• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe wait for the console to launch to let people verify to what extent issues are issues. Right now it's pointless.

thing is I can live with some issues that over time may get fixed. Games not compatible are a different story. I sold my pro already as I was told by Sony that only 10 games will not boot, but Now Ubisoft say more?

Digital Foundry have a console. Why do I have to wait 2 weeks when they could test it and it be clear for people before launch?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
thing is I can live with some issues that over time may get fixed. Games not compatible are a different story. I sold my pro already as I was told by Sony that only 10 games will not boot, but Now Ubisoft say more?

Digital Foundry have a console. Why do I have to wait 2 weeks when they could test it and it be clear for people before launch?

Their games will boot according to the API on the PlayStation store website. The distinction is between 'bootable' and 'compatible'. We don't know what that is and whether it's game breaking or not.

As far as your criticism around the embargos, yeah they're pretty silly. No disagreement here.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Their games will boot according to the API on the PlayStation store website. The distinction is between 'bootable' and 'compatible'. We don't know what that is and whether it's game breaking or not.

As far as your criticism around the embargos, yeah they're pretty silly. No disagreement here.

many did Ubisoft say they are Not Compatible than? This is where the confusion is. We knew there may be errors and that's fine, it's the fact that Ubisoft state they are not compatible

Also alarming, is the fact that Doom Eternal has the same warning asgames that are "bootable".

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
many did Ubisoft say they are Not Compatible than? This is where the confusion is. We knew there may be errors and that's fine, it's the fact that Ubisoft state they are not compatible

Also alarming, is the fact that Doom Eternal has the same warning asgames that are "bootable".

I have no idea. I just know there is an explicit NOT_COMPATIBLE flag and the games Ubisoft said aren't compatible are actually listed as BOOTABLE not NOT_COMPATIBLE.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
This is my guess

Compatible: The game runs fine in vanilla PS4 mode and PS4 Pro boost mode
Non- Compatible: The game doesn't work at all on the PS5. These are the 10 PS4 games Sony initially listed doesn't work on the PS5.
Bootable: The game can boot on the PS5, and may play fine for the most part, but there may also be non-game breaking "issues" that pop-up

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
From the other thread: this was also mined from the store:

The PS Store also seems to offer some insight on the differences.

A bootable games store page says:
"When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behaviour and some features available on PS4 may be absent. To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details."

A compatible games store page says:
To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. Although this game is playable on PS5, some features available on PS4 may be absent. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details.

And obviously an incompatible games page says only available for PS4.

So my takeaway from that is that either Ubisoft are wrong in what they are saying - a "bootable" game is clearly playable on PS5 - or they are so unhappy with the errors which are occurring when they are testing the game that they are going to ask for it to be added to the incompatible list (as they don't want to patch it to fix it).

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Doom Eternal works now. Google got the old info. You can see this on the PSN store due to the different messages they use.

DOOM Eternal Standard Edition

Hell’s armies have invaded Earth. Become the Slayer in an epic single-player campaign to conquer demons across dimensions and stop the final destruction of humanity. The only thing they fear... is you. Experience the ultimate combination of speed and power in DOOM Eternal - the next leap in...

To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. Although this game is playable on PS5, some features available on PS4 may be absent. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details.

As per the post above mine, this means it's fully compatible.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Doom Eternal works now. Google got the old info. You can see this on the PSN store due to the different messages they use.

DOOM Eternal Standard Edition

Hell’s armies have invaded Earth. Become the Slayer in an epic single-player campaign to conquer demons across dimensions and stop the final destruction of humanity. The only thing they fear... is you. Experience the ultimate combination of speed and power in DOOM Eternal - the next leap in...

As per the post above mine, this means it's fully compatible.

ah ok so they updated it as a few days ago it was showing the same message that games that show as "bootable" would say

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So basically they tested to see if they wpuld boot on a ps5 but didnt care to see if it actually played well?

Jun 15, 2020
The fact that some people are trying to downplay this or accuse others of "console wars" is gross. We're spending $400 or $500, transparency and truth are reasonable expectations.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

I get it, be patient. Now You wouldnt be able to buy console anyway. Unless You have the preoder and want to give up - I am sure You will earn selling console day 1, or do the good deed and transfer your preorder to someone :)

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
It's a very short list, but Syndicate's inclusion there is weird and puts in question Sony's original list.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Funny, Syndicate, Origins and Chronicles are the only AC games I don't own on PS4 lol

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
And yet there are still plenty of people experiencing BC bugs with random games. Though I will say I am impressed by the figure and tweet if true. I guess Microsoft must have had a very large team and investment dedicated specifically to BC testing. Because 500,000 hours is 62,500 work days of testing lol. I can't even wrap my head around how many people it must have taken to do that if true.

Keep in mind they literally pulled the team off 360 BC in order to do this, what like a year and a half ago? I remember thinking wow that's a long time before launch, but it makes sense.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Be reasonable and state your expectations. What answer, in what timeframe You would like to get? I guess finding out for yourself will be quicker than expecting Sony to describe each of 15k games in few sentences.

It would be nice if they lifted some embargoes so we can get coverage from people who have the system right now.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If anyone's interested in trying to find what games are marked as bootable by psn, I can write bad python scripts all day.
Anomaly 2
Daylight
Dead Nation™ -黙示録-
Dead Nation™: Apocalypse Edition
Doki-Doki Universe™
DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Entwined™
Geometry Wars³: Dimensions
Hardware™: Rivals
How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition
KickBeat Special Edition
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
LittleBigPlanet™3
LittleBigPlanet™3 (EU)
LittleBigPlanet™3 (GB)
LittleBigPlanet™3 (LATAM)
LittleBigPlanet™3 (US)
MLB® 14 The Show™
MLB® 15 The Show™
Nobunaga's Ambition Souzou
Pinball Arcade
PixelJunk™ Shooter Ultimate
Project CARS
Pure Pool™
RIGS™ Mechanized Combat League
RISK
Senran Kagura ESTIVAL VERSUS
Super Stardust™Ultra
The Tomorrow Children™
Velocity®2X
リトルビッグプラネット™3
信長の野望・創造
小小大星球3
真・三國無双7 Empires
真・三國無双7 Empires 共闘版
真・三國無双7 with 猛将伝
真・三國無雙7 with 猛將傳
鬼斬(おにぎり)

Here's the script:
Python:
import requests
import urllib
if __name__ == '__main__':
    #go here: https://library.playstation.com/recently-purchased?smcid=web-store%3Aen-us%3Aweb-toolbar-my-playstation%3Agame%20library
    #in dev tools should see a get to something like:
    #https://web.np.playstation.com/api/graphql/v1/op?operationName=backwardCompatibility...
    #copy the cookies here:
    cookies = 'cookies go here'
    cookies = cookies.split(';')
    cookies = [c.split('=') for c in cookies]
    cookies  ={c[0]:c[1] for c in cookies}
    session = requests.Session()
    #Copy that https://web.np.playstation.com/api/graphql/v1/op?operationName=backwardCompatibility... link from above
    #and replace the title ids list after 'variables=' with {}, leave the other params (extensions, version, persistedQuery, etc..)
    url = 'https://web.np.playstation.com/api/graphql/v1/op?operationName=backwardCompatibility&variables={}&extensions=%7B%22persistedQuery%22%3A%7B%22version%22%3A1%2C%22sha256Hash%22%3A%22hashgoeshere%22%7D%7D'
    bootables = []
    #I'm doing this in 250 title chunks at a time, only did first 1000 to test.
    for i in range(1, 1000, 250):
        ids = ['CUSA{}'.format(str(j).rjust(5, '0')) for j in range(i, i+250)]
        titleIds = '{{"titleIds":"{}"}}'.format(','.join(ids))
        urlWithIds = url.format(urllib.parse.quote(titleIds))
        r = session.get(urlWithIds, cookies=cookies)
        j = r.json()
        data = j['data']['backwardsCompatibilityRetrieve']['titleBackwardsCompatibilityList']
        for title in data:
            if title['category'] == 'BOOTABLE':
                bootables.append(title['titleId'])
    #https://ps4database.io can give the title from the title id
    #note that requests are limited to 500/hr
    names = []
    for b in bootables:
        try:
            r = session.get('https://ps4database.io/dataApi?id={}_00&env=NP&method=meta'.format(b))
            j = r.json()
            name = j['names'][0]['name']
            names.append(name)
        except Exception:
            print('could not get data for {}'.format(b))
            continue
    #There are different title ids per region remove duplicates
    names = set(names)
    names = sorted(names, key=lambda x: x.lower())
    #write to file
    with open('bootableTitles.txt', 'w', encoding='utf-16') as f:
        f.write('\n'.join(names))
Nice work!

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Syndicate was the only AC game I played this gen, lol. It's frustrating that it isn't backwards compatible with PS5 -- I have fond memories of my time with it. I guess I'll have to pick up the Xbox version instead.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not quite Sony released a list of games that don't work but a publisher has released a different list of games that don't work. That's the reason for all of this confusion.
Bingo.

Is the list conclusive? NO.

But should 3rd party publishers be coordinating with Sony to have this info distributed properly? YES.

Is it reasonable to think this list of incompatible games is going to grow now? YES.

If you don't play these listed games, good for you, but repeating "99%" or "96%" is a useless number if I've been playing AC:Syndicate a lot lately, and was hoping to put away the PS4 without worry when it arrived. Now I'm worried I'm going to discover even more broken shit as time goes on.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's not hard to say that Sony should have been more clear that the 10 games listed won't be the only ones that wouldn't work with PS5. Possible errors maybe, but they should have listed all the games that don't even boot, and then all the games that won't work even if they do boot, which is what it sounds like the Ubisoft games listed are.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's x86 API is not very mature and I'm not overly surprised by this. Judging by the amount of effort it seems to take to port a game from PS4 to PS5, it's clear there are some weird low level shenanigans going on.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I think it's not hard to say that Sony should have been more clear that the 10 games listed won't be the only ones that wouldn't work with PS5. Possible errors maybe, but they should have listed all the games that don't even boot, and then all the games that won't work even if they do boot, which is what it sounds like the Ubisoft games listed are.
A couple of games on the list provided by Sony were able to boot, but the game didn't work past the menu.

Claydol

Jan 10, 2018
Rome
I wonder if the list will be updated before launch with fewer boot able titles only. Xbox one games are not all accessible from the store because they are allowing journalists to download them day after day. So let's wait the launch of the console with firmware updates that hopefully will bring more compatibility.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony probably did the testing, notified Ubisoft these games have issues, and Ubisoft just put out that thing saying they don't work.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I reached out to Ubisoft like seven hours ago and again an hour before publishing because the news post was inconsistent with PlayStation's previous messaging to begin with. Kinda annoyed it took till after publishing to get a response.