• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I know almost nothing about sports but from online cultural osmosis I know that the U.S. Womans Soccer team has been kicking asses for awhile. I didn't know we had a Men's team, I guess it makes sense we would.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That's a pretty convenient explanation for every loss to say you weren't serious. If you train badly, you play badly.
Okay then you ARE trying to make the case that teenage boys are better than the women's national team. As if the women's national team is gonna go all out against abunch of kids. Jesus Christ.

To use a just for fun scrimmage as ammo to push your obvious agenda is embarrassing and transparent.

Fool

Banned
May 2, 2018
Okay then you ARE trying to make the case that teenage boys are better than the women's national team. As if the women's national team is gonna go all out against abunch of kids. Jesus Christ.

To use a just for fun scrimmage as ammo to push your obvious agenda is embarrassing and transparent.
You really like putting words into people's mouths. Might wanna change that if you want to convince someone.

Fool

Banned
May 2, 2018
User banned (3 months): Rationalizations of sexism over multiple posts; account in junior phase
I won't convince you of anything. You have made plain what you believe when it comes to women's sports.
There you go again. When did I ever talk about women's sports in general? I was referring to the way things are in football.

And I stand by what I said earlier. The improvement and growth comes from the field and attending games. Let's keep politics out of sports.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
In a straight up 11v11 the mens team wins every time but that is besides the point because Man Utd are one of the highest paid teams in world football (3rd I believe) but there are so many teams paid less that are far superior to them. We are talking about International football, all pay should be equal. On the club side it comes down to market size where the men will pull ahead.

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
This is about the national team right?

I think that for both the men and the women they need to be paid based on what income they generate. So a percentage of that and that percentage has to be equal.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There you go again. When did I ever talk about women's sports in general? I was referring to the way things are in football.

And I stand by what I said earlier. The improvement and growth comes from the field and attending games. Let's keep politics out of sports.
You literally used a scrimmage against children as a way to diminish and dismiss the skill and importance of the women's national team. You are just trolling at this point.

Last edited:

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
how much do the men get paid?

i imagine the bigger stars are earning shit loads from their clubs and don't need the money.

Pulisic is taking ÂŁ145k a week at Chelsea

Oct 29, 2017
Of course the team that failed to qualify for the world cup should be paid more than the world cup winners, that's just common sense, people!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Thats not how it works. Which one has larger audience and brings more money?
When was the last time the US team was even in a world cup, outside the qualifying rounds anway? At this point, even accounting for the larger interest in male soccer teams, the women's team is probably bringing way more revenue, just on success alone.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
When was the last time the US team was even in a world cup, outside the qualifying rounds anway? At this point, even accounting for the larger interest in male soccer teams, the women's team is probably bringing way more revenue, just on success alone.
They just missed one World Cup lately lol.

I think the main problem with the offer that the federation gave to the women was that the prize pool for international matches for men is (sadly) way higher than the one for women football, so men were making more even if they performed worse than women.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

If politics were left out of sports, the men and women would be paid the same and this thread wouldn't exist.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure teenage boys would give any women team a run for their money. You're really understimating how strong and fast the men's game is compared to the women's game. In particular, players in a club academies are on their way to professionalism and are certainly not slacker considering the majority of soccer players are born in their teenage years. Messi and Ronaldo didn't become a household names in their mid twenties.

how much do the men get paid?

i imagine the bigger stars are earning shit loads from their clubs and don't need the money.

Pulisic is taking ÂŁ145k a week at Chelsea

The men don't get a salary and they're more like independent contractors only getting paid for appearances. Of course that's because their money comes from their clubs which is something the women completely lack hence why they bargained for a salary with the USSF.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure teenage boys would give any women team a run for their money. You're really understimating how strong and fast the men's game is compared to the women's game. In particular, players in a club academies are on their way to professionalism and are certainly not slacker considering the majority of soccer players are born in their teenage years. Messi and Ronaldo didn't become a household names in their mid twenties.
Were any world class generational players on that team? No? Oh it was just a scrimmage against kids? Okay.

A team of 15yr old boys are not able to beat the world champion women's national team. Stop trying to rationalize his ridiculous argument.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to agree with them when they have nothing to prove their worth. They can fuck off.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand why people are lining up to try dismiss and downplay the accomplishments of the women's national team.

I mean I know what's going on obviously, but I don't understand why people are lining up to do it.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whether or not the women's team would get beaten by teenagers in a serious game or their level of competition are irrelevant to the discussion, the only thing that matters is revenue. It wouldn't be a wild guess that within the US the women's side brings more revenue than the men, or at least the same.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Inside the US yes, but worldwide the story isnt like that. I wouldnt be surprised if Tim Howard is more well known worldwide than Rapinoe. Of course he isnt playing anymore for the US football team but it isnt as simple as you are making.
I literally know nothing about either of these people, but let's do a quick thought experiment.

Megan Rapinoe, which would seem like a very unique name.
image.png

Tim Howard, which seems like it should pull up many generic results as well since both first and last name combined are rather generic/common.

image.png

Again, I don't watch football/US soccer. The above is just a super quick check. But that result sure is interesting, isn't it?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The worst/funny thing is, that this is coming from a guy who plays at the US male national team (aka the guys sho are the free victory ticket for the rest of the world not located in central america) shitting on the us female mational team (aka the girls who are without a doubt the strongest team in the world who most of the time win with huge leads)

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if men are better at playing because the women's team doesn't compete against men but rather other women.

So if it's "easy" for one team to be good because they are playing in the women's division, then it's just as "easy" for the other team to be good.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
There is a potential case to argue waiving some aspects of equal pay for certain fields like sport or entertainment, where you can't necessarily measure skill, and demand/appeal/success is more intangible

so I guess that means the men's US team will get paid less than the women's team

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
lmao come on. These are not even hot takes when they're just plain wrong.

People like Landon Donovan and Tim Howard are more than just "soccer players". Someone saying that with a straight face must have been living under a rock for the past 20 years or *gasp* they don't actually follow the sport.

It's amazing and sad how American fans love to insult their players for some reason. If Christian Pulisic puts on a show in 2022 I'm 100% sure you'll never stop hearing his name for the rest of your life.
Guess what Donovan and Howard don't play for the men's team anymore. What have they done to be more than just players?

America likes to pretend that it's a meritocracy. The men haven't won shit ever. Most of us don't give a shit about soccer. Guess why I'm in a thread about it though? Cause the women ball out and stand for something.

Amazing and sad? Living under a rock? Why do we have to love soccer like the rest of the world? It's totally cool to like soccer. The majority of Americans don't and the rest of the world needs to be OK with that.

extremepabs

Oct 31, 2017
Women's football is just nowhere near the level of mens and only the US and one or two other countries care that it even exists. From an English point of view the best female international sides are well below championship level in the mens game.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Were any world class generational players on that team? No? Oh it was just a scrimmage against kids? Okay.

A team of 15yr old boys are not able to beat the world champion women's national team. Stop trying to rationalize his ridiculous argument.
Didn't Dallas' U15 side beat the USWNT?

It's irrelevant to the discussion as club and international football differ dramatically in terms of revenue. International should be equal pay no matter what.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know. It was a friendly. But it's still not a good look, regardless. You don't set out to lose in football. Bad mindset and whatnot.
If you are naive enough to believe that then I'm not gonna stop you. But I would suggest thinking a bit harder on the situation and the circumstances surrounding it.

In my opinion though if you believe a team of teenage boys can legitimately beat the best international women's team in the world then that says alot about your views when it comes to female athletes.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
I don't view it as naivety. It's no secret that women's teams would be rolled over by men's teams.

It's just the prevalence of the sport as a "male" game. I'm a big fan of women's football but I'm not going to put the blinkers on and pretend there isn't a large gap in skill or ability (be it physical or whatever) between the men and women's game.

As I've said previous. I do think it's irrelevant to the international scene as that's different. You're representing your country and it should be equal, the success of the USWNT certainly makes a case for them being underpaid, if anything. They're a credit to the sport.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Lol, don't try and paint this as some comment on women's ability in sport. That's ludicrous.
I'm not trying to paint anything. I'm just going off of what you have said. And if you think teenage boys can beat the best women's international team in the world then that to me is very disrespectful and condescending in my opinion. It also tells me you don't think very highly of their skill.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Women's National Team: World Champions and Gold Medal Champions

Men's National Team: Not even being capable to be total dominant in CONCACAF

Yes, that makes sense...

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of these comparisons are very strange.

The level of competition the US women's team had in their world cup is not very high at all. The women's game internationally is just not at the same level.

Men's level of world cup competition is drastically higher, and anyone who watched both recent world cups would know this. The comparison between the performance of both teams in their respective world cups is nonsense.

To me it seems the Women's team is more popular and well known, and I imagine they bring in more revenue as well - if this is the case they should be paid more.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell? I mean, if less people turn up to watch them play or only do so at a reduced ticket price, that seems a fair reason to pay them proportionally less. This could probably easily be corrected with more advertising budget though (because you know the mens team are getting more there...)

However if that isn't true, then they bring in the same amount of money, they absolutely should be paid the same proportion of sales

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are naive enough to believe that then I'm not gonna stop you. But I would suggest thinking a bit harder on the situation and the circumstances surrounding it.

In my opinion though if you believe a team of teenage boys can legitimately beat the best international women's team in the world then that says alot about your views when it comes to female athletes.
I'm guessing you've never played sports, but scrimmage or not, you always play to win.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
it should be based on their viewer ship draw and sponsorship value etc etc. essentially pay them according to how much they bring in for you.

and for the USA's case the women would make more than the men cause they actually win.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
they should be paid more because of the bullshit inequality that means they need to work harder to come close to mens sports. i'm so happy to see womens sports becoming more popular.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Those "powerhouses" are countries that love football and give their all to qualify. Women deserve equal payment but I am certainly not liking the atittude of some people here that if an US team doesn't dominate it means they are trash. No they aren't, it is the most popular sport in the world so of course it will be competitive
I don't mean they don't play seriously. It's just the idea that the USMNT faces stiff competition all of the time is just not true.
At the very least those "powerhouses" consists of professional players. The qualification for Olympics and WC on the women's side is a joke, with them never even having to travel outside the States. The men's team is never going to face the likes of a squad like Thailand that the women did in a WC. And yes, I am aware this is because of inadequate investment on the women's side of the game. But arguing with me when I assert that the competition on the women's side is much inferior is just stupid. It is a fact.

And those European teams you mentioned earlier and for the "She Believes" tournament are not that good, yet. Certainly not like the men's programs of those countries.

Increased investment in European women's club football is a recent phenomenon and they will get better with time. Especially because they are being subsidized by the men's teams.
England is one of the top teams in the world right now and Spain has gone strides in the past few years. Also, I don't get your last point. Is it supposed to be a bad thing that the women's teams are getting investment?
I don't know. It was a friendly. But it's still not a good look, regardless. You don't set out to lose in football. Bad mindset and whatnot.
A scrimmage, actually. What people don't get about these U-15 games is that they aren't about winning, and a lot of times the women's teams use it to test their own youngsters or new tactics. Men's teams play scrimmages against amateur squads and sometimes don't win either, but it doesn't make the news.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
A scrimmage, actually. What people don't get about these U-15 games is that they aren't about winning, and a lot of times the women's teams use it to test their own youngsters or new tactics. Men's teams play scrimmages against amateur squads and sometimes don't win either, but it doesn't make the news.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term "scrimmage" in football. Is it a showpiece sort of game? Like a charity match or testimonial?

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
don't mean they don't play seriously. It's just the idea that the USMNT faces stiff competition all of the time is just not true.
It is certainly stiffer than you give them credit. The US isnt Germany or Brazil, they shouldn't be expected to bulldoze teams, specially latinamerican teams that have strong football culture

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It is certainly stiffer than you give them credit. The US isnt Germany or Brazil, they shouldn't be expected to bulldoze teams, specially latinamerican teams that have strong football culture
To be fair to him, the CONCACAF federation (where US is located) is probably one of the weakest ones, with US and Mexico being the top teams on it (and Mexico tends to beat US most of the time). Still, the problem is that even for those WC qualifiers teh US male team probably makes as much money as the US women team winning the WC.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
They should be paid the same as the men when it comes to what the ussf offers so for example if the men make 500,000 a year and earn 10% of the tournament earnings.

That said it shouldnt be up to the ussf to make up the diff in the earnings. The men benefit from the fact the mens game is way more popular then the womans game world wide. Letting the men team earn more money from just showing up and getting there butts kicked