• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Posted by Slash

U.S. president-elect Joe Biden has indicated plans to cancel the Keystone XL pipeline permit via executive action on his first day in office, sources confirmed to CBC News on Sunday.

A purported briefing note from the Biden transition team mentioning the plan was widely circulated over the weekend after being shared by the incoming president's team with U.S. stakeholders.

The words "Rescind Keystone XL pipeline permit" appear on a list of executive actions supposedly scheduled for Day 1 of Biden's presidency.

The list shown to stakeholders is a lengthier version of a list already reported in the media based on a memo released publicly over the weekend by Biden's chief of staff Ronald Klain. That publicly reported memo from Klain did not mention Keystone XL, but cautioned that the memo was not a complete list of planned actions.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
No doom and gloom here. We're too busy supporting progressive policies.

Don't be shy [Biden], put some more.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Wednesday and Thursday there is going to be a deluge of great news coming from the Biden office and I can't wait. Everything I'm hear about these first day EOs is great.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly have no idea what our actual strategy in Canada is w/r/t pipelines. It's this political third rail which goes off no matter what option the government chooses. Having Biden make our choice for us is probably seen as a blessing in Ottawa.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dipshit in Alberta:

Jason Kenney @jkenney

I am deeply concerned by reports that the incoming administration of President-elect Joe Biden may repeal the Presidential permit for the Keystone XL border crossing next week. My full statement:

igRnLn5.png

7:06 PM · Jan 17, 2021

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure I fully understand or appreciate the pros and cons of the Keystone XL pipeline, but it does seem to me that right-wingers were all for it for whatever reason.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot, was Canada involved in this as well or was that something else?

Domino Theory

Ripple Effect Studios
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
I remember the opposite of this being one of the first executive actions Trump took in January 2017. Poetic.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Dipshit in Alberta:

Jason Kenney @jkenney

I am deeply concerned by reports that the incoming administration of President-elect Joe Biden may repeal the Presidential permit for the Keystone XL border crossing next week. My full statement:

igRnLn5.png

7:06 PM · Jan 17, 2021

The next provincial election is too fucking far away, this absolute fucking moron butchered the covid response and was well on his way to ruining everything else here

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
April 2020:
thetyee.ca

Jason Kenney’s Bad Bet on a Risky Pipeline Project | The Tyee

Taxpayers take on $7.5-billion risk as analysts warn of ‘energy market Armageddon.’
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney justified committing $7.5 billion in government funding to get the Keystone XL pipeline built by saying it was "a solid bet" that could revive the province's battered economy.

But with the price of oil crashing below $5 per barrel, oil insiders predicting "energy market Armageddon," and a U.S. election that could result in a new administration blocking the pipeline and moving to zero-carbon energy alternatives, some experts see it as financially risky to the extreme.

"It's not a bet I would want to make, let me put it that way," Andrew Grant, head of oil, gas and mining for the influential U.K.-based think tank Carbon Tracker, told The Tyee. "The temptation is there of course to try to keep the music playing, but the world is changing clearly."

calgaryherald.com

Varcoe: Alberta places $7B bet on Keystone XL

You can’t say Jason Kenney is afraid of placing big, bold bets on the energy front.
"It is a solid bet that will produce a handsome return for Albertans and it will rescue the future of our energy industry," Kenney told reporters Tuesday.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I probably should know more about this than I do.

This was set in motion by Stephen Harper in the first place, I think? But then Trudeau didn't really do much to stop it either, and part of our economic problems are in how Harper caused us to fixate on Alberta's oil.

Do I have that right?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But BiDen iS a nEoLibErAl aNd the SaMe as TruMP

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I fully understand or appreciate the pros and cons of the Keystone XL pipeline, but it does seem to me that right-wingers were all for it for whatever reason.
The cons were project running through First Nation and U.S. Native American land, severe risk to fagile ecosystems, and development of tar sands which is pretty bad enviromentally.

The pros were mostly cited as less reliance on ME oil, decreased fuel prices, and creation of thousands of jobs.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Pros: billionaires and the Canadian government are happy
Cons: more irreparable climate damage, chance of oil spills, massive environmental damage, destroying the planet faster, pollution, etc.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Alberta getting owned relentlessly.

Major investment firms moving away from oil should've been the wake up call but they're still huffing that shit.I feel for their people who tried to force the government and electorate there to look at the writing on the wall. Trudeau tried to play both sides as well but Almost had to, that's what happens when you're the center party. Huge waste of resources with AB especially in this regard, unable to wean themselves off this particular teat.

Also going to break my arm patting myself on the back since I said months ago Biden Admin will be buckets of good shit. Please continue to read them diamonds and weep. Was easy to see because a) he'll get out of the way for the new school to drive the bus and b) he can Trojan horse in so much better policy bc he's an older Caucasian person so racists will accept him more easily.

The real key to making more good strides is legislation. SCotUS can't do much about clear, legally implemented legislation. To make such legislation, we need to keep showing up and winning elections. The end.

Last edited:

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keystone XL seems more like a symbolic issue than anything else. Its construction isn't going to provide all these awesome high-paying jobs conservatives like to tout, nor would its existence lead to the planet self-immolating any faster than it's already going to (although it certainly doesn't help matters).

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Seems kinda pointless. The oil is going to be drilled and consumed regardless of how it's transported. I guess it does reduce the chances of a burst pipe in the US though.