• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
q1PPwba.jpg

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Can WDL players weigh in on this? Is there more stuff like this in the game?
If so, that's pretty positive in my opinion

All watch dogs are extreme political and in good ways. Its funny they say they aren't but they are typically on the best side of things politically

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
The game director has said in the past that this game is not apolitical.

"This is a game with story lines about xenophobia, authoritarianism, the militarization of the police, about relevant things," [game director Kent] Hudson said. "And we take a position on that stuff and we deal with it head on. I certainly don't think we're shy about that."

One such story line chronicles deporting foreigners "out of xenophobic fear." Some recruiting missions require you to free a person from unjust incarceration. The game even features a holding camp for those waiting to be deported.

"Every creative work takes a political stance," Hocking said. "That's not even a question. Either you're making explicit statements or you're just accepting implicit statements, maybe in the status quo or something like that. And we've never been shy about it. I said it onstage at E3, there are authoritarians and we are opposed to them."

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
The people doing the corporate & product PR and the devs and writers actually creating the game have very different objectives.

Just because the executives try and push a narrative that their games aren't political doesn't mean the actual game creators feel the same way.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

Can WDL players weigh in on this? Is there more stuff like this in the game?
If so, that's pretty positive in my opinion

The game is full of subtle and not so subtle shitting on fascism and stuff like brexit.

Just like the director said but ERA ignored because of 'LOL UBISOFT NOT POLITICAL'

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
There's more, a lot more.

I mean, it's hacker hipsters against the Man in a contemporary-future dystopian post-Brexit London where the bad guys are tech execs and mercenary corp CEOs perpetuating a police state. Minus some of those specifics, this series has always been on that angle, really.

It's 6 minutes into the future from the eyes of highly informed rebels staging a semi-revolution, so you have a lot of talking points that are innately political and non-subtly linked to current affairs, often through channels like podcast discussions, numerous scavengeable opinion pieces, even random dialogue between two idling NPCs.

If anything, the naturalistic dialogue is what impresses me most. I s'pose everyone's listened to enough podcasts/talk shows and can relate to the topics at hand well enough that they can mimic people just shooting the breeze quite smoothly..!!

Story still is a bit of a sham, though.

Last edited:

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I think it just got moved up in my timeliness of buy from bargain bin to ÂŁ35...

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
You know what? When this goes on sale I'm gonna buy this. Would pay full price but I already have way too much shit to play.

Edit: ^^Great minds

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Humorous background radio chatter for their hacking game doesn't really cancel out decades of violent right-wing fantasies about murdering Black and Brown people, or their ongoing direct partnership with the US military.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
It's just a shame that this kind of content is tied to the rest of the game, which does not take the topic as seriously because it's more important to be a whacky game for streamers where you can put a pig mask on a machine gun-wielding grandma and ride drones through the air because good God, isn't that just fucking funny.

Or maybe it's a good thing because exposure™, I don't know. The tone of the game just doesn't work for me at all.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a shame that this kind of content is tied to the rest of the game, which does not take the topic as seriously because it's more important to be a whacky game for streamers where you can put a pig mask on a machine gun-wielding grandma and ride drones through the air because good God, isn't that just fucking funny.

Or maybe it's a good thing because exposure™, I don't know. The tone of the game just doesn't work for me at all.
The pig mask may seem "funny" and whacky, but it's an overt British reference to Piggate.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, it is more important to be a fun game first. Don't equip the pig mask and drone if you don't like them.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I am so into this not just because it's a very cool way of delivering common sense and facts, but it also adds a ton as far as realistic UK radio goes. Very impressive and I'd like to see a lot more of this in games.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017

This will always be the issue as long as you're tied to the kind of AAA games Ubisoft is making. There are clearly people on those teams that care very deeply and put in a lot of effort but it's always weighed down by other dumb ass decisions that will always happen in that environment. It was the same with Watchdogs 2 (which I think is a way better game than Legion overall). That game has some of my favorite writing in the more recent Ubisoft games but even that game suffers from tonal clashes and thematic confusion because, at the end of the day, it is still that kind of videogame. I'm also just gonna leave this here.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That Channel/The audiologs of that Podcast are great. Which make it even a bigger shame you cant listen to them while Walking around.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Something I don't really understand is why people care so much whether the devs/publisher say that their game is political or not. In the end what matters is what is in the game

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
"Our games are not political" pretty much always means "please stop asking about this because trying to be overly formal about it will not end up in a way you like" more than anything else.
I keep re-reading this, but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you mean if they assign a political lean to their game but fall short it looks worse than if they say it's apolitical but lean slightly left?

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
That Channel/The audiologs of that Podcast are great. Which make it even a bigger shame you cant listen to them while Walking around.
This is true, how is that not an option in a game released in 2020. I would love to put that stuff on in the background while I collect shit or do other mindless sidestuff but apparently you cannot.

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday in this game I

- Protected Stormzy making a music video after he goes on a full blown rant about the people in power and claiming he is the one thing that scares them, a black man with money and a voice
- Stopped a joined effort between the British police and an anti-immigrant hate group who were working together to provoke immigrants who would likely resort to violence to capture it on the news to further increase anti-immigrant attitudes in England

It is tonally jarring, but the game is actively political

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America

Yeah, it's a buummer, one of my primary pet issues. >_<

I still do not know why they removed the ability to access your own personal device/optik, or at least give the option to browse music while on foot, because LO, I think some ambient tracks or radio background noise would really help alleviate the occasional feeling of emptiness throughout the game space.

Handling's a little awkward in general -- everytime you exit a vehicle, for instance, whatever song or podcast/show that was playing when you did restarts when you re-enter it. As in, it begins all over again. So if you were midway through a podcast, for one, and get out the vehicle to hack an ETO off some board, you will have to listen to it all from the beginning. And then repeat, whenever you get out for something else.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Something I don't really understand is why people care so much whether the devs/publisher say that their game is political or not. In the end what matters is what is in the game

Because it comes across as cowardly, and bullshit because everything is fucking political. It is beyond absurd for the fucking TOM CLANCY people to say they don't make political games. The opening of Division 2 literally opening with some gun owner fear mongering "With no police to protect you, did YOU OWN A GUN? Did your NEIGBOR?" shit, and then saying 'no politics here!' is just... bullshit.

They'd be better off not commenting at all than saying dumb shit like they're "definitely not making any political statements." Which they literally said. About Tom Clancy's The Division 2.

Oct 25, 2017
I keep re-reading this, but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you mean if they assign a political lean to their game but fall short it looks worse than if they say it's apolitical but lean slightly left?

Basically, whenever Ubisoft says "their games are non political" it is usually marketing trying to sell the game with left wing values in it to people who lean towards the right.

Division 2 has logs basically mocking the entire "Trump's increase fear mongering of Mexicans and illegal immigrants" by saying America was trying to ask Mexico to aid citizens due to the virus outbreak but Mexico refused and then American's were being caught trying to cross the border and flee into Mexico to get away from the virus.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's a badass listen.

Like, I'm not *that* far in WD:L, but this game has some dope revolutionary attitude to it and feels relevant and, dare I say it, important. It *is* Ubisoft, but I mean, when you're instilling revolutionary ideology in the proletariat it's both hilarious and on-fucking-point to do so vis-a-vis the enemy's own products.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
That was some really nicely written text. Can't say I expected something like that from this game. Or any Ubisoft game for that matter.
"...It looked like poisoning the well so that no information could be trusted..."

*Giant glowing FOX sign appears.*
Yeah, that was some perfect timing lmao

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It reads as non-committal in its beliefs and its thesis.

And fuck, Far Cry 5 is the worst example of it. Basically every games podcast I listened to when that game came out basically said "this is not the game we were previewed and pitched on." They made a decidedly different stance in the behind-closed-doors demos, which made a bunch of people go "ooo this might read as too current!" which seemingly made Ubi back off on the more overt shit it initially was setting out to say.

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
This will always be the issue as long as you're tied to the kind of AAA games Ubisoft is making. There are clearly people on those teams that care very deeply and put in a lot of effort but it's always weighed down by other dumb ass decisions that will always happen in that environment. It was the same with Watchdogs 2 (which I think is a way better game than Legion overall). That game has some of my favorite writing in the more recent Ubisoft games but even that game suffers from tonal clashes and thematic confusion because, at the end of the day, it is still that kind of videogame. I'm also just gonna leave this here.

Watch Dogs 2 was such a good game.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
I love the talk radio channel so much. It sounds naturalistic, and there is some goid political, tech and philosophical chat on there. It really reminds me of being back in Blighty, and if they had DLC talk radio alone, I would get it. For me (and I maybe alone here), it really elevates the game. And its seriously interesting. Not the kind of extreme crazy you get in GTA talk channels.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
That huge FOX sign was sent from the god damn heavens! OOOOF.

Can't wait to play this game when my 3080 finally gets here... One day... Aaaany day now...

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Fuck Ubisoft at large but kudos to the devs that put this and other elements like it in. Extremely pertinent to where the UK is at at this point in time, for a wide range of minority groups. It's good to hear.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Maybe I eventually check out the PS5 version of this.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Really happy to see this & would've been a surefire way to make me buy the game, if it wouldn't be attached to a company that fostered an environment with rape, abuse & sexual harrassment for fucking years.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually impressed, I might check it out one day.

I was expecting it to be used purely as a setting and I was really not in the mood for that or 'just go around and change a few billboards and everything will be fine' which it seemed to be.

StarBot

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Shame that chuds are easily gonna dismiss all of this due to "W-well Ubisoft are sexual harassers, so lmao, the left are all secretly hypocrites" narrative that I sadly can't easily disprove