• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit ubisoft sucks. Splinter Cell VR probably would have been ass anyway tbh, I doubt they would have committed the resources to make it good

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ghost Recon Frontlines looked awful so no real loss there. This has to be the worst year Ubi has had in a long time, if ever though. Only saving grace is Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope otherwise their slate of games is rough. The future of AC also seems like it's going in the wrong direction too.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Im just praying this will be a capcom situation, they clean up what isn't working and focus on games that people want. Capcom is in a very different spot 5-10 years ago.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Ohhh gotcha. My flagrant misunderstanding/misremembering then.

No worries. Most outlets didn't report the nuance pertaining to the M&A exploration from Ubisoft. Of course, they're still obligated to entertain potential interest from strategic buyers as well i.e., MS/Sony/Tencent etc., but the reason for private equity was about retaining control for the family, if PE were interested.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Sad for my ex-colleagues from Bucharest. I never was on the Ghost Recon project, luckily, cause they went through a LOT of shit to make it happen, HQ kept pinging back different arbitrary demands, and now after all that pain it is canned.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
No fan is going to shed tears over Frontlines, but it must suck for those who were working on it.

Didn't even know there was a SC VR.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Sad for my ex-colleagues from Bucharest. I never was on the Ghost Recon project, luckily, cause they went through a LOT of shit to make it happen, HQ kept pinging back different arbitrary demands, and now after all that pain it is canned.

Woof, what a headache. When they pushed back the beta/testing phase after its reveal I was hoping it'd re-emerge into something more promising and more well received (kind of like what folks expected from Resident Evil RE:Verse). That sucks.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
DO you have a link to this report? Not doubting just genuinely curious as I hadn't heard this (though if its Bloomberg I assume its paywall'd?)
https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-acquisition-buyout-assassin-s-creed-far-cry-gho-1848831498
Some quotes:
According to Kotaku's sources, Ubisoft has been working closely with several outside consultancy firms in recent years to audit various parts of its business. While companies will do this to become more profitable and prepare for the future, sources Kotaku spoke with suggest it's a sign Ubisoft's trying to tidy up its books for a potential sale.

CEO Yves Guillemot famously fended off a hostile takeover attempt by French media conglomerate Vivendi after securing funding from Tencent and others in 2018. But some sources currently and formerly within the company now believe the 35-year video game industry veteran might be looking for an exit strategy.

They point to the departure of his son Charlie Guillemot last year resulting in no relatives left to take over the family business. Ubisoft has also been hit by an ongoing wave of attrition among its senior talent. It continues to struggle with the aftermath of a workplace reckoning over sexual misconduct that began in the summer of 2020. And some of its biggest projects continue to face upheaval, delays, or be trapped in development hell.

To add to that, their valuation has been more than divided by 2 since 2018 and their net profit was down 24% in 2021.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope this means Ubisoft is confident in XDefiant! My most anticipated game right now.

My guess for one of the two unannounced games is Pathfinder.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
AC is going to become or already is Ubisofts COD. Espect more of their studios to be put on the franchise, especially with AC Infinity.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Wait, I thought all major AC entries were just going to be updates inside "Infinity?" I understand whatever Rift is will probably launch before Infinity, but this "big" new Asia game is going to ship outside their highly touted AC platform?

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
We don't deserve games like Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia. Hope y'all are ready for more skill trees, map markers and climbable ledges

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks for the teams who worked on those projects. never fun when your project gets killed even if it's a lousy project from some fan's perspectives.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Damn I would've have loved a Splinter Cell VR game. Is that rumoured MGS VR game still alive?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Evidently For Honor just had a live stream where they announced a new hero, an Egyptian medjay.

Does that game even have modern console support yet?

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced the higher ups just have no idea what they are doing. This has been going on for awhile and it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if they're hoping The Division Heartlands fills in that BR gap and sacrificed Ghost Recon for it. Granted Heartlands is supposed to be PvPvE so we'll see.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
And why is this a bad thing? VR games, Free to Play games and something we have no idea about.

Seems good to me, focus on an actual Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon game instead.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they're hoping The Division Heartlands fills in that BR gap and sacrificed Ghost Recon for it. Granted Heartlands is supposed to be PvPvE so we'll see.

For a company so focused on post launch support and GaaS, I don't know how they thought they could support so many games while also competing with so many others. Like CoD and Fortnite literally have almost a thousand people on them each to be able to manage their season release schedule. Half assing a half dozen releases wasn't a sound strategy.

Jul 26, 2018
Ghost Recon Frontline

- Announced on October 6, 2021
- On January 28th, 2022, Ubisoft launched a closed beta for the game under confidentiality agreements, although gameplay soon leaked onto Twitch
- On 21 July 2022, Ubisoft announced that it had cancelled development of the game.[4]

Jul 26, 2018
Man, Ubisoft has great IPs, great studios, great technology, and their games have a good fan base... it's really sad that their leadership is so weak :/

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Three more Assassin's Creed games!

Uc3usJ0.gif

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
And why is this a bad thing? VR games, Free to Play games and something we have no idea about.

Seems good to me, focus on an actual Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon game instead.
Because ever since they announced Splinter Cell VR, it's been my most anticipated VR game. Doing slower-paced stealth, using spy gadgets, peeking and crouch-walking, all of that would have been a visceral experience.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I am a bit worried about this industry honestly. Ubisoft has thousands of developers and is one of the biggest third party publisher. Something needs to be done about development cost and how many developers are needed.

Oct 30, 2017
For a company so focused on post launch support and GaaS, I don't know how they thought they could support so many games while also competing with so many others. Like CoD and Fortnite literally have almost a thousand people on them each to be able to manage their season release schedule. Half assing a half dozen releases wasn't a sound strategy.
For sure. GaaS sort of encourages the player to not divest themselves across multiple games. Ubi's approach is taking GaaS but trying to spread it to as many IPs as possible. This results in a pretty diluted or thinned pool of players across multiple titles. It also means a massive undertaking of upkeeping all these games and providing incentives for players to stick around.

I'm more of a single-player type of person and the only GaaS title I've played consistently has been The Division 2. Any attempts to keep up with multiple titles of similar ilk is very difficult for me. I'd much rather publishers invest fully in a select number of titles rather than churn out these GaaS that ultimately crash and burn within the first year.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Hopefully the two cancelled games were very early in dev or mobile games, and not The Crew 3 or Immortals 2.
I need a sequel to the crew. I never liked the franchise as much as FH, but competition is good and the Crew had some great ideas like implementing bikes or integrating race tracks into the open world. Didn't play (enough) of Immortals yet.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
I just want a Splinter Cell game. Why do they try to fuck around so much? Just fire the Crypto bros division. Nobody wants them anyway.