• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
A toothless, laissez-faire statement in the presentation thread last week, followed by pretty much nothing:

May as well have just said "We hear you, now onto the games"

Do better, Era.

You really over estimate the influence ERA has. ERA's nowhere near as big as Neogaf in its prime. We're still at the infancy. As others have pointed out, if they banned Ubi Soft outright, then there's no other outlet willing to expose them for who they are.

We can use the Ubi Soft game threads to constantly remind people of how bad this company is.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm a member of an industry group on Facebook and NGL, the worst posters are all Ubisofters. They'd all be banned on Era.

That is interesting if worrying information. Thank you for sharing.
————

I don't want to start a big thing about era being hypocrites because we are not a collective but the response to this controversy vs other controversies in the gaming industry has been massively disappointing to me. Same with the Harry Potter trans issue. Same with the Uyghur slave labour issue. When Blizzard fucked up with Hong Kong issues it got a huge backlash rightfully, I think the same level (at the very least) of response should be expected on these issues.

This shit with Ubisoft is horrific. I can't think of a worse controversy in gaming.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I see no foreseeable future where I'd feel comfortable supporting Ubisoft again. I've boycotted publishers for much, much less with ease. Like Jim said, Ubisoft seems thoroughly rotten to the core.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

[Liberation] Sexual harassment at Ubisoft: "We knew". (>100 cases from harassment to rape, half were known to HR, toxicity tolerated with results)

This seriously deserves another thread given it's newly reported and flying under the radar. Investigation piece by France newspaper, the Liberation - goes deeper into the deeply toxic culture at Ubisoft and how HR and leadership protects them, so long as they deliver the results...

www.resetera.com

Multiple Ubisoft leaders implicated in horrifying and systemic sexual misconduct, still not fired (details inside)

Edit: Here's a human translation of another article on the matter and parts of the one I originally linked. http://www.dulcamarra.net/2020/07/02/english-translation-of-a-press-article-by-liberation-about-allegations-against-ubisot-about-sexual-misconduct/...

Thanks for the links.

It's going to be a long fucking time before I even think about buying another product from Ubisoft again.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
Thanks for the links.

It's going to be a long fucking time before I even think about buying another product from Ubisoft again.

Nice that a video kind of rekindled the topic and thanks for reposting the threads detailing the horrifying multiple accounts of despicable, inhuman but sadly-very-human behaviors/acts.

For those not familiar with French media Liberation is a well respected institution/news outlet so the reports do hold much credibility.

To add insult to injury, yeah, there was not much traction here on this topic, got flooded with "Which Ubi will you purchase next? " kind of threads... to the point one might wonder whether there was a concerted covert effort to bury this "cannot be unread/forgotten" reports.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the games media would call them out more. Giantbomb seems to have gotten better at that, but listening to Easy Allies, they are just like "seems like Ubisoft are getting rid of the people responsible so they are doing the right thing."
This whole debacle proved to me that Easy Allies is nothing but a meaningless hype machine with little to none journalistic integrity.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
it's pathetic how little traction this has gained
all handwaved because they fired a few people and then put on an event

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
How about putting a big ol' disclaimer on every Ubisoft game thread reminding people that the company coddled abusers for years.

Would be something at least.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I don't think it's good for the forum or for anyone to forbid talking about Ubisoft games.

No, we need to talk about their games. Because talking about their games means someone will bring up the harassment and the malice going on there, and therefore someone who didn't know will now know what has been going on; have a disclaimer with information and the Liberation articles.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Yep...... I think it's time ERA to blacklist Ubisoft

Never gonna happen, they're too big.

I'm still baffled that yves guillemot will continue as CEO - you'll never convince me that he didn't know the horrid shit that was going on at the highest levels of the company.

Vegeto

Oct 26, 2017
Frankfurt
I feel like their games in the last gen have become bigger and bigger, but at the same time less creative and basically soulless.

Now that story, I am definitely out and not buying any games of Ubisoft. They have convinced me with several reasons to not buy their stuff.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I think having a symbol attached to each Ubi thread to mark them wouldn't be a bad idea.
Or a disclaimer in every thread about Ubi that they protect rapists?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
necessary video. fucking depressing. and I've just gotta say, and I hope it's not off topic, but this video just highlights how absolutely shit some people on this forum have been towards Jim in regards to the recent ND stuff. how fucking dare anybody both sides Jim under the vague notion that he's "negative" without considering what he's "negative" about and the fact that his "negativity" IS ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NECESSARY. how fucking dare anybody put him in the same bucket at the misogynists, the racists, the bigots, the angry joes, the colin mo's, that poison the video game discourse with their nastiness and their legion of toxic fans. I'll edit this is it's deemed off topic but I have been so fucking disappointed and pissed off with how some on this forum have handled his recent content all because he didn't lick the boot of one of the darlings, because he was deemed too "negative" (again, without considering what he's quote unquote "negative" about), all because he has dared to use his platform to shine a bright spotlight on the shitty goings on of the video game industry regardless of whether it's EA, Ubi, or a darling like Naughty Dog. Jim Sterling is what the game's media needs MORE of and anyone who would cast him in the same light as the shitheads should be ashamed of themselves.

love and respect

100% agreed, great post and well said. A lot of the disdain people have for Jim is because he's attacking their favourite company, it's always been transparent and it always will be

On topic, it's abhorrent what has happened and is probably still happening at Ubisoft. I hope they manage to actually sort themselves out. I'd be fine if mods wanted to add a disclaimer to Ubisoft threads for the foreseeable future so the issue isn't swept away

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
it's pathetic how little traction this has gained
all handwaved because they fired a few people and then put on an event

yep, Ubisoft threw some smoke grenades with their two weeks of "leaks" and game event and gaming media happily eat it up as well as many people who just don´t want to hear this stuff because they are/were too excited to play the same games for the third or sixth time and give a multi billion company their hard earned money, it is really sad.

another reason for people to think twice about a digital only console. if you want to play Ubi games, buy them used from here on out.
with digital sales the money goes directly to them.

and Sterling basically says what i suspected for a long time, many review outlets just don´t want to give up their privilege to get review copies, invites to preview events and other goodies so they are not covering this stuff at all or give milder scores than a game deserved here and there. but that is not only a thing when it comes to Ubisoft unfortunately. many review outlets are just an advertising arm of the publishers/industry as a whole.

Last edited:

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
How could we ever prove though when they will just make all employees sign Disclosure agreements so they don't say a word. Employees know that they'll be blacklisted form the industry if they speak up.

This seems to happen at all the biggest devs

Wasn't there an article recently that mentioned Naughty Dog doing such a thing as well? That developers have a certain arrangement where employees cannot do a job interview elsewhere because they are being denied. It is an incredibly sick industry that needs to change fast. I know it is kind of a different subject but it still boils down to the same principle. Developers have too much control over an employee.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Never gonna happen, they're too big.

I'm still baffled that yves guillemot will continue as CEO - you'll never convince me that he didn't know the horrid shit that was going on at the highest levels of the company.
Like Jim said, either he's complicit or he's a complete incompetent who couldn't notice the smoke from a trash fire that has been burning right under his nose for at least a decade.

The former is much more likely btw.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Yep...... I think it's time ERA to blacklist Ubisoft

This needs to happen. Era is supposed to be a bastion of progressive ideals. We should not be giving Ubisoft a platform to promote their games. It is ridiculous that with news provided we still allow talk of them here. It just proves Ubisoft approach to get money over everything worked since people care more about the games than people.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The same man who allowed this culture to fester and flourish on his watch in his own company now overseeing the "cultural changes" in the same company is gross as hell and not at all encouraging.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This needs to happen. Era is supposed to be a bastion of progressive ideals. We should not be giving Ubisoft a platform to promote their games. It is ridiculous that with news provided we still allow talk of them here. It just proves Ubisoft approach to get money over everything worked since people care more about the games than people.

The problem is that, if the forum bans Ubi (I wouldn't care btw), why not ban CDPR, THQ Nordic and everyone else? Soon wouldn't be any big pub left in a gaming forum.

I think the best idea is to spread awareness and demand changes, Era is basically the only gaming place that does that.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah I think banning of ALL Ubisoft products doesn't actually fix the problem, especially when Ubisoft is currently committed to making changes to fix the issue. It's too little too late for the dozens of victims, but it is steps in the right direction finally.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The problem is that, if the forum bans Ubi (I wouldn't care btw), why not ban CDPR, THQ Nordic and everyone else? Soon wouldn't be any big pub left in a gaming forum.

I think the best idea is to spread awareness and demand changes, Era is basically the only gaming place that does that.

I am completely fine with banning those companies as well until they have shown to not be a place where they value money over people.
Hell I am still surprised we continue to allow THQ after the whole 8-chan thing since the people involved still have a job there.
However, Ubisoft has over 100 cases of known sexual harassment and rape. Over a 100 known cases and they did nothing until now.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think banning of ALL Ubisoft products doesn't actually fix the problem, especially when Ubisoft is currently committed to making changes to fix the issue. It's too little too late for the dozens of victims, but it is steps in the right direction finally.
fuck ubi. We're only making changes because we finally got bad press, caught and called out on it.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
If they were committed they'd have canceled or move their teaser show back.

People stepping down isn't a sign of commitment. Those people are still gonna get paid, and get off scot free.

As Sterling pointed out, this all happened under his watch, so either he knew or he is extremely incompetent. Either should have him step down as well.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

that doesn't sound like a problem, that sounds like a solution

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like a solution to me. There are plenty of companies, both indie and AAA, that we can talk about that doesn't have sexual assault abusers, racists or homophobes working for their company.

And add Warhorse Studios to that list as well. That fuck Dan is still working there. He is a racist bitch and the reason why I will not buy Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't even remember the last time I bought a Ubisoft game, but they'll never get any more cash out of me regardless of their response.
Everyone should be blacklisting them at this point.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously Jim's best video. I hope he focuses on issues like this and crunch within the industry (his MTX videos are hit or miss and make his brand feels more like "angry gamer guy" and less "game critic").

Every Ubisoft game (and CDPR and THQ Nordic) should have a mod edit listing the known harms at the top of the thread.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to this. Well done and quite sad. Nothing to really add other than slight guilt on recently picking up Black Flag on sale. There's a chance for Ubisoft to do the right thing, but their behavior so far doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Yves has to go and I just don't see that happening. Story has to get even bigger and start pressuring investors.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Finally finished this over lunch. Good video and glad he's bringing it to light. More game journalists need to do this, but like he and others have said, on the boards here, some of the journalists are nothing more than an extension of publisher's PR branches. And that's a damn sad thing. Also wasn't aware of some of the details of the accusations. Glad I now know.

necessary video. fucking depressing. and I've just gotta say, and I hope it's not off topic, but this video just highlights how absolutely shit some people on this forum have been towards Jim in regards to the recent ND stuff. how fucking dare anybody both sides Jim under the vague notion that he's "negative" without considering what he's "negative" about and the fact that his "negativity" IS ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NECESSARY. how fucking dare anybody put him in the same bucket at the misogynists, the racists, the bigots, the angry joes, the colin mo's, that poison the video game discourse with their nastiness and their legion of toxic fans. I'll edit this is it's deemed off topic but I have been so fucking disappointed and pissed off with how some on this forum have handled his recent content all because he didn't lick the boot of one of the darlings, because he was deemed too "negative" (again, without considering what he's quote unquote "negative" about), all because he has dared to use his platform to shine a bright spotlight on the shitty goings on of the video game industry regardless of whether it's EA, Ubi, or a darling like Naughty Dog. Jim Sterling is what the game's media needs MORE of and anyone who would cast him in the same light as the shitheads should be ashamed of themselves.

love and respect

Quoting this because it needs to be repeated. He's always shown the seedy workings of these major corporations, has been on the side of consumers, and been an ally to minority groups. Those who want to pair him with the same likes of others you've mentioned are just telling on themselves.

Finally got around to this. Well done and quite sad. Nothing to really add other than slight guilt on recently picking up Black Flag on sale. There's a chance for Ubisoft to do the right thing, but their behavior so far doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Yves has to go and I just don't see that happening. Story has to get even bigger and start pressuring investors.

I almost fell into this as well. Last week, one of IGNs podcasters mentioned Far Cry 3 on sale for $3 and I almost jumped on it. Never got around to it over the weekend and now I'll definitely not after hearing this story. It's easy to say I'll be "boycotting" them now, but the last game of theirs I bought was AC Syndicate or Watch Dogs 1 YEARS ago, so I'm not sure how much weight that would really hold. But I can make an effort to avoid the sales at least.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I almost fell into this as well. Last week, one of IGNs podcasters mentioned Far Cry 3 on sale for $3 and I almost jumped on it. Never got around to it over the weekend and now I'll definitely not after hearing this story. It's easy to say I'll be "boycotting" them now, but the last game of theirs I bought was AC Syndicate or Watch Dogs 1 YEARS ago, so I'm not sure how much weight that would really hold. But I can make an effort to avoid the sales at least.
Yeah, me boycotting them doesn't do much either. The last other game of theirs I can remember buying was Mario vs Rabbids. I'll still make the effort like I do with THQ Nordic, but I'm typically just not their target demographic.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

love and respect
Yeah. It's ridiculous how people here attack Jim for being "negative" and I saw a lot of people going after him because he is somehow responsible for people attacking Naughty Dog over TLOU2. Or people being super dismissive of him because "lol oh here he goes talking about lootboxes again zzzzz". It's just sad :/

Jim is pretty much the only gaming youtuber I follow, his voice is so important and I appreciate how he'll talk about issues that other people do not. It's honestly sad how little attention this is getting on here.