• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I wonder if Sony and Ubisoft can give more clarification on the BC issue. Someone at Ubisoft wrote this ( On PlayStation®5, all games will be backward compatible except the following ones: Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Assassin's Creed Chronicles Trilogy Pack, Assassin's Creed Chronicles India, Assassin's Creed Chronicles China, Assassin's Creed Chronicles Russia, Risk, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Werewolves Within, Space Junkies. ) for a reason. Hope some explanation is given.

Oct 27, 2017
Click news and it's the second item, but it's definitely weird haha.
Okay, I can get to the page this way but copying the link and pasting it in a new tab take me to Fenyx Rising. I'm just going to wait for someone that's not Ubisoft or Sony to tell definitively if it works or not.

They seem to have recycled the URL or something, as it original redirects to a game page.

This link should lead to the compatibility article, which still has the games that don't work on it.
Still links to Fenyx Rising, super weird.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing hinges on the definition of "works". Does it boot? Then yes, all but those 10 PS4 games "work". Does it boot, but there's some sort of extra errors over the PS4 version, ranging anywhere between minor shadow glitches to everyone's face is rendered inside out? Well, then we're looking at a different list.

The wording of the Ubisoft statement outright says they are not compatible with the console though, which to me implies I'd get the same result as putting a PS2 disc in my PS5.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Is this an assumption? Sony has been bending the truth some in the last couple of months.
No?
Sony always said that some games may have errors/bugs or lack a feature(like an online store), this is not a secret.
From the BC Support page:
While many of the PS4 games can be played on the PS5 console, some functionality available on the PS4 console may not be found on the PS5 console. Also, some PS4 games may have bugs or work unexpectedly when played on the PS5 console.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I posted this in the Playstation Studios OT, but I guess it makes more sense here now.

I was curious to see how many other games this might apply to, and if you do a Google site search on the Playstation store for that specific wording around 'unexpected behaviour or errors', you currently get around 100 games:

Some notable names in there, but without knowing what 'unexpected behaviour' or 'errors' we're talking about, it's hard to know how deeply individual games might be affected. Viewing it optimistically, some of these smell like possibly online service issues (e.g. the older MLB/NBA games). A number of VR games are in there too.

That's a helluva yikes from me dawg

Hope this isn't the case, I've got a lot of games from the past gen that I'm hoping to play on my PS5.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
CrazyNomad you might just wanna stick a screengrab of it in OP so you don't have to keep trying to change the link. Might be easier for you. The Ubisoft website is infuriating.

Ell6chWU0AAFqLG

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think at this rate, this thread stays open until Ubisoft comes out and says its a mistake. This is quite the roller coaster.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I posted this in the PlayStation Studios OT, but I guess it makes more sense here now.

I was curious to see how many other games this might apply to, and if you do a Google site search on the PlayStation store for that specific wording around 'unexpected behavior or errors', you currently get around 100 games:

Some notable names in there, but without knowing what 'unexpected behavior' or 'errors' we're talking about, it's hard to know how deeply individual games might be affected. Viewing it optimistically, some of these smell like possibly online service issues (e.g. the older MLB/NBA games). A number of VR games are in there too.

Man, what the hell is going on with both Sony & Ubi?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
This may end up being a case of Sony saying its possible for the games to boot, while Ubisoft (and maybe even other devs) ending up with statements that you may have issues even though games are bootable. It's certainly better marketing to say 99% of games are compatible with the PS5

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
This seems shitty as alongside the some games lacking cross save stuff ps5 seems to be more difficult for cross gen games and certainly BC ones for whatever reason. Kind of hoping this is an error as that's a main line game in a last gen game so hardly like anything should be wildly different

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I'm really bummed if that's the case. I'm playing through the AC series and Syndicate was on the list, I bought it not long ago on PSN along with IV and Unity. I'd like to play on a single machine, and that would be the PS5. I hope they can sort whatever issue they're having with the game.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
To be clear, nothing about BC is particularly easy. If titles aren't working right now, (1) there's always a chance it gets patched to improve things, and (2) it's not like they're choosing to not let them work; It's a complex problem they're dealing with.

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It seems that Sony has a classification for games as either "compatible" or "bootable," and Ubisoft PR has interpreted all of their games that are classified "bootable" to therefore not be "(backwards) compatible". Maybe because it's not worth for them to deal with people that will buy these and then run into trouble?

But considering the distinction between "bootable" and "compatible" in Sony nomenclature can mean a lot of things up to some graphical errors, I don't know if we can read anything from Ubisoft's interpretation of these terms if Sony has decided the games that are "bootable" are not worth mentioning in their own statement. I guess we will have to see, but in my speculation this just seems like Ubisoft trying to be on the safe side of PR language.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
yeah, just to be safe i'm gonna hold off on selling my ps4 until i know everything i care about bringing over to ps5 works

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This adds fuel to the fire that when Sony is unusually quiet about certain features they probably have something to hide. Disappointing.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The kinect games might even boot if you run them off an HDD, you probably just can't get past the menu screen with a controller.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Man, what the hell is going on with both Sony & Ubi?

I've spot-checked a couple of titles in that list
Infinite warfare is listed as "Bootable" by Sony in the API that has been mentioned

But then Tearaway is showing as "compatible" as is Doom Eternal
So the info on those PS4 pages isn't always right

Last edited: