• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I'm very much here for splinter cell VR, not as much for ACVR, but would buy it anyway.

I know non-vr folks gonna be mad, but if they take it seriously the SC format has a load of potential as a VR game.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they are dedicating proper resources and a team for this VR project and not just shoehorning it into one of their existing upcoming games. This is how it should be done if you got them resources, of course.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
This would be a PERFECT way to bring back Splinter Cell. Also why the heck would anybody even complain about this? LOL!

In my opinion with Metal Gear being dead, this is the perfect time to make a proper Splinter Cell game with great stealth mechanics and designed levels. They would even be able to push the visuals and enemy AI to crazy levels because the game shouldn't be open world.

I feel like a VR game would be too gimmicky and only appeal to a small market. They would pretty much be sending it out to die.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking of all the possibilities, but then yeah... it's probably going to be Just Dance VR ¬_¬.

For now I'll expect the worst, and then be disappointed anyway.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
It's amusing that people are thinking this is anything besides Assassin's Creed.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
5abbb795321674f8778b4648

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The education spin of things they do for AC would be great in VR. Exploring their beautiful historic cities in VR would be right up my alley.
A AAA stealth game in VR would be amazing too, but not settling myself up for disappointment when it's not Splinter Cell.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
In my opinion with Metal Gear being dead, this is the perfect time to make a proper Splinter Cell game with great stealth mechanics and designed levels. They would even be able to push the visuals and enemy AI to crazy levels because the game shouldn't be open world.

I feel like a VR game would be too gimmicky and only appeal to a small market. They would pretty much be sending it out to die.

There's literally nothing gimmicky about VR. After playing Asgard's Wrath and Boneworks, ehh.... as far as gimmicks are concerned, there's nothing worse now than pancake gaming. Splinter Cell seems like a perfect franchise to push VR along with Half-Life and Medal of Honor.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
There's literally nothing gimmicky about VR. After playing Asgard's Wrath and Boneworks, ehh.... as far as gimmicks are concerned, there's nothing worse now than pancake gaming. Splinter Cell seems like a perfect franchise to push VR along with Half-Life and Medal of Honor.

Huh? I think the entire thing is a gimmick. I very expensive one at that too. Time will tell I guess.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
It's amusing that people are thinking this is anything besides Assassin's Creed.
Haven't played Assassin's Creed but I've always been under the impression is was focused a lot on traversal. Splinter Cell is traditionally slower, methodical, so it'd be inherently more comfortable for newcomers. It's also oozing with high-tech gadgets to augment your vision, manipulate with your hands, etc, so it would have really engaging interactivity that VR does best.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

I'd argue the other way around. VR makes better use of stealth than what traditional displays can allow, so if we have to label something gimmicky, it's more fair to say the non-VR versions would be gimmicky. But I wouldn't label it like that either way, I'm just making the point that VR is a perfect fit here.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Can't play VR games because I become motion sick quickly. So any VR exclusive is something I'm never ever going to be able to play.
If the game offered teleportation, you may be able to play just fine. No playtesters have gotten any sickness symptoms playing Alyx (including people who say exactly what you say), and I expect almost no one will when it releases, specifically because it supports teleportation and is built to be comfortable.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Assassin's Creed but I've always been under the impression is was focused a lot on traversal. Splinter Cell is traditionally slower, methodical, so it'd be inherently more comfortable for newcomers. It's also oozing with high-tech gadgets to augment your vision, manipulate with your hands, etc, so it would have really engaging interactivity that VR does best.

The entire theme of Assassin's Creed is you're in one giant VR simulation. To me that just makes it the no-brainer choice, although I do understand the thoughts with Splinter Cell. I don't see them doing a Splinter Cell VR game without a new standalone title though, otherwise players will be preeeetty salty.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Far Cry may not be their biggest but it makes 100% the mist sense for vr. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It can't be Splinter cell, they can't be that stupid.
What am I saying it's UBISOFT, of course they can.
Did they see the trailer for Half life Alyx and decide they could do that in some way?

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
Huh? I think the entire thing is a gimmick. I very expensive one at that too. Time will tell I guess.

I'm not sure how on earth VR is a gimmick. Feeling like you're literally inside a virtual world and being able to walk around and use your hands with perfect tracking is absolutely incredible. It's no more of an expensive gimmick than television, radio, or the Internet.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how on earth VR is a gimmick. Feeling like you're literally inside a virtual world and being able to walk around and use your hands with perfect tracking is absolutely incredible. It's no more of an expensive gimmick than television, radio, or the Internet.

Yeah, I will never understand the "gimmick" comments. I had the "gimmick" feeling very often during the motion controllers' craze. It boiled down to a combination of two things: (1) The feeling that I was forced to do something that would have been way easier with a press of a button and (2) The feeling that my action was artificial anyway.

(1) is true in VR, but this is hardly surprising because most actions in real life would have been easier if they could be performed with a button press. But when a VR game is designed well, you will never get (2).

Oct 27, 2017
Splinter Cell would be fucking lit. Give me that night vision. A good stealth game would be so tense in VR. Really wish we could get a Thief, Prey or Dishonored as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Rayman would work well with the disembodied hand stuff VR is doing. Visually at least. Probably not gameplay.
You know that some of the best VR games out there aren't using first person perspectives right? Rayman wouldn't have to be first person game, it could work wonderfully in VR. The world of Legends was so pretty, I would love to be inside of it while playing a new platformer game.

Feb 16, 2020
You know that some of the best VR games out there aren't using first person perspectives right? Rayman wouldn't have to be first person game, it could work wonderfully in VR. The world of Legends was so pretty, I would love to be inside of it while playing a new platformer game.
I was more making a joke about disembodied hands and how Rayman has them than any serious commentary on what VR can and can't be.

I wonder how a 2D art program like UbiArt could translate to 3D VR - it could be possible and it could look pretty nice - I remember early Tilt Brush painted stuff looking really nice and being in a 3D painting being cool.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
From my experience, Ubisofts offerings seem a bit tone deaf when it comes to VR games, although I definitely applaud their efforts since it's such a budding technology with a lot of risk. Space Junkies, for example, had some potential, but they completely missed the price point for a VR multiplayer game with limited content/support. And they had skins as rewards and shit...like, we aren't there yet dudes. Focus on the strengths of VR: physical interaction-based possibilities, immersion/presence, etc. Don't pour resources across the same elements that are in standard games yet; keep it simple and build some groundwork to show what VR is capable of.

I'm not confident that they will realize this with a AAA franchise, they'll probably make it story heavy with VR's version of QTE's. I'm still interested in what they're doing though.

Honestly, I'd even rather them do what I think most big companies should do with VR: build a VR compatible version of non-VR games during development with proper UI. Assassins Creed for example, could still be a 3rd person game in VR, just make it so your head is the camera. They could choose to include motion controls or not; while I think the games should eventually be more geared to the strengths of VR's unique controls, I still think standard games could benefit from seeing the world from a wider FoV, full sterescopic 3D, and your head as the camera. It's been done and it works just fine.

Last edited: