• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
So convenient when they can use strong political themes and messages in their games but in reality act cowardly in the face of real regimes and oppression. Is it so hard to for them to do pro democratic statements as a company?
Do you understand that they are a massive company with offices even in China? Getting in trouble with the government would hit them directly since they not only release their products there, they also have business offices?
And you understand that what a game you developed does doesn't mean you have to do in real life as well, right?

Some of the replies here are baffling.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That apology is a political statement. I thought Ubi didn't make political statements.

Honestly tarnishes my excitement for the game. After skipping 2 after the first was such a disappointment, I was rather looking forward to this one.

Spineless cowards.

Ailanthium

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Do you understand that they are a massive company with offices even in China? Getting in trouble with the government would hit them directly since they not only release their products there, they also have business offices?
And you understand that what a game you developed does doesn't mean you have to do in real life as well, right?

Of course they'd suffer financially from it. That's the point everyone is making. I think people understand why Ubisoft decided to apologize for their statement, it's just a disappointing move and weakens the message the game itself sends. Then again, I don't blame the developers for a decision that was likely made by the publisher itself far beyond their reach.

The people of Hong Kong are absolutely right in protesting the extradition bill. But Ubisoft is a business, and the only thing that matters to businesses is their bottom dollar. As it stands there's little chance of a business making a product that supports civil resistance without coming across as hypocritical at best. Not at the size of Ubisoft.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
No one should ever be fooled into thinking their "deep political themes" of their games mean anything to them. Capitalism always has superiority when a conflict comes.

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
They probably didnt mean to evoke that imagery, but it's just more evidence that Ubisoft wants all the POWER of modern day political imagery and themes, with none of the RESPONSIBLITY of saying anything about it.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people

Oh I know Ubisoft really well and you think that post would cause Ubi being banned in China, right? You realize how many games are banned in China just for having the wrong political theme (revolting against the state, violence, depicting certain territories as independent etc.). Those game companies still exist just fine and still have relations with China. Hell in Battlefield 4 China is an opposing faction and I haven't seen EA retroactively trying to not offend the Chinese government. In fact many of the biggest games worldwide are banned in China. Even EA and Take-Two have offices and employees in China despite their banned products like pretty much every big game company.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck you Ubisoft for aligning yourselves that don't support justice. There was no reason to apologize if your shit isn't political in the first place.

Never purchasing a Ubisoft product.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft wants that sweet Communist totalitarian money. Ironic considering their games are about heroes fighting these regimes.

Nov 20, 2017
Just seems like damage control to me. Ubisoft is a video games company, not some anarchist organization lol.

Their main intent is to make money, as is any company providing a good or service.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me wishes Trump's trade war extends to banning Chinese investments in games. This would lead to relatiation and affect things such as Epic's China connection, and Tencent's Nintendo stuff, but it's worth the price of decoupling the western games industry and the slimy profit chasing capitalists who would do anything for a buck.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RA RA FIGHT THE POWA.

Until the power fights back. We are so so sorry, we never meant to step on any toes, please forgive us. Up with the establishment! Goooo team!

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
are those real genuine comments from the chinese people or is this the chinese government bot / astroturfing army at work

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Well, it's unfortunate that they apologized, but that's 100% expected. Advertising is about messaging, and if the Mainland Chinese crowd sees that ad as against them who in hell would expect a company to not issue some statement? This is not an activist collective.

The messaging comes from the game, the actual work. The people who make the game have nothing to do with the way it's marketed, so I don't really get the "undermining the work's message" thing.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Putting business needs before any supposed message or theming they're attempting to depict in the game shows that the values and images of protest and counter-culture are merely being co-opted (This isn't new with ubisoft) and that any message, no matter how watered down, is even more of a facade. The first watchdogs was critical of mass surveillance, a reality in China.

By not holding companies accountable to the values they supposedly sell, we're just letting them walk hand in hand with oppressive regimes down the path of games just becoming toothless treatise at best or self-imposing propaganda.

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
*create anti authoritarian game*
*authoritarians get mad at you*
"sorry. Im sorry. Im trying to remove it"

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta get them sales, tho. Everyday we see new ways Capitalism can be used to be a driving force for stagnation and/or oppression.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
all these companies will bend the knee it's just too much money to lose out on at the end of the day

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Guys, they aren't just cowards, that just got scared.

There are well paid people making these decisions.

The reason they are doing it is cuz they want to profit from appropriating imagery and struggle of people putting their necks out there, while not having to deal with any consequences of commiting to it. They are having their cake and eating it. It's gross and they shouldn't get any benefit of a doubt on this anymore.,

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I find Ubisoft's 'non-political' stance to be really distasteful and harmful. It reminds me of people who say they don't see race. The result here is bowing to repressive and authoritative states.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow

If you aren't willing to stick your neck out, you aren't allowed to use that imagery. You do not get to appropriate struggle of actual people that are at actual risk, without putting yourself at risk. If you want to piggy back on a social movement, you do not get to denounce that movement when it's suddenly inconvenient to you.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
There is no winning here. If they had left the ad without an apology, it could be viewed as them using real protests and strife to promote video game sales, which is also in poor taste.
Honestly, they should have just not run the ad in China

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Chinese snowflakes. As usual.

Edit: reading the Chinese version again, there was nothing there stating that they are protecting London. Hence the confusion and misunderstanding. But what really confuses me is whoever uploaded that must've been really tone deaf considering what is happening in Hong Kong and how mainland Chinese people would've read the post. The poster needs to be fired for not doing his/her job really. Really bad miscommunication there.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I can't imagine blaming Ubisoft for just trying to stay out of controversy and not trying to get into trouble in one of the major markets in the world.

If you aren't willing to stick your neck out, you aren't allowed to use that imagery. You do not get to appropriate struggle of actual people that are at actual risk, without putting yourself at risk. If you want to piggy back on a social movement, you do not get to denounce that movement when it's suddenly inconvenient to you.

Well, they aren't using that imagery any longer.
I don't see where they denounced the Hong Kong protests. All they've done is claim that they weren't referencing the protests.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Another big company after Blizzard bowing down and sucking China's balls. sigh.

You mean after Apple, Microsoft, Google, Tesla et al? Comparatively, Blizzard and Ubisoft are small fry.

Singling out Ubisoft is weird. Tons of western companies have had to bend over backwards to keep the Chinese authorities happy.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
What a fucking joke. Not a surprise though, this is the same company that almost destroyed Rainbow 6 Siege's atmosphere just co comply with China.