• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's worth pointing out that even Sony's official language suggested users test out BC games before considering any DLC purchases, because they might not work acceptably. That obviously leaves room for different people's taste/patience for problems, but it's clear enough that some games are expected to have snags. This may be an extension of that, with issues disruptive enough that they don't pass a publisher's own QA standards.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Why wouldn't it be?

This is like the whole ordeal of believing the PS5 would only play a hand-picked 100 games via BC. Like that's not how emulation works!

AMD made an emulator and Sony are testing it, Sony games use different engines and will have specific issues with code on the emulator like all other games.

Developers will attempt to fix code when there's an issue. The only news here is Ubisoft have drawn a line in the sand to state they won't update these games. We already know other devs are working on patches from the current non-playable list.
Has it even been stated that PS5 is using an emulator? I thought PS4 and PS5's use the same API's and tooling? Xbox One uses a virtual machine for BC for 360 and OG Xbox, I'd assume for simplicity they'd use a similar approach this gen. Which may explain the differences between support.

Newer API's may have some incompatibilities with older games, if you're running old OS's in a VM you're more likely to have better compatibility while sacrificing performance somewhat but with the performance gap between this gen, it's irrelevant.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Why not specify the errors/bugs you might experience? That's too broad to reassure people they can play those games on PS5 and enjoy them like on PS4. Are we sure we can play and finish those games? Or that aren't any bugs that can make unplayable certain parts?

"exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles " can mean from "this door texture does not load" to "glitchy graphics that makes the game a mess to complete"
You would assume that anything game breaker would make the game enter that list, the testing team gave their feedback and it passed the certification for ''BC games that might have errors''

And this is why this situation is a mess, Ubisoft has a different understatement of ''compatible'' and they didn't explain why its not enough for them

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
People absolutely speculated that on this very forum.
No people speculated there could be issues due to no system wide set up like the Xbox has , and as it turns out there absolutely is with some games not putting in the extra work for cross save to work across different sku's as opposed to "smart delivery" approach of Xbox does most of the work for devs

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What Ubisoft are hinting at could of been the case days, weeks or months ago. As you said, this whole BC list has clearly been improved upon over time to the point of Sony coming out a few weeks ago and saying these titles work and these ones don't.

yeah definitely, but it's no coincidence there are still ubisoft games on their list what are still listed at being "bootable" rather than compatible.

Shame I don't know how to get a list of all PS4 titleids, otherwise we could check everything very easily.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
That doesn't even make sense. Think about what you just typed for a moment. When did Sony say that games don't work that actually did, in fact, work? Sony has every reason to try to make their BC look as fully capable as possible... But if they didn't actually do the work to check before making a statement, then the statement should be taken with a grain of salt.
This doesn't make sense tbh. Why lie about something that's eventually going to come out anyways? Like, there's no explanation whatsoever besides Sony hiding you can play all the other mainline AssCreeds except syndicate? You think about for second.

oldyella

Oct 27, 2017
With regard
I posted this in the Playstation Studios OT, but I guess it makes more sense here now.

I was curious to see how many other games this might apply to, and if you do a Google site search on the Playstation store for that specific wording around 'unexpected behaviour or errors', you currently get around 100 games:

Some notable names in there, but without knowing what 'unexpected behaviour' or 'errors' we're talking about, it's hard to know how deeply individual games might be affected. Viewing it optimistically, some of these smell like possibly online service issues (e.g. the older MLB/NBA games). A number of VR games are in there too.
I own a few of the games on that list, and I can give an example of how one of them works - Kickbeat Special Edition. Currently play it on PS4 Pro, and it has a few errors, mostly issues where a part of one the songs may skip (just play no music) for like a second or 2. It happens in the same place on the same song 100% of the time. Not a game-breaking issue (to me, at least).
With this in mind, if you have concerns about any other games on the list, it's best to wait until there are some independent tests done by groups like Digital Foundry, or if, like me, someone has a game on that list that may have an already existing issue.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Why are you assuming they didnt actually do the work to check all the games before making a statement, when they provided a list of games not working?

But as i said, they say that all xbox games are compatible, and we know that's not true?
Im just saying...why dont we wait till further clarifications?
That's one of the questions Sony should clarify. Did they just test the games if they were bootable or if they were completely playable start to finish with no bugs. Ubisoft's list suggest that Sony just tested if games were bootable and Ubisoft personally found out the games were not playable.

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this isn't true. I'm getting boned hard here if this is the end result LOLOLOL. This is what I mean. My Assassin's Creed purchase history since 2014.

1604078488384374-0.png

The ONLY Time I step out, hahaha. I hope it gets fixed.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
People absolutely speculated that on this very forum.

That is not true at all lol. Unless some people completely misunderstood the issue going on. A lot of people are confused about BC vs upgrades. But I've been in these threads a lot and not seen it.

I really hope this isn't true. I'm getting boned hard here if this is the end result LOLOLOL. This is what I mean. My Assassin's Creed purchase history since 2014.

1604078488384374-0.png

The ONLY Time I step out, hahaha. I hope it gets fixed.

Oh god that's honestly hilarious.

I can't imagine doing that though. I always like to keep a series on one system if I can.

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the Playstation Studios OT, but I guess it makes more sense here now.

I was curious to see how many other games this might apply to, and if you do a Google site search on the Playstation store for that specific wording around 'unexpected behaviour or errors', you currently get around 100 games:

Some notable names in there, but without knowing what 'unexpected behaviour' or 'errors' we're talking about, it's hard to know how deeply individual games might be affected. Viewing it optimistically, some of these smell like possibly online service issues (e.g. the older MLB/NBA games). A number of VR games are in there too.
Lol if Doom Eternal has issues at launch. That would be something alright

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have absolutely no idea what's going to be honest. Ubisoft's wording suggests the games aren't compatible with the console, which implies they won't boot.

So either Sony has royally fucked up and not tested a load of games properly or Ubisoft has decided to go with the vaguest wording possible and needs to clarify what the fuck they're talking about.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the longer this goes on it is utterly transparent that someone working at ubisoft is an xbox fan and is intentionally trying to smear sony with false information about their own games. i hope all of the missing sales are worth it ubisoft.

Bravekunai

Oct 29, 2017
yeah definitely, but it's no coincidence there are still ubisoft games on their list what are still listed at being "bootable" rather than compatible.

Shame I don't know how to get a list of all PS4 titleids, otherwise we could check everything very easily.

I don't know if this helps:

ps4database.io

PS4 PKG Database

Lookup PS4 PKG Patches by Title ID. We monitor over 5,000 games daily for new patches!

They seems to call Sony's API.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
This doesn't make sense tbh. Why lie about something that's eventually going to come out anyways? Like, there's no explanation whatsoever besides Sony hiding you can play all the other mainline AssCreeds except syndicate? You think about for second.
I did, so either Ubisoft is lying about their games not working, or Sony didn't do the work and just made a claim without data to back it up. Between the two, only one has something to gain for for saying something that's false. Did you stop to think about it at all?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know if this helps:

ps4database.io

PS4 PKG Database

Lookup PS4 PKG Patches by Title ID. We monitor over 5,000 games daily for new patches!

They seems to call Sony's API.

Yeah, I used that to get specific game titles, but I wouldn't know how to get it to list out every ID for a game there is..

I assume they are serialised, but I imagine many of them are for non-game things or are regional duplications

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And that conflicts with Syndicate's store page that indicates otherwise.
Syndicate's store page says the game may exhibit errors. The error may be the game never actually passing the start menu.

The message is purposely very open so it can cover Sony (and the publishers) in case of any error, minor or not, and let the user do the testing for them. At least Ubi is apparently testing their games and telling us now what works.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they have different definitions that's fine, but if you can see the game through to completion then Sony's list is terrible.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no idea what's going to be honest. Ubisoft's wording suggests the games aren't compatible with the console, which implies they won't boot.

So either Sony has royally fucked up and not tested a load of games properly or Ubisoft has decided to go with the vaguest wording possible and needs to clarify what the fuck they're talking about.

It doesn't imply they won't boot, it implies that they found errors that are beyond their acceptable Quality Control, so they are saying that those games are not compatible. They may have run more tests than Sony. What it is strange is that Sony backcompatibility team should have been working closely with big publishers.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
My guess is all games start as "bootable" in Sony's DB after Sony does basic testing, and then when test results come in they either get switched to compatible or not compatible.

So the store that currently says "bootable" might change it's status if this is new info from Ubisoft.

Either way there will be games that work fine and then have random bugs that aren't found until after release, and some that may never be found. Just the nature of BC that isn't fully hardware compatible.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Why are people being so ridiculous?

It doesn't appear anyone has lied or anybody is trying to deceive. It looks like Ubisoft's post is just just correct of this second: as some of the games on that list don't work properly and some now do.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I like that this week Ubisoft released a new game that bricked Xbox's, yet people are super confident that there will be zero issues with any of the BC Ubisoft games on Xbox.

Maybe people should just hold their horses and wait until both of these consoles launch to declare who did what best and whatnot.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't it be that Ubisodts definition of BC is different from Sonys? Sony never stated all the games will work 100%, perhaps from Ubis standpoint Syndicate isn't running well enough to call it "Backwards compatible".

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I did, so either Ubisoft is lying about their games not working, or Sony didn't do the work and just made a claim without data to back it up. Between the two, only one has something to gain for for saying something that's false. Did you stop to think about it at all?
Yes. Nobody can gain anything from lying. Let's stop using the words lie/lying. It's possible that they in fact do work on the PS5, but not to Ubisoft's liking, thus getting them pulled or blocked from ubi. I don't think any of this is malicious at all seeing as other AssCreed games work.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Syndicate's store page says the game may exhibit errors. The error may be the game never actually passing the start menu.

The message is purposely very open so it can cover Sony (and the publishers) in case of any error, minor or not, and let the user do the testing for them. At least Ubi is apparently testing their games and telling us now what works.

The "may exhibit errors" seems to correlate with what Sony's API defines as "bootable" rather than compatible

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't it be that Ubisodts definition of BC is different from Sonys? Sony never stated all the games will work 100%, perhaps from Ubis standpoint Syndicate isn't running well enough to call it "Backwards compatible".
Unless one of them is just incorrect or were miscommunicated, I think this is most likely.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's one of the questions Sony should clarify. Did they just test the games if they were bootable or if they were completely playable start to finish with no bugs. Ubisoft's list suggest that Sony just tested if games were bootable and Ubisoft personally found out the games were not playable.

I very much doubt they tested all games all the way through for all bugs. That's not remotely feasible.

My guess is they test them for a set period of gameplay, not the entire game. To test over 4000 games to completion (including side quests etc) is an unfathomable task.

Say those 4000 games have an average play time including side content of 25 hours, that's over 100,000 hours of game testing time, or around 12,500 days of 8 hour work day testing.

Even if you had a team of 10 people testing said games for 8 hours a day, it would take them well over 3 and a half years to test them all, since that's not taking into account data recording, notes, annotation, side work, breaks, procrastination etc.

BC will never be completely bug or problem free. You only have to Google Xbox One backwards compatibility problems to bring up a long list of people complaining about BC bugs on that system too. That's ignoring that even non BC games can have bugs. Hell, Syndicate is buggy even on the PS4 lol.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the longer this goes on it is utterly transparent that someone working at ubisoft is an xbox fan and is intentionally trying to smear sony with false information about their own games. i hope all of the missing sales are worth it ubisoft.
Man, if we had like two more sentences with some swear words and a minor meltdown, this could be a copy pasta.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Yes. Nobody can gain anything from lying. Let's stop using the words lie/lying. It's possible that they in fact do work on the PS5, but not to Ubisoft's liking, thus getting them pulled or blocked from ubi. I don't think any of this is malicious at all seeing as other AssCreed games work.
Friend, you are the one who started saying someone was lying. I said they made a statement without doing the work to prove it. If Ubisoft is making an honest claim, then it's obvious Sony didn't test before saying they worked. How is that difficult to understand? Booting a game and running it successfully are two different things. If you are having to jump through technicality hoops to defend Sony, maybe you should stop, take a breath, and realize the a mega corporation doesn't need you as a white knight savior...

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't it be that Ubisofts definition of BC is different from Sonys? Sony never stated all the games will work 100%, perhaps from Ubis standpoint Syndicate isn't running well enough to call it "Backwards compatible".

If it's worse than what Ubisoft can sometimes consider compatible on current gen then we're in trouble!