• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this is why less and less devs hang around here. Congrats on making this an even less welcoming place.
I mean when the dev is blaming the most common programs around as the reason why their games continue to run like shit, yeah people are gonna say stuff like that. Might as well ask to unistall the browser too, have just uplay.exe and latest_far_cry.exe as the only things on your computer.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
I mean when the dev is blaming the most common programs around as the reason why their games continue to run like shit, yeah people are gonna say stuff like that. Might as well ask to unistall the browser too, have just uplay.exe and latest_far_cry.exe as the only things on your computer.
Noone is blaming anything, this is like the most basic troubleshooting stuff imaginable. You're getting mad at nothing.

Oct 28, 2017
Those RGB or motherboard software is complete shit sometimes, I usually end up uninstalling them on every system I get.

Edit: I am surprised that they didn't list Xbox application, pretty sure it uses Dx 11 while rendering videos on the game tiles.

Last edited:

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Ubisoft is one of the companies I refuse to play any games of on my PC. Majority of your games are already shitty enough, I can't deal with your shitty ports on top of that. Just NO. Not missing out on anything in the end lmao.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
It's fine. Pretty much everybody's on a 64-bit architecture now. Just be careful not to delete System64.
Fun facts!
  • There is no System64.
  • There is a SysWOW64. This is not the 64bit system folder, but actually the 32bit system folder.
  • The 64bit system folder is System32.
  • It's like this for code compatibility reasons. Compiling an existing 32bit program in 64bit does not have to change where it looks for system library files. Meanwhile existing 32bit programs are automagically redirected to the SysWOW64 folder on the 64bit system.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

When did they blame those programs? Did you actually read the support article or just OP's shitpost?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the more embarrassing PC related threads I've seen on here in a while. Well, as long as we exclude any thread involving the EGS. I'm pretty sure something close to that list of programs is used by support to trouble shoot issues at every developer.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Just because they are common programs doesn't mean they don't interfere with games.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Haha, what bs. I couldn't play Assassin's Creed Odyssey because apparently the game need to be install on the main drive or something. My main drive is 60 gb SSD. How the fuck would i know this when i first purchase it

funo

Oct 27, 2017
this is such a non-issue that clearly shows some ppl are only searching for the tiniest straws to shit on Ubisoft (or any other company they don't like for whatever reasons)

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Um, Ubisoft never said what the thread title implies and the list is a relatively standard troubleshooting ideas that probably have helped somebody in the past. Great shitposting.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I see it's your first time using a computer, don't worry you'll get the hang of it eventually

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
It's kind of funny how matter-of-factly they've written this list without getting into the 'why' of things for users to explore and better understand.

With that said...

...so with the exception of the listed VoIP applications (which i'm gonna use period unless they outright break shit) and the streaming applications (which are generally known to impact performance if they're running on the same computer that the game is), that list just seems like a solid list of programs for PC novices to single out when troubleshooting performance/network/stability issues - even if the list itself is unfortunately bereft of explanation for why those programs might be causing such issues.

That's not to excuse Ubisoft games for their apparent bugginess or instability (though I don't actually play enough Ubisoft games on PC to have an opinion on them one way or another). Just saying that as someone who's been gaming on PC for a decade, and troubleshooting throughout, I'm familiar with scenarios in which many of those programs could (and have) caused issues with games.

lmao that's true

You're right on this. This is pretty much the kind of copy-pasted list you can expect to receive from 1st level tech support.

Just a bit bizarre that they'd put it on their social media like this.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
Taken from: https://twitter.com/UbisoftSupport/status/1452349416476749837
unknown.png

via Madjoki

So you see, it's not Ubi's fault their games run like crap. It's you trying to use exotic programs like Discord or Skype, see?

Is this some kind of surprise for anyone? Really?

Rams

Dec 13, 2017
It's just a list of software that have a history of causing issues with some game or games, under certain setups or configurations. It's completely standard practice in IT support of all sorts to keep lists of known problem causes.

It's there to give people something to try out, not to claim that performance issues are definitely caused by them, nor is it an attempt to transfer responsibility in the way the thread title leads to believe.

Posting misleading crap like this only makes things worse for everyone.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Caution:

If you have a PC or a console, and you buy a game on that PC or console, that PC or console might break your game.

Buyer's be aware.

lazycat

Aug 20, 2021
Just removed explorer.exe but still having problems. Maybe deleting the system32 folder will help?

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Yea, not sure what this thread is going after. The post and the information makes sense.

* 4 categories in there try to interfere with and inject into the renderer and are known to cause crashes that devs sometimes have to work around.
* virtualisation can obviously install not great drivers and interfere with networking as it can create very weird NAT setups if set up badly.
* VPN and similar apps completely change the underlying networking infrastructure on the machine.
* p2p apps can congest traffic on the PC, breaking matchmaking rules and similar gates that have been set to provide a better experience.
* voip apps can also inject into the renderer by doing picture in picture.

The info makes sense.

This place could really use less shit posting like this thread.
No disrespect but how does every company on the face of the planet mamage for their games to work fine while running something like discord but for ubisoft its an issue?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
No disrespect but how does every company on the face of the planet mamage for their games to work fine while running something like discord but for ubisoft its an issue?
plenty of games have issues with PiP overlays, not just ubisoft. Every game I've had performance issues with recommends disabling the PiP in their "help/FAQ" pages.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Discord completely fucked my ability to play League of Legends for example so no every company on the face of the planet cannot manage that.

It can happen on any game.

Oct 30, 2017
R6 siege got updated a few months ago on Xbox. I am playing on Series X and the game has been running like shit. Screen tearing everywhere. They aren't going to ever fix it back

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
plenty of games have issues with PiP overlays, not just ubisoft. Every game I've had performance issues with recommends disabling the PiP in their "help/FAQ" pages.
So they should have said overlay? Cause discord is not just an overlay, its not even its primary function and i've never heard of anyone using it outside of big groups where people dont know eachother like in wow raids. I doubt that many people are using the overlay while playing ubisoft games.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
... but the article say's it COULD be an issue, not that IS.

And all the software in the list could make the game have problems or run slower. When I had a toaster, Chrome in the background could make my games run slower.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I never used Discord for gaming, but after hearing it has an overlay (makes sense since streamers use discord for some bubble feature so you can see who's talking during gameplay), it makes total sense

Overlays in Windows causes issues with the amount being used. They seem to fight with each other,
I like to keep the amount of overlays I use to a minimum sure, albeit sometimes it's difficult when every publisher wants to include one of their own -and even go so far as to patch older games that were bought on Steam before they had their own launcher to retroactively now require it - like you know, Ubisoft titles.
and I wonder why that is (for my own sake as overlay is tied to some games ability to work with Steam Controller which uses it's own overlay unfortunately). If only there was a way to play non Steam games with Steam Input without Big Picture mode activated, even some native Steam games need BPM to get Steam Input working (Street Fighter V for example).
....huh? You don't need to use BPM to use SteamInput with non-steam games, you can just configure the controller through Steam's desktop UI.

Gotta say the amount of echoing "Yeah RTSS/Afterburner is known to cause problems" - is there like, a definitive list of these? Conflicting sometimes with other injectors like SpecialK is not surprising, but for games I've never had an issue. On the contrary it's certainly helped performance more often than not, due to so many games having poor frame pacing, or identifying the source of a performance issue (eg: with Journey it helped me to discover the game kept allowing my i5 to downclock unless it was forced into performance mode).

Outside of that, nothing really surprising about the list*- it's just a generic troubleshooting recommendation post that is pretty much par for the course whenever you're going to submit a bug report to any company with a software problem, they're going to want to exclude any potential conflicts. Ubisoft is of course a toxic employer with a track record of problematic PC ports, but this is just pretty much boilerplate advice as a first step - yeah it can perhaps come off as they're passing the buck, but any support personnel is going to want you to run their software in a clean environment as possible as a first step.

*edit: Ok wording that list with "These apps are likely to cause problems" is dumb.

Last edited:

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Programs aren't identical, otherwise there would only ever be one program in existence.
In this case, any program that injects itself into the render pipeline of another is subject to possible interference with eachother for just about any reason imaginable, and even some you can't imagine. We personally have encountered one recording program (can't remember the name offhand) that causes an immediate crash during a loading screen of Turok2 (and only Turok2) because something about its presence resets a core engine module into a null pointer which is something otherwise not possible to occur in the runtime.
Why? How? Great question I'm glad you asked.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
... but the article say's it COULD be an issue, not that IS.

I get that. But it shouldnt even say that in the first place. Yeah maybe it can but you should be able to solve this. I dont have indie devs telling me i should turn off discord because it could be an issue and multi billion dollar ubisoft does? I find that rather unacceptable.

Deleted member 93841

Banned
Mar 17, 2021

This tweet isn't saying that this software absolutely will conflict with the games, merely that if you're having issues, this list of software could give you an indication of what causes it.

And lots of games have problems with some of the software on the list. RivaTuner Statistic Server (RTSS) is often one of the biggest culprits for CTDs.

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
I get that. But it shouldnt even say that in the first place. Yeah maybe it can but you should be able to solve this. I dont have indie devs telling me i should turn off discord because it could be an issue and multi billion dollar ubisoft does? I find that rather unacceptable.

how dare developers give me hints on troubleshooting

jfc

like mentioned half a dozen times, anything that injects into a game can be a cause for weird problems, no matter how common the software is
this is just a good list for starting to eliminate a few of the million variables with pc games

Deleted member 93841

Banned
Mar 17, 2021

It's a bit strange that you're this upset about Ubisoft giving advice that you'd probably find on most tech forums too.

I hate to defend Ubisoft because I do think they don't put enough care and attention into their games, but in this case they're just being helpful. They can't possibly optimize their games to always be compatible with ever-changingthird-party software.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Even since I entered the gaming PC space long time ago, I quickly learned that everything could be a problem for everything for the most random reasons. That's also why I always keep a console each generation ^^.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
It's a bit strange that you're this upset about Ubisoft giving advice that you'd probably find on most tech forums too.

I hate to defend Ubisoft because I do think they don't put enough care and attention into their games, but in this case they're just being helpful. They can't possibly optimize their games to always be compatible with ever-changingthird-party software.
im not upset, i couldnt care less about ubisoft games, i just find it ridiculous.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019

I think part of the problem is that while the page as a whole is basic "Hey, maybe try disabling this for a bit and see" advice, that list in particular is entitled "Software likely to interfere with Ubisoft games", and it's stuff like VmWare, Skype, Discord, Afterburner - those are extremely common applications, and in the case of Skype even installed by default on Windows.

Yes, just because an app/overlay is used by many it doesn't mean it can't conflict, but the wording of "likely" is not helping here - it makes it sound like you're probably going to have problems with Ubisoft titles if you just so happen to use one or some of these apps which are likely used by millions. It's being used out of context from the page as a whole sure, but it's still poorly phrased.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
im not upset, i couldnt care less about ubisoft games, i just find it ridiculous.
I had just typed up a very long reply about your previous comparison between a multi billion dollar AAA studio and indie studios but I deleted it because I got so worked up about it...
I'm just curious to know why you're so upset about a studio actually trying to help their players improve their enjoyment of a game? Like... what's so "ridiculous" about it?