• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Rayman Origins is a top tier platformer among the likes of Donkey Kong Country 2 and Yoshi's Island, and is the best 2D platformer of the last decade with only Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze getting into its vicinity (and Tropical Freeze is fucking baller so that was really hard to write).

It's a shame that Legends is the one constantly getting ported while Origins is left in the bin.
Yeah, I'm definitely Origins over Legends.

Legends takes the crown for music and artsyle and world design, but Origins is just more fun to play and had way more gameplay variety.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Legends would have been better than Origins had they not had any of that Murphy stuff. Loved everything else about it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't Legends keep the mosquito levels?

And I thought the treasure chasing levels were better than their Legends equivalent.
Well, I would hope that if they hadn't done any Murphy stuff, they would have filled in that content with more regular levels and maybe even some kind of Mosquito-level equivalent.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I would hope that if they hadn't done any Murphy stuff, they would have filled in that content with more regular levels and maybe even some kind of Mosquito-level equivalent.
It's frustrating because I'd much rather LOOK at Legends, but I know Origins is more fun to play, but Origins artstyle is so flat to me now. Wish all of Origins got the visual upgrade. Curious if they have a new artstyle this time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think all of legends' issues come from it being designed for wii u initially. if it was made for conventional controls from the beginning i imagine it would have been much closer to origins in level design.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
i think all of legends' issues come from it being designed for wii u initially. if it was made for conventional controls from the beginning i imagine it would have been much closer to origins in level design.
Yup, absolutely. It's a shame really. I still think it's a fantastic game, but overall Origins is the tighter platformer experience because it doesn't have any one detrimental element.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, absolutely. It's a shame really. I still think it's a fantastic game, but overall Origins is the tighter platformer experience because it doesn't have any one detrimental element.
what's worse is that legends just feels like an inferior game on other platforms, but that's where most people played it. the "press A to do the thing touch screen was supposed to do" is just bad design imo.
i guess even with all of that, there must be something great about it since so many people consider it one of the best platformers ever.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legends to me just feels unfocused. Origins is so tightly designed with its constant introduction of new powers ending in a roundtrip to the previous worlds with new maps to traverse with your maxed out characters, and there's some pretty strong environmental storytelling going on too. Legends takes the SM64 route and lets you beat the game with like half the levels unfinished.

And nothing in Legends matches up to the flying Clock Punk fortress world.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
what's worse is that legends just feels like an inferior game on other platforms, but that's where most people played it. the "press A to do the thing touch screen was supposed to do" is just bad design imo.
i guess even with all of that, there must be something great about it since so many people consider it one of the best platformers ever.
That's a good point. I first played it on Vita, where it has the same kind of user experience as on Wii U, and I adored the game. Wasn't sure why I seemed to like it more than most. I eventually played it on PS4 and Switch, and my opinion on the game is definitely worse nowadays. While I still think Murphy levels were a mistake, it was certainly meant to be played on Wii U (and Vita) and it was a better game on those two systems.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a good point. I first played it on Vita, where it has the same kind of user experience as on Wii U, and I adored the game. Wasn't sure why I seemed to like it more than most. I eventually played it on PS4 and Switch, and my opinion on the game is definitely worse nowadays. While I still think Murphy levels were a mistake, it was certainly meant to be played on Wii U (and Vita) and it was a better game on those two systems.
what's funny is that they could have brought the same gameplay to switch in handled mode, but instead they came up with this weird new mode where rayman is controlled by the game and you're only in control of the touch screen.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
A new Rayman game would be the best news ever. Not counting on it happening though.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
There are a ton of Rayman things I'd love to see, from remakes to new entries without the Rabbids...

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
This is starting in 15 minutes.

www.twitch.tv

Ubisoft - Twitch

Welcome to Ubisoft's Official Twitch channel!

Remember: watch 30 minutes of the speedrun with a Twitch account linked to your Uplay account, and you will receive Rayman Origins for free. If you want the freebie and still need to link your accounts, now's the time. Besides the freebie, it should be a fun speedrun as well.

Let's hope for a Rayman announcement together!

Status
Not open for further replies.