• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/28/20936410/uber-eats-food-delivery-drone-design

n48ElEJ.jpg

Uber is revving up to test its new drone delivery service for Uber Eats in San Diego in 2020. Today, the company unveiled a new look for its drone, which utilizes "innovative rotating wings with six rotors" to better enable the transition between vertical takeoff and forward flight.
The cargo capacity for the drone is a meal for two, Uber says, adding that the drone has already passed its "critical design review" and is expected to take flight before the end of the year. Earlier this year, the Federal Aviation Administration gave Uber the green light to begin testing drone delivery in San Diego.
The drone is designed to perform a maximum delivery leg in eight minutes including loading and unloading. It's cruising altitude will be below 400 feet in order to comply with existing drone rules. It will have a total flight range of 18 miles without a delivery, and 12 miles with one. And the drone can hover in wind speeds up to 30 mph.

ERA, would you order food from a delivery drone?

Last edited:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely would use it, why not? But they better have good customer service for when the food is spilled or something.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see this thing try to land in some Toronto neighborhoods. Like how does it allocate space. Surely you're not meant to pluck your food from the whirling dervish

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I'd use the service way more if I didn't have to deal w idiot drivers

I absolutely would use it, why not? But they better have good customer service for when the food is spilled or something.

Will the clients yell and abuse them if they're late ?

Do i need to tip the drone operator?

From the original article (OP should probably add this):

" Deliveries will not be made to customers' houses, says Bloomberg, but instead, will be sent to "designated safe landing zones" where Uber couriers will unload the package by hand and take it to the customer's doorstep. These landing zones might even include the roofs of parked Uber cars, which will be identified by the drones using QR codes. "

I'd try it, nothing saucy though.

Saucy is a different delivery app.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
As long as this drone doesn't make a second stop and show up late with cold food, I'm in.

Will it have a microphone so I can cuss-out the pilot/gps system if he hits some turbulence on the way?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The meal will probably be free
lol

nah but for real, I'm 10 years how many drones are gonna be flying over our heads? It's only a matter of time before one of these things kills someone. I always wondered about this when I think the future. Like when I watched the fifth element as a kid I always wondered how they deal with flying car accidents lol

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the original article (OP should probably add this):

" Deliveries will not be made to customers' houses, says Bloomberg, but instead, will be sent to "designated safe landing zones" where Uber couriers will unload the package by hand and take it to the customer's doorstep. These landing zones might even include the roofs of parked Uber cars, which will be identified by the drones using QR codes. "
wonder how long it takes before people find out how to hack these qr codes and steal food.

Oct 31, 2017
actually this is a good point

you might see the drone show up with your food leading an attack formation of birds

Yeah. Noone wants a phalanx of pissed of seagulls ripping a drone apart at their door.

It'll only take one to associate the drone with food and then it's all over.

Agreed. Those things are smart when it comes to finding food. They will track down and murder any drone once they learn to associate them with food.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
They long-term plan is eventually to deliver directly to people ordering the food and/or to drop-boxes of some sort that can be directly accessed by the person ordering the food. Cutting out the human delivery person is the end game.

I'm hoping when that happens that these drones have some sort of really good security features that makes it relatively easy to find and prosecute anyone who messes with them.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
OK so drone delivery is 100% pointless then