• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nizerifin

Jun 9, 2018
This is a post you'd make if Ubisoft wasn't profiting handsomely off of the games they make. They are appreciated and consumers show it with their wallets.

Shouldn't we instead revile Ubisoft for churning out a steady stream of sequels? Isn't that a bit of a lazy way to make your money? I mean, what are we on, Assassin's Creed 12?

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
i'm with you, op. thinking the same thing today. whatever your personal preferences, you gotta hand it to ubi for being able to release big-budget, gorgeous, mechanically sound open-world games. realized today that i had as much or more fun with watch dogs legion as i am with cyberpunk 2077, & that's due to a large extent to this very fact - the game's solidly built, & works as advertized...

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I am kind of impressed that they managed to release Watchdogs: Legion

What? this game was broken af on release, countless crashes on the Pro. it is also clearly unfinished. (even after 6 months delay!)

both games were released in a mediocre technical state to profit from the next gen console releases, why should anyone applaud them for that?

Actually I don't think Ubisoft has received nearly as much shit as is due for them. CDPR is the hot topic but Ubisoft ain't any better.

this.

and i would add Sony to the list too, PS5 software is also beta tier with glitches, bugs and stuff, many newer games crash(even first party games like the Spider-Man games), rest mode issues, external drive problems, internal drive slot disabled, disc drive spins up every hour for no reason, coil whine and so on.

not to mention the fuck ups leading up to the release and somehow people are still fine with all this which is ridiculous to me.

Certainly, they deserve credit in managing a massive global workforce that hits targets and delivers polished games.

"Polished" is the last word i would use for Ubisoft games, the jank is always strongly visible.

Last edited:

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I give their studios huge credit for the support they give to some games.

The amount of new content they keep puttingfor R6 Siege and For Honor is crazy.

In FH, we're in year 4 Season 4 and there's a new hero, tons of new armor and weapons, new map changes, new timed events, and testing grounds for rebalancing changes for 4 more characters.

That's awesome.

But yeah terrible company that everyone should hate and boycott etc etc.

Dec 4, 2018
They're making the same game for the most part. It's like giving credit to McDonalds for being able to make a consistent burger with buns, beef, and cheese. The configurations for their games may be different, but the gameplay systems are all the same, hence why people say ubisoft style open world game .

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Watch Dogs Legion was literally broken for Xbox for a month after launch .Fuck Ubisoft.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I dont see how their open world games can be considered story driven. Id imagine they have figured out some level of automation considering you basically do the same thing over and over just in different parts of the map.

JonaB1986

Sep 15, 2020
Yet Ubisoft can't seem to get out a patch to fix main quest breaking bugs in AC Valhalla for more than a month.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft is the "8/10 score" publisher of the gaming world. They don't make bad games often, but man they don't make many games that make you want to go, "I need this. I need this day one."

And you know, they can go fuck themselves with all the sexual allegations/stories. No fucking way Yves didn't know about any of this.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
The last 4 Ass Creed titles have all be excellent. Not so much WD series, though WD2 was best of the 3 by quite a margin.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Absolutely not.

Ubisoft is the symbol of uninspired games without a strong creative vision, produced by teams distributed throughout the world, whose only goal is to churn out requisite amounts of "content" because, as we all know, more equals better. It stands for everything that's wrong with AAA.

I like this post, well put.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
I have it on good authority that the reason why people don't find bugs on Ubisoft games is because no one ever get past the 30 minute mark, so it's easy to make only the tutorial polished.

But seriously, Assassins Creed is boring.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Because they always make the same game ba dum ts.

They got what a thousand people working on these games? It's impressive but they are just a very very big company. And they still can't make an AC character not awkwardly jump down ledges or jump to their death instead of onto scaffolding.

Jun 26, 2018
Considering Ubisoft just follows the exact same ducking template and literally educates people to make said template, big whoop? Also Ubisoft games have had notoriously broken games too, remember Unity? Christ

Remember watchdogs 1?

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
I'm so tired of games from Ubisoft. They all share the same formula, open world, bunch of quests, very small story.
Been playing Valhalla now for 60 hours. Have about 60 hours more left and I'm only playing it because the history interests me. But the game's story is so weak and uninteresting.

Why can't Ubisoft make interesting new games? Instead of copy and paste.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Valhalla is incredible, and hopefully more people will play it after they refund Cyberpunk

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I'm so tired of games from Ubisoft. They all share the same formula, open world, bunch of quests, very small story.
Been playing Valhalla now for 60 hours. Have about 60 hours more left and I'm only playing it because the history interests me. But the game's story is so weak and uninteresting.

They did. It's called Immortals Fenyx Rising (which no one is buying). Not that it does anything NEW new, but it definitely have a different feel than their other games since it actually feels like the game has a lot of heart.

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
They have the COD/Madden formulas, they use the same engine and mechanics for so many of their games to keep that pipeline. How many times have we see. Haystacks all over every ac game

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Assembly line game development works wonders. As annoying as it is, I'm surprised it doesn't happen as often from others.

Like, what if Capcom used used Devil May Cry 5 as the foundation to spin out Onimusha and Final Fight and then used the developments made in those two to make DMC6.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If only From Software could be held to the same standard in this forum...

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It is true that Cyberpunk is a big reminder of how hard it is to create big open world games and release them in multiple platforms at once and it is true that Ubisoft is generally very efficient, but it feels like really bad taste to have a thread praising them after all the shit that was revealed this year, not to mention the mobile game in which they compared BLM to a terrorist organization.

I like their games (as I like ND and CDPR and Rockstar's game), but these companies can do without all these praised directed to them - instead of elements of the games themselves. Putting companies on a pedestal help to create environments in which different kinds of abuse can happen and people will still defend them for it (see: CDPR, ND).

(And even then Ubi is not even that good. At least not on PC. WD Legions runs worse than Cyberpunk and AC Unity was basically unplayable when it released)

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
They have been making multi platform games for decades, they have a large global staff, and are well funded. I would expect nothing less.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
If only From Software could be held to the same standard in this forum...
From Software's games are infinitely more focused experiences with a lot of thought put into every single encounter and design decision. And Sekiro is a very different experience from Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.

And this is coming from someone who has AC: Odyssey in their Top 15 list of the generation.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, they make the best open world games (along with Rockstar). AC Valhalla is fantastic and the AC games have been the best they've ever been since they released Origins. Immortals also has tons of praise. Watch Dogs was just OK though.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From Software's games are infinitely more focused experiences with a lot of thought put into every single encounter and design decision. And Sekiro is a very different experience from Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.

And this is coming from someone who has AC: Odyssey in their Top 15 list of the generation.
Doesn't change the fact that they've been using the same template for more than 10 years now.

There's arguably less differences between Sekiro and Dark Souls then there is between Assassin's Creed Unity and Odyssey.

Oct 25, 2017
They have a basic template that they keep on iterating since basically Far Cry 3/Assassin's Creed 2.
That's not a bad thing but also not super impressive to me.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
They don't really anymore.

They were much better a few years ago. Wildlands, FC Primal, WD 1 and 2, Black Flag and Unity days.

Now compare that to: Valhalla, Breakpoint, Legion, FC5, Immortals.

They are not all terrible games but certainly they are all fairly stale and don't seem to be pushing any boundaries/they are just derivative and we all know why the games now have been so creatively bankrupt. I think they will turn it around but ultimately Ubisoft was a more impressive company a few years ago. It's made worse by all the revelations of the past year.

In short, I believe they are nowhere near as good as they used to be or achieving anywhere close to what they are capable of and I look forward to respectable people replacing the rot that set in and seeing what they come up with.

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Assassin's Creed has had like 1,000 staff members and each game is made over four years.

Both TLOU2 and RDR2 had like 2,000 staff members and were developed over six years.

Rockstar and Naughty Dog have both also been reported to utilize heavy crunch, while we've heard nothing of the sort for Ubisoft.

Animations could definitely use more work, but resources put into each game are a contributing factor as well.

Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if TLOU2 and/or RDR2 had more man hours put into each one than have been put into Star Citizen.

TLOU2 didnt have 2000 staff on it, that includes contractors who may have only touched the game for a couple of days. So 2000 staff * 6 years is not accurate math at all. Ubisoft has tons of staff, sure, but they are not on the game all the time, and at once. There is not 1000 people working on AC for four years. Maybe cut that number in half for a cloer estimate of average staffing.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
EJve-r4WsA0YbEA.jpg

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
The only reason there are no more complaints about the Legion state, specially on PC, it's because it's a bad game and people just don't care enough, also because you can "rent" it instead of buying it.

On my end, it runs worse than Cyberpunk, looks worse than Cyberpunk, and it crashed to desktop like 5 times in 3 hours of gameplay.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
No fucking shit when you have 40 studios and over 19,000 employees.

No shit you can release several games every year across multiple platform.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Yes, preemptively labeling anyone who disagrees with you a hater is a great way to open up discussion.
Yea this. This part of the OPs post clearly shows the OP is not interested in having a discussion/debate and just wants an echo chamber.

And frankly Ubisoft deserves a lot more heat for all the disgusting crap thats been going on in their offices.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
TLOU2 didnt have 2000 staff on it, that includes contractors who may have only touched the game for a couple of days. So 2000 staff * 6 years is not accurate math at all. Ubisoft has tons of staff, sure, but they are not on the game all the time, and at once. There is not 1000 people working on AC for four years. Maybe cut that number in half for a cloer estimate of average staffing.
Well obviously. I'm not saying that the average staffing was that high, just that the number of people who contributed is much higher. The fact of the matter remains that more people worked on TLOU2 and RDR2, and the games were made over a longer period of time. Hence why those games have nearly unparallelled production values.

Oct 27, 2017
Ubi has by far the most impressive production line in the industry. I don't like their games much but I completely respect that they are very good at just pumping out both quality and quantity at a stable pace with reasonably low amounts of overtime.

The sexual harassment and political stuff going on at Ubi is awful but I really think it's quite juvenile to not be able to separate them out and discuss the logistics of game development.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I think a company valued at around $4 billion known for rampant sexual abuse and weirdly right-leaning but insistently "apolitical" theming will be just fine without more credit.
I know it has been said a few times but excellent first answer here. Their games being derivative or not is completely irrelevant compared to these other facts. Ubisoft deserves no credit at all.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Ubisoft is the "8/10 score" publisher of the gaming world. They don't make bad games often, but man they don't make many games that make you want to go, "I need this. I need this day one."

And you know, they can go fuck themselves with all the sexual allegations/stories. No fucking way Yves didn't know about any of this.
My exact answer.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Ubisoft have also a big stepping in both Europe and USA and Canada, while Rockstar and ND are also boosted via Playstation brand worldwide.

CDPR presence in North America does not look as solid, relying mostly on computer game sales that have a stronger presence in Europe, eg compare tw3 console vs PC sales.
Culturally too, like with Kingdom Come Deliberance. This made them skip the "Rennaisance" you see in console games regarding representation and worldwide appeal, though with strict control over the content.

That makes damage control much harder. Were they from USA, I doubt Sony would delist their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.