• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 27, 2018
www.zdnet.com

Ubisoft, Crytek data posted on ransomware gang's site

Details about hackers obtained the files remain unclear. Ransomware gang also threatened to leak the source code of Watch Dogs: Legion, an upcoming Ubisoft game.

A ransomware gang going by the of Egregor has leaked data it claims to have obtained from the internal networks of two of today's largest gaming companies — Ubisoft and Crytek.

Data allegedly taken from each company has been published on the ransomware gang's dark web portal on Tuesday. Details about how the Egregor gang obtained the data remain unclear. On Tuesday, leaks for both Crytek and Ubisoft were posted on the Egregor portal at the same time, with threats from the ransomware crew to leak more files in the coming days. For the Ubisoft leak, the Egregor group shared files to suggest they were in possession of source code from one of the company's Watch Dogs games. On its web portal, the group touted they were in possession of the source code for the Watch Dogs: Legion game, scheduled to be released later this month. It was, however, impossible to verify that these files came from the new game, rather than an existing release.
But while hackers leaked only 20 MB from Ubisoft, they leaked 300 MB from Crytek, and this data contained a lot more information.

The Crytek files included documents that appeared to have been stolen from the company's game development division. These documents contained resources and information about the development process of games like Arena of Fate and Warface, but also Crytek's old Gface social gaming network.
However, in an email interview with ZDNet, the Egregor gang provided more details about the two incidents. The ransomware operators said they breached the Ubisoft network, but only stole data, and did not encrypt any of the company's files.

On the other hand, "Crytek has been encrypted fully," the Egregor crew told ZDNet.

The Egregor group said that neither company engaged in discussions, despite their intrusions, and no ransom has been officially requested yet.
"In case Ubisoft will not contact us we will begin posting the source code of upcoming Watch Dogs and their engine," the group threatened, promising to publish more data in a press release tomorrow.

Yikes. I don't think this is a marketing stunt.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What data are we talking about here? Is this an issue for Ubisoft or for its employees?

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Ransomware attacks happen in big companies, I've been through one recently and it's rough. It's not like cracking companies, they just steal all the info, encrypt everyone's PCs that are connected to the network (and companies, specially in covid times, use VPNs) and demand ransom payments to get it all back. I don't think this will go anywhere but that's very much not cool

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
are we sure this isnt marketing for watch dogs legion?
da6cgrv-8a5163be-c552-4c13-af14-c3cce6029e63.gif

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I feel so bad for their IT staff right now. I've been though a couple of these and they SUCK.

Wesley

Jan 10, 2018
Nah that's for corporations and rich fucks.
Lol so fucking cringe.

This stuff sucks for obvious reasons. Also maybe not as obvious is that every time something like this happens it means that employees end up having more restrictive measures placed on their work computers. It's common to not be able to access services like Dropbox and use USB devices, but people just assume it's to stop any leaking, when it's also to stop people accidentally allowing dangerous software onto the system.