• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't Trump just refuse the 25th? I thought that was used in the case of if the president is in a coma or something.

IANAL, but the general idea is that Pence invokes the 25th and Trump says no you and then Congress has 21 days to either override (never happening) or confirm Trump is still President. Meaning the House could just sit on it until the 20th at which point it becomes moot. This would also theoretically prevent any further pardons.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I'd rather Congress handle this than resort to an act that could create unprecedented political consequences, but Trump needs to go and the 25th was enacted for a reason. I say do it.

As always, Republicans will quickly look at the split polling numbers from their ever radicalizing base and go into self-interest damage control. Meaning they will avoid it completely or begin blame-shifting/downplaying like the last impeachment.

Id say the only way this works is the 25th amendment, whereby Republicans get to of course play the game they love to play with Trump, which is as bad faith ally that will gladly advance his extremism to ingratiate themselves with the extremists in order to stay in their graces and hold onto power, but with more and more resignations it's just going to mean fewer and fewer non-sycophants and loyalists to carry such an action out.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Pence convincing Trump to resign so that Pence can pardon him a la Nixon and Ford seems to becoming more likely.
Trump literally asked for Pence's head on a platter yesterday. Pence has political aspirations he has no desire to tank. And after all he's done the pardon would get challenged this time

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017

Lindsey Graham holding a 1:30 p.m. press conference.

Definitely feels like something's up.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't Trump just refuse the 25th? I thought that was used in the case of if the president is in a coma or something.
The 25th Amendment, proposed by Congress and ratified by the states in the aftermath of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, provides the procedures for replacing the president or vice president in the event of death, removal, resignation, or incapacitation. The Watergate scandal of the 1970s saw the application of these procedures, first when Gerald Ford replaced Spiro Agnew as vice president, then when he replaced Richard Nixon as president, and then when Nelson Rockefeller filled the resulting vacancy to become the vice president.

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.
www.law.cornell.edu

25th Amendment

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
McConnell's still majority leader for a few weeks yet. Schumer can't set anything in concrete and a deadline missed with no response just encourages worse behavior.
Also, impeachment doesn't mean he can't run again in the future. They'd have to vote for that after impeaching him.
I think it's likely. Senate Republicans suck but they were directly affected by this latest stunt. Most of them except for skidmarks like Cruz and Hawley want him gone ASAP

Oct 26, 2017
Pence convincing Trump to resign so that Pence can pardon him a la Nixon and Ford seems to becoming more likely.
They ain't that friendly. Trump apparently constantly belittled Pence throughout his time in office, and as of yesterday Pence is furious with Trump. The party is beginning to turn against them because now they've let the political equivalent of Frankenstein's monster loose, and many pundits/politicians are beginning to look to Pence for leadership. They're ready to buck him if it comes to that.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
For once America, do the right fucking thing. Trump needs to be made an example of.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Good. This needs to be done. Trump can not remain in office.

Schumer's definitely found some gumption the last year or two. I think dude finally snapped a bit. And I'm okay with it.

A huge part of Schumer's issues were that he was in the minority and had to careful to not imperil Senate chances. Now that we've won the Senate we'll see a stronger Schumer.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
For those curious about how the 25th plays out

So Pence could invoke the 25th amendment... Trump disagrees... 6 days later congress convenes for upwards of 21 days. And that's the end because Trump has 13 days left.

If Pence invokes the 25th amendment, Trumps presidency is effectively over.

Oct 26, 2017
As always, Republicans will quickly look at the split polling numbers from their ever radicalizing base and go into self-interest damage control. Meaning they will avoid it completely or begin blame-shifting/downplaying like the last impeachment.

Id say the only way this works is the 25th amendment, whereby Republicans get to of course play the game they love to play with Trump, which is as bad faith ally that will gladly advance his extremism to ingratiate themselves with the extremists in order to stay in their graces and hold onto power, but with more and more resignations it's just going to mean fewer and fewer non-sycophants and loyalists to carry such an action out.
Yeah, I wouldn't expect the Senate to remove him. The 25th is the best route for early removal, which is why I begrudgingly support it. Though we should focus on ensuring a transition of power exists and nothing like yesterday is encouraged to happen again either way. Trump will be out in two weeks regardless.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The 25th Amendment, proposed by Congress and ratified by the states in the aftermath of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, provides the procedures for replacing the president or vice president in the event of death, removal, resignation, or incapacitation. The Watergate scandal of the 1970s saw the application of these procedures, first when Gerald Ford replaced Spiro Agnew as vice president, then when he replaced Richard Nixon as president, and then when Nelson Rockefeller filled the resulting vacancy to become the vice president.

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.
www.law.cornell.edu

25th Amendment

Thanks. That flowchart a few posts down covers it pretty well too.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Takes time, and it's Pelosi's to announce not his

25th would strip him of acting power and pardoning power(the latter being huge). Impeachment can lead to removal and disqualification which means he can never run for federal office again

My biggest hesitation with either route is Pence deciding to immediately pardon Trump for all Federal crimes once he has been removed.

On the other hand, it has to be done for public safety at this point, and being the first president removed by impeachment (or to simply be impeached twice by the House) would actually set precedent and force Senators to go on record.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
IANAL, but the general idea is that Pence invokes the 25th and Trump says no you and then Congress has 21 days to either override (never happening) or confirm Trump is still President. Meaning the House could just sit on it until the 20th at which point it becomes moot. This would also theoretically prevent any further pardons.

Once Trump theoretically responds saying he is fit for office and his cabinet/Pence write a second letter disputing that fact Trump loses access to all Presidential power. The 21 days still remain for the House to make a decision but Trump does lose his powers during that time.

Just adding some clarification.

Oct 25, 2017
pence and trump may not be on good terms but pence also has absolute zero backbone and will do whatever seems like the best play for his team, he's a slimy professional politician only there to play the game and clearly has no trouble demeaning himself considering he spent the last 4 years babysitting, it's not like trump's behavior is a surprise to him, he knew exactly what he was signing up for and he did it with a smile, he's a spineless servant of republican interests
I wouldnt trust him for a second to do the right thing here or to even stand up for himself
the only reason he finalized the votes yesterday is because he literally had no power or choice over the matter and knows it
i will be shocked if he shows any spine regarding trump, dont count on it

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If this doesn't happen, the US keeps the door way too wide open to future — both near and far — incursions on truth and democracy.

I fear that Republicans will allow it, as they have openly and continually done in behavior and policy up until now. They probably want it gone but things just moved too alarmingly quick, whereas the Republicans have made an effort to slowly erode it so they can slowly normalize it, too.

I'd love to be wrong. The US has been so wrong in particularly the last 4 years that loving to be wrong is kind of my whole schtick now.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People saying "it won't happen" are missing the point.
You push for consequences to this shit. It would be an absolute dereliction of duty for congressional officials to turn a blind eye to what occurred yesterday and the President and Republicans' roles in it. Passivity is an invitation for escalation.

So punish this shit, and when Republicans block it, have them own the acts.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Seeing as Pence went against (I think?) Trumps wishes on election results, I feel like the fucker might actually do it.
Went against his wishes because he had no fucking choice. Remember that. If he did have the ability to do something he probably would have

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
At this point removing him would be beneficial to the GOP, wouldn't it? They can do a hard break because his removal would ensure he cannot legally run again in the future, right? He couldn't hold the entire party hostage for the next 4 years.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What's the point if there are only a few days left?

Just trying to understand what is it to gain from this
It's a fair question, but I think there's three main reasons:

- Short term: stop him from causing more damage with the days he has left.

- Long term: stop him from running for office ever again in the future. Like the first point, it's unlikely to work, but if it did, it would at least have this benefit.

- Longer term (and this one is key: accountability. It shows that as president and elected official, you can't do this shit free of consequences. Even if no conviction follows the impeachment, that will be entirely on the GOP for being spineless, but you gotta keep due process going.

Lindsey Graham holding a 1:30 p.m. press conference.

Definitely feels like something's up.

...Huh. Wasn't expecting that. Interesting...

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point if there are only a few days left?

Just trying to understand what is it to gain from this
Its of course political to some, but some people are genuinely worried about the safety of the country and its people. Mike Pence was basically acting president yesterday. Trump over the last few weeks has checked out completely and only shown up to incite violence. It may be a short span of time but some sort of leadership is needed.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Impeaching him in let's say 1-2 months once the Senate majority has changed would mean he would not be able to hold future office right? seems a good way to ensure a better 2024.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
With their being 13 days before Biden's inauguration, how quick can this be done? Can it still proceed after Trump is out of office, to permit he never is able to run again?
If the majority of congress were on board it could be done in a few days. Unfortunately the house republicans are 80% Trump diehards

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Pence isn't going to do it, he's weak.

Pence has become meat to the MAGAts. Some were specifically were looking for him when they raided congress yesterday, as they know Trump sees him as a traitor.

Pence will be normalized by the libs as a hero by doing just one simple thing. He already knows Trump has divided him and has banned some of his staff from the White House. The man holding that place is dangerous, and if Pence doesn't even see that -- and traditional Republicans clearly do now - they're bending over for the fascist wing of the party.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
FakeWanLeafhopper-size_restricted.gif