• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on Ubi's willingness to keep working with Epic's store actually.

There is no downside for Ubisoft here. None. They take the fat bag of money, the preorders stay up on Steam until release for the people that want it on Steam. They then sell it on their own store as well, which is for the people turned off by Epic. The sales results are literally irrelevant, and you can even bet that if anything was selling well on the Epic Store then Tim would be thumping his chest about numbers.

Hypothetically Ubisoft games could sell 10 copies each on Epic while honoring Steam preorders and continuing to sell on their own store, and Ubisoft would continue to take Epic's money up front. Ubi can't lose here and it's got nothing to do with how a title sells on Epic.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Because then EPIC is the boogy-man and not Ubi and people are more willing to get it on uPlay.

Ah ok. I could still see Ubi approaching EPIC and not the other way around.
Don't forget these publishers always wanted to skip steam in favor of their own stores anyway. Making it EGS and their own store exclusive is just the more convenient solution for that right now.

The more convenient solution is going Uplay only since Uplay is bigger than EGS.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I actually didn't say anything about sales figures on one store or other, only that people were downplaying the success of The Division 2. But sure, we can assume that The Division 2 sold zero copies on Epic's store which is why they were eager to secure exclusivity for another title that will sell zero copies on their store. But that's a stretch.

Even if they sold 0 copies they dont care:
Epic PAID a minimum of copies.
If they paid for 200k copies, they dont care about selling 0 on EGS. For them it's the same as selling 200k on EGS since it's the money they paid upfront.

Regian

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Why is everything on the Epic Games Store nowadays? Couldn't we just have one store, like steam?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
The Division 2 was and still is available on GMG. It's even 15% off currently.
1553946240-img-20190320-182723.jpg

( that being said GMG might still be the only exception, since I remember reading that epic has a deal with GMG, but I think it's only for EGS key )

either way this is the before/after of The division 2 based on isthereanydeal :

1553947173-img-20190320-182.jpg

In case there is any doubt :
The Division 2 to not be sold on any 3rd party sites after March 15th, following Epic's deal with Ubisoft [Up: Pulled from third-party stores]
Tim Sweeney confirms Epic is paying to keep games off third party sellers (Inc The Division 2)

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It was to be expected, as will probably all UBI games in the future until Steam lowers it's rates.

But at least, it's still available on Uplay as well. So you can still play the game without having to deal with the Epic Game Shit.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I don't really get why people buy Ubisoft games on platforms other than uPlay. It's infuriating to launch Anno 2070 on Steam only to be redirected to uPlay anyway.

Some Ubi games support Steam achievements.
Those are the games I buy on Steam.

Also I have never messed with uplay in any way besides creating the account. When playing AC: Odyssey for example you never see anything from uplay besides a small popup when you launch the game.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Does Valve have a plan to prevent this from happening again the future ? They certainly shouldn't be allowing Devs/Pubs to let people pre-order a game if its going to be removed from Steam in the future

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Does Valve have a plan to prevent this from happening again the future ? They certainly shouldn't be allowing Devs/Pubs to let people pre-order a game if its going to be removed from Steam in the future

They probably can't do anything for existing games. But they will probably do something about unannounced games.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

This will always happen to some extent. Valve can probably do more to give publishers an incentive to be on Steam as well, but as long as Epic moneyhats devs like this, it will continue to happen.

There's no reason to not be on both Steam and Epic, other then Epic paying for games to be only there.

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird how this is being reported as Epic exclusive, when it's also on Uplay. Is that, like, on purpose?

Game Informer said:
Previously announced as a Steam game, Anno 1800, the city-building RTS set in, you guessed it, the year 1800, will be released exclusively on the Epic Games Store

These are huge respectable sites and that's plainly wrong. What's going on?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just the tweets, Game Informer never mentions Uplay and in the other one it's barely a side note.
They both mention that it's available from Ubisoft's store (though one opts for that phrasing instead of 'uPlay').

If you're going to criticise them, please read the articles first.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I missed that, sorry. It's literally the last word after a confusing headline and using the word "exclusively" before.
Unfortunately, exclusive has become a really troublesome word.

Like, it's kinda a bummer how the term 'exclusive' can now mean anywhere from 'availably solely on' to 'available everywhere, except..."

OP
OP
Nerun

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
People seem to want to buy it now, before it's "removed" from Steam on release day:
  • 6th place locally (Germany in Top Sellers currently)
  • Top 20 globally

as mentioned, I don't really mind in that case, because with Ubisoft games I'm going to use Uplay anyway, because it's needed in the end, so why bother with another launcher on top like Steam or EGS.

Guess most, if not all Ubisoft games will release on Uplay and EGS going forward, they already explained that they will deepen their cooperation at GDC.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Ubisofts strategy works, because this stupid exclusive deal made me preorder the game for Uplay at 24% off. Since I assumed the third party shops would not be allowed to sell it either, after release date, like Division 2.

I dont see a big problem in Ubisoft not releasing their games on Steam anymore (outside the loss of easy modding features etc). But not allowing keys to be sold outside of Uplay and EGS, that is bad for competition.