• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought any of their this year becaause of the sexual abuse so I am sorry but I won't give them credit.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I think a company valued at around $4 billion known for rampant sexual abuse and weirdly right-leaning but insistently "apolitical" theming will be just fine without more credit.

You do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to Ubisoft.

Pretty much this. You shouldn't be praising corporations on the best of days but to do so for fucking Ubisoft, after everything that has come out, is some real dog shit smeared on clown shoes. Be better than that.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I respect their ability to churn out reasonably well made games on an ongoing basis.

I respect that, out of all the current gen games, I can already get their games for less than £30 new.

However, there needs to be a swift culture change within that company. I respect their output, but they need to start respecting their staff especially around sexual abuse.

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Well obviously. I'm not saying that the average staffing was that high, just that the number of people who contributed is much higher. The fact of the matter remains that more people worked on TLOU2 and RDR2, and the games were made over a longer period of time. Hence why those games have nearly unparallelled production values.
How many worked on CP2077 though? The 1000 people at CDPR is only counting their internal staff, not all the contractors.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna give them credit for making the industry move towards bloated open world games for every major release

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Well obviously. I'm not saying that the average staffing was that high, just that the number of people who contributed is much higher. The fact of the matter remains that more people worked on TLOU2 and RDR2, and the games were made over a longer period of time. Hence why those games have nearly unparallelled production values.
The source that has 2k people on TLoU 2, puts Odyssey at over 4k, I believe they count the credits. Far more than 1k work on AC nowadays, usually the main studio alone is 1k strong.
www.mobygames.com

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (2018) - MobyGames

Story The battle of Thermopylai, 480 BC. King Leonidas I of Sparta and his army of 300 stop the advance of an invading Persian army that counts tens of thousands soldiers. In the end, he falls, but not before costing the Persians so dearly that their...

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Purely speaking about their output here:

Ubisoft is like high quality frozen food. Pretty decent tasting and there is enough slight variations to choose from to not ever get completely bored of it all.

But their games are also kinda bland and try too hard to please as big of a playerbase as possible, never venturing too far off the beaten path. Too safe to make something new and exciting if you will.

They got the production part of making AAA games down to a T though. Like, as far as third party developers go I don't think it gets much better than that.

Last edited:

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
On one side I do think they put out petty good quality single player games of a massive scale on a regular basis more than basically any other company.

Watch Dogs Legion performance wise was not too dissimilar from CP2077 at launch though. Delayed for months and then launched with awful screen tearing, texture pop in, constant crashes and filled with bugs on base last gen consoles. Combined with no manual saves made it literally broken. I couldn't progress through a mission without it crashing on One S. Then when the Series X version released it fixed the crashes but wouldn't save and didn't support quick resume making that version unplayable too. Took them a month to make the game playable, It was a worse launch than Unity by far and they basically got no shit for it.

Didn't Valhalla have quite a lot of issues at launch too?

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing AC games every 2-3 years instead of every year was the best decision they made. Still can't believe at one point AC games were w yearly event like Fifa

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Even if you ignore all the internal problems Ubisoft has, those "successful" annual launches are built off the backs of hundreds of overworked and underpaid SEA contract artists. None of these companies deserve "credit", especially Ubisoft.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Look at this lame ass gamer shit thread

A Corp that's valued in the billions with a sick documentation of worker and sexual abuse and OP is worried about "credit"

When will fucking "gamers" grow the fuck up

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Their storytelling is... yeh will leave it at that. Just look at the aimless direction AC has taken.

They are fast in production I will give them that, but their constant reusing of assets are obvious to see in every title they build.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I will give them credit for consistently releasing mediocrity.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Tbh playing Cyberpunk really made me appreciate Ubi a lot more. Their game design is predictable and design by committee but it at least manages to result in games that can sustain themselves for fairly lengthy playtimes. CP2077 feels like 6 hours of game stretched out to 50.

Of course that same criticism was what people made against AC1, the game that CP2077 reminds me most about. So it took a long time to get to where they are now

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
They're a well oiled machine for sure. But even as a big AC fan who has played and enjoyed all of the base games, I'll admit they're more like upscale gaming fast food.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
They're the definition of good but not great. Their quantity of material is certainly impressive though. I do enjoy their games, but I only buy them on deep discount. Like others have mentioned, they need to do something about their company culture though. Covering up for sexual harassment is fucking awful.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Their games are good, but rarely great. They also feel very samey within their franchises. Some of those games are also very janky and/or buggy. It's quantity over quality, but I still enjoy most their output.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I would agree but with one notable change. Ubisoft deserve shit all credit. However the hard working developers who put out these high quality games, despite working conditions, deserve huge amounts of credit. They're some of the best in the business.

Sep 11, 2020
They deserve nothing, as others have said. All things considered, I'm surprised that Ubisoft isn't getting the same type of treatment Cyberpunk has got here on ERA. I imagine it'd be harder, since they release multiple games a year.

But still.

I personally have no interest in buying their games. If I get anything from them, it'll be Immortals, and it'll be second hand after it's like 20€. I have to say, however, that I'm not sacrificing much. I've tried to get into AC mutliple times and, while the setting and enviroments are appealing, I've dreaded every single aspect of their gameplay in every title I've tried.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
They deserve nothing, as others have said. All things considered, I'm surprised that Ubisoft isn't getting the same type of treatment Cyberpunk has got here on ERA. I imagine it'd be harder, since they release multiple games a year.

But still.

I personally have no interest in buying their games. If I get anything from them, it'll be Immortals, and it'll be second hand after it's like 20€. I have to say, however, that I'm not sacrificing much. I've tried to get into AC mutliple times and, while the setting and enviroments are appealing, I've dreaded every single aspect of their gameplay in every title I've tried.
You've pretty much echoed my sentiments completely. I've grown tired of their "quantity over quality" template approach to game design over the years. Immortals looks like the first thing to interest me, but yeah, I'll get it used. Ubisoft isn't getting a nickel out of me while Yves is still in charge. He knew about everything and hid it all for years.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh playing Cyberpunk really made me appreciate Ubi a lot more. Their game design is predictable and design by committee but it at least manages to result in games that can sustain themselves for fairly lengthy playtimes. CP2077 feels like 6 hours of game stretched out to 50.

Of course that same criticism was what people made against AC1, the game that CP2077 reminds me most about. So it took a long time to get to where they are now
The only way CP could be worse is if it was more like a Ubisoft game

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft probably has the most efficient development pipeline in the industry, usually in software development adding more people does not necessarily mean getting work done faster, but Ubi have mastered the craft as far as efficiency is concerned. They can easily share tech across their studio, their different engines are all modular enough to use aspects of each other. That kind of setup requires foresight and hence they have such an effective pipeline.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Cyberpunk, but ACV crashed on me about 20 times, many field prompts wouldn't respond and I couldn't finish the alliance arc because an essential NPC just stopped in a field, and the NPCs wouldn't gather at the location for the final battle. I'm not a hater of Ubi soft games whatever but I was really disappointed in the state the game is in.

Jan 11, 2018
Ubisoft has a massive 3,000+ staff. They def crank out games at a regular clip.

CD-Proj were due all the shit that's been thrown their way recently, but IMO Ubisoft deserves way worse. Not because of the state their games launch in, but because they knowingly defended/harbored sexual abusers and rapists in the upper echelons of the company.

Closer to like 18k worldwide actually. They have more than 3k alone on the Montreal team.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
People who like Ubisoft's output strike me as the kind of gamers that like content for the sake of it. It never fails to amaze me how Ubi's single player games all have a shelf life of 10-15 hours max.

But siege is cool I guess.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Personifying a wealthy corporation led in part by sexual predators and their enablers in order to shield it from "haters" is abnormal and disgraceful to me. We can't have nice things because of shit mentalities like this.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
A company that treats their employees so poorly and churns out mediocre, largely interchangeable products on an annual basis is far from praiseworthy.

Oct 27, 2017
There are lots of reasons unrelated to the quality of their games to not give Ubisoft credit (sexual abuse scandal and being a boy's club immdiately comes to mind) but I agree that their games are unfairly maligned and written off as mediocre. I played Watch Dogs 2 after I had already played BOTW and was sure BOTW influenced Watch Dogs heavily, especially with how incentisfied you are to go around the environment and solve little puzzles to get research points. Turns out, Watch Dogs 2 actually predates BOTW. Their open worlds are often incredibly well-designed. Watch Dogs 2 and AC Origins have pretty good stories as well and the way those stories are integrated into the open world is a lot better than something like RDR2 (or Cyberpunk 2077 by all accounts). The common complaints about them playing it safe politically also ring false to me. They're no worse than most big blockbuster movies or AAA video games. Sure, that's a very low bar but by the way people talked about their games you'd think they were as bad as Call of Duty with regards to politics.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if "credit" is what I'd give them, but they generally do a very good job of churning out large, expansive games on a very strict schedule that generally run pretty well. And I like their games and their progression systems more than most.

To me the most interesting thing about Ubisoft is that they clearly don't reinvent the wheel with every new release, which allows them to them to focus on creating obscene amounts of content in their games. Developers like CDPR obviously don't have that luxury.

It reminds me of when Obsidian made Fallout: New Vegas. I'd love to see a developer like CDPR make an open world game using these tools that already exist so they can focus on the content creation rather than the tech side of things. Stuff like driving or riding horseback -- that stuff doesn't feel radically different from Ubi game to Ubi game, but it also doesn't really need to because that's not the point. (Usually)

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's like saying MacDonald's deserves credit for serving an abhorrent amount of beef. Ignoring the damage caused from producing that meat and the fact that you can do A LOT better than eating at MacDonald's.

Nov 11, 2020
Ubisoft used to be my favourite developer at one time (their E3 shows were always my favourite by far - I loved Aisha Tyler), but like a much-loved celebrity who is exposed as a horrible bastard, I now view them along with the likes of EA and Activision. Chaos Theory, Rainbow Six Siege and Blood Dragon will always be amongst my favourite games, but on top of the terrible shit that's being going on internally, their output has become more and more bland.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
They're good at cranking out games but even the games I've enjoyed I've never found any of their open world games to be anything special

It's gonna sound wanky but there's just no heart or soul to their games, nothing I've not seen before, nothing that challenges my feelings on a subject and if there is then it's definitely been done better elsewhere.

It's like sometimes you're just in the mood for a burger, you've got three options, the best is too expensive, the next best is a good drive away, the last option is close by. To satisfy the craving you just say fuck it and get the last option. That's Ubisoft games to me now, they'll do in a pinch.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Assassins creed games have been cookie cutter for a while. Certain elements might be very polished from one to another but they can't escape this cookie cutter feeling that rings hollow. at least for me.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
The fact that the OP was banned for this topic isn't alarming to anyone else ? This place is no longer a safe space to share opinions freely it seems.

I haven't played Cyberpunk, but ACV crashed on me about 20 times, many field prompts wouldn't respond and I couldn't finish the alliance arc because an essential NPC just stopped in a field, and the NPCs wouldn't gather at the location for the final battle. I'm not a hater of Ubi soft games whatever but I was really disappointed in the state the game is in.

What console are you playing on ? I got a walkthrough breaker early in the game that got patched quick but no other problem on Ps5 so far. Watch Dogs legion was the one that was incredibely bugged out for me tho, nearly unplayable on PS4.

edit : more people should play Immortals fenyx rising !

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
They crank out a lot of games using the same old tired template. But I'm definitely not giving any props to a company that hides sexual abuse towards their employees in any way shape or form. Watch Dogs Legion was the worst game I've played this year because of all the glitches, bugs, and repetitive gameplay. Let's also not forget their "gem" of a release for Ghost Recon last year that was also horribly broken at release.

They only receive props for Fenyx Rising, and I still only rented that because I'm not giving my $60 to anything Ubisoft related.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Ubisoft the company? No way. The person or team that coordinates the production pipeline? Yes certainly, they deserve credit for maintaining such an efficient machine. Unless they're creeps. Then no.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Friend. This forum is the wrong place to say anything positive about Ubisoft

You're right though

I am really curious why OP was banned for "Antagonism".
All he did was saying that Ubisoft is able to push out such huge games regularly in a playable state.
Comparisons with R* and CDPR arent something I agree on since R* worlds really feel like they were worth the extra time and CDPR basically having no track recorrd for such an oprn world.

But this seems ridiculous ban to me just for appreciating Ubisofts open worlds.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
4r32jm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.