• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2019
FlawlessNauticalFlamingo-small.gif

ohshit.jpg

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
What do you want them to say "We are sorry about the 100+ cases of harrassment within our company, but LOOK AT ALL THESE VIDEOGAMES!" ?

Them speaking about the harrassment would be tasteless and tone deaf. If anything, the show should be delayed but it won't be.

Yeah there is no way these two things can exist on the same show. Guillemot did release a statement on a blog post promising to open up "listening sessions" to aid victims but I doubt if most people considering whether to see this, read that.

It should have been delayed and there should have been a video a week before this announcement, addressing the outcome of the allegations and measures taken to prevent that.

I for one won't be able to enjoy or support Ubisoft presently. They need to clean up the garbage from top-down and compensate the victims and tear down the toxic culture. There is no piece of entertainment that's worth ignoring tears of sexual assault victims.

Mmmm can we not talk about the other stuff in here over 100 complaints of toxic culture and sexual harassment...just a suggestion,there's plenty of posts about the allegations and all elsewhere here...

FUCK NO.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... The thing not only is widespread, but it comes from the upper management, it's ingrained in the company, from the other thread:

Rodrigues solitaire:
The Guillemot family is majority shareholder of Ubisoft by a fair margin so Yves will never go. Plus half the board of directors are Guillemot brothers. Getting a voting bloc together to oust him is next to impossible - not with the current financial performance of the company.

Others in the management team can - and should - get fired though.

Maxime:
Not breaking news, but the union Solidaires Informatiques within Ubisoft Paris is asking for the resignation of Hascoët but also the 'Chief Talent & Communications Officer at Ubisoft' Cécile Cornet:

Hascoët, Cornet

Démissions !

So Yves' second in command:
UbisoftParis_Affichage_006Hascoet.png

Morrigan:

Translation [Content Warning: gross sexual harassment, homophobic slurs]:

Serge, surrounded by his VPs, told woman she "wasn't getting properly fucked" and impeded on his creativity. He said "her mind needs to be expanded by having her ass pounded over and over by big dicks until she gets it".

He forces creative directors to drink until they get sick. He asks the waitress to bring in all the booze in the restaurant (paid by the business of course) and howls, "You're a fa***t if you don't drink!"

In a work meeting, he seats people by alternating men and women, before whispering into the ears of various team leaders: "Ooh, there's sexual tension here. We'll need to do something about it before the end of the meeting."

Note: this man is still not fired, and likely never will be. His face is proudly shown on the Ubisoft leadership website.

And this will be swept under the rug, they know we have short attention span, more in lieu of videogame announcements:

UbisoftParis_Affichage_006Cornet.png

Cécile Cornet was clearing HR's image. [...] what is said is that HR should be cleansed of all responsibility. What I understand is that Ubisoft will punish just a few people, the most visible, just to look good on the outside, but that they will save all the toxic people whose names have not come out fiercely. The goal has a date: The management hopes that we will not talk about the Ubisoft scandal in a week.

"Yves is OK with toxicity in the management, as long as the results of these executives exceed their level of toxicity."

At the time, (some workers) had already recommended integrating the themes of harassment and discrimination, but the HR department [Leaded by Cécile Cornet] had explicitly refused, fearing a large scale unveil.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If Ubisoft Forward has enough exciting announcements it will be more than enough to wash over the news of various allegations against higher-ups and HR unfortunately

Look at how quickly people forgot about Blizzard's actions after Blizzcon last year

Discussion guidelines

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The rampant sexual misconduct happening at various Ubisoft studios is horrific, and indicative of major issues in the gaming industry. We will not silence any criticism of Ubisoft, or any other company, concerning those issues. Spreading awareness is important, but pointing fingers and accusing other members is not helpful. A blanket ban of these publishers and developers will not be occurring.

In threads on the games, bringing up the issues is perfectly fine, but do not attack other members for discussing the games. Absolutely do not dismiss concerns around those issues either. We remind everyone that drive-by posts in threads on sensitive topics (such as sexual misconduct, bigotry, etc.) will continue to be moderated accordingly, as is our policy.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
User banned (5 days): Trolling and hostility over multiple posts.
Posts like this offer literally nothing to the discussion. Like, if you know you don't care don't watch?
Ah yes, unlike the "Omg, I'm so excited for this" posts. Those add a lot to the discussion, right? Yes, those really get the conversation going.
Ok, Ubi fanboy.
Imagine using this dumb "if you dont like it, why are you here?" rhetoric in an online forum.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As I said in the other thread, I find it extremely gross that we have a dedicated thread about Ubisoft's big commercial that is going to overshadow the recent stories about the rampant sexual misconduct at the company. Separate threads about announcements and trailers will be made anyway, I don't think we need to promote a marketing event more than is necessary, especially right now. I really hope the admins and mods reconsider their position on this.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, might as well rename the OT to "No Surprises Left" or something along those lines.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's mentioned yet, but there's a Ubisoft Forward sale going on Uplay and you can get an extra 20% off by using UBIFORWARD as a promotion code. Just grabbed Division 2 Warlords of New York as it's the cheapest it's ever been right now.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Will grab Watch Dogs 2 for free, and guess am interested if God and Monsters pops up here. Not looking good with some recent stuff through.....

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I also agree that its weird to celebrate Ubisoft games while sexual misconduct if going on at Ubisoft. I mean, the two are inextricably linked.

No wonder a lot of Ubisoft games feel like soulless cash grabs. The company itself is soulless.

Deleted member 70647

Banned
May 31, 2020
I think it may be kinda obvious that I want a new Rayman game. I doubt it's gonna happen tho. Would love to see more of Beyond Good and Evil 2 or stuff along the lines of Mario and Rabbids 2 or a Scott Pilgrim rerelease!

Oct 25, 2017
The only game I am super excited about is Beyond Good & Evil 2. I haven't seen anything along the lines of "oh it won't be there this year" like they usually do, so I like to think it'll be there.

That said, I wouldn't mind hearing more about Skull and Bones or that Avatar game.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, unlike the "Omg, I'm so excited for this" posts. Those add a lot to the discussion, right? Yes, those really get the conversation going.
Ok, Ubi fanboy.
Imagine using this dumb "if you dont like it, why are you here?" rhetoric in an online forum.

Yeah I've seen this argument before, and honestly? Positivity does add more than empty negativity. If you've got some criticism, I'm fine with that, it's welcome. You wanna trash Ubisoft for it's practices? Go for that too. But empty negativity feels pointless.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
www.resetera.com

[Liberation] Sexual harassment at Ubisoft: "We knew". (>100 cases from harassment to rape, half were known to HR, toxicity tolerated with results)

This seriously deserves another thread given it's newly reported and flying under the radar. Investigation piece by France newspaper, the Liberation - goes deeper into the deeply toxic culture at Ubisoft and how HR and leadership protects them, so long as they deliver the results...

www.resetera.com

Multiple Ubisoft leaders implicated in horrifying and systemic sexual misconduct, still not fired (details inside)

Edit: Here's a human translation of another article on the matter and parts of the one I originally linked. http://www.dulcamarra.net/2020/07/02/english-translation-of-a-press-article-by-liberation-about-allegations-against-ubisot-about-sexual-misconduct/...

Some reference in op please.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
User warned: Hostile generalizations
I will not boycott Ubisoft for one reason and one reason only.

Sexual harassment is rampant in the games industry. Every single AAA publisher is exactly like Ubisoft. Do not fool yourself into thinking that somehow Ubisoft is worse than any other, they are not.

There's a reason there is a "whisper network" in the industry among the women, warning what men need to be avoided or otherwise dealt with.

There is a reason why you will see studio photos that have 95% men and 5% women, photo after photo, and then all of a sudden you will see a company that is almost 50% men and 50% women. That's a studio that has less sexual harassment than is normal for the industry.

Have you ever noticed that outside of mobile or facebook games you very rarely see any women developers in the 40s, 50s, or older? Do you believe the misogynistic excuse that "those games" are what women like and play? How convenient for all involved.

Women in the industry have endured and will continue to endure treatment that is worse than anything that's been sniffed out by a game journalist. Much worse.

Boycotting Ubisoft is hypocritical if you are not also willing to boycott the games industry as a whole.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Official Staff Communication
The rampant sexual misconduct happening at various Ubisoft studios is horrific, and indicative of major issues in the gaming industry. We will not silence any criticism of Ubisoft, or any other company, concerning those issues. Spreading awareness is important, but pointing fingers and accusing other members is not helpful. A blanket ban of these publishers and developers will not be occurring.

In threads on the games, bringing up the issues is perfectly fine, but do not attack other members for discussing the games. Absolutely do not dismiss concerns around those issues either. We remind everyone that drive-by posts in threads on sensitive topics (such as sexual misconduct, bigotry, etc.) will continue to be moderated accordingly, as is our policy.
Yup. This is the way it should be.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Yeah I've seen this argument before, and honestly? Positivity does add more than empty negativity. If you've got some criticism, I'm fine with that, it's welcome. You wanna trash Ubisoft for it's practices? Go for that too. But empty negativity feels pointless.
Where's the empty negativity in pointing out Ubisoft's staleness? It's the truth. Nowadays they survive by recycling IPs created over 10 years ago.
All their new IPs (BG&E2, Skull&Bones, Gods&Monsters) seem to be in development hell, all that is left is more boring, by the numbers, Ubi openworlds, that they have done over and over again.
You dont like negative comments about games you like? Fine, ignore me. But dont come at me with that "empty negativity" bullshit, while being ok with "empty positivity" just for the sake of being positive about games you like.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
Reading all of the stuff that has happened with Ubisoft has definitely impacted my perception of the company. I hope that the industry as a whole is able to progress and make it so that sexual misconduct is not normalized, and punishment is handed out accordingly. The new game announcements will probably overshadow the accusations, but it is important for us to make sure that their message is not forgotten after the show.

With that being said, my general excitement levels for this event are just ok. I only deeply care about their more niche stuff (Please utilize more UbiArt Framework games please), but their general audience games don't look too bad either. We'll have to see how much Ubisoft is going to reveal regarding their upcoming projects because of CODVID-19.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
these two people were just fired it seems.

www.lapresse.ca

Ubisoft montre la sortie à son président canadien

Le président des studios canadiens d’Ubisoft, Yannis Mallat, quitte l’entreprise à la suite des multiples allégations qui l’ont frappée au cours des derniers jours.
Yeah, but they stepped down, so I wonder what deal they got; the timing makes it shines through like a pretty careful PR move.

Tomorrow we get the big commercial, the Ubisoft news cover the next Assasin's Creed or whatever, shareholders happy, and we forget about everything by next week.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Their opening by Yves better be a long statement about what the fuck they're going to do to counter all the harassment, abuse and disgusting corporate culture. The game reveals can wait at least five minutes before they sweep all this under.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
It feels weird to be excited for a Ubisoft game with all that has come to light lately but I really want to see more of Gods and Monsters

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope we will see some next gen gameplay from Ubi tomorrow... For example, at least Valhalla and how it is going to look, just a teaser of the graphic.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am kind of shocked they are doing this right now in the midst of the scandal 😬

I hope Yves can communicate that they understand the gravity of the situation.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they show some next gen exclusive stuff. The reveal of Watch Dogs was a formative memory that set great expectations heading into gen 4.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
It feels weird to be excited for a Ubisoft game with all that has come to light lately but I really want to see more of Gods and Monsters
I already felt weirdly guilty about being excited for a straight up Breath of the Wild clone (more BotW is always a good thing though).

...but the accusations and stories that have been revealed at Ubisoft really killed all of my excitement. I cannot emotionally seperate the two and I obviously cannot give them money if they are to continue forward without making substantial changes to their company culture.

I'm with you. I was pumped for it. Now I just feel sick.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I am kind of shocked they are doing this right now in the midst of the scandal 😬

I hope Yves can communicate that they understand the gravity of the situation.
I doubt it will be talked about at all. Most people watching do not know about it nor do they probably care. They're there to see games. I'm just being blunt about it, but that's the reality for most people tuning in. Not to mention that this is probably pre-recorded and was probably done before most anything was made public.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
on a scale of 1 to 10 how close will the art style of Gods and Monsters look like to a Blizzard game?