• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Romney might, as he's verbally had enough of the dumb shit. Not sure there is anyone else, though.

Romney already voted to impeach once. I don't think there is any question he will vote yes again after yesterday.

If this had happened a month ago and there were six weeks left in Trump's presidency I think there might be enough R support to push it over the edge. Now, though, I think most will use "well he has less than two weeks left so this is pointless" as cover to justify a No vote.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Romney already voted to impeach once. I don't think there is any question he will vote yes again after yesterday.

If this had happened a month ago and there were six weeks left in Trump's presidency I think there might be enough R support to push it over the edge. Now, though, I think most will use "well he has less than two weeks left so this is pointless" as cover to justify a No vote.

The only other thing I can think is that they get some old guard that are 100% safe to also vote yes, just to prevent him from ever running again. Cruz and Hawley and the like want his voters. They don't want him. So the old guard giving the keys to the kingdom to some people that are much more intelligent (lol, but really they're more dangerous) could be a play they make.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The only other thing I can think is that they get some old guard that are 100% safe to also vote yes, just to prevent him from ever running again. Cruz and Hawley and the like want his voters. They don't want him. So the old guard giving the keys to the kingdom to some people that are much more intelligent (lol, but really they're more dangerous) could be a play they make.

If nothing else I'm sure there are way more than 16 R Senators that would vote to impeach if it was an anonymous vote.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Good, no dragging it out to next week. Now we just need Trump to make a fool of himself on Twitter while getting himself banned and the vid is null and void.

Also GA just proved to Mitch that Trump is a liability who cost him the senate and needs to be removed otherwise that base will be used against them(or further undermine their own).

I think there's enough pissed off old guard to get it passed. Plus losing the majority means they are exposed on all future votes and this would be in their favor

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Will Trump go down in history as being the first (only?) US president to be impeached twice, and in a single term at that?

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
You guys are doing the math wrong. Ossof and Warnock won't be sworn in on time so they need 18 Rs. Most likely won't be enough defectors.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
You guys are doing the math wrong. Ossof and Warnock won't be sworn in on time so they need 18 Rs. Most likely won't be enough defectors.

I think 17. Perdue's term ended on the 5th or something, and no one is currently serving in that spot.

Even fewer if more than a few Repubs decide to abstain. That'd be my hope. It'd be symbolic.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Given all the grief Trump has thrown at Georgia Governor and SoS I do wonder if they would try to accelerate certification of the special election if it meant getting enough votes to remove Trump from office.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
House votes to impeach and McConnell will just slow-walk it through the Senate. There's no timeline on the trial to remove or when they have to vote so I doubt they get to a point where they vote on it and just run out the clock until the 20th.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Trump will not be removed, but again, that's not the point of impeachment. Trump's actions and the inaction of the GOP need to be put on record.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
House votes to impeach and McConnell will just slow-walk it through the Senate. There's no timeline on the trial to remove or when they have to vote so I doubt they get to a point where they vote on it and just run out the clock until the 20th.

If that's the worst case scenario, the House has nothing to lose politically.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
House votes to impeach and McConnell will just slow-walk it through the Senate.
I think that's how this will play out, too. The one silver lining is that it leaves open the possibility of the Senate voting to convict if Trump does anything that suggests he's going to interfere with the inauguration. I'd much rather see the fucker removed early, though.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Ilhan says tomorrow but Ted says Monday. Lol please just choose a date, it's confusing me.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
They need to do it very quickly. Trump's stupid video is just the start of their attempts to distance from it and provide cover. The more established that gets, the less likely the GOP can feel pressured to do anything.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017

probably been posted, but stuff like this make it clear that there was at the very least a plan to maximize the chaos. We can't let republicans get away with handwaving this away.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So... all the democrats. I'd love to see him impeached but do we really think we could get 60+ senate votes or whatever the exact number is? Republicans don't want to piss off their voter base.
Mitch is pissed and knows Trumps followers aren't currently their base. They're the party of law and order. He also has to bring it up for vote as it's the only reason they are convening

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
The (lack of) speed at which urgent matters can occur is pathetic. Wasting time on an ultimatum that was never going to happen, then taking a three day weekend to start the impeachment process? If we were facing competent traitors we would be fucked.

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
The (lack of) speed at which urgent matters can occur is pathetic. Wasting time on an ultimatum that was never going to happen, then taking a three day weekend to start the impeachment process? If we were facing competent traitors we would be fucked.

Things are at least moving fast by Congress standards I guess.

I think that's why they preferred the 25th, though, as that would likely have been much more expedient.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Half their base is already screaming at them for being traitors.
Yeah, they've already seen what the nut jobs are capable of, why would they help dems in this? They don't really get anything out of it. Other than the hope they take their party back over the next 2-4 years.

Mitch is pissed and knows Trumps followers aren't currently their base. They're the party of law and order. He also has to bring it up for vote as it's the only reason they are convening
Party of law and order only when it suits them. Over 70 million loonies voted for this guy, putting targets on your back impeaching him does you no favors. Or you agree to start the procedure and let dems take the fall for it to try and get back in the MAGA graces.

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Some right-wing MAGA grifters (Mike C the sex offender) are getting attacked for saying Donald conceded.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

that's exactly where I am at. Nancy said every day that he is president is a risk...lol so let's wait til Monday!

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Some right-wing MAGA grifters (Mike C the sex offender) are getting attacked for saying Donald conceded.

This shit is why I really don't see how this ends until it gets a lot worse, and any measures to mitigate it will simply be filtered through this craziness.

The entire ecosystem of the growing right wing media is incentivized to appease and appeal to this ever increasing radicalized consumer.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So... all the democrats. I'd love to see him impeached but do we really think we could get 60+ senate votes or whatever the exact number is? Republicans don't want to piss off their voter base.

Their voter base tried to kidnap and/or murder them yesterday. I think they might already be pissed off.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't removal the only way we stop him from running again? We already impeached him once in the house.

Correct on all counts here. But he can be impeached without the support of the Senate, and he'd still have the black mark of being the only president that was impeached twice, as a single-term president no less, on his legacy. It's not a silver lining, it's not a consolation prize. It stinks. He should be removed and barred from public office. (And thrown in jail.) But that's what can happen with one chamber's backing but not the other.