• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should console games require consoles turn off internet access in order to play offline modes?

• Yes

Votes: 67 14.0%
  • No

Votes: 411 86.0%

• Total voters

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
What if he doesn't care for any of that nonsense?

This is just dumbshit logic.
Then don't create an Ubisoft account...
I have an Ubisoft account. You WILL get bombarded in-game with shit inside of the menus and for the Achievements you get with it active. If it's annoying on PC, I can only imagine how worse it is on console.
You get achievement pop ups... That's with or without Ubisoft Connect on console. Achievements/trophies are system level.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
You are being an ass for no reason. We only want the option to opt out of creating an account to enjoy a game we paid for. A majority of the time I don't bother updating the game and just hit play game. Your mindset is insufferable, and you are the reason why we have to accept crap like this. It's just a log in, just do it. Blah blah blah, no substance in any of the arguments you have presented us.

I think everyone agrees that people should be able to opt out. What you are seeing is people pointing out that it's hardly the hardship that the OP is trying to make it out to be, and that if this is that big of a problem for the OP then they probably wonder how the OP can even cope with life on the internet in 2021.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

You get achievement pop ups... That's with or without Ubisoft Connect on console. Achievements/trophies are system level.
Ubisoft throws their own shit on top that feeds back into your account because the points go toward rewards; you get all of that. It's obnoxious, at least how it's presented on PC.

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
a game that is functional offline becomes completely non-functional online unless you hand over your personal information. i bet if someone cared enough to raise a stink ubisoft would be forced to make signing in optional. this is nothing more than marketing testing the boundaries because they went their grubby little hands all over your info.
Exactly!! Thank you!! Its such a red flag. If the service is so good why use such underhanded tactics by forcing users?

On PC i have no issues with Connect but i heard its bad on consoles.

Yeah it's a nuisance tbh I don't want anything to do with it. We also pay a lot for these games tbh.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I think everyone agrees that people should be able to opt out. What you are seeing is people pointing out that it's hardly the hardship that the OP is trying to make it out to be, and that if this is that big of a problem for the OP then they probably wonder how the OP can even cope with life on the internet in 2021.
I think people are being condescending to a paying customer that is being inconvenienced no matter how small the issue is. The point of the matter is, he shouldn't have to come on to this forum to write a complaint about it. It obviously annoyed him enough to have tall about it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
On console it's in a separate app you can choose to go to it or not... At least on Xbox.
On PC, all of that stuff is overlayed in-game, on top of the regular Achievements popup.

Then there's the startup popups, and the popups you can get when you accidentally go to the rewards section in the options menu. Shit's annoying.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are being condescending to a paying customer that is being inconvenienced no matter how small the issue is. The point of the matter is, he shouldn't have to come on to this forum to write a complaint about it. It obviously annoyed him enough to have tall about it.

Alternatively they are making about as big a deal about the OP's complaint as the OP is making about not wanting to sign into Ubisoft's service. Hyperbole all around. Yup, sounds like the internet.

Nebuzel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand what the issue is? This is absolutely nothing but a win for the industry and another step closer to full integration regardless of platform you're on and it takes 2 seconds to log in.You poor more effort complaining and making this thread than it does to just log in and reap the benefits.

Privacy. The more services you sign up for, the more likelihood your data is being harvested and spread and sold all around. Have fun with spam emails too.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
if i can order food online without having to make an account op shouldnt have to make another account to play a game. shouldnt expect users to make an account for every little thing they do. ive noticed more and more websites expecting me to have an account to browse or want me to login with google. just leave alone, you can do without one less cow to milk data from

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
On PC, all of that stuff is overlayed in-game, on top of the regular Achievements popup.

Then there's the startup popups, and the popups you can get when you accidentally go to the rewards section in the options menu. Shit's annoying.
Not like that on console. You get the achievement popups, but anything else you have to go into the menu and actively choose to open the secondary app to see the points and unlockables... But I do it anyway because is free gear in game, or cosmetics... I played through Origins and Odyssey on PC and don't recall any of the hassle you're describing...

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020

To be fair I could simply opt to use a throw away account, but companies are stake holders in society and such underhanded tactics are becoming more prevalent. Its not right to us as consumers. We should be given the option to use our services and products in the form that we paid for them. Its a major red flag when a company cripples your console experience to get you to sign up for a service. It wouldn't be prudent for any user to sign up after such underhanded tactics. If they can't even let you opt out then imagine what else they could do?

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
This is such weird logic

"Yeah it's bad. But what about YOUR life huh?"

how does OP's personal life even come into this at any point?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This is such weird logic

"Yeah it's bad. But what about YOUR life huh?"

how does OP's personal life even come into this at any point?

The whole topic is about the OP's personal problem with having to run their console in offline mode to play a game because they can't be bothered to create a burner account to make the problem go away.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
You are being an ass for no reason.

Me "being an ass" would be me reporting your reply to my post where I don't result to ad hominem attacks and point out to the dude who called my post "dumbshit logic" that it's not "dumbshit logic" it's just how things work, there are downsides to all the upsides of modern console gaming. I won't though.

We only want the option to opt out of creating an account to enjoy a game we paid for. A majority of the time I don't bother updating the game and just hit play game. Your mindset is insufferable, and you are the reason why we have to accept crap like this. It's just a log in, just do it. Blah blah blah, no substance in any of the arguments you have presented us.

So far the "substance" of the contrarian argument is nothing more than "I want what I want because I paid for it." Which IS FINE. But it's not how this whole thing works, and it's not some world-ending, console gaming ruining step that was argued. It is annoying and a nuisance, but it is negligible in modern console gaming. And like I pointed out elsewhere: We're 10+ years past the point of no return to argue that Ubisoft making you go through a sign up process for something that the overwhelming majority of people will worry about for all of 2 seconds, and doesn't deny you the ability to play the game you purchased, just the convenience of doing so online. Everything has ups and downs.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why not just log in? If you don't want to use your personal emailaddress just make an emailaddress specifically for stuff like this. Sounds like a non-issue to me tbh.

I signed in once on PS4 and never had to sign in with another Ubisoft game again. Not even when I had a PS5. It works automatically between games.

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
This scenario is something worthy of being considered something that "ruins the console experience". It's literally taking away an integral part of the package that you paid for.

This is not. This is just existing in a constantly connected world.

1. You don't need to create an account to play SP.
2. Why exactly should you be online to play in SP?
3. Burner emails exist for a reason. Also, like... do people not unsubscribe from spam emails? I mean, I've had a "Ubisoft Connect" account since 2008 when it was Uplay and I haven't received a single spam email, since... y'know, I unsubscribed.
4. I mean, if you're worried about Ubisoft tracking how you play a game, by all means... be concerned. about them tracking how many times you beat up a rando pedestrian in Watch Dogs??? How many hours you wasted picking up all the tchotchkes in AC Valhalla?

Games shouldn't have patches, games shouldn't have DLC, games shouldn't have an online component whatsoever. We should just go back to 1992 when we didn't have start screens, consoles didn't ask you to set a time and date, the internet was an option and not something that could provide your console with beneficial content and updates. If your console had a patchable defect you'd need to get a whole replacement.

Why should anyone have to put a disc in a game console and have to wait 10-15+ minutes installing it before playing it, having to delete a game from finite storage space or register for anything in an internet-connected society?

Your argument is essentially "I want to be connected to the internet to play something I don't need the internet to play with." which you've also stated you can do, it just requires a loophole.

This is a nuisance, and I agree with that. Is it something that "ruins the console gaming experience?" No. That happened 16+ years ago when consumers collectively agreed that being online to play games was okay and a necessity for console gaming, or that paying $50+ dollars for an internet subscription, having to download patches and firmware upgrades, among other things was something we could live with. Why did we agree to having that? Well, as others have noted: There are benefits that come with those drawbacks.

The console experience was simple and unencumbered, now it isn't... and registering an account is at worst a 10 minute endeavor to sign up for something you'll only use for that game, and never again; that's on top of all the other stuff you already have to do to get to a launch screen for a game.

Sorry OP. I agree with the essence of your concern, but I disagree with the framing of it as something greater than what it is. It's annoying, but ultimately negligible.

Just because consumers accept online services doesn't mean some organizations can just do anything with the internet. Imagine you were required to sign into Ubisoft connect to get a patch? Wouldn't that be an overreach?

Why not just log in? If you don't want to use your personal emailaddress just make an emailaddress specifically for stuff like this. Sounds like a non-issue to me tbh.

I signed in once on PS4 and never had to sign in with another Ubisoft game again. Not even when I had a PS5. It works automatically between games.

I'm going to consider that tbh.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not "dumbshit logic," it's the reality we all live in, dude. That's what the modern console experience is, it's ~full of caveats~.

You want games digitally so you can buy them at any time and not have to go to a store to get a dusc? Oh, you don't "own" those like you do with physical, and you might eventually lose access to them. Wanna play online on consoles? You have to pay to do that. Just bought a game at wal-mart and put the disc in to play it on your console? Day one patch! 50GB too!

But it is dumbshit logic because you can't compare the both of them. One is necessary the other isn't.

But if the guy wants to play the game with his console being connected online he has to create one or else he can't play the game. I didn't realise this world was full of corporate apologist.

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Because it is a non-issue. Ten times more effort has gone into complaining in this thread than just using a throwaway email to register and login, and then it leaves you alone unless you choose to go to the app. Yeah sometimes it pops up that you completed a Connect challenge or whatever but if that sets someone off I don't know how they manage the internet since about 20 years ago to today.

Just because consumers accept online services doesn't mean some organizations can just do anything with the internet. Imagine you were required to sing into Ubisoft connect to get a patch? Wouldn't that be an overreach?

Sure. But...you're not required to do that. So yes, this imaginary situation you invented would be unacceptable, but it's not what's happening so I'm not sure what your point is.

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Because it is a non-issue. Ten times more effort has gone into complaining in this thread than just using a throwaway email to register and login, and then it leaves you alone unless you choose to go to the app. Yeah sometimes it pops up that you completed a Connect challenge or whatever but if that sets someone off I don't know how they manage the internet since about 20 years ago to today.

Sure. But...you're not required to do that.
Yeah so since its a non issue they shouldn't force us to sign up for such services. Your calculator app on the phone doesn't force you to turn off the internet if you don't sign up. Same should be for an offline campaign that you paid $60 for.

So yes, this imaginary situation you invented would be unacceptable, but it's not what's happening so I'm not sure what your point is.
A similar and equally pernicious situation is whats happening. I used that example to show how absurd the whole thing is.

So I'm not really that bothered by the login stuff as I do have quite a few Ubisoft games (well, they are one of the very few publishers supporting Stadia, so its kinda bound to happen), but if you are someone who has, like, one Ubisoft game and are forced to make an account just to play it, yea I can see how that would just seem super dumb to give a corporation all those account details that they can go do whatever with, for the sake of a single game.
Exactly!!

Man some of yall gonna have real difficulty going forward with technology lol

I honestly don't think we should just sign up for anything regardless of how technology is moving. This is a great example of when it should be optional to sign up for a service.

Last edited:

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
But it is dumbshit logic because you can't compare the both of them. One is necessary the other isn't.

But if the guy wants to play the game with his console being connected online he has to create one or else he can't play the game. I didn't realise this world was full of corporate apologist.
Not a corporate apologist, just don't see reason for so much exaggerated hardship about it. .

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Man some of yall gonna have real difficulty going forward with technology lol

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Just because consumers accept online services doesn't mean some organizations can just do anything with the internet. Imagine you were required to sign into Ubisoft connect to get a patch? Wouldn't that be an overreach?

You require a PSN/XBL or NN account to get patches for games on consoles, you need a Steam/ORIGIN/Uplay/EGS/etc. account to do so on PC also, so... your scenario? Already exists and happens. The overreach isn't an overreach, it's the standard. It just isn't Ubisoft controlling the platform*, and for that very reason Ubisoft can't deny you access to the product you paid money for, but Sony, MS or Nintendo can.. it's their platform.

*Unless you're on PC where you HAVE to use their platform.

No, it isn't, and you can in fact compare them both, because NEITHER of those things are necessary. Physical media ownership set the precedent and had established copyright laws in favor of consumers and fair use, digital media didn't exist until the late 90s and the DMCA threw away existing copyright laws and fair use out the window. You don't have to pay to play online games on PC, you didn't have to pay online on PSN until 2013 and you didn't have to do it on Nintendo until 2018. And games had stricter cert processes when they didn't have to be patched. None of those things are necessary, and neither is the need for an online service like Ubisoft Connect.

So yes, you can compare them, and no... it still isn't "dumbshit logic".

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah so since its a non issue they shouldn't force us to sign up for such services. Your calculator app on the phone doesn't force you to turn off the internet if you don't sign up. Same should be for an offline campaign that you paid $60 for.

A similar and equally pernicious situation is whats happening. I used that example to show how absurd the whole thing is.

Exactly!!
I don't think anyone is going to disagree with you that it's dumb you need to sign in to play an offline game. However, it takes like one minute and you never have to think of it again. Like Keldroc said; more time has gone into this thread than in logging in and enjoying the game.

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
You require a PSN/XBL or NN account to get patches for games on consoles, you need a Steam/ORIGIN/Uplay/EGS/etc. account to do so on PC also, so... your scenario? Already exists and happens. The overreach isn't an overreach, it's the standard. It just isn't Ubisoft controlling the platform*, and for that very reason Ubisoft can't deny you access to the product you paid money for, but Sony, MS or Nintendo can.. it's their platform.
I was talking about Ubisoft requiring me to sign up for their extra services or whatever (that I don't want or need or paid for) in order to update my game after I own an Xbox or Playstation. So no that scenario doesn't exist and it would be downright absurd if it happened. Same thing with requiring me to sign up just so I can play my offline campaign I paid $60 for? Its honestly absurd. The internet doesn't require it and I won't be signing up.

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with you that it's dumb you need to sign in to play an offline game. However, it takes like one minute and you never have to think of it again. Like Keldroc said; more time has gone into this thread than in logging in and enjoying the game.

Honestly thats why we come to the forums to discuss what we enjoy and also point out when things aren't working well or as consumers we're being taken advantage of. I think moving forward I may not be buying games from Ubisoft because of such underhand tactics.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Ubisoft Connect being the way that saves are done on Xbox - rather than saves being kept locally on a hard drive - is why people are losing progress on Xbox Series consoles with the Quick Resume feature. (How? On rare occasions, Ubisoft Connect needs to effectively relaunch to establish a connection - but coming back from Quick Resume means everything is picking right up where it left off, so Ubisoft Connect doesn't get to launch with the game & connect from scratch. So as the player continues their game, the game says its saving, but the game cannot connect to Ubisoft Connect - even with manual saves. The player receives a message that the game cannot reach Ubisoft's servers, but likely ignores this until they stop playing....and all that progress is for nothing.)

Read about the many, many people upset with the hours of lost save progress in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla here.

There is so much wrong with Ubisoft Connect that goes its utter intrusiveness. And its not just fundamentally flawed, either. It actively does not work well with modern consoles.

Big miss, Ubi.

Last edited:

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Ubisoft Connect being the way that saves are done on Xbox - rather than being saved locally to a hard drive - is why people are losing progress on Xbox Series consoles with the Quick Resume feature.

Read about the many, many people upset with the hours of lost save progress in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla here.

There is so much wrong with Ubisoft Connect that goes its utter intrusiveness. And its not just fundamentally flawed, either. It actively does not work well with modern consoles.

Big miss, Ubi.

Uh, that sounds like a "Big miss, MS" issue more than a Ubisoft Connect issue, since it seems to be tied to how Microsoft's ecosystem for the Series consoles works, not Ubisofts. Unless it's also happening on the PS5?

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Ubisoft Connect being the way that saves are done on Xbox - rather than being saved locally to a hard drive - is why people are losing progress on Xbox Series consoles with the Quick Resume feature.

Big miss, Ubi.
Thank you. It's such a red flag how they try to force people to sign up i'm not surprised it has such issues.

I'm glad you don't have any issues with it. Its a subjective issue but I think the overwhelming consensus is it's not liked by a lot of users.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Uh, that sounds like a "Big miss, MS" issue more than a Ubisoft Connect issue, since it seems to be tied to how Microsoft's ecosystem for the Series consoles works, not Ubisofts. Unless it's also happening on the PS5?
Good question.
PlayStation has the ability to upload a save to the PlayStation cloud, optionally, as well. So that if Ubi screws up a save - at least the player can download their save from the PlayStation cloud. With Microsoft, there is no optional upload of a save to a Microsoft cloud.

Side note on the PlayStation save for AC:V users - players have to manually set this to be a PSN Cloud save. And it is a good idea to make sure that save file is kept up-to-date. (A manual save that is not marked as a PSN Cloud save will just be another Ubisoft Connect Cloud save.)

But with both Microsoft and PlayStation, Ubisoft does not allow for saves to be kept locally.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Privacy. The more services you sign up for, the more likelihood your data is being harvested and spread and sold all around. Have fun with spam emails too.

Don't forget making more accounts increase the likelihood that one of them might get compromised down the future, which leads to leaked account information like email password or credit card info.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Good question.
PlayStation has the ability to upload a save to the PlayStation cloud, optionally, as well. So that if Ubi screws up a save - at least the player can download their save from the PlayStation cloud. With Microsoft, there is no optional upload of a save to a Microsoft cloud.

But with both Microsoft and PlayStation, Ubisoft does not allow for saves to be kept locally.

Wait, uh... what? I've got a local save file for Valhalla on my PS5?

EDIT: Yep, it's right there

EutiLNUWYAYHUpf

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad you don't have any issues with it. Its a subjective issue but I think the overwhelming consensus is it's not liked by a lot of users
The overwhelming consensus where? On ERA? Most of the people playing video games couldn't care less just like they couldn't care less they have to make accounts for TikTok or Amazon.

If that is not something you want no one is forcing you to buy these games. There is plenty of DRM free stuff on platforms like GoG.

If this were an issue for the overwhelming majority of players they would've disabled it within a day.

If you don't like it, don't support it by giving them money.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't Bethesda do this now too?

or do you just need an account

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Didn't know this was that integrated as I've had a uplay/connect account since the 360 days and into auto logs you in.

Single player with watch dogs isn't offline though. There are elements of the game that need online to function. They had stuff like this with watch dogs 2. A ubi account should be optional though. Forcing you to sign up like Bethesda did with doom eternal sucks.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Wait, uh... what? I've got a local save file for Valhalla on my PS5?

EDIT: Yep, it's right there

EutiLNUWYAYHUpf
Yes, Xbox has that, too. A generic placeholder with your name and profile connecting you with Ubisoft Connect.
But here's the thing: There is NO save there that you can access in that information.

You are literally at the mercy of Ubisoft Connect.

We've been talking about this for months. Here is a YouTube video from November when I first heard about this. (Not my video)

That's why I'm saying PlayStation users should absolutely take advantage of their PSN Cloud storage so they're not relying on Ubisoft. Just my 2-cents.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
The overwhelming consensus where? On ERA? Most of the people playing video games couldn't care less just like they couldn't care less they have to make accounts for TikTok or Amazon.

If that is not something you want no one is forcing you to buy these games. There is plenty of DRM free stuff on platforms like GoG.

If this were an issue for the overwhelming majority of players they would've disabled it within a day.

If you don't like it, don't support it by giving them money.

Yup not going to support such underhanded tactics moving forward. I already paid for it so I will turn off my internet when I play it or using a throwaway account.

Didn't know this was that integrated as I've had a uplay/connect account since the 360 days and into auto logs you in.

Single player with watch dogs isn't offline though. There are elements of the game that need online to function. They had stuff like this with watch dogs 2. A ubi account should be optional though. Forcing you to sign up like Bethesda did with doom eternal sucks.
My younger siblings play the campaign for Watchdogs 2 back home in Africa but the internet isn't good or too expensive. I'm sure it's a hustle for them but I'll ask to see how they do it. But moving forward I'm not buying games that require this. Its a red flag, they could do worse with our information if they can resort to such underhanded tactics.

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Yes, Xbox has that, too. A generic placeholder with your name and profile connecting you with Ubisoft Connect.
But here's the thing: There is NO save there that you can access in that information.

We've been talking about this for months. Here is a YouTube video from November when I first heard about this. (Not my video)
This is messed up if true!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not about to say it isn't a nuisance dealing with all these additional launchers but ya'll should probably settle in cause they aren't going anywhere, and the online requirement will probably only get worse from here on out. At least with games you can integrate accounts between launchers like Steam and EGS to stuff like Ubisoft Connect and Rockstar Games Launcher, it's the fragmented nature of video streaming services that irks me. Dear lord there are too many of them, I miss the days when Netflix was doing deals with all the film and tv studios for licensing. The way all these additional "channels" have been integrated into stuff like Prime Video or Apple TV is obnoxious, I have to keep reminding myself to only select the "free to me" tab in Prime Video otherwise you're greeted with a crap ton of additional subscriptions you'll need to watch anything. /rant

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020

That's why I'm saying PlayStation users should absolutely take advantage of their PSN Cloud storage so they're not relying on Ubisoft. Just my 2-cents.

I just checked this out, and... not sure if this was rectified with the latest patch, but the save file on my console is not a generic placeholder. My saves load and work even when I'm not connected to the internet. That said, I don't have access to the UbiConnect autosave, but all of my autosaves seem to be local.

Also MS has had their "prioritize cloud saves over local saves" policy in place since the ONE. This might just be a Series S/X thing (or a PS4 thing since the video's showing the PS4 saving/loading).

Eutod6dXIAA7E8u

EutodtUWQAcoQEt

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox platforms all have me log into an account. That is my account on their platform. I should not have to create any other account. I've been using these accounts since OG Xbox and PS3, and I've not created an EA account, an Ubisoft account, an Activision account, or any other account since, and I will continue to not do so, because they should just use my existing account, and if they don't, well then I'm not interested in whatever I'm missing out on.

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox platforms all have me log into an account. That is my account on their platform. I should not have to create any other account. I've been using these accounts since OG Xbox and PS3, and I've not created an EA account, an Ubisoft account, an Activision account, or any other account since, and I will continue to not do so, because they should just use my existing account, and if they don't, well then I'm not interested in whatever I'm missing out on.
Amen!!

I'm not about to say it isn't a nuisance dealing with all these additional launchers but ya'll should probably settle in cause they aren't going anywhere, and the online requirement will probably only get worse from here on out. At least with games you can integrate accounts between launchers like Steam and EGS to stuff like Ubisoft Connect and Rockstar Games Launcher, it's the fragmented nature of video streaming services that irks me. Dear lord there are too many of them, I miss the days when Netflix was doing deals with all the film and tv studios for licensing. The way all these additional "channels" have been integrated into stuff like Prime Video or Apple TV is obnoxious, I have to keep reminding myself to only select the "free to me" tab in Prime Video otherwise you're greeted with a crap ton of additional subscriptions you'll need to watch anything. /rant
You bring up a very valid point. This could be an issue that gamers face as well moving forward. I don't want a subscription from every single thing, I just want to buy into a platform and play games.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
So hey, if any UbiSoft astroturfer or executive is running this, here's an idea for you.

A launcher app for Xbox or PlayStation to launch your Ubisoft games. Also, force the downloads through there, not through the Xbox or PS system.

You're welcome.

(I'm just gonna bookmark this post and see if I was right in the upcoming years).

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Ubisoft Connect on PC is so so so much worse. It crashes all the time on my rig, and if it crashes while you're playing something, you either get kicked from the game entirely (Division 2), your progress is not recorded until you completely reboot the game (Fenix).

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

They do do this, basically. My Ubisoft Connect account is linked to my PSN, XB and Steam IDs. If you want Sony or whoever to link your PSN account to Ubisofts service themself then I don't really know what to tell you.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They do do this, basically. My Ubisoft Connect account is linked to my PSN, XB and Steam IDs. If you want Sony or whoever to link your PSN account to Ubisofts service themself then I don't really know what to tell you.
It's not about linking your PSN account to Ubisoft's automatically, it's about not having to have an account in the first place. If you don't want live events and all of that stuff, or if you don't want whatever kind of stuff you'd get from an Activision account in Call of Duty beyond seeing your K:D ratio if you actually care about it, you should just be able to bypass that stuff and play the game.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm not sure how it works as I haven't had a console for a few gens but I would say this; You should be able to play your games with as little friction as possible. If you need multiple service accounts you should be able to store those credentials on the system so that you are never asked for them in the UI flow.

It is seamless if you have an Ubisoft account already setup. For example, I didn't realize Fenyx had the requirement until my SO gave it a go, because I already had my login linked to my console account.

Since when did this start? I was able to play fenyx rising without signing into my ubisoft account on Ps5 just fine in December

You likely synced your PSN and Ubi accounts sometime in the past, so it was already there.

I moved from PS4 Pro to Series X with Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I signed in after the install and was playing as if I'd always played it on Xbox. You have to wait for the full download and install, though. Doesn't work if it's just st "ready to start".

This is why they're doing it. Most likely a PM thought "Everyone is going to love this feature! They can move across console and PC w/no friction!" PMs always thing everyone is going to love every feature. They never imagine someone NOT wanting something that is free.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It's not about linking your PSN account to Ubisoft's automatically, it's about not having to have an account in the first place. If you don't want live events and all of that stuff, or if you don't want whatever kind of stuff you'd get from an Activision account in Call of Duty beyond seeing your K:D ratio if you actually care about it, you should just be able to bypass that stuff and play the game.

In this case looks like it goes beyond more stat tracking. It would allow them to play the game without disconnecting the network. This kind of stuff is a non issue for me, but I am a prodominately PC gamer so I already have 100 account to play games. I never notice this stuff on my consoles because I linked it all to my gamertags etc. as soon as it became available. Here, they can either disconnect their system every time they want to play or bite the bullet and take 5 minutes to create a Ubisoft Connect account. They can spend 5 more to sync the account to their gamertag so they never have to worry about this happening in another Ubisoft game again.