• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I do like that they decided to delay their next few games to make sure they're -really- good. Not many companies would've done this

I don't know about "really" good. I think they saw pushback on monetization and decided to tweak their upcoming games to avoid the same issue, and make sure they're bug free.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a very big overreaction. Will probably pick up some more shares. My wife had just delved into their finances too and couldn't understand the dramatic price drop.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This news makes me happy. I don't like either of the current Ubisoft game formats that all of their games follow - a) bloated & repetitive massive open worlds with subpar storytelling (e.g. Far Cry 5, AC Origins/Odyssey) or b) GaaS consisting of always-online single player and multiplayer worlds (e.g. The Division 2, Ghost Recon Breakpoint).

I MUCH preferred Ubisoft from even 3 years ago. I don't even like the new Asssassin's Creed format. They're bloated, boring, and have bad stories.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I hope they don't think waiting a bit longer between releases, and when it released is going to fix their problem.
There's so much more than this, a shitty, buggy game to begin with. Live Service/Grindy bullshit fatigue.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a very big overreaction. Will probably pick up some more shares. My wife had just delved into their finances too and couldn't understand the dramatic price drop.

Most large third party publisher stock is down from last July (2018).

EA - $148 to $96
ATVI - $81.5 to $55.2
UBSFY - $24.1 to $10.4
TTWO - $126 to $125

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It wasn't just those 2 games, Watch Dogs being pushed past FY 2019 hurt them bad. That's huge deal

Nov 30, 2018
They still make quality games compared to other devs.
Everybody's knee jerk reactions about cosmetic DLC ignored of course

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
and to think this is where all of gaming was trying to head to.

Im glad they are rethinking their strategy.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have anything new to add; but still need to pipe in that going all in on GAAS model is not the best idea.

Really hope all the big publishers realize that this train they think is gravy isn't big enough for everyone.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Most large third party publisher stock is down from last July (2018).

EA - $148 to $96
ATVI - $81.5 to $55.2
UBSFY - $24.1 to $10.4
TTWO - $126 to $125
Ok, but take two is down $1. Activision basically lost Destiny. EA has been under threat of heavy regulation. But Ubisoft went down the largest amount percentage wise.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I sold my copy of The Division online last week. My net profit was about 70 cents. I've never got burned so bad on selling a used game and I've been doing it off and on since the late 90's

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, but take two is down $1. Activision basically lost Destiny. EA has been under threat of heavy regulation. But Ubisoft went down the largest amount percentage wise.

The same threat of regulation that could impact EA would also impact ATVI, UBI and TTWO (NBA2K, GTAO, RDR2 Online). Now there is always the counterpoint of a new gen starting next fall. Some of those first year AAA releases will hit it big.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The same threat of regulation that could impact EA would also impact ATVI, UBI and TTWO (NBA2K, GTAO, RDR2 Online). Now there is always the counterpoint of a new gen starting next fall. Some of those first year AAA releases will hit it big.
Of course it'll have an impact, but EA's profits are far more reliant on microtransactions.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Do not think this is the case at all, Take-Two I would guess relies more on MTX.
They all are. See the games I specifically listed under Take Two.
Should've been more specific and said loot boxes but I did forget about NBA. Either way Take Two went down a dollar so they haven't been hit to a large degree. Plus we are talking Ubisoft. What primary revenue driver would be significantly damaged by new regulations?

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
giphy.gif
don't be an ass.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Division 2 is a weird game. On paper, it made many improvements over its predecessor, but I just didn't have as much fun playing it.

The Dark Zone was a shadow of its former self, having super/ult abilities felt better than having a 4th big damage dealing weapon and I preferred many of the first game's abilities and progression (builds/gear).

I played Division 1 for a crazy amount of time. Division 2 was dropped pretty quick.

Sometimes "balance" gets in the way of fun.

I played the shit out of The Division 1. I left Destiny for it and never looked back.

The Division 2 never appealed to me at all. The setting looked mindnumbingly bland, and the graphics somehow looked worse than the first game on base consoles. It just seemed like a sloppy effort.

By that point, Destiny 2 was my go-to GAAS game and the Division 2 never showed me anything to lure me away.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't this have more to do with them delaying three of their biggest games out of this Fiscal Year than Division 2 and Breakpoint's failures?

I'd imagine that hurt their target for this Fiscal Year way more than Division 2 and Breakpoint.

No. What they announced was for the next earnings period it will be impacted by 3 games being delayed, but they wildly missed the LAST earnings period not because of any game delays (no games "didn't come out" that were supposed to) but because Division 2 and Breakpoint wildly underperformed from what they were expecting. I'd also imagine Far Cry New Dawn didn't do that hot, given that they didn't talk about it at all and it also released in the same window.

I'm sure the next Assassins Creed and Far Cry and Watch Dogs will sell well and help them out but Ubisoft seems in a precarious position, they have a certain style to their game and its pretty much there in every game they make and it feels like people are a bit fatigued of it. It wouldn't be a huge issue except the team sizes at Ubisoft are insane for the games they make and turning those kind of teams around in how they do things from "this is always how we do it" must be really difficult.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
No. What they announced was for the next earnings period it will be impacted by 3 games being delayed, but they wildly missed the LAST earnings period not because of any game delays (no games "didn't come out" that were supposed to) but because Division 2 and Breakpoint wildly underperformed from what they were expecting. I'd also imagine Far Cry New Dawn didn't do that hot, given that they didn't talk about it at all and it also released in the same window.
I thought them slashing their predictions for this fiscal year (April 2019 to April 2020) was the result of their shares falling down? That overall prediction is getting so much lower because they now don't have 3 big games releasing in this fiscal year when they had originally planned to do so.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
I can't speak for Breakpoint or Division 2 (despite getting it free with my GFX card I haven't played it yet) as reasons for the downturn, but simply the price of the games on their store I find prohibitive. Now that I have a PC that could do Far Cry 4 and Primal justice I wouldn't mind playing them but even on sale they are extortionate for a "last-gen" game, so they don't get my money.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Division 2 is a weird game. On paper, it made many improvements over its predecessor, but I just didn't have as much fun playing it.

The Dark Zone was a shadow of its former self, having super/ult abilities felt better than having a 4th big damage dealing weapon and I preferred many of the first game's abilities and progression (builds/gear).

I played Division 1 for a crazy amount of time. Division 2 was dropped pretty quick.

Sometimes "balance" gets in the way of fun.

Idk why they removed the citizens walking & talking about! That really added to the atmosphere.

Well maybe to enforce that the Factions are ruthless & yes, control point groups are often see doing patrols, gathering, etc. But that's a tactically NPC, & having struggling citizens just adds to much to the perspective.

I had some free time (6 hours) & logged on this weekend & discovered I've been voted Commander of Era's PS4 Clan 😣

D2 had lots of QOL improvements, but I definitely agree- it's weird pushing the lore & some of the gaming elements are a step backwards.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Im surprised Division 2 didn't do well, did they expect Call of Duty numbers or something? because that game was a hit on all platforms, people also beat the first end game content in hours, so there is clearly a good number of players.

Problem with TD2 is that it started off strong but once you hit endgame it was too convoluted which meant a lot of players (including myself) dropped the game. Massive made a lot of changes to the endgame (which still needs work) but how it is now is how it should have been when the game launched. But once you lose players, it's hard to get them back.