• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Possible pilot of a UBI here in the U.S. finally???

U.S House Rep. Tulsi Gabbard has introduced H.R 897 that actually proposed giving all American adults a UBI of $1,000 per month during the COVID-19 pandemic:

thehill.com

Tulsi Gabbard calls for giving Americans $1K a month during coronavirus outbreak

Democratic presidential candidate Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) called for introducing a universal basic income (UBI) of $1,000 a month until coronavirus “no longer presents a public health e…

Democratic presidential candidate Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) called for introducing a universal basic income (UBI) of $1,000 a month until coronavirus "no longer presents a public health emergency."

"Most Americans don't have that safety emergency bank account even for a short term, what to speak of if you're talking about weeks, or in this case people are looking at potentially months," Gabbard said in an interview on Hill.TV.

Her proposal, H.R. 897, would give a UBI of $1,000 per month to all adult Americans "until COVID-19 no longer presents a public health emergency."

The idea of a UBI of $1,000 a month was made popular by former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang, who made the program a centerpiece of his campaign.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Needs to happen. Families shouldnt have to decide between working and leaving their kids at home unattended to or taking care of their kids and losing their jobs.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
And there's her first volley for her 3rd party run. Pass it if there are no poison pills. It'll get shot down in the Senate, though.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
No chance, but it's nice that someone woke her up. Maybe she'll try campaigning.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The GOP just struck down sick leave and you think they are going to pass a UBI bill? Lmfao.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I have a better chance of hitting the lottery, then getting struck by lightning and then spontaneously combusting during a snowstorm than this passing.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Tulsi is a con artist, so I would firstly view this with suspicion. Let a better congressperson write the bill.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a good idea as a short-term measure to relieve the financial pressure on people and/or boost consumer spending but obviously it won't pass. There are probably enough moderate/conservative Dems in Nancy's caucus that it wouldn't even make it out of the House.

Oct 28, 2017
A last ditch attempt to get herself some publicity before the debate on Sunday. It won't pass. It's a messaging bill.

That said it would make life a lot easier for folks.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It'll pass as part of the GOP/Russian plot to raise her profile so she can successfully sabotage the Dems with her 3rd party run.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She's clearly positioning this to fail in order to drum up support for an inevitable independent run later this year

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something like this happening eventually to get over the hump months isn't out of the realm of possibility

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
A for effort, but it won't happen. I would love to be proven wrong though.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thread on what kind of stimulus program we're going to need here. This is not normal recession situation, this is a worldwide productivity AND demand shock. The fundamentals were pretty ok before that, however. We need to be paying out the ass to get the economy through the necessary slowdown we need to take in order to deal with the virus, so that we can much more easily get back to normal after this is over.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see it. Cause I sure do fucking need it. But man add me to that mountain grain of salt of this ever happening.