• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
Often times news such as this fly under the radar with our media.

Aljazeera said:
The Taliban commander, named as Mullah Nangyalay, was killed in Shindand district close to the border with Iran, Herat provincial governor's spokesman Jailani Farhad said on Thursday.

"According to the people, over 60 civilians were killed and wounded in the operation," Toryalai Tahiri, deputy head of Herat provincial council, told Afghan local media TOLO News.

This has to stop.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Brown people apparently don't count as equal value humans. I am surprised they are being designated as "innocent" and simply not being labelled, "militant combatants" by sheer virtue of proximity to the target.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
It's a real shame we don't have a list of the atrocities the Taliban commander committed to engage in whataboutism when people rightly point out this is a travesty. [/s]

Anyways, this is clearly unjustified.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
RIP to the lives lost. I hope the monsters responsible see justice one day.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Brown people apparently don't count as equal value humans. I am surprised they are being designated as "innocent" and simply not being labelled, "militant combatants" by sheer virtue of proximity to the target.
I could have sworn I've read stuff about the Bush admin doing this.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
Doesn't seem like many have actually read the article, and it reads like clickbait. This was a NATO strike, not a US one, and the only source for the supposed 60 casualties is, according to the article, "the people."

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Obama's admin did it, especially with the designation of casualties via drone strikes in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Yemen. Casualties were considered combatants if they were male and over the age of 16 (iirc). The designation would be on occasion be retracted posthumously after inspection.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like many have actually read the article, and it reads like clickbait. This was a NATO strike, not a US one, and the only source for the supposed 60 casualties is, according to the article, "the people."
"Toryalai Tahiri, deputy head of Herat provincial council, told Afghan local media TOLO News."

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
User Banned (2 weeks): inappropriate pedantry over multiple posts
It says us drone strike in the first paragraph

"Resolute Support, NATO's mission in Afghanistan, told AFP news agency it launched "a defensive air strike in support of Afghan forces", with a spokesman confirming US participation in the operation."

US participation isn't the same thing as the US deciding to launch a drone strike in Afghanistan. It sounds more like the ANA called in an airstrike and it was given to them.

OP
OP

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017

I mean it comes from the deputy head of the provincial council and eye witnesses, am afraid if you are waiting for U.S. confirmation that a drone strike led by them resulted in mass casualties, you'll be waiting for a very very long time.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Resolute Support, NATO's mission in Afghanistan, told AFP news agency it launched "a defensive air strike in support of Afghan forces", with a spokesman confirming US participation in the operation."

US participation isn't the same thing as the US deciding to launch a drone strike in Afghanistan. It sounds more like the ANA called in an airstrike and it was given to them.
The ANA calls airstrikes for local disputes all the time, it's just a gaggle of local grievances that they use US ordinance to settle.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
One terrorist killed along with sixty innocent civilians. Who authorises a strike like this?

Obama admin had classified any male over a certain age killed in a strike to be a lawful target. Then came the killing of US citizens.

Senior officials in the administration of President Barack Obama variously described drone strikes as "precise," "closely supervised," "effective," "indispensable," and even the "only game in town" – but what they emphasized most of all is that the drone strikes they authorized were lawful.

In this context, though, "lawful" had a specialized meaning. Except at the highest level of abstraction, the law of the drone campaign had not been enacted by Congress or published in the US Code. No federal agency had issued regulations relating to drone strikes, and no federal court had adjudicated their legality. Obama administration officials insisted that drone strikes were lawful, but the "law" they invoked was their own. It was written by executive branch lawyers behind closed doors, withheld from the public and even from Congress, and shielded from judicial review.

The scale of the drone campaign, and the human cost of it, made government secrecy even more disquieting. The United States was carrying out lethal strikes not only on actual battlefields, but in places far removed from them as well. The first strike President Obama authorized killed at least nine people in the tribal areas of Pakistan. An early strike in Yemen, albeit one carried out with cruise missiles rather than drones, killed two families, including as many as 21 children – and, according to the New York Times, "left behind a trail of cluster bombs that subsequently killed more innocents." By the end of President Obama's first term, American strikes had killed several thousand people in Pakistan, Yemen, and Somalia, including many hundreds of civilian bystanders. The deaths of innocents raised sharp moral questions, and the moral questions gave urgency to the legal ones.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

I agree. That's how I read it too.

ANA intel isn't exactly pristine. Separate question as to whether we should allow them to be our forward controllers.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
My guy.

Who do you think NATO is.

Resolute Support has personnel from many different countries, with the U.S., Germany, and the UK each having over a thousand members. You can read about it here: https://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/pdf_2019_12/20191202_2019-12-RSM-Placemat.pdf

Sorry for the strong language, but this take is yucky.

The ANA screws up constantly, and the article reads like this is another mistake on their part. The U.S. has done a great many terrible things around the world but I don't see any reason not to call out clickbait.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Obama's admin did it, especially with the designation of casualties via drone strikes in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Yemen. Casualties were considered combatants if they were male and over the age of 16 (iirc). The designation would be on occasion be retracted posthumously after inspection.
One terrorist killed along with sixty innocent civilians. Who authorises a strike like this?

Obama admin had classified any male over a certain age killed in a strike to be a lawful target. Then came the killing of US citizens.

Guess it started later than I remembered. And worse than I remembered.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
There are two important points with this.

First, it puts a very large thumb on the scale of any civilian casualty reports, as you correctly pointed out.

The second is that, while these so-called "combatants" aren't the targets of strikes -- that's the Taliban leaders on whom there is actionable intelligence -- if they're considered "combatants," then the jus in bello principle of proportionality is set aside. Normally, belligerents must take all feasible precautions to protect civilian life. See Protocol Additional I to the Geneva Conventions, art. 51(5)(b) ("an attack which may be expected to cause incidental loss of civilian life, injury to civilians, damage to civilian objects, or a combination thereof, which would be excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated"); art. 57(2)(a)(i).

Accordingly, the position that unknown men are combatants doesn't mean that the U.S. considers them the direct targets of attack. (There's no intelligence on random Afghans. There is intelligence on certain Afghans -- some of these people are bad guys.) It does, however, mean that Allied belligerents have assigned them a status that obviates the need to conduct any proportionality analysis whatsoever.

In other words, their lives literally don't matter.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
s7cs0ac.gif

Cor

Oct 25, 2017

Resolute Support is commanded by a US General and nearly half its personel are US troops.

Yes, the US decided to launch this. That youd try to dismiss it as clickbait is appaling.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Haven't they been developing drones without explosive payloads? Why don't they actually start using that shit? Then again the US voted against getting rid of cluster bombs in the Yemen war that can stay undetected for years until someone innocent walks over them and dies.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
There are two important points with this.

First, it puts a very large thumb on the scale of any civilian casualty reports, as you correctly pointed out.

The second is that, while these so-called "combatants" aren't the targets of strikes -- that's the Taliban leaders on whom there is actionable intelligence -- if they're considered "combatants," then the jus in bello principle of proportionality is set aside. Normally, belligerents must take all feasible precautions to protect civilian life. See Protocol Additional I to the Geneva Conventions, art. 51(5)(b) ("an attack which may be expected to cause incidental loss of civilian life, injury to civilians, damage to civilian objects, or a combination thereof, which would be excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated"); art. 57(2)(a)(i).

Accordingly, the position that unknown men are combatants doesn't mean that the U.S. considers them the direct targets of attack. (There's no intelligence on random Afghans. There is intelligence on certain Afghans -- some of these people are bad guys.) It does, however, mean that Allied belligerents have assigned them a status that obviates the need to conduct any proportionality analysis whatsoever.

In other words, their lives literally don't matter.

I really appreciate your taking the time to break down the vernacular of the Laws in question for a more comprehensive look at how dismissive of American warfare is of life abroad especially of non-white people. Thank you.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how anyone can pledge allegiance to the United States. Our government is one of the biggest forces of violence in the history of humanity.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
I doubt this thread lasts all that long, not due to mods, but just due to lack of interest. Happens all the time with these. I'm sick of his bipartisan effort to continue doing this crap. Call out everyone who takes part in this. That's the only way this will ever be taken seriously as a starting point.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they are probably hanging out with the 80 US soldiers that lost their lives in the Iranian rocket strikes.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
And the American government will continue to be perplexed as to why a new ISIS forms years down the line.