• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Part of me wants to pick Mat's brain to see if there's a specific rhyme or a reason to that happening? Or is it just something like they're just all gung ho on pushing their own store in marketing

As i replied to him that is kinda not honest way to look at things. Division 2 is sequel to popular game so game would probably have higher pre-orders no matter what.

What growing list ? Only The Division 2 and Metro Exodus did as such.

He probably meant CoD BO4 but again that is not honest way to look at things, CoD numbers were up largely because of BR mode.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
People are seriously misreading that statement. Ubisoft is saying Pre-orders are higher overall with Uplay experiencing a 6 times increase.

Without knowing the ratio of Uplay to non-Uplay for Division 1 it still is feasible that EGS is still getting a lot of pre-orders.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It kinda feels like Epic got played for fools with this deal. Of course people are gonna pick uPlay over EGS lol

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
People are seriously misreading that statement. Ubisoft is saying Pre-orders are higher overall with Uplay experiencing a 6 times increase.

Without knowing the ratio of Uplay to non-Uplay for Division 1 it still is feasible that EGS is still getting a lot of pre-orders.
Do keep in mind that if you have ever played a Ubi game on PC before, you already have Uplay. A lot of pre orders for the Epic store is stretching it. Unless, somehow a bunch of Fortnite only players have suddenly decided to buy the Division 2. Hint...they still need Uplay.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
It kinda feels like Epic got played for fools with this deal. Of course people are gonna pick uPlay over EGS lol

That's kind of what it looks like, but Epic's made it clear their primary motive is actively hurting Steam so greasing the wheels on getting Ubisoft off is probably in their interest even if the bulk of the immediate benefit goes to Ubisoft rather than Epic.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Do keep in mind that if you have ever played a Ubi game on PC before, you already have Uplay. A lot of pre orders for the Epic store is stretching it. Unless, somehow a bunch of Fortnite only players have suddenly decided to buy the Division 2. Hint...they still need Uplay.
Ofcourse you need uplay to run it but you don't need uplay to pre-order. Considering how much Steam gets overall sales it would be something else if Uplay got more than 30% of the preorders for Division 1.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is those multi-million sellers of Ubisoft games on Steam, all of those owners have uplay installed (unless they quit playing said game and uninstalled uplay). We already know uplay sales are high for their games due to 3rd party key sites and physical copies coming with uplay codes. Plus Uplay isn't hated like Origin or other non-steam clients.

Ubisoft wins here. Doubt the sales of Division 2 will be much lower than Division 1, but they get 100% of the profit (since the number of people who wil buy on the epic store is probably low, but who knows I could be wrong).

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Why did I see someone in Mat's replies saying preorders were bad so they're bundling in a game

That is a standard thing to boost preorders and almost all the games they're offering are ones with copious DLC

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Can anyone who listened to call explain why Ubi seemed so cagey about AC Odyssey sales figures?

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I'm honestly surprised, the lukewarm reception here on ERA would indicate that this wasn't the follow up to the best selling new IP of the generation 😂.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm honestly surprised, the lukewarm reception here on ERA would indicate that this wasn't the follow up to the best selling new IP of the generation 😂.

If I'm honest, Era has a pretty big blind spot when it comes to Ubi games

Ghost Recon Wildlands was absolutely massive, but you wouldn't know it from in here
The rest of their games have very quietly done big numbers too, continuously

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Why did I see someone in Mat's replies saying preorders were bad so they're bundling in a game

That is a standard thing to boost preorders and almost all the games they're offering are ones with copious DLC
Uplay especially gives stuff away and has wild sales all the time.

It seems Ubisoft is all about the launch window.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see Ubisoft is going for the PuA tactic of getting a ugly wingman to make yourself more attractive in comparison.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Part of me wants to pick Mat's brain to see if there's a specific rhyme or a reason to that happening? Or is it just something like they're just all gung ho on pushing their own store in marketing

I can't wrap my head around the idea that pulling the game from Steam has increased preorders.

I think preorders have gone up from the first game to the second game.

And I think they have pulled the sequel from Steam.

But pulling the sequel from Steam has not been the cause of increased preorders.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on the Uplay train for a while now. That double launcher thing they pull on Steam is annoying as heck.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I can't wrap my head around the idea that pulling the game from Steam has increased preorders.

But pulling the sequel from Steam has not been the cause of increased preorders.

Yeah I'm thinking it's more about them just dumping all their marketing buckaroos into pushing uPlay tbh

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't make sense for them to release it on Steam anyway. It'd still require (and launch) Uplay on every launch of the game and people wanting it in their Steam library can still add the .exe to show the game in the library and the get the Steam overlay.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't make sense for them to release it on Steam anyway. It'd still require (and launch) Uplay on every launch of the game and people wanting it in their Steam library can still add the .exe to show the game in the library and the get the Steam overlay.

If it was that easy, things would be perfect.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

It seems like the less ambiguous phrasing would've been: Division 2 pre-orders up in comparison to first game despite leaving Steam.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm thinking it's more about them just dumping all their marketing buckaroos into pushing uPlay tbh
Well I think they did a reasonably good job of supporting the first game, and plenty of people picked it up on the cheap way after release, and these are the audience for a sequel.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ghost Recon Wildlands was absolutely massive, but you wouldn't know it from in here
Yeah, I had a similar take.

HfQHCNP.png

These looter\GAAS titles are in demand right now. Just not on ERA I guess :P

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

true, also R6 Siege , I will not be surprised if D2 sells more than D1

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, If im buying Division 2 I will also do it on UPlay, so of course there will be an icnrease when leaving Steam.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
who is pre-ordering a game a month before the release??

I preordered the digital gold edition on Xbox Live before the private beta even went up. My friends and I were huge into the first one and we had no doubts on our minds Ubisoft would deliver with the 2nd because of how much they supported the first one.

Cannot wait till March 11th.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody thinks that, as far as I can tell.

People want the game. What the numbers we've seen show is that the AAA publishers don't need Steam. They have enough presence that people are going to buy their game, no matter where it is.

Why wouldn't they be? This isn't unique to Ubisoft.
Ubisoft goes hard in on digital sales after only a month or two, though. Most publishers try to ride it out to maximize profit, but even when Ubisoft games are selling well, they'll hand out 50% discounts like candy.

It seems Ubisoft is wanting to transition to GaaS revenue over retail revenue a lot more than some of the other publishers (trading the money you make from selling the game for money you make by having more people playing and paying).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
More and more I think this dude has no idea how to interpret data.
The Division 2 was always going to do The Division 1. It will happen on consoles too. That has nothing to do with Steam.

Data interpretation is a field in and of itself. Bad interpretation and bad communication of results happens very often unfortunately.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I think this is a spin. They say it's higher than the first game and then continue to add saying 6 times more on uplay. I think the statements shouldn't be taken seperate but as a whole.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What my tweet states is that games are "seeing better results and higher margins." Emphasis on margins.

I didn't say that leaving Steam causes higher pre-orders. There are an unquantifiable number of factors that influence consumer behavior and cause pre-orders (which never are on a normalized sales trajectory) to do what they do.

Only point is that it's another example of a company being pleased with the results they've seen so far by moving away from Steam to other storefronts and strategies. No idea if it continues or to what scale.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I called it. They built a community with The Division though many stores, then went the EGS/uPlay route to increase direct sales.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it is all the pre order bonuses like beta access? And it is hilarious that Epic is paying Ubisoft to keep it off Steam while getting the vast majority of preorders on Uplay.

I might have preorderd if the 20% off Uplay codes you get from points worked in the US. Unlike the UK where you can use it on preorders repeatedly, in the US it is a one time use thing and only can be used on games 3 months old that aren't on sale, ie, kind of useless aside from using it on DLC that's rarely discounted outside of gold editions.