed...ho hum

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a massive amount of development required, and growing a team of developers at that level of expertise is not just a question of money. They have a limited amount of development effort going on, and they need to choose where it will be the most useful.

I'm curious what anyone would be ready to sacrifice for launch that is an equivalent amount of development effort. I'm guessing nothing at all?
People want to have their cake and eat it too. The majority of players will want their next gen games.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise I was speaking to the voice of every potential PS5 user out there. My bad, I'll do some more research next time I attempt to speak out of turn.
Glad you think so highly of me but I am not the sole voice for PS5 owners, there are none currently because no one owns a PS5.

However, this place, Era, is a small small small part of a small community. The majority of consumers will want their next gen games.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
"Majority" of Gen 7 and then Gen 6? What majority? When they added OG Xbox it was barely anything more than the 360 originally had and 577 X360 games out of 2083 is barely a quarter.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant gen 7 specifically. Gen 6 is sparse but they've confirmed the BC program will resume and get new additions for both gens from publishers etc that want to support it.

I know mathematically it isn't the majority, but that number includes to much regional specific titles/sports/potentially kinect-related stuff that I don't even know about.

There are some notable exclusions (i.e. max payne 3) not to mention delisted stuff, but the vase majority of games I like/own (and I have some obscure tastes!) and my library are BC.

I had to actually rebuy some of my PS3 catalog and get 360 versions just so I could experience them with all the benefits that entail (better performance, new controller, screenshots and video captures, streaming).

And I don't own an XB1X, so I'm going to benefit from x-enhancements I never got to try on nextgen hw (like ninja gaiden 2, mirror's edge, splinter cell 1-6, etc) not to mention with current gen & 6th gen games.

All signs point to supported titles for PS4 being all of them except for possibly a couple edge cases.

I'd guess they will run like the PS4 Pro runs them and any not quite getting steady framerate or with dynamic resolution will benefit.

Yeah I agree, I think it'll be a virtualised environment the way Cerny's chart suggested.

Don't get me wrong: I'm super relieved that we can run PS4 titles in the first place, way better position than where we were early this gen. I just hope there are settings/modes to play around with to at least attempt to get games running better.

One thing that gives me hope though is that Control publisher 505 said Control will run better on *both* PS5 & XSX vastly better > current gen hw, so maybe PS5

Atm: I'm planning to jump in on slim, but if BC was there and robust: I may jump in early.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

They've been working on x86 as a platform for close to a decade now, there is zero excuse for them to not have a PS1 emulator by now. Digital Eclipse managed to get one working just to run a bonus unlockable in Medievil. Sony has a PS2 emulator on PS4 from many years ago. No one would blame them for putting a PS3 emulator off a bit. We even know they have a PSP emulator on PS4, they just use it for HD remasters.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People love to say that they want backwards compatibility but when the day comes and it actually comes out, I bet you 1% of people will actually use it. People just want to demand things be given to them and the second they get it, they lose interest completely and beg for another feature.

That has to be why Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 keeps back into the top 50 most played on Xbox unlike a lot of newer COD games.

That has to be why people have been begging for Skate 3's backwards compatibility for years, and when it arrived, the game rose to impressive sales and player numbers again.

That must be why several Xbox and Xbox 360 charted again on Amazon after becoming backwards compatible.

That's why people are buying millions of copies of remasters like Crash or Spyro.

Clearly people have no interest in playing old games.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant gen 7 specifically. Gen 6 is sparse but they've confirmed the BC program will resume and get new additions for both gens from publishers etc that want to support it.
There has been no official confirmation by the BC team regarding continuing adding additional 360/OG Xbox games to BC as of yet.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I get why Sony likely isn't investing in Ps3 BC, but considering all the work they've apparently already done with PS2 emulation on PS4, and also likely PS1 emulation considering ports have shown up for that as well, I really hope they announce proper PS1/PS2 BC down the line at the very least.

I've been playing my PS Vita again, and remembering how awesome having PS1 and PSP BC was. I want my PS1 and PS2 games back on my PS5.

Heck, if you can't give us PS3 Sony, as tragic as that is, give us PSP and PS Vita BC. Surely those are easier.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

I know mathematically it isn't the majority, but that number includes to much regional specific titles/sports/potentially kinect-related stuff that I don't even know about.

There are some notable exclusions (i.e. max payne 3) not to mention delisted stuff, but the vase majority of games I like/own (and I have some obscure tastes!) and my library are BC.

I had to actually rebuy some of my PS3 catalog and get 360 versions just so I could experience them with all the benefits that entail (better performance, new controller, screenshots and video captures, streaming).

And I don't own an XB1X, so I'm going to benefit from x-enhancements I never got to try on nextgen hw (like ninja gaiden 2, mirror's edge, splinter cell 1-6, etc) not to mention with current gen & 6th gen games.
This is about the only thing MS could do to get me to buy an Xbox Series anything: finish the BC for my 360 library. As it is so few of my many games I own are BC that I've been looking for a reasonable deal on a 360 just to be able to play them again. I have all but like 1 of the Cave shooters that were released here or region free (Mushihimesama, which I already owned on PS2 and have on Steam) and I feel burned by the rest of my library not being BC with the exception of Viva Pinata, Blue Dragon and EDF 2017.

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
I prefer to wait for a official announcement. But this Ubisoft message doesn't look a good sign.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I think this was obvious since Cerny made the presentation and only mentioned PS4 BC. Ppl expecting more than that is only setting themselves for disappointment. Not gonna happen.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I do find it odd the way the road to PS5 slide was presented- it was like there was space for PS1 to PS3 but it was removed...ho hum
That's one thing that was weird to me about their presentation. Why even allude to that or bring up PS3 sound hardware if you couldn't even bother to come up with a solution to play their older catalogue as it's just going to make people upset that they can't play their beloved games on your new hardware.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"PlayStation 4 players will be able to join multiplayer games with PlayStation 5 players."

I want to know how they gonna deal with 60 FPS vs 120 FPS modes on both.
Probably the same way they deal with players with base PS4s playing with PS4 Pros.

Which is to do nothing because it's not that big of a deal.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
There has been no official confirmation by the BC team regarding continuing adding additional 360/OG Xbox games to BC as of yet.

Yoooo! Remember you from the BC thread days. Good times man!

Anyways, I assumed it was based on what they've said here: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/05/28/xbox-series-x-next-generation-backward-compatibility/

The team also continues to listen to feedback from the community on additional titles you would like to see added to the compatibility program. Resurrecting titles from history often presents a complex mix of technical and licensing challenges, but the team is committed to doing everything we can to continue to preserve our collective gaming legacy.

They're also appear to be testing them and adding like new features like double FPS for select titles (I assume quick resume and AI-based HDr is something on the platform-level for all games/games across these three gens w/ all the headroom they have with the hardware)

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
With how good cheap micro PCs like Raspberry Pi's have become, getting your PS1/PS2 fix isn't all that hard these days. PS3 would have been nice but that's a whole different beast.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be nice if we had that fix available through the PS5?

Seems like the QA efforts are likely holding back software emulation efforts at PlayStation, but that's a complete guess.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Streaming PS1 and PS2 games will never be not stupid.

They are 600 mb to 4-7gb games that you could download in like 30 seconds, and instead streaming them forces you to keep consuming bandwith from a who knows where server farm, adding input lag and jaggies to the mix.

PSNow is a good service to play current stuff from outside your console, but it is worthless as a retro solution.

If they are not going to support emulators, (something that we all expected tbh) then I hope they dont support those games at all. Streaming them is a waste of everyone's resources and I''d never play them that way, and that would put an end to any minuscule hope of an emulator ever being developed.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yoooo! Remember you from the BC thread days. Good times man!

Anyways, I assumed it was based on what they've said here: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/05/28/xbox-series-x-next-generation-backward-compatibility/

They're also appear to be testing them and adding like new features like double FPS for select titles (I assume quick resume and AI-based HDr is something on the platform-level for all games/games across these three gens w/ all the headroom they have with the hardware)
Yes, they're saying they remain open to the possibility but it doesn't confirm it.

Oct 29, 2017
This is about the only thing MS could do to get me to buy an Xbox Series anything: finish the BC for my 360 library. As it is so few of my many games I own are BC that I've been looking for a reasonable deal on a 360 just to be able to play them again. I have all but like 1 of the Cave shooters that were released here or region free (Mushihimesama, which I already owned on PS2 and have on Steam) and I feel burned by the rest of my library not being BC with the exception of Viva Pinata, Blue Dragon and EDF 2017.

I'm waiting on Alpha Protocol and Singularity, among others. Hopefully they continue to expand compatibility. It's never going to be 100% though.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The only good open source PS2 emulator is x86 only, so no RPis or other ARM solutions. They're great for PS1 games, but outside of that you need something a bit beefier. The Intel Atom micros aren't really good enough for PCSX2 either and you're pretty much stuck needing Windows, so there's another $100 on top of the PC.

Or Sony could support their own games.

So link in op got updated to remove talk of older platforms.
Huh. Hopefully it's just not Sony wanting to make the same statement.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Ubisoft must have received some angry phone calls lol
They were not in a position to make that claim. (if they were told by Sony, maybe it broke NDA?)

If Sony ever decided to add true BC like they did in the past, it wouldn't have to be known by studios. Unless it's a partial recompiled BC requiring the studio to be involved with their games. And a lot of QA involved.

Last edited: