• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
im starting to feel like this is an error on steam's part, like maybe steam's thinks its dlc for ac3, cause unless there is something special about liberation, the ubisoft support page doesnt state anything different that would cause it to stop working while other games with the same message for the pc version will still work

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
im starting to feel like this is an error on steam's part, like maybe steam's thinks its dlc for ac3, cause unless there is something special about liberation, the ubisoft support page doesnt state anything different that would cause it to stop working while other games with the same message for the pc version will still work
Could be, since the official Ubisoft page doesn't mention removing access to the game. The Anno 2070 page has the same disclaimer on Steam. But the AC2 page doesn't despite having the same wording on the Ubi page.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not that I have been, because of other issues, but this ensures I will never buy another Ubisoft game. Never.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I'm inclined to think this is an error but I suppose we'll see. Will be extremely shit if they go through with it but given that it's breaking on a Sunday I can at least give them a few days for a proper answer. Is the game in any way dependant on AC3 as a DLC item on Steam? Like how Rogue is more or less DLC for AC3 on Switch?

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
Any idea if this is for PC only or will it affect the console releases as well? Either way... dismal future ahead with examples like this

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They really want people to pirate their shit.

I better get to installing all of the AC games then given they gave all of them away over the past three years.

Hence why I'm so gung-ho on physicals. I bought both Pure and Split Second on PC during a sale Amazon had eons ago. Just a crazy ordeal that I have had this year that solidified my stance on this.

I got the urge to play Split Second on PC. I bought the games many moons ago on Amazon. I have the 360 versions as well.

20220710-205422.jpg

but I read that there was a 60fps patch for PC released a few years ago that I wanted to try for Split Second.

The problem was that this game needs to contact securom servers to authenticate. They no longer exist so unless you have the game installed before the servers went offline, you are SOL forever.

I reached out to Disney, sending these as proof of purchase, asking if there was a remedy for both this and Pure on PC.

Screenshot-2022-07-10-204448.png

Screenshot-2022-07-10-204622.png

Was told in a nice, corporate way to kick rocks. See below

1645462884474454-0.png

There is a no-CD exe of both games out there but the problem for split second specifically is that it is for version 1.0 and while I can download Spilt Second from Amazon still, it is version 1.x. I said fuck it, went to hit up some torrent sites, found the game, downloaded it, finally got it working. Next day, wake up with a DMCA notice in my email from Comcast.

1645462881844750-1.png

I got knocked for pirating a game I fucking own. However, if that way didn't exist, it'd be a game lost to time.

Note the dates, The House of Mouse moves fast. This should never happen though. Locking down a game that is only playable through pirated means shows that Disney should have planned better.
Next time, just go to reddit instead of hitting up your common torrent sites.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I should probably get around to completing this on xbox just incase. Its one of the only AC games I havent 100% completed(completed it on vita, and in the 3 remaster). Also cant finish the windows phone AC games cus they were delisted years ago

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Steam Subscriber Agreement said:
Steam is an online service offered by Valve.

You become a subscriber of Steam ("Subscriber") by completing the registration of a Steam user account. This Agreement takes effect as soon as you indicate your acceptance of these terms.

Your order through Steam is an offer to Valve to agree on the delivery of the ordered Subscriptions, Content and Services and/or Hardware (the "Product(s)") in exchange for the listed price.

When you place an order on Steam, we will send you a message confirming receipt of your order and containing the details of your order (the "Order Confirmation"). The Order Confirmation is acknowledgement that we have received your order and does not confirm acceptance of your offer to enter into an agreement.

In the case of Content and Services, we accept your offer, and conclude the agreement with you, by confirming the transaction and making the Content and Services available to you or, in the case of pre-orders, only by confirming the transaction to you and deducting the applicable price from your payment method.

Steam and your Subscription(s) require the download and installation of Content and Services onto your computer. Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a non-exclusive license and right, to use the Content and Services for your personal, non-commercial use (except where commercial use is expressly allowed herein or in the applicable Subscription Terms). This license ends upon termination of (a) this Agreement or (b) a Subscription that includes the license. The Content and Services are licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Content and Services. To make use of the Content and Services, you must have a Steam Account and you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet.

It's not, technically when you "buy" a game on steam or most storefronts (besides GOG) you're actually kinda renting the license instead. You don't own anything, although publishers pretty much never admit this or ever enact their ability to limit or remove your access to their games as it would start a shitstorm that I'm sure they don't want to deal with.

It's why there was such a pushback against digital games a while back.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a shit take but I don't see the big deal. I'd wager nearly everyone who owns it got it on sale for a few bucks. The daily player count today was in the single digits. If someone really wanted to play it again, I'm sure a quick google search will show them the way.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
from what i understand of ubisoft games on steam, you need to connect them to your ubisoft account, ,unless someone can find any suggesting otherwise, you will still be able to play the game through the ubsoft connect launcher
Why would this be the case? It's against Steam policy to revoke access from Steam while offering access through another service. I can't think of this ever being the case before.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a shit take but I don't see the big deal. I'd wager nearly everyone who owns it got it on sale for a few bucks. The daily player count today was in the single digits. If someone really wanted to play it again, I'm sure a quick google search will show them the way.
People shouldn't have to crack or pirate games they paid money for in order to be able to play them again.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
from what i understand of ubisoft games on steam, you need to connect them to your ubisoft account, ,unless someone can find any suggesting otherwise, you will still be able to play the game through the ubsoft connect launcher
Nope, delisted from there too and will likely be revoked. Unless you buy the 3 Remaster or the Odyssey Ultimate Edition, you're not playing the game.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't matter how much someone paid for it.

It's beyond unethical to disallow someone from
being able to use something they paid for.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
It fascinates me how many people don't understand digital purchases.
Don't understand what exactly? These are arbitrary standards set by companies, not legal precedences. It's not a question of it being legal or not, it's just how companies deems your digital purchases.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
If it is legal, it surely shouldn't be.

Companies have never been under any obligation to host files in perpetuity or maintain servers in perpetuity. Digital purchases have always explicitly stated in the terms that you are granted a license and do not own software. Digital services have always stated in their terms that access can be removed at any time. This has all been true since the beginning of digital purchases that it's not a question of if, but a question of when servers and access will be taken down. It's also why people who have pushed against this all digital future that people were blindly jumping in to while being pretty clear now that they had no idea what rights they were giving up and what the drawbacks were to doing so.

Don't understand what exactly? These are arbitrary standards set by companies, not legal precedences. It's not a question of it being legal or not, it's just how companies deems your digital purchases.

See above. This was always the drawback to digital purchases. You don't own anything and your access to whatever digital purchase you make can be removed at any time. Not realizing that this could and would happen at some point is not understanding what is involved with digital purchases.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Example 100 of why the all-digital future is bullshit.

Preventing people from playing a game they already own and paid for should be illegal.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Companies have never been under any obligation to host files in perpetuity or maintain servers in perpetuity. Digital purchases have always explicitly stated in the terms that you are granted a license and do not own software. Digital services have always stated in their terms that access can be removed at any time. This has all been true since the beginning of digital purchases that it's not a question of if, but a question of when servers and access will be taken down. It's also why people who have pushed against this all digital future that people were blindly jumping in to while being pretty clear now that they had no idea what rights they were giving up and what the drawbacks were to doing so.

See above. This was always the drawback to digital purchases. You don't own anything and your access to whatever digital purchase you make can be removed at any time. Not realizing that this could and would happen at some point is not understanding what is involved with digital purchases.
But why frame this post as a "haha, you silly people complaining, you should have known!"

You are outlining exactly why people SHOULD be mad about this

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
But why frame this info as a "haha, you silly people complaining, you should have known!"

You are outlining exactly why people SHOULD be mad about this

Because it fascinates me that people are still surprised this could happen despite people for years saying this was the risk. Yet people who advocated for physical were shamed as being luddites or old men yelling at the clouds with not getting with the times. Anyone caught off guard or surprised this could happen simply put did not understand what it meant to buy something digitally. I'm outlining that all of this has been known for ages and was written in print in the terms of service with people telling what the perils of digital purchases were. Sorry that people are getting screwed but they took the gamble and lost or didn't understand what they were doing to begin with. This won't be the last time it happens either.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

But once again, this has nothing to do with legality. They can claim whatever they want in their user agreement, it doesn't mean it's bound by law or that people have to embrace it.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
But once again, this has nothing to do with legality. They can claim whatever they want in their user agreement, it doesn't mean it's bound by law or that people have to embrace it.

Because I think it's a long shot to make it legally required that a company maintains their servers and services in perpetuity so people can have access to their digital purchases. I think doing so will just open a can of worms that could change how things are accessed in a way that people will like even less. This also isn't the first time digital purchases have been taken away and nothing has been brought up to challenge the legal aspect of it so far.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Because it fascinates me that people are still surprised this could happen despite people for years saying this was the risk. Yet people who advocated for physical were shamed as being luddites or old men yelling at the clouds with not getting with the times. Anyone caught off guard or surprised this could happen simply put did not understand what it meant to buy something digitally. I'm outlining that all of this has been known for ages and was written in print in the terms of service with people telling what the perils of digital purchases were. Sorry that people are getting screwed but they took the gamble and lost or didn't understand what they were doing to begin with. This won't be the last time it happens either.
It's just a real weird thing, directing your energy at the people getting upset at the lame corporate policies, and not… the corporate policies themselves. all because of some grievance you've been holding onto all these years 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Because I think it's a long shot to make it legally required that a company maintains their servers and services in perpetuity so people can have access to their digital purchases. I think doing so will just open a can of worms that could change how things are accessed in a way that people will like even less.
I don't think anyone is demanding that they maintain servers in perpetuity. But I don't think it's unreasonable to modify the game so that it does not require server access, or not implement such a requirement in the first place in a purely offline experience.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Nobody really wants to play this version of the game. AC Liberation Remastered is better and is still available, just tucked into ACIII Remastered.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a real weird thing, directing your energy at the people getting upset at the lame corporate policies, and not… the corporate policies themselves. all because of some grievance you've been holding onto all these years 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

Because people allowed this to happen despite years of people warning about it. People made their bed and now they have to lie in it. They could have picked their consumer rights over the convenience factor which eliminated them in the process but didn't. I think people facing the harsh reality of their choices, which people warned against, should feel a bit of the burn from those choices that they made. It sucks, but it's not like people didn't warn about this for a long time now. Getting a single developer to extend or change how it's being handle for a single game now is just going to kick the can further down the road and give people a false sense of security to the reality of when a whole service shuts down.

I don't think anyone is demanding this. But I don't think it's unreasonable to modify the game to not require server access, or not implement such a requirement in the first place in a purely offline experience.

This isn't trivial to begin with, especially trying to bring up old projects that could be over a decade old. Or maybe the source code is lost. Or maybe the developer is no longer in business. There's a number of reasons why expecting games to be modified to fix issues like these isn't feasible.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Because people allowed this to happen despite years of people warning about it. People made their bed and now they have to lie in it. They could have picked their consumer rights over the convenience factor which eliminated them in the process but didn't. I think people facing the harsh reality of their choices, which people warned against, should feel a bit of the burn from those choices that they made. It sucks, but it's not like people didn't warn about this for a long time now. Getting a single developer to extend or change how it's being handle for a single game now is just going to kick the can further down the road and give people a false sense of security to the reality of when a whole service shuts down.

This isn't trivial to begin with, especially trying to bring up old projects that could be over a decade old. Or maybe the source code is lost. Or maybe the developer is no longer in business. There's a number of reasons why expecting games to be modified to fix issues like these isn't feasible.
Well, sure, but I think they can still be criticized for implementing the requirement in the first place. That's their responsibility.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Well, sure, but I think they can still be criticized for implementing the requirement in the first place. That's their responsibility.

Sure, but going back to my original post that you replied to, nobody should have been surprised that this could happen when people have been screaming that it could and would for years. If you're surprised today, then you didn't understand what it meant when you bought something digitally and it's fascinating to me that after all this time that there are still quite a few people who didn't understand it despite all the warnings.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
This is also the case with Rayman Jungle Run on Android.

play.google.com

Rayman Jungle Run - Apps on Google Play

The legendary platforming hero is making the jump to your favorite mobile device

Ubisoft quietly shut down the download server for the game at the end of 2019. There's no way to redownload and play it for anyone who purchased it.

The game (alongside Rayman Fiesta Run) was delisted from the Google Play Store in ... June 2021.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
This is also the case with Rayman Jungle Run on Android.

play.google.com

Rayman Jungle Run - Apps on Google Play

The legendary platforming hero is making the jump to your favorite mobile device

Ubisoft quietly shut down the download server for the game at the end of 2019. There's no way to redownload and play it for anyone who purchased it.

The game (alongside Rayman Fiesta Run) was delisted from the Google Play Store in ... June 2021.
Isn't iOS as a whole a graveyard of old games and apps that can't be played unless you use an old version of the OS?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Blaming consumers for bad digital purchase policies is an interesting take I guess, if nothing else

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Sure, but going back to my original post that you replied to, nobody should have been surprised that this could happen when people have been screaming that it could and would for years. If you're surprised today, then you didn't understand what it meant when you bought something digitally and it's fascinating to me that after all this time that there are still quite a few people who didn't understand it despite all the warnings.
This doesn't change anything at this point, digital was always going to replace physical as a standard, there's absolutely nothing you can do to change that outcome. This has little to do with that though, since access can be revoked from physical media as well, and this whole ordeal can 100% be avoided with digital copies and physical copies. So with or without warnings, people have a right to be disappointed and criticize this precedent.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
I don't understand how companies are allowed to get away with stuff like this, feels like especially in EU there's gotta be some laws preventing this

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I don't understand how companies are allowed to get away with stuff like this, feels like especially in EU there's gotta be some laws preventing this

I'd be surprised if there was any settled case law, and given the numbers of people actually playing these old games (Assassin's Creed Liberation HD has a 24 hour peak of 19 concurrent players) the actual harm done is very small. More people are generically irate on the Steam forums and Reddit than have played these in the past few years, guarantee it.

Don't get me wrong, there should be some legal protection that in the case of a planned shutdown of authorisation servers, that at the very least workarounds are permissible, if not forcing companies to put out patches that remove authorisation checks. Ubisoft's certainly big enough to manage that, and while I get the business reasons for doing otherwise, that's still their choice to be shitty.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
But they have not announced that they want to come to my house and steal my physical Vita copy right?

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Is the game in any way dependant on AC3 as a DLC item on Steam? Like how Rogue is more or less DLC for AC3 on Switch?
No this is Liberation HD, this was a standalone release of the PS Vita game on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, completely unrelated to Assassin's Creed III.

Liberation Remastered is the one that is basically a bonus purchase included with Assassin's Creed III Remastered.

Besides, the original Assassin's Creed III is already unpurchasable on PC, so it certainly is not a case of it being DLC for that game.