• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Just as a reminder, Square also went ahead with their pre-recorded Avengers presentation even though all the VO in that video was done by Casey Lynch, one of the abusers mentioned when all of that IGN abuse stuff came out.

Not defending either company, just pointing out that they've both fucked up.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I mean, it's way too close to make a decent edited video and insert it there, so I get it.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a decent move. At least acknowledging the issues rather than pretend it didn't happen.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
They should at least post a video of it on YouTube. You can post multiple videos a day - I know that.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Not gonna defend Ubi, but if the cases are so recent, even making a two minutes statement to alter the video could be a monumental task for all the social media, press and official channels. At least they're not keeping it under the rug and being more direct than Blizzard last year during their Blizzcon.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about you delay your event out of respect for your employees who have been harmed, rather than use it as some thinly veiled attempt to get some potential good press and to shake off some of the heat?

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
How about you delay your event out of respect for your employees who have been harmed, rather than use it as some thinly veiled attempt to get some potential good press and to shake off some of the heat?

And how that would exactly help those workers who have been harassed (etc) and also have been working on the vertical demos for this show?
Will they respect them more internally if the show is delayed two weeks?

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): Dismissive driveby, account in junior phase
It's a game event so why should they?

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Editing takes a long time to be done properly multi language, perfectly understandable.
But a text message where there should have been a countdown is what i thought we would get, or a few minutes reading aloud piece, even if it's just reading the press announcements.
Or just delay the damn thing by a week, wouldn't have been the first delay to occur in these troubled times.

We'll see...

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't even really know what they could say at this point to really make any difference. It's either going to be seen as exploitative or insincere. It's going to take action, such as the recent resignations, to make any real difference to people, and I don't think someone talking on a webcam and saying a bunch of nice things in a glorified toy commercial is going to have any real impact at this point with all that's happened.

Well there it is, kinda worried about every release post 2021 now...

Ubisoft team sizes are generally so big that even major figures could leave and not really have a significant impact. I'd be very surprised if anything that comes from this disrupts development of any titles in a major way.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Editing takes a long time to be done properly multi language, perfectly understandable.
But a text message where there should have been a countdown is what i thought we would get, or a few minutes reading aloud piece, even if it's just reading the press announcements.
Or just delay the damn thing by a week, wouldn't have been the first delay to occur in these troubled times.

We'll see...

They do state that they won't talk about it "directly". It's possible that there might be a message throughout the show as a slide or something like that.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All else aside, this feels like a truly terrible time for them to be putting this out at all.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Understandable that they couldn't make a complete segment about this but a shame that they are only mentioning it before the event when they could have thrown that image at the front of the presentation itself

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
This is just PR in anticipation of a backlash for not addressing it, if they really wanted they could have added a recently recorded message to the start of their presentation.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I expected nothing else but I am kinda surprised they even make any statement in regards to this in combination with the event.

I expected them to keep those topics seperate ... if that makes sense? Like act like nothing happened. Like Blizzard with HK.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Green screen + camera + someone to say something. Edit it to the beginning of the video, render again.

It's not hard. They just don't care.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I surprised people thought they would. Majority of people probably don't know anything about what's going on, They're not going to draw attention to it during what is essentially a giant commercial.

And even if they did address it in the stream there's no way to get anything across with any sincerity when it's immediately followed with "Now here's all our new products we want you to buy". And who would even do it? Which higher ups are still there that aren't either under investigation for abuse or knowingly allowed it to happen.

Not defending their stance, but it was pretty inevitable.

Last edited:

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Would anyone really buy a half arsed apology / address during a game PR reel? It would potentially bring it to the attention of people who don't already know (which I'm sure they obviously don't want - but it's possibly too late, you can't stop the signal Mal) but it's also like expecting them to willfully harm their own PR event of the year. Which would by proxy potentially harm innocent developers (bonuses etc) who had nothing to do with the egregious behaviour we've heard about.

I'd rather hear from them (about this) when they've done something solid. Sacked people. Restructured. Gone to the police.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
So they're not saying anything so the video audience that didn't know about it remains unaware?

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised, though at least they're telling everyone in advance. They could've done something quick though.

monome

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No way they considered mixing the two.
That's just a way of covering their asses for the inevitable deluge of "off topic" commentaries during the show

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I'm assuming they will show the statement they released not too long ago on twitter before the video plays .

But that's about all I'm assuming . Never expected them to last minute re do a video that's gonna drop in 3 hours

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
As someone else said earlier this in thread, adding/editing in a statement doesn't really accomplish anything that this statement and their recent actions already aren't addressing. Dismissing whether or not Ubisoft cares or is taking this seriously, based on the presentation of their games-focused direct, is exactly why they shouldn't bother editing the Forward; because folks will (justifiably) disbelieve the sincerity and honesty of the addition. Nothing said on Twitter or in this video would do a damn thing to convince or put-at-ease the folks that are most critical of Ubi right now. It's just gonna take a lot more publicity from announced firings and infrastructure changes.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually quite perplexing they even released this see through message in regards to their marketing event.

Oct 25, 2017
"We would rather have our new games dominate the headlines rather than the fact our untouchable CEO has been enabling toxic abusers for years, please."

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
They have no one to put in front of a camera. Yves can't be the one adressing the issue and they haven't hired anyone yet. So the only thing they have is a message before the event.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I expected them to straight up not even acknowledge it, so even if they're doing it outside of the show, I'm slightly pleasantly surprised. But at this point they should have just delayed it.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
That's a disappointment. Whatever they produce won't get the same amount of views as this event. But at least they're making changes.

Still a million times better than CDPR. They even appear to be off limits to journalist.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This is just PR in anticipation of a backlash for not addressing it, if they really wanted they could have added a recently recorded message to the start of their presentation.
Yup, preemptive damage control. They just want to avoid causing everyone to think about the serious internal issues rather than the upcoming games they show.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Well, it would sound ridiculous to go "We're sorry about everything that happened on our company but here are some games please be excited" anyway, so it's a good call.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking terrible decision. Could've easily added a bit before it begins, and it's a hard spot they're in but definitely one that their higher-ups and HR have been actively participating in for a long time. So they could've at least tried to add a piece to the beginning of the show - keep firing and clearing house behind the scenes (good first steps) but publicly and vocally make sure you make it known the company is committed to address harassment and abuse and is enforcing change. Why not on their company's biggest games media day of the year?

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And how that would exactly help those workers who have been harassed (etc) and also have been working on the vertical demos for this show?
Will they respect them more internally if the show is delayed two weeks?

So they can release a statement with their show. All this does is help bury the lede and offer less exposure to the issue to the more mainstream audience who isnt aware of the behind the scenes scum at Ubi.

This just comes off as "Whoa hey look over there!"

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Shame on them. They could have at least pre recorded a statement to address this.

If they do their typical we're a family section it's going to come off even faker than usual and super tone deaf