• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Why all of a sudden its and issue 6 months later instead at launch?

Because the game is "old news" now. They can sneak bullshit balancing into the game and it won't get much attention from the press, whereas it'd be a potential controversy if done during the release period.

He already done several threads about this "anti-consumer" practice that people disagreed with many times, with the arguments always being ignored by a dismissive 'BUT THERE IS A MTX STORE SO *EVERYTHING* THEY DO IS TO FORCE MTX SALES'. Might as well do an OT for it already. There's someone with a chip on his shoulder here alright and it ain't me.

What do you gain from defending a corporation's tactics that in no way shape or form benefit you? I could understand if you simply didn't find it an issue personally but you attack those that have a problem with it shows that you have your priorities backwards.

Why do this for a single player game? Why?

Because Ubisoft can get away with it and you have fanboys defending it like it's a part of their culture you're critiquing.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it always comes back to mtx huh, never entertaining the fact maybe they are making balance changes
I just started playing this weekend and I have not been swimming in Drachmae despite playing 17 hours. I can barely afford to upgrade my ship a couple of times before running out.
17 hours in this game is nothing. Wait till you reach the end and you are swimming in money.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
There's room to discuss whether a patch is positive or not (despite popular belief not all patches are good - some even break games) without trying to tie everything down to "they want you to buy MTXs, the bastards!". This is an issue ubisoft brought onto themselves by having the option to begin with but you'd expect an enthusiast forum like this one to discuss the matter further instead of falling for the obvious hanging fruit like a youtube comment section

Whether or not it is done to increase MTX leaves me cold, as I don't partake in that system. But as someone that likes AC Odyssey a whole lot... This rebalance is bad.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The money costs are no big thing for upgrading but the component hunting is real chore. Salvaging the gear is not very cost effective but obviously the only real option. I don't think I've ever seen more than say 6000 gold for selling a purple even at level 60 or so, so I'm curious where that 17k number comes from.. is there no level cap? It's going so slow at this point that I can't imagine how high you'd need to be to see that number.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I had close to a million as well and never ran into gold issues, but the update definitely made a difference because last night I was suddenly low on drachmae after upgrading a few items. I thought something was off and then realized that upgrades can now cost hundreds of thousands of drachmae. It was never close to being this expensive before.

MO5MRIQ.jpg

Holy shit that's crazy.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure this will be an actual issue given that I was never starved for gold, but I'll be the judge of that since I actually play the game.

I fully expect this to be another non-issue though, similar to the complains about "grinding" when the game launched.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I mean on the rebalancing stuff some are claiming here why is it and issue now fix they did not bother to fixed it for 6 months?

Good question. Probably changed their mind about a few things after getting months of data from their player base.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Maybe the reason SG-17 only makes threads about Ubisoft making anti-consumer decisions and doesn't make threads about them doing positive things is because the positive things should be the norm, and the anti-consumer stuff is actually important news to people? Ubisoft making "updgrading cheaper" is what should be the norm. It isn't news worthy. It's better than sucking up to every anti-consumer practice and letting Ubisoft treat you like their personal attack dog.

That's some bizarre logic. It's important news when something is anti-consumer, but isn't when something's pro-consumer?

The real logic is people are louder when they are complaining than happy, that's all.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I had close to a million as well and never ran into gold issues, but the update definitely made a difference because last night I was suddenly low on drachmae after upgrading a few items. I thought something was off and then realized that upgrades can now cost hundreds of thousands of drachmae. It was never close to being this expensive before.

MO5MRIQ.jpg
Wow. That must be a mistake.. no way this is intended.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this was Activision or EA doing this would have got much more outrage, Ubisoft gets let off easily quick
Have you ever been on this forum during a Ubisoft game launch before? In particular, this very series? Like, holy shit did you seriously not notice the multitude of AC:Odyssey outrage threads??????

Jun 26, 2018
Just FYI, you should definitely wait with major ship upgrades until you get a mercenary perk that slashes costs by %50.

Most upgrades require gold
I don't know what a mercenary perk is, but I'll be sure to check it out, thanks :)

You do know you're not using gold to upgrade your ship right
Why are you acting like you know better than me?
I've got the game running in front of me right now.
Embarrassing.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Really shitty. Was already annoyed by them raising the level cap again, but could've got over that and just stopped giving a shit about leveling. This is clearly just them trying to push more people to buy the shitty boosters. Absolutely zero chance I'll ever replay this now though.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, and I just started playing the game last week. Wish I knew about the patch before downloading it.

And its a single player game, who gives a shit if you're swimming in gold by the end of it. The difficulty is still locked behind ridiculous RPG mechanic, not currency. And all previous AC games showered you with way more money than you needed, so what's changed now?
Remember. This is a $60 singleplayer game with a $40 season pass AND microtransactions. Yet people rush to defend nerfs in singleplayer games designed to entice MTX sales. I swear this is some 5th column crap.

Welcome to the future of gaming, it's some bleak shit.
Especially when people like you are fully aware of it, make several outrage threads about it
And then still buy the game

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
i love how all the players who style of play is not affected by this patch, feel the need to shout down the players who are affected by it.

Because they're obviously liars just trying to push their own agenda. /s

This change seems weird especially since 90% of the complaints I heard about this game back when it came out were all pretty focused on how much of a grind this game becomes to play so for them to lean into that seems strange. I would still like to check this game out at some point but this has maybe pushed it further down the backlog list. lol

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Why all of a sudden its and issue 6 months later instead at launch?

They had economy rebalances as far as the first patch from october 2018

https://assassinscreed.ubisoft.com/...86/assassins-creed-odyssey-1-0-6-patch-notes-

It's not a "new" thing at all. Ubisoft can't get the balance right it seems.

I don't know what a mercenary perk is, but I'll be sure to check it out, thanks :)

Why are you acting like you know better than me?

I've got the game running in front of me right now.
Embarrassing.

You just proved my point? What you're lacking is the tablets, not gold.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
A lot of people with hot takes who clearly haven't touched the game.

Is it weird they would up gold cost and lower gains this late in the games release? Yes

However, anyone who has beat the game will tell you that gold was fucking useless in Odyssey. That shit rained down on you. I had over 1 million gold when I finished the game and that was WITH the constant paying off of bounties cuz I was lazy.

This might actually make gold a resource to be used wisely now?

EDIT: Looking at the upgrade costs I almost wonder if this is bugged? Some of them are pretty fucking high.

I'm waiting to hear something official, because I'm with you. This seems like a bug, because they note other changes in the patch notes and this is obviously a significant change worth calling out if it's intentional.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The game gets good once you hit the 20 hr mark"
ORRRRRRR, you'd understand that a common mechanic in video games like this is the further you get through the game, the larger quantities you receive from doing stuff like main quests, side quests, selling gear etc etc. They are likely not even a quarter way through this game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Whether or not it is done to increase MTX leaves me cold, as I don't partake in that system. But as someone that likes AC Odyssey a whole lot... This rebalance is bad.

If anything the biggest nerf from this patch which is barely being discussed (because people are focusing about dem scummy MTXs) are Contracts being nerfed in favour of Bounties. Which means the quests that you could do naturally by progressing in the game and gain lots of resources from it are being nerfed in favour of the shitty copypasted randomly generated ones. This is a real issue, not "things cost more gold oh noes". The 30k drachmae upgrade stuff is 90% likely a bug

"this patch is bullshit i dont have gold to upgrade my ship!"
"ship upgrades are mainly hindered by lack of tablets"
"haha gotcha! look at this screenshot where i have all the necessary upgrade parts but zero tablets! punk'd"

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Remember. This is a $60 singleplayer game with a $40 season pass AND microtransactions. Yet people rush to defend nerfs in singleplayer games designed to entice MTX sales. I swear this is some 5th column crap.

Welcome to the future of gaming, it's some bleak shit.

But SG-17 why don't you just grind for 10h straight after that money problems are a non issue /s

Or buy some juicy gold packs/booster *winkwink*

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ORRRRRRR, you'd understand that a common mechanic in video games like this is the further you get through the game, the larger quantities you receive from doing stuff like main quests, side quests, selling gear etc etc. They are likely not even a quarter way through this game.
This is true.

The further I got into the game the more awards I got and the easier I started leveling up.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

17 hours in and you think they aren't even a quarter done? Maybe if they're a completionist but otherwise they're past that point and if you played the game then you'd know it.

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, are you ok with someone buying $100 in coins and upgrade materials because you feel it doesn't effect you? Or are you ok with it because you want Ubisoft to siphon as much money from those willing to do so , as it benefits their company?

NO ONE in this thread and outside of it is BUYING $100 in coins. Let's stop right there.

This complaining is literally coming out of thin air because no one in here who is complaining is going to be doing that. Nor are they playing the game, and even if they are, they aren't going to participate in this change because they will try to game another means of making money to side swipe that. That's the problem I have with this thread...not complaining not even for the sake of complaining, but it's because it's Ubisoft. At this point, if you are playing the game and have noticed the game does not shy away from giving you money, it scratches nothing on your back to even be mad about. Disappointing? sure ....but you know that it's not going to overwhelmingly affect you in a way that literally breaks the game. Make it more difficult? Sure....but again, not nearly enough to push you to MTX so why the MYX Boogeyman over a rebalance? There was so much complaining about the grind and the MTX when the game launched and yet, none of that affected the many people who played the game, but we are back to using that excuse for a small change? Wtf? I don't get it. What really changed now?

And I can bet, that once this thread is dead and gone since it's going to lose steam after a week, watch no one care after because at the end of the day, calling it out or not, it's still not going to affect you.

Deleted member 33515

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I really want to complete Odyssey but I've started recently and I'm really struggling to earn enough so that I'm forced to do quests that are just not fun. I don't want to do chores, I want the freedom to play my way.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
If anything the biggest nerf from this patch which is barely being discussed (because people are focusing about dem scummy MTXs) are Contracts being nerfed in favour of Bounties. Which means the quests that you could do naturally by progressing in the game and gain lots of resources from it are being nerfed in favour of the shitty copypasted randomly generated ones. This is a real issue, not "things cost more gold oh noes". The 30k drachmae upgrade stuff is 90% likely a bug

I'm not talking about the fucking gold, I'm not talking about the fucking MTX. The entire economy rebalance sucks. You don't even gain materials outside gems with bounties and contracts.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
The day and age we live in, Ubisoft is able to collect so much information as more and more people play that allows them to really analyze how all the systems are behaving compared to what they expected from play tests during development. In the past, the game would be shipped and if the game unintentionally drowned you in money to the point that an entire game system was trivialized, the game would forever remain that way. Today, Ubisoft is able to tweak the systems and review how it affects the player behavior, until they're able to refine the game closer to their vision. If their Vision was for drachmae to actually carry value in their game, and for players to actually engage more than they currently are with certain gameplay features (transmogs being a big new one that people appear to be forgetting about based on the concerns of upgrading early game equipment to level 70 just to keep the visual), I think it is reasonable. As they see how the changes affect the way players engage post-patch, they can continue to adjust. This doesn't need to be villainized. Now, is there value in discussing the value of each adjustment as patches continue? Absolutely. It's just being drowned out by fear mongering.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

MO5MRIQ.jpg
That's very stupid and immersion busting

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
17 hours in and you think they aren't even a quarter done? Maybe if they're a completionist but otherwise they're past that point and if you played the game then you'd know it.
Im judging this based on my own experience doing the story + half of the side content. My save is currently at 70hrs.
But alright, we can judge by the screenshot above that the poster is level 20 so lets just say for entertainments sake they are what, half way? My point doesn't change that by the end of the game, you are swimming in drachmae.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Hot take: economic "balance" in a singleplayer action game is bullshit (particularly when MTX workarounds are offered), and amassing large amounts of gold from the loot you find is fun and doesn't negatively affect anyone.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did the same. I usually don't like Ubisoft games (I tend to hate them) but I'm 80 hours in!

I'm addicted to the outposts in this game.

Yeah, I was clearing out every point of interest at one point until half the map, then hit a wall, but still did every side and main quest. Not having to deal with the number watching made it much more fun.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I was already waiting for this game to be cheap enough for me to feel comfortable playing a game effected by microtransactions. I guess I have to wait longer for it to be even cheaper.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Why would they do this? I am so confused! Is there any good, logical reason aside from the idea that they would want to encourage microtransaction purchases?!? Oh no!

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Im not going to complain about this until I see how much this affects a NG + playthrough. It was insanely easy to get drachmae in the base game.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's super strange since they had a patch that reduced resource and gold costs for upgrades previously to make things easier. Hopefully this is a bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.