• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why does SG-17 always make these threads for a game he clearly hates and knows nothing about. We get it, you want to bury the new AssCreeds so you can get back your linear AssCreeds. This is such a bizarre compulsion, like if you misinform enough people you'll win and get your way in the end

have you even played it yet

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Going to wait and see what comes of this, and I hope more people weigh in about their experiences with the grind/lack of grind. I have never played an AC game, but Odyssey looks really good. If Ubi is EAing all over it though, I'll continue to not bother with the franchise.
Keep in mind that these changes mainly affect the "post game". I'll explain myself.

AC Odyssey has a level requirement for its missions, however the last mission level is 44 (I believe?). You can spend drachmae (gold) to upgrade your weapons to your level at any time.
The level 1-50 economy is just fine, he game gives you way more money than you need. The thing is that they added 49 more levels for the post game so people would keep earning xp and that stuff (and the post game is ENORMOUS, like, probably the same length of the main game?) and the upgrade prices and requirements at those higher levels are quite a bit high.

However, these are optional levels, and such if you never level up and remain at level 50 or whatever these changes are not of your concern; also if you level up at, say, level 80, you're already super mega powerful so not upgrading your level 60 sword isn't gonna make much difference to your playstyle.

Think of it like the old FF games, or Pokemon, how often do you reach level 99 in those games? Probably not much, that's the same thing here, people are not supposed to plow themselves into level 99, it's supposed to feel hard, maybe a bit grindy, that's how RPGs work.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The patchnotes did not mention that change. The Reddit post was edited 11 hours ago, despite being posted 2 days ago. I'm pretty sure they went back and edited that part in.
Ah I fucking knew I couldn't see that change when I looked at the notes when they were first posted. Reddit Mobile doesn't show the last edited on info.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
If i was still engaged in the game (I'm not it's a one and done like all ubi single player games for me) I'd just stop the update to be honest.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez. People really want any reason to jump down this games throat and tear it to pieces. Not even reading the thread to get any updated info.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why does SG-17 always make these threads for a game he clearly hates and knows nothing about. We get it, you want to bury the new AssCreeds so you can get back your linear AssCreeds. This is such a bizarre compulsion, like if you misinform enough people you'll win and get your way in the end

have you even played it yet
These character assassination attempts for criticizing unethical monetization practices aren't so weird. He has stated multiple times that he has played the game and likes it - it's the monetization at the expense of balanced game design he dislikes.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
These character assassination attempts for criticizing unethical monetization practices aren't so weird. He has stated multiple times that he has played the game and likes it - it's the monetization at the expense of balanced game design he dislikes.

But it's also good to have proper information, and the rush without that is what can look bad. Critique without proper facts isn't proper critique. I know this more than anyone. In this case, the numbers are off, but it does look like the patch notes were changed after the fact.

And as others have noted, there has been the stated preference for linear AC games, which have retained similar monetization since Unity. That's neither here, nor there in this specific situation.

TLDR; you can have a problem, but you best come correct.

Oct 25, 2017
I had to be about 50-52 for the other two. Depends on the build though as I spec'd heavily into Assassin

I finished the 3 storylines just in the past few days. I'm 50 now, but was 48 or 49 when I completed the last two. I've got a pretty good build and didn't have any real problems getting it done. Some boss fights were tedious, but I was also too cheap to upgrade by best gear. Didn't die in a single boss fight either, the game can be cheesed pretty easily if you want to.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
The game is fantastic, But I admit I did buy DLC for it, I ended the game with 80k, never once owned a complete set beside the beginning, where they give you a set for like 30 uplay points. Yu are way over powered at the end. and the game is fantastic. you dont need epic or legendary weapons to beat the game. invest in fire, and summon a helper for 50 seconds, strike from a distance with bow nd arrow, I beat bounty hunters 3 level above me. , they provide good money on reselling the shit they give you. Fatastic game, rivals Witcher 3 for me, may even like it better, way better then origins.

Official Patch note

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Found the exact time change: around 12 hours ago. The patch itself was available on the 26th.

Original notes:

Drachmae acquisition has been rebalanced across several sources
  • Lowered Drachmae gained with Contracts.
  • Increased Drachmae gained with Bounties and Conquest Battles.
Updated notes (new sections in bold):

Drachmae acquisition has been rebalanced across several sources
  • Increased amount from Bounties, Conquest Battles and the Arena
  • Decreased amount from Contracts, Naval battles and Equipment sold at the blacksmith

Upgrade costs don't seem by have changed much. If you were upgrading from 65 to 70 pre-patch, those costs are the same as far as I can tell. The patch added an entire level range from 70 to 99. These new gear upgrade costs are associated with those levels, capped around 50K as far as I can tell. These are not cost changes, as these are entirely new levels. This includes engraving for the new levels and another tier of ship upgrades.

As an example:
YZ4w5hc.png

Now whether you feel the costs are too high is ultimately up to you. From what I can see, there's significant discussion that the new ship upgrade tier costs entirely too much.

Thus is the correct information on this topic. Have at you.

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Found the exact time change: around 12 hours ago. The patch itself was available on the 26th.

Original notes:

Upgrade costs don't seem by have changed much. If you were upgrading from 65 to 70 pre-patch, those costs are the same as far as I can tell. The patch added an entire level range from 70 to 99. These new gear upgrade costs are associated with those levels, capped around 50K as far as I can tell. These are not cost changes, as these are entirely new levels. This includes engraving for the new levels and another tier of ship upgrades.

As an example:

Now whether you feel the costs are too high is ultimately up to you. From what I can see, there's significant discussion that the new ship upgrade tier costs entirely too much.

Thanks for helping set the record straight.

For a sec I thought I might have been going crazy with the original patch notes. So it might not have been intended as a stealth change and it might have been a perfect storm of a particular bug (for the exorbitant gear upgrade prices) with incomplete patch notes + the new ship tiers, which are really pricey.

I still think these changes to the in-game economy are Not Good, tbh. Since there's also new tiers for engravings that are also huge drachmae sinks and 29 new levels that you have to upgrade your gear if you already had everything optimised. This combined with the fact that there's no new content for the levels makes these updates kinda pointless except to artificially drive engagement up. (and you know, potentially increase the chance that you'd buy some Real Money gear packs during that time)

But that's neither here nor there.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the 3 storylines just in the past few days. I'm 50 now, but was 48 or 49 when I completed the last two. I've got a pretty good build and didn't have any real problems getting it done. Some boss fights were tedious, but I was also too cheap to upgrade by best gear. Didn't die in a single boss fight either, the game can be cheesed pretty easily if you want to.
I only had trouble with M as she was a damage sponge. It took me a couple of times until I found the right cheese for the fight with the pillars and bow.

The Cult wasnt an issue though. Just a little tedious. I guess it was only the M fight.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017

Original notes:

As an example:

So basically the OP, in his hurry to pull a Jim Sterling and strike a blow for CONSUMER RIGHTS (!!!!!11!) got the details completely wrong. Huh.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GamingBolt had all the patch notes on their website this past Monday, dated the 25th.

https://gamingbolt.com/assassins-creed-odyssey-patch-1-1-4-notes-revealed-new-game-out-today

Personally, I have realized that gamers just love shitting on Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed for some odd reason. Just don't get it. If you don't like Ubisoft or AC, don't buy their games and play something else. There's only a zillion other games in the world to choose from.

Anyway, glad that the first expansion is coming to a close as im waiting until all three episodes for the second expansion are concluded so I can jump back in with two expansions, all the Lost Tales of Greece quests and whatever else they have added between November and by the time the second expansion concludes. What's great is that since the summer will most likely be dead as usual, I'll have plenty of time to jump back in.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Read the thread before you spout off bullshit next time. See below.

That is obviously a glitch though, I would assume even you know that which makes the fact that you are using it as proof of the scandal seem like you have a vendetta against this game. Might be wrong, but it is what it looks like.

tolman

Oct 29, 2017
Keep in mind that these changes mainly affect the "post game". I'll explain myself.
However, these are optional levels, and such if you never level up and remain at level 50 or whatever these changes are not of your concern; also if you level up at, say, level 80, you're already super mega powerful so not upgrading your level 60 sword isn't gonna make much difference to your playstyle.
From my experience (lvl 70 now) you how to either upgrade your gear or find/buy new as you level up because enemies level scale up. As someone already mentioned setting max level to 99 is not a good thing for the players.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft are the masters of the push a little technique. Each yearly franchise they iterate a little more to keep normalizing.

EA is the example of when you do too much at once. Gamers have to be boiled like a frog to get them being defensive of you, rather than criticizing you.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
This part definitely isn't a fair statement. Look at the difference in numbers between a level 70 and level 99 sword as posted recently by MHWilliams - that's the kind of gap you're saying doesn't make a difference to a playstyle, and you'd be seeing similar gaps across your armour as well. So a level 80 player using level 60 stuff is going to be doing maybe 70% of the damage and able to take 75% of the damage that a level 80 player using level 80 stuff, and that difference grows as the gap increases.

A small gap is easily tolerable for all playstyles, but once it starts getting above 10 levels, playing as a warrior will still be the same (just a lot more tedious), but there'll be a worse effect on hunter and assassin styles - headshots and assassinations will stop being one-hit-kills on the majority of enemies and that's the style severely compromised.

In short, if you have specific gear that you want to be useful at your level, you really need to be upgrading it before you level too far past it. Once you get too far above it you might as well just unequip it and use random epic loots because they'll work out better.

From what I can see, there's significant discussion that the new ship upgrade tier costs entirely too much.
I think the ship costs are okay (though my opinion might change if Ubisoft keep adding more). The main issue with them based on the information that was presented in this topic was that they cost huge amounts in the context of a game where basic upgrades also cost huge amounts. Now that it's clear that upgrades are still reasonably priced, the high ship costs are more acceptable, especially since a level 70 ship with all the previous upgrade tiers is hilariously overpowered anyway.

So what's the final word here? It's a bug or designed this way?
There is some change to the costs of upgrades, but nowhere near what the topic (and one screenshot within it) led people to expect. The statement in the original post that "they've massively increased the cost for upgrading gear" is flat-out incorrect.

There are new ship upgrade tiers and they are super-expensive compared to previous ship upgrades. (They are also super-effective compared to previous upgrades, and are currently unnecessary as a ship without these upgrades can still easily take on any ship in the world).

There are changes to the amount you get from selling weapons and armour to blacksmiths, but generally speaking this was a bad idea anyway, it is almost always better to dismantle these items as you get a variety of resources from this. So a bad move, economically, became a worse move.

The gold rewarded from doing some common activities was changed, in some cases increasing, in others decreasing. I don't think we have good visibility of the exact difference. The main effect will be due to the reduction in gold from contracts and naval battles - piling up as many contracts as possible is the fastest way to level up so probably a decent portion of gold earned by fast levellers is due to contract rewards. However gold has increased from conquest battles and the arena and contract missions can often push you towards doing conquest or arena battles, so this might even out.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like when you have a threadmark like that, that completely clarifies and nullifies the major part of the OP and title, you really need to adjust the title; it's complete misinformation that you can tell people are just eager to eat up judging by the shitposts still coming in.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
It was obvious the game balance was designed to encourage pay to win microtransactions from the get go, but this is especially scummy.

This raises a question I thought if a while back. If someone (you know, a totally hypothetical person who is totally not me) were to use Cheat Engine to increase gold and exp gain instead of paying real money for a "boost," would that be considered piracy? In my book it isn't and shouldn't be, but I wonder how others, and how the law, feels about it.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why has there been a thread mark been added but the title still remains as is? When it's clearly incorrect

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Based on the findings in the threadmarked post, it seems the original thread premise was inaccurate. Therefore this thread is locked to further replies

Status
Not open for further replies.