• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the Playstation Studios OT, but I guess it makes more sense here now.

I was curious to see how many other games this might apply to, and if you do a Google site search on the Playstation store for that specific wording around 'unexpected behaviour or errors', you currently get around 100 games:

Some notable names in there, but without knowing what 'unexpected behaviour' or 'errors' we're talking about, it's hard to know how deeply individual games might be affected. Viewing it optimistically, some of these smell like possibly online service issues (e.g. the older MLB/NBA games). A number of VR games are in there too.

....welp, Sony has some explaining to do.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
The kinect games might even boot if you run them off an HDD, you probably just can't get past the menu screen with a controller.

Microsoft solution for original Xbox and Xbox 360 games on Xbox One was a wrapped application with the tailored emulator and game, downloaded from the Store (you don't run the content from the disc). I don't know their solution for Xbox One emulation on Series S/X but if similar they just don't provide the game at all from the store so it wouldn't even run.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when PS4 saves weren't going to work on PS5?
The FUD will never die.

Oct 28, 2017
Well thank god I haven't been able to preorder PS5. Back on the fence we go. Backwards compatability matters, and there should never have been any question of it going in to next gen.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
You think Sony have a reason to lie about games not working?
Ubisoft's list is clearly wrong, so why don't we wait untill further clarifications?
That doesn't even make sense. Think about what you just typed for a moment. When did Sony say that games don't work that actually did, in fact, work? Sony has every reason to try to make their BC look as fully capable as possible... But if they didn't actually do the work to check before making a statement, then the statement should be taken with a grain of salt.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I've spot-checked a couple of titles in that list
Infinite warfare is listed as "Bootable" by Sony in the API that has been mentioned

But then Tearaway is showing as "compatible" as is Doom Eternal
So the info on those PS4 pages isn't just right.

Interesting. So yeah, beware... this info (per Google's crawl indexs/caching), could be subject to change. And there may be a lag before store and API are consistent.

I think I'd say we can only hope that the numbers ultimately don't settle too far from what the store seems to indicate at the moment, and that generally whatever issues there are in affected games are hopefully minor. More detail on what testing found would help a lot here.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of a lot of games for one publisher. Seems like an odd assortment but not a good sign.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
A bunch of games are listed as 'running but with errors', we'll have to wait and see on a case-by-case basis but the fact the bc is not as realiable and straight-forward as xbox bc is personally a big deal. Yikes

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
TBH, some of this really is on Sony, considering they have separate entries for Bootable and Compatible. Meaning they know full and well which titles exhibit (more serious) problems. They should just publish the entire list that are not 'Compatible' instead of the not 'Bootable' list.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Clearly this whole situation is an elaborate marketing scheme for "#Immortals Fenyx Rising™2020"

/s if that wasn't clear.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think Sony have a reason to lie about games not working?
Ubisoft's list is clearly wrong, so why don't we wait untill further clarifications?
surely it's in ubisoft's interest to say all their games are compatible since they're selling them and making money off of them? there's no reason they'd lie about them not being compatible. and as a major publisher/developer, it's extremely unlikely that they don't know what they're talking about here.

Krov87

Oct 31, 2017
That doesn't even make sense. Think about what you just typed for a moment. When did Sony say that games don't work that actually did, in fact, work? Sony has every reason to try to make their BC look as fully capable as possible... But if they didn't actually do the work to check before making a statement, then the statement should be taken with a grain of salt.
Why are you assuming they didnt actually do the work to check all the games before making a statement, when they provided a list of games not working?

surely it's in ubisoft's interest to say all their games are compatible since they're selling them and making money off of them? there's no reason they'd lie about them not being compatible. and as a major publisher/developer, it's extremely unlikely that they don't know what they're talking about here.
But as i said, they say that all xbox games are compatible, and we know that's not true?
Im just saying...why dont we wait till further clarifications?

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
lol That's a hell of a reach. The FUD is going off the rails now. We need to get clarification action before making silly assumptions like these.

What needs to be clarified about that list? Seems pretty clear to me, a couple of popular VR games and an Assassin's Creed mainline game don't work on PS5. It's disappointing since it's pretty likely that other publishers will all have similar lists of incompatible games.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
About the 100s games list that gofreak posted.

They tested those games, they found error(s), they are telling you that you might find this same error(s) while playing.
This is on the support page since day one:
https://support.playstation.com/s/article/backward-compatibility?language=en_US
Although many PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, some functionalities that were available on the PS4 console may not be available on PS5 consoles. In addition, some PS4 games may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles.

Honestly I don't know what is so hard to understand about this, maybe they could have shared this list but it is not like the information is being hidden.

Feb 4, 2019
"When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior and some features available on PS4 may be absent." - This is a placeholder to all PS4 games.

Since beginning I am not taking that 99% games except ~10 games running 100% smoothly on PS5, but I would expect that the first promised 100 or 1000 top played PS4 games would be playable from beginning to the end. I would take 99% games run on BC but not with situation exactly same as you were playing on PS4, but there will be a most likely specific case where the game would run into an error. Its a BC after all.

I dont think Sony testing all their games from start until finished, maybe just early chapters, or just to boot it.

Sony is not lying but not fully honest, I think. But due to this confusion, I think everyone will take it as Sony is lying, tops.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft solution for original Xbox and Xbox 360 games on Xbox One was a wrapped application with the tailored emulator and game, downloaded from the Store (you don't run the content from the disc). I don't know their solution for Xbox One emulation on Series S/X but if similar they just don't provide the game at all from the store so it wouldn't even run.
From my understanding, they aren't using emulation for Xbox One due to it being a virtual machine. So Xbox One games run natively on Series X/S and aren't wrapped with a tailored emulator. All MS had to do was get the virtual machine to run on a different hardware, which is the whole point of why MS created Xbox One as a virtual machine in the first place. It also benefitted MS that they created a software emulator to BC Xbox 360/OG Xbox games to the virtual machine of Xbox One, thus making the process of overall compatibility on Series X/S a bit easier.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They tested those games, they found error(s), they are telling you that you might find this same error(s) while playing.

Honestly I don't know what is so hard to understand about this, maybe they could have shared this list but it is not like the information is being hidden.

Why not specify the errors/bugs you might experience? That's too broad to reassure people they can play those games on PS5 and enjoy them like on PS4. Are we sure we can play and finish those games? Or that aren't any bugs that can make unplayable certain parts?

"exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles " can mean from "this door texture does not load" to "glitchy graphics that makes the game a mess to complete"

Oct 25, 2017
This adds fuel to the fire that when Sony is unusually quiet about certain features they probably have something to hide. Disappointing.
Doesn't this fly in the face of 1) their full detailing of BC back in March, and 2) following up on that a few weeks ago? That's not unusually quiet. That's you making something up to use as a standard where it doesn't really exist.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017

This is a valid point but when you make a point of saying only 10 games won't work that's what people see. They don't care to look further or check for more info, people see basically the headline parts and then stop paying attention.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Interesting. So yeah, beware... this info (per Google's crawl indexs/caching), could be subject to change. And there may be a lag before store and API are consistent.

I think I'd say we can only hope that the numbers ultimately don't settle too far from what the store seems to indicate at the moment, and that generally whatever issues there are in affected games are hopefully minor. More detail on what testing found would help a lot here.

Yeah, some of those cached results don't exist on the PlayStation store now

DOOM Eternal Standard Edition

Hell’s armies have invaded Earth. Become the Slayer in an epic single-player campaign to conquer demons across dimensions and stop the final destruction of humanity. The only thing they fear... is you. Experience the ultimate combination of speed and power in DOOM Eternal - the next leap in...

Doesn't show the same message as google did, so things have certainly changed/improved over time.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017

The amount of information Sony has released recently has created a "concern void". This is just the Universe's way of maintaining equilibrium.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But as i said, they say that all xbox games are compatible, and we know that's not true?
Im just saying...why dont we wait till further clarifications?
that gets into semantics a bit, no? sure, they didn't mention their kinect games being incompatible, but MS themselves have come out and said point black that games that require kinect won't work. while ubi should have mentioned those, no one expected them to work anyway. it's a different situation compared to their statement about some of their games not being BC on ps5, since all games outside of the list sony gave were presumed to be working.

piratethingy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get what you are trying to imply. Are you saying Ubisoft is lying?

Of course not. I'm saying no one knows at this point what's going on, and those using this a proof there's issues have clear agendas. Halo 5 wasn't working on XSX a week ago but that wasn't big news because it was going to get fixed, and it got fixed. Could be the same thing here. Could be an old online store for worthless mtx isn't working. Could be the game crashes every five minutes. We don't know, but some people sure want to pretend they do.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

This is different though. Ubisoft is straight up saying these won't work.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
This Thread

giphy.gif

Obviously Sony won't have thoroughly tested every game, I mentioned earlier but I wonder what qualifies as "bootable". I'm guessing they have to be playable from start to finish (or least seem to be) but beyond that, is there a standard it needs to hit?

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is a 1st party title like The Show on that list.

Why wouldn't it be?

This is like the whole ordeal of believing the PS5 would only play a hand-picked 100 games via BC. Like that's not how emulation works!

AMD made an emulator and Sony are testing it, Sony games use different engines and will have specific issues with code on the emulator like all other games.

Developers will attempt to fix code when there's an issue. The only news here is Ubisoft have drawn a line in the sand to state they won't update these games. We already know other devs are working on patches from the current non-playable list.

piratethingy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Antagonising other members, trolling, prior infractions for similar
The way you people throw FUD around when it comes to any bad news is never getting old is it? The uncertainty aspect here is clearly ruled out by Ubisoft and they cannot get clearer than that

Definitely never getting old as long as "you people" keep leaning into it. The idea that the only possible explanation is that Ubisoft has uncovered Sony's great lie is hilarious. Sony couldn't get any clearer than they did, why do you choose to believe Ubisoft? (jk I know why)

OP
OP
CrazyNomad

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I sent a message to John from DF if he can check AC syndicate to show how it runs when the embargo ends.

Dictator could test too, but i Know Alex test mostly PC games.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the Playstation Studios OT, but I guess it makes more sense here now.

I was curious to see how many other games this might apply to, and if you do a Google site search on the Playstation store for that specific wording around 'unexpected behaviour or errors', you currently get around 100 games:

Some notable names in there, but without knowing what 'unexpected behaviour' or 'errors' we're talking about, it's hard to know how deeply individual games might be affected. Viewing it optimistically, some of these smell like possibly online service issues (e.g. the older MLB/NBA games). A number of VR games are in there too.

That's....a whole hell of a lot of games.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Yeah, some of those cached results don't exist on the PlayStation store now

DOOM Eternal Standard Edition

Hell’s armies have invaded Earth. Become the Slayer in an epic single-player campaign to conquer demons across dimensions and stop the final destruction of humanity. The only thing they fear... is you. Experience the ultimate combination of speed and power in DOOM Eternal - the next leap in...

Doesn't show the same message as google did, so things have certainly changed/improved over time.

What Ubisoft are hinting at could of been the case days, weeks or months ago. As you said, this whole BC list has clearly been improved upon over time to the point of Sony coming out a few weeks ago and saying these titles work and these ones don't.