• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
What about the many people that weren't involved with the sexual assaults, should we not enjoy their work? It sounds like most of the issues came from management and not from boots on the ground programmers and developers. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
What about the many people that weren't involved with the sexual assaults, should we not enjoy their work? It sounds like most of the issues came from management and not from boots on the ground programmers and developers. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

This can be used to justify buying any product so long as less than 100% of the workforce was involved in whatever thing you disapprove of.

Ultimately everyone has to make their own choices regarding whether they want to buy Ubisoft games or not (just like everything else), so if that's a good enough excuse for someone, then by all means. I don't think that's going to be good enough for most of the people already concerned about this, though.

Sometimes, if you're lucky, you get to hear from the rank and file themselves about what you should do; in the past unions and employees at companies undergoing labour issues have given some direction to consumers about whether now is the time to boycott or not. But in this particular case it's not even clear to me how much of the rank and file is also complicit, given that this seems to be a very broad office culture problem.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Whatever makes you feel better about supporting a pos company. This is probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

The whole company culture is fucked:

Pretending it's just a management problem is minimizing just how fucked up everything is there.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Just buy the games used, dude lol. Like, defending Ubi for this isn't necessary.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for footage/re-reveal of
Gods & Monsters (with new title)
Skull & Bones (which hopefully turned into a full on Black Flag like adventure game)

Also as always in for new Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Rayman.

My hype for AC Valhalla evaporated completely after the leaked footage. I don't expect Far Cry 6 to be a pinnacle of innovation but that's ok, I love Far Cry 3, 4 and 5, so that's alright with me.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Honestly I'm not sure what they can do to get me interested in Skull & Bones, I wasn't huge on the Assassin's Creed boat stuff anyway, but knowing that's all it is. Ehhh.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Ubi need to basically fire their executive team and probably HR. But it won't happen.

So fuck them and fuck buying any more of their games.

www.resetera.com

[Liberation] Sexual harassment at Ubisoft: "We knew". (>100 cases from harassment to rape, half were known to HR, toxicity tolerated with results)

This seriously deserves another thread given it's newly reported and flying under the radar. Investigation piece by France newspaper, the Liberation - goes deeper into the deeply toxic culture at Ubisoft and how HR and leadership protects them, so long as they deliver the results...

www.resetera.com

Multiple Ubisoft leaders implicated in horrifying and systemic sexual misconduct, still not fired (details inside)

Edit: Here's a human translation of another article on the matter and parts of the one I originally linked. http://www.dulcamarra.net/2020/07/02/english-translation-of-a-press-article-by-liberation-about-allegations-against-ubisot-about-sexual-misconduct/...

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to tomorrow's show.

Excited to see more Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Some proper gameplay and hopefully the videos with commentary afterwards. Hopefully they release a PS5 version and not just BC.

I like the Far Cry games and with Giancarlo Esposito as the villain I am even more interested.

Watch Dogs 3 has me interested but I need to see more.

I hope to see Skull and Bones again as well.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
They need to put out a statement that they're going to do a purge of management / HR with any evidence being sent to law enforcement before I'd be comfortable buying their games again.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess we should let every damn company in the world slide with anything since there's some good people in them.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
Obviously we probably see Valhalla, Legion, G&M and R6: Quarantine, but I'm really hoping that they show something next-gen exclusive. Granted that bit Ubi in the ass last-gen (Watch Dogs and Division anyone?), but I still want something more substantial than the EA dev diary thing.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
To go ahead with tomorrow without making some acknowledgement of the situation would be really ugly. Boycotting until there's change.

Can't wait for the yearly no Rayman.
This is supposed to be Rayman's 25th anniversary, so I really hope we get something related to it.

Unfortunately my expectations are pretty low.

Which is why of course this will be the year that they give me what I want.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Love the stuff Ubisoft put out, Valhalla, Legion and FarCry are games I will for sure enjoy a ton, but fuck Ubisoft if they don't address the despicable abusive working culture that has been uncovered over the last few weeks.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Praying for a mentality change in Ubisoft.
this company is huge and has so much potential but this generation, specially in the last few years his games has been extremely soulless.
Maybe in this conference, they can show something really interesting and at least more exciting them their latest works.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Excited to see assassins creed . I was never a huge fan of that series until the last game which I loved , besides the bloat . Never 100 percented it but I enjoyed the time I spent with it

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Praying for a mentality change in Ubisoft.
this company is huge and has so much potential but this generation, specially in the last few years his games has been extremely soulless.
Maybe in this conference, they can show something really interesting and at least more exciting them their latest works.

Well, when your Chief Creative Officer is spending all his time telling the women in the office that they need to get fucked to expand their minds and assaulting them in elevators it probably doesn't help the products.

This event is likely going to do exactly what the heads of Ubisoft are hoping, and bury the news about the harassment, assaults, and rapes. So damn disgusting.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm not sure what they can do to get me interested in Skull & Bones, I wasn't huge on the Assassin's Creed boat stuff anyway, but knowing that's all it is. Ehhh.

The only thing that would make me interested is if it's not just boat stuff. It's been like three years since it was announced and IIRC they originally planned on releasing it in 2018, so they've had time to rework it.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
This is supposed to be Rayman's 25th anniversary, so I really hope we get something related to it.

Unfortunately my expectations are pretty low.

In a dream world we get something like a Rayman 2 remake on the level of the Crash trilogy which will be followed by a new Rayman game in like 2 years or something

May 26, 2020
If Mario +Rabbids 2 gets announced tomorrow, I will scream, especially if Daisy is revealed as one of the new characters, lol oh and that means we'll get a Rabbid Daisy too! BONUS!

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Im really looking forward to Seeing more of Gods and Monsters hopefully.

PkZhXLJECs5S8mHW2iUzNK.png

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Difficult to get excited about Ubisoft when there's widespread systemic sexual assault, rape, harassment, and transphobia at their studios. As much as I want a Mario Rabbids 2, I would rather see every single abuser lose their job, step down, and for all of this shit to get sorted out.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory whataboutism, concern trolling
This can be used to justify buying any product so long as less than 100% of the workforce was involved in whatever thing you disapprove of.

Ultimately everyone has to make their own choices regarding whether they want to buy Ubisoft games or not (just like everything else), so if that's a good enough excuse for someone, then by all means. I don't think that's going to be good enough for most of the people already concerned about this, though.

Sometimes, if you're lucky, you get to hear from the rank and file themselves about what you should do; in the past unions and employees at companies undergoing labour issues have given some direction to consumers about whether now is the time to boycott or not. But in this particular case it's not even clear to me how much of the rank and file is also complicit, given that this seems to be a very broad office culture problem.
Whatever makes you feel better about supporting a pos company. This is probably only the tip of the iceberg.
The whole company culture is fucked:

Pretending it's just a management problem is minimizing just how fucked up everything is there.

Just buy the games used, dude lol. Like, defending Ubi for this isn't necessary.
I guess we should let every damn company in the world slide with anything since there's some good people in them.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I haven't kept up too closely to these events and I wasn't certain how widespread the sexual assaults were in the company. It seems it was mostly at the management level, but from that tweet it appears to be at all levels and I'm sorry for my ignorance of this situation. I felt that the majority shouldn't be affected by a select few. Ubisoft seems like they're willing to investigate and fix the problem with their company from their released statements, but that remains to be seen.

Also, as an aside, I hope everyone that is boycotting Ubisoft is boycotting Steam due to their lack of support for BLM.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

Honestly, more should. Since when is it on the customer to protect the company? What the fuck is it with people? This is the only industry where people ask if it's okay to support a company because of the other employees working there.

Buy a game used, it's not that hard. Ubisoft is large, I'm sure they can figure it out, if this has a dent in their numbers (which I doubt) what they can do to work on it. No amount of change can be enough until people are fired.

Mar 31, 2018
How and when can I claim Watch Dogs 2? Which website and which time in the CEST time zone? The website of the event seemed confusing to me somehow.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't believe anyone can be excited for this company. As much as I hate crunch, and bigotry, and shitty anti-consumer practices and I feel they are morally wrong they are not technically illegal.

Ubisoft on the other hand according to these reports have multiple people that belong in jail. Even management and HR heads rolling is not enough, if you look at the reports there are multiple incidences of criminal assault including rape. Banning Ubisoft discussion isn't a slippery slope, and supporting them without both major changes, proof that things have changed, and maybe criminal charges, again sexual assault and rape are not crunch or bigotry they are criminal acts.

I am just glad I am not a huge fan because I don't feel there is an ethical way to support this company, because if you do you are supporting a company that shields and rewards literal (by the actual definition) criminals that have broken the law with sexual assault and rape.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, more should. Since when is it on the customer to protect the company? What the fuck is it with people? This is the only industry where people ask if it's okay to support a company because of the other employees working there.

Buy a game used, it's not that hard. Ubisoft is large, I'm sure they can figure it out, if this has a dent in their numbers (which I doubt) what they can do to work on it. No amount of change can be enough until people are fired.

TBH used is the route I'm going even if they clean house before those games are released. This should've been done already.