• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Trump ordering the assassination of a high ranking official being an act of war, then threatening Iran with any retaliation being met with with disproportional response, then Iran actually doing a strike and being on edge all led to this.

Trumps stupidity created the whole scenario and Iran was incredibly irresponsible in not shutting down civilian airspace but this is what happens when you speak the way that the parties involved have been. Words matter, Trump put everyone on edge and I'm sure Iran was expecting a hard and fast strike after their attack on the bases, thus putting soldiers on edge and a simple miscalculation resulted in this.

When people are unpredictable or unclear in foreign diplomacy, people die, always.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those rare examples where yes both sides are at fault and there are no "good people" here

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Treaty is Amity is not a peace treaty but rather a treaty of friendship that also contains provisions for resolution of disputes through the International Court of Justice. It also was signed two decades prior to the Revolution and only still exists because both the US and Iran have used the Article of the treaty where both agree to the jurisdiction of the ICJ while ignoring the part about friendly relations.

No? The military conflict long predated Trump.

Ah so you are hung up on the word "peace". That doesn't change the fact that both our actions and their actions would have been in direct violation and liable for punishment in the International Court of Justice. That is no longer the case. The military conflict long predated Trump but when was the last time we directly attacked them or vice versa? Things were going in a positive direction. Please don't insult our intelligence by pretending what has transpired this past week has been par for the course the past few decades. Assassinating a top government official of a sovereign country is not normal. All this is moot because you really have to be willfully ignorant to pretend Trump doesn't share some blame for ratcheting up tensions.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
There was a thread a while back about a homeless person who stole a wallet, and then got punched so hard he died (or something like that), and the thread was filled with people blaming the victim who's wallet was stolen and thew the punch.

I'd love to cross compare that with people in this thread who suggest this is the USA's fault and not Iran's.

/end my thoughts that are barely worth the two cents

Soooo the victim isn't the guy who was beaten to death? There's a lot of off-base posts in this thread, but this post is very near the tippy top.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Last month there was that attack on the US embassy and the rocket that killed a US civilian contractor and injured 4 other US service members that might have also escalated things.

The proper response would be to deescalate things. You know...so 176 innocent people don't die.

But hey, lets act like there's only one party involved in all this.... 🤷‍♂️

They're all to blame. It's 100% on Iran for shooting this plane down. The current administration also helped push the situation to where it was.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iran should pay reparations and apologize to the family of the victims and ukrain, but i'm certain it will be used to justify violence against iran and war discourse.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why was that camera focusing on that plane in the first place before it was hit?
This has been said a million times already in this thread, but Iran had already shot at the Iraqi bases, and lots of people in Iran might have been expecting retaliation. In a world where we're all super connected to information and everyone has a smartphone, it's not odd for people to be filming the sky after hearing of outgoing missiles/potentially incoming retaliatory fire.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
My current takeaway is Iran is actually completely incompetent. Can't hit a single one of their actual targets, accidentally kills hundreds of innocents. Hard to imagine it isn't an accident caused by increased provocations. Their military is a bunch of incompetent fuck ups. People been talking them up too long, they're actually bottom tier apparently.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
My current takeaway is Iran is actually completely incompetent. Can't hit a single one of their actual targets, accidentally kills hundreds of innocents. Hard to imagine it isn't an accident caused by increased provocations. Their military is a bunch of incompetent fuck ups. People been talking them up too long, they're actually bottom tier apparently.
I don't know about all of those conclusions, but this should highlight just how quickly and seemingly easily a mistake can be made and just how much those mistakes can cost.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
The proper response would be to deescalate things. You know...so 176 innocent people don't die.

But hey, lets act like there's only one party involved in all this.... 🤷‍♂️

They're all to blame. It's 100% on Iran for shooting this plane down. The current administration also helped push the situation to where it was.
No argument here. Definitely agree both parties led to escalation, that was my point, both countries/administrations contributed to the current tensions in Iran.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think their attack on the bases was designed to be sufficient to show that they won't be bullied but not so strong to prompt a response. I don't think it's a sign of incompetence although shooting down the airliner is. Russia and the US have both made the same mistake so it's probably best not to have civilian flights in the air when the military is on edge.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Iran actually hit the Iraqi bases pretty accurately, and by all accounts hit the areas where no one was. Also remember that attack on the Saudi oil facility a few months ago? Those were pretty precise strikes.

This however was a major fuck up. The airspace should have been closed and someone fucked up hard. Absolutely pathetic. That's what happens when all you care about is retribution.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the SA-15 primarily counters smaller targets like cruise missiles, drones and the like. Fighter planes are actually very lightly armored if at all so it doesn't take much fragmentation to bring them down. A civilian airliner has a lot of redundant systems and protection measures like self sealing fuel tanks that would make it unlikely to be destroyed in place but very likely to lose control/be consumed by an onboard fire. It wouldn't cause instantaneous in-flight separation like a lot of people are arguing. The effect is essentially like a really large hand grenade going off next to the fuselage. Depending on the angle of attack, it may have killed the pilots outright like MH17.

So those poor fucking pilots literally tried to land the plane again after being peppered with shrapnel? Thats fucking heartbreaking. Damn.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Iran should pay reparations and apologize to the family of the victims and ukrain, but i'm certain it will be used to justify violence against iran and war discourse.

From some of the more recent reports I've seen, Iran is cooperating fully with Ukraine over this incident.

Now yes, the appropriate thing to do would be for Ukraine to issue a formal apology and pay out those families for the loss of their loved ones. Further those responsible for ordering the strike should likewise face justice, though I myself am not knowledgable enough to say that this is something that would fall under the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yes, the SA-15 primarily counters smaller targets like cruise missiles, drones and the like. Fighter planes are actually very lightly armored if at all so it doesn't take much fragmentation to bring them down. A civilian airliner has a lot of redundant systems and protection measures like self sealing fuel tanks that would make it unlikely to be destroyed in place but very likely to lose control/be consumed by an onboard fire. It wouldn't cause instantaneous in-flight separation like a lot of people are arguing. The effect is essentially like a really large hand grenade going off next to the fuselage. Depending on the angle of attack, it may have killed the pilots outright like MH17.
If reports are correct that the plane flew for several minutes as it tried to turn back to land are true, the pilots were well enough to try to land that bird. Just ran out of time with the fires.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were deliberately aiming for minimal casualties w/ the Iraq stuff, it was designed to allow them to de-escalate while saving face.

Deleted member 57578

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
It a simple matter of their ambitions/actions greatly outstripping and damaging their economy. Combine that with sweeping sanctions... I mean, people don't protest in the streets (as they were in November) in a place like Iran unless things are really bad.

Iran has the per capita GDP of Jamaica. They're worse off than Iraq even:
GDP per captia rankings

Oct 27, 2017
Trump orders killing of Iran dude
Iran is pissed, shoots at shit
Random People take a plane
Plane gets shot down

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
You believe they are skilled enough to do this while on the same day accidentally shooting a commercial plane out of the sky? I don't know.

They absolutely are skilled enough to minimize casualties in a deliberate attack while also having a friendly fire incident.

All the latter would take is a faulty friend or foe transponder and a nervous operator...

Friendly fire is a reality of the fog of war. Its such a shame trump's unnecessary provocation culminated in this.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
if it was the same number of military all hell would break loose but if it's an oops civilians seems people aren't as enraged bc it was an "accident"

I just don't understand firing that many projectiles and hitting a plane being anything other than pure evil.

you fired missiles. They kill things.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Stop shooting things. Stop building weapons, humans. Just stooooooppppppppp

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
So where was this video these past few days? Did it conveniently showed up when US said they have evidence of the plane being shot down?

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
With all respect, if any american(s) was/were in that plane, are expecting to hear from Trump?

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand firing that many projectiles and hitting a plane being anything other than pure evil.

you fired missiles. They kill things.
if they misidentified the plane as an incoming missile or enemy aircraft they were trying to save lives by shooting it down. folks have a problem grappling with the concept of "accident". it's a tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.