• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
The world's chocolate companies depend on cocoa produced in West Africa with more than 1 million child laborers, according to a new report sponsored by the Labor Department.

The findings represent a remarkable failure by chocolate companies to fulfill their long-standing promise to eradicate the practice from their cocoa supply chains.

Under pressure from Congress in 2001, some of the world's largest chocolate companies — including Nestle, Hershey and Mars — pledged to eradicate "the worst forms of child labor" from their sources in West Africa, the world's most important supply. Since then, however, the firms have missed deadlines to eliminate child labor in 2005, 2008 and 2010.

Each time, they have promised to do better, but the new report indicates that the incidence of child labor in West African cocoa production has risen.

It is unclear whether the United States will continue to monitor whether the companies ever succeed in eliminating child labor, as they had promised. The so-called Harkin Engel protocol, which is the formal name for the chocolate company promise, negotiated by Rep. Eliot L. Engel (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), will expire next yea

Sep 11, 2020
I'm happy that I don't like Chocolate, at the very least. I'll note down Nestle as one of the companies I'll try to avoid as much as possible from now on, however, in case there is other stuff from them I buy.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I love how the companies only stated eliminating 'the worst forms of child labor' so that they were free to keep open child labor that wasn't quite as bad.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy that I don't like Chocolate, at the very least. I'll note down Nestle as one of the companies I'll try to avoid as much as possible from now on, however, in case there is other stuff from them I buy.

Plenty of reasons to avoid Nestle already. They're pretty evil.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When people say companies are evil, I sometimes think they are exaggerating a little.

Nestle is Evil.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I don't really like or eat much chocolate. I can cut all of it out. Fucking scum corporations.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Nestle is truly one of the worst companies out there. And I wasn't even aware of their issues with chocolate.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Sucks. I love chocolate, but I stopped buying the cheap stuff years ago. You can buy fair trade chocolate at many stores these days for a couple bucks extra. Usually tastes better too.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Yep. It's been reported on many times. Some ethical chocolate farms have tried to eliminate child labor through increased wages, but that means their chocolate is more expensive. Thus buyers will get their supply from other, cheaper farms. Ideally, we'd treat chocolate like an expensive luxury. We need to realize the real cost of chocolate.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
We can all buy local produce, at least in the countries were available, I do and while a bit more expensive the chocolate taste ten times better.

A person I used to work with who was with the red cross in Africa said the sad reality of those children is that nobody invest in them, so some were not even fed before working on those slave practices. We have to advocate to end child labor, but also at the same time provide education and food. One without the other is doomed from start.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
You're telling me that the man who wanted to own all the water is also using child labour? God, I wish something would be done to entities like this that exploit the most vulnerable for their personal gain.

Sep 11, 2020

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was watching a video on how it works

The process seems to be
1. find/buy abandoned kids
2. train them to spray pesticides
3. train them to clear plants
4. train them to cut the cocoa
5. after 5-10 years they pay off their startup debt to their owners they can finally get paid . . . . in cocoa beans

The way the big chocolate makers get around the child labor restrictions
1. deny deny deny
2. armed gangs patrol the roads where the cocoa trucks pass to prevent any investigations
3. third parties buy the child labor cocoa and sell them to Nestle or Starbucks or whoever
4. all the government agencies are corrupt as fuck

It doesn't matter which company you buy from they are almost all buying child labor beans except for the smallest artisan choclatiers

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I visited Grenada and heard a similar story. Glad I don't eat chocolate but that doesn't make this any better.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
fuck. poor children. this shit is unacceptable.

Not just the children. In some areas that child labor might be the only money the family makes. In other areas the child has to work for free for some time before being able to move up to even getting paid. There's a lot that needs fixing.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of ethically sourced chocolates out there. It costs a lot more but it tastes better than what these big companies sell.

Just do a little research and you won't have to give it up.
Yep, Tony's Chocolonely is the GOAT of not horrifically expensive fair trade chocolate.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
(Almost) Everything mass produced is made in a fucked up way. Almost every single product you consume has pain and suffering in it. From water to socks. Its the mark of capitalism.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Saw a documentary on this a few years ago and it is sickening. The solution companies like nestle came up with was to just put in more middle men so that they can can claim that they "don't buy from companies exploiting child labor". Since they just have other companies do it for them.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I love how the companies only stated eliminating 'the worst forms of child labor' so that they were free to keep open child labor that wasn't quite as bad.
Yeah, I caught that wording. "Oh, we fixed the worst bits... these kids are treated much better than before, by comparison."

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the warning. I think I remember they also received some backslash a few years ago from the palm oil, right? I've never had a sweet tooth, so I never really payed much attention to them.
Just so you're aware, it is incredibly hard to avoid Nestle. That have their hands in so many brands and products, and I guarantee you have a bunch of Nestle stuff in your home right now.

Not saying it's not worth trying, of course, but don't feel too bad when you inadvertently pick up some of their products later on.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just so you're aware, it is incredibly hard to avoid Nestle. That have their hands in so many brands and products, and I guarantee you have a bunch of Nestle stuff in your home right now.

Not saying it's not worth trying, of course, but don't feel too bad when you inadvertently pick up some of their products later on.
It becomes a whole lot easier the healthier you eat.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the warning. I think I remember they also received some backslash a few years ago from the palm oil, right? I've never had a sweet tooth, so I never really payed much attention to them.
I was thinking of how they have been hoarding water. I hope you don't like water.

Sep 11, 2020

Oh, don't worry about it. The world is just how it is, so I won't feel that much guilt if something sleeps under my radar. But it's still worth it to do a conscious effort IMO.

I was thinking of how they have been hoarding water. I hope you don't like water.

I don't like bottled water, does that count?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Nestle isn't a terrible chocolate company, they're just a terrible company with terrible people.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I remember reading about nestle years ago and was taken aback by how evil this company was.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, don't worry about it. The world is just how it is, so I won't feel that much guilt if something sleeps under my radar. But it's still worth it to do a conscious effort IMO.

I don't like bottled water, does that count?
Helps but ultimately you can't avoid their influence.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Yep. It's been reported on many times. Some ethical chocolate farms have tried to eliminate child labor through increased wages, but that means their chocolate is more expensive. Thus buyers will get their supply from other, cheaper farms. Ideally, we'd treat chocolate like an expensive luxury. We need to realize the real cost of chocolate.

That's the problem to almost every industry in which big companies rely on cheap labor from 3rd world country. I'm doing my best to buy local products as much as I can but my effort will never be enough to convince other to pay more for the same product. There is no obvious solution for this.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Yep, Tony's Chocolonely is the GOAT of not horrifically expensive fair trade chocolate.

I literally just had a conversation with my wife yesterday about this: Tony's Chocolonely actively includes anti-slavery messaging as part of their advertising strategy, and we were genuinely wondering how much chocolate slavery must be happening for a brand to make calling it out part of their core values.

Then I see this thread.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Another aspect of how evil Nestle is, is related to their control of fresh water around the world. They are disgusting.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone interested, Chocolonely is a great brand that has been set up specifically to eliminate child labour within the chocolate market. It's increasingly widely available in the UK - give it a go!

Edit: I'm glad to know I've been beaten in bringing this up!

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just straight up a One Piece arc.

That's how insanely ghoulish this shit is.