• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
This absolving Iran of its own responsibility is stupid. Full stop. Trump could have threatened to nuke Iran and it wouldn't have mattered. You're a country with military intelligence on high alert, not some child wandering down the street who got spooked by a stranger.

Absolutely. Iran deserves absolutely no benefit of the doubt whatsoever.

Evil government that's increasingly been warmongering in the region. Why the hell is the first thought of people here to jump to "nope not me I'm not trusting US officials".

Trump is clearly a dangerous idiot, but bloody hell Iran (-ian government) deserves every bit of shit it's gonna hopefully get.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has this been posted yet? Looks a lot like a SAM strike, if it's from the incident as suggested.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely. Iran deserves absolutely no benefit of the doubt whatsoever.

Evil government that's increasingly been warmongering in the region. Why the hell is the first thought of people here to jump to "nope not me I'm not trusting US officials".

Bloody hell.
Do you want America to regime change Iran?
Because if not, why are we talking about them like that?

America never tried to have peace with Iran, I don't think it's impossible, and I think it's worth a try.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
In this case I believe they are telling the truth the plane was shot down. Saw another video where you could see a lit missile like object contact the plane. Then when you see how they lost total communication etc it had to be that. Absolutely awful all around. While Iran has a lot of the blame the trump admin helped exacerbate this issue for this to happen and both can be true. Iran is to blame and the butterfly effect of the trump admin exacerbating issues in the Middle East helped to make this happen.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Do you want America to regime change Iran?
Because if not, why are we talking about them like that?

America never tried to have peace with Iran, I don't think it's impossible, and I think it's worth a try.

It's as impossible as peace between Palestine and Israel.

Iran wants to spread its tentacles throughout the region. It's been doing so for decades, more brazenly so in the last few years.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The missile barrage was a direct result of Trumps actions, but this incident is an indirect consequence at best. Iran isn't some scared kid waiting for a burglar to show up. Having your professional military personnel shoot down a slow moving civilian airliner at an airport is a colossal fuckup if true.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Has this been posted yet? Looks a lot like a SAM strike, if it's from the incident as suggested.

This doesn't look credible to me. Looks like target practice or the interception of a rocket/artillery, based on what I'm familiar with. Other videos showed the plane falling to the ground as an extremely bright ball of flame.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, we didn't. We had a deal where the US would withdraw some sanctions and in return the Iranians would stop seeking a nuclear weapon. The whole proxy war business with Iran funding and supplying Shia terrorists against American allies was specifically something that was cut out of the nuclear deal because the Obama administration prioritized nuclear nonproliferation over the much harder (and probably impossible) task of solving the Sunni-Shia conflict.

You're mixing up the JCPOA with the Treaty of Amity

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Iran wants to spread its tentacles throughout the region. It's been doing so for decades, more brazenly so in the last few years.
I don't think it's true, and I don't know how you can be so sure since the US never ever tried it.
I also think it's really not true that Israel is destined to just fuck the Palestinians forever, I grew up in Israel and I think peace is very possible, the US just need to stop enabling Israel's shitty ass right wing governments.

I also think if we don't want the US to go to war with Iran then maybe we shouldn't talk about it in terms like "spread its tentacles". If you think the US should go to a war with Iran to regime change it, you should probably say it so we can talk about it.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We just posting videos from random twitter accounts? Has anyone credible confirmed this video?
Nope, just going around PPRuNe, but it lines up with reports from U.S. intelligence that heat signals commensurate with a SAM strike were detected. Telegram is also huge in Iran and how a lot of grassroots media and information dissemination happens, so makes sense that's where it'd be getting shared.
This doesn't look credible to me. Looks like target practice or the interception of a rocket/artillery, based on what I'm familiar with. Other videos showed the plane falling to the ground as an extremely bright ball of flame.

I would guess that the aircraft didn't burst into flames immediately. The other videos of the aircraft on fire just before impact are fairly low to the ground. From the point of loss of ADS-B data to crash site is 2-3 minutes of flight time. This video only shows 15 or so seconds post alleged intercept.

Also, look at the following coordinates: 35.489244, 50.907144

Camera angle about north-northwest from there.
So if that jet was a US fighter then it would have been shot down. Guess Iran wasn't playing
U.S. fighter jets have much more sophisticated anti-SAM defenses when compared to a commercial airliner, so no, it's not clear it would've been shot down (but seems Iran would've tried, and who can blame them).

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
That doesn't matter. You're missing my point. In a history of conflict, pointing to one part of the chain of events to assign blame is ridiculous....especially when you can point to something more direct (I.E. Iran's incompetence). We went to war because we wanted to (and made up reasons to do so), not because of anything specific Iraq did.

So in this analogy, the wife (Soleimani) is an innocent, unrelated party?

She could be the WORST person in the world; racist, sexist etc. But there's a decisive difference between animosity between us and actual direct action. One im just giving em the middle finger when I mow my lawn, the other im waiting for him to punch me in the face when I see her husband.

The missile barrage was a direct result of Trumps actions, but this incident is an indirect consequence at best. Iran isn't some scared kid waiting for a burglar to show up. Having your professional military personnel shoot down a slow moving civilian airliner at an airport is a colossal fuckup if true.

A fuckup that the US, with the greatest military in the world has personally done before killing hundreds of innocents. Shit happens, things don't work 100 percent of the time, and human error. Iran is gonna have alot of explaining to do but to pretend tragedies like this are outliers are false; its just we view airplane crashes as an abhorrent accident because it could happen to any of us but your business as usual friendly fire and innocent targets getting bombed we kinda shrug at when we are at war and people with weapons are on edge

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
People not believing this is disturbed. Some people in the other thread were theorizing about the different types of engine failure. It happened during a bombardment mind you, what a bizarre coincidence that would have been.
On top of the pictures of Russian anti air missle casings laying in the crash site from people on the ground. (Weapon system Iran obtained from Russia).
Which is also corroborated in the reporting.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Well the bright ball of flame is short before impact. While its flying that's not the plane lights, thats the fire started by the attack in the Twitter video. If the video is genuine

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Reading this about the Ukrainian flight it makes this terrifying to know how easy it is to shoot down passenger planes if Iran was using one of these systems.

The training required to properly operate the system can take weeks or months, which may explain why the Malaysia plane was destroyed in the first place. The problem with the SA-11 is that it's difficult to properly identify and track targets, but easy to fire missiles. "The skill comes in knowing what you want to shoot at," says Cordes. That's because the SA-11's radar system shows the same "blip" for all different targets. The operator sees an aircraft's altitude, air speed, and vector, but not it's size or type, says Anthony Cordesman of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. Airliners broadcast a four-digit transponder known as an IFF code that identifies them as civilian aircraft, and the SA-11 system is capable of picking up that information. But the training that goes into properly identifying aircraft takes months, especially since the window for acquiring and firing on targets is just a few minutes.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
The US is so good at getting into wars.

And the US has tentacles all over the globe.

I don't think there's any good guys here.

There's no need to both sides this.

US does f***ed up shit and should absolutely get criticised for it.

Same with Iran. There's no point bringing up the US tentacles when Iran is almost solely to blame here.

I don't think it's true, and I don't know how you can be so sure since the US never ever tried it.
I also think it's really not true that Israel is destined to just fuck the Palestinians forever, I grew up in Israel and I think peace is very possible, the US just need to stop enabling Israel's shitty ass right wing governments.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Israel will for the foreseeable future continue to openly as well as insidiously encroach upon Palestine to take it over entirely, in a similar way to what Iran would like to do eventually.

Change doesn't just come from the government. It comes mostly from the people, and in both Israel and Iran there is great support from the people for expansionist policies.

I know it's popular to say "I blame the government, not the people" in threads like this, but I think that's just absolving "the people" of their responsibility in the government's crimes. This all obviously applies to the US as well before anyone tries what-abouting again.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Also, to throw fuel on the fire...there's an argument to be made that its in the US's best interest to sell this as an Iran fuckup because of how important Boeing is (by definition to big to fail) and they absolutely cannot afford another scandal.

Even if it ends up being shitty upkeep/conditions on the Iran side

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

You do realise that the Sunni v Shiite conflict has been ongoing for 1400 years right? Forget spreading tentacles in one region, the fucking Saudis have been spreading their filth all across the muslim world, and it's been Saudi influenced Sunni terrorists that have murdered thousands in the west. America are actual friends with those pieces of shit. Why would you think that Iran wouldn't attempt counter the existential threat to Shiites that Sunni despots pose?

Only one group here continuously performs acts of terror in the west, and the US is allied to their motherland. The Iranian regime is a despicable government, that exists in a sea of equally despicable governments. It ain't fucking Shiite groups blowing up concerts and running people over in vans in the west though is it? How come the US isn't targeting Saudi royals and other rich Saudi citizens that are terror financiers?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
There's no need to both sides this.

US does f***ed up shit and should absolutely get criticised for it.

Same with Iran. There's no point bringing up the US tentacles when Iran is almost solely to blame here.

What? This is the perfect time to both sides this. They're both to blame. These fuckers keep escalating and keep flexing and it's fucking dumb.

Neither one gives a shit about their people when they keep putting them at risk over their bullshit war games.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Israel will for the foreseeable future continue to openly as well as insidiously encroach upon Palestine to take it over entirely, in a similar way to what Iran would like to do eventually.
You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I am not gonna agree with what I think is a really off view of the country I grew up in.
Sorry.

Change doesn't just come from the government. It comes mostly from the people, and in both Israel and Iran there is great support from the people for expansionist policies.

I know it's popular to say "I blame the government, not the people" in threads like this, but I think that's just absolving "the people" of their responsibility in the government's crimes. This all obviously applies to the US as well before anyone tries what-abouting again.
You are still not telling me what you want to do, but if we're planning on sanctions and bombs, I think we need to really stop pretending that we're doing it for the poor Iranian people, because they're not helped by that and they don't want that.

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
The circumstances of the crash seemed to support that it was shot down. Iran on high alert, pretty easy to believe one trigger happy idiot fucked up.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Also, to throw fuel on the fire...there's an argument to be made that its in the US's best interest to sell this as an Iran fuckup because of how important Boeing is (by definition to big to fail) and they absolutely cannot afford another scandal.

Not reasonable or plausible, given the track record of the plane and the details of the incident, regardless of a missile strike or not.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Presumably he had deliberate plans to attack Americans in the middle east which is why he was offed. Its not like they picked the guy for no reason
He was the general of the Quds Forces, and probably has dozens of operations going at any moment.
Sure, long term his demise might have some effect, if they can't find a competent replacement, but that's hardly given. Guy wasn't exactly the youngest, and I assume his second in commend knows the MO of the Quds Forces (Iran's CIA, simply speaking) well enough so that nothing will change about Iran's day-to-day operations on that matter.

So no, I don't see any argument that Suleimani's death has an immediate short term benefit for the US, or security in the region. And this kind of escalation, without a clear benefit, some plan, whatever, is really insane. Don't get me wrong, I don't give a shit that a murderous POS is dead, I'm worried that this kind of madness will continue. The Middle East is a powder keg, and no place for an idiot like Trump to play with fire

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
You're mixing up the JCPOA with the Treaty of Amity
The Treaty is Amity is not a peace treaty but rather a treaty of friendship that also contains provisions for resolution of disputes through the International Court of Justice. It also was signed two decades prior to the Revolution and only still exists because both the US and Iran have used the Article of the treaty where both agree to the jurisdiction of the ICJ while ignoring the part about friendly relations.

It's Trump's fault there was a military conflict in the first place, and that there was retaliation.
No? The military conflict long predated Trump.

Oct 27, 2017
Trudeau just said multiple sources say Iran shot it down, including Canadian intelligence, so it's not just coming from the US.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
A missile strike has always been the most likely cause by a enormous margin. There was no chance it was an engine failure. Not with how the airplane lost total control and fell apart in mid air.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
And those who said this at first were mocked and called conspiracy theorists. Some people honestly thought it was a coincidence. Come on y'all... Really? That would be one helluva coincidence... Please.
In plane crash threads everyone becomes an expert on planes and has decades of experience investigating crashes as well as the ability to piece together a plane engine with their eyes closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.