• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This feels almost like a self fulfilling prophecy now

Ladies and gentlemen, please give a warm round of applause to moral panic. Moral panic, everybody. Yeah.

I'm still going regardless. It's ridiculous how a potentially phenomenal film will be impacted due to small-dick incels and their disgusting behavior.

Unless I missed something (likely), it seems to be more about imaginary small-dick incels and their imaginary behaviour, at least in the context of this film. Nothing has happened, has it?

Oct 29, 2017
US military finally acknowledges and warns against these fucking twats and people are all upset because it implicates their favourite drawing villain.

I have read parts of the script and have watched all the leaked clips and whilst I'm looking forward to seeing the film personally, as a piece of art it can be rightfully criticised and I agree to an extent that for certain people the film could easily glorify Joker.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
I hate how people were being so fucking smug and dismissive about the real concerns people were having surrounding this film. FBI has been monitoring this shit and I wonder what kind of fucked up chatter they've come across.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean dude you're the one who said people were killed because of joker. And then you tell me about Bret Hart who did wasn't killed and even then the violence against Bret Hart wasn't caused by joker it was caused by a crazy man that's crazy. so when you find someone dying because of a joker then you come get me all right I'll be the first person to tell you're right but until then sit down brother.

Slow down and please take the time to read the posts you are responding to before going off. Bret Hart example fell under 'Joker related violence' as I included as a part of my criteria and you yourself quoted.

It's also additionally troubling to see you downplay these actions as just that of a 'crazy' when icons and iconography have been shown to mobilize and result in real world violence. Yes the person that attacked Bret Hart is clearly mentally ill, the question is what environmental triggers and conditional enable or worsen maladaptive behaviour.

Refusing to see the connection between the Joker and sentiment to commit violence when the FBI themselves noted a direct link is a full on yikes from me dawg. It, by proxy, deliginizes the root cause of the problem by downplaying the expressions of those problems.

And your example of when you'd be wrong is nonsensical. So they wouldn't be just a 'crazy' if they were in full on joker makeup and killing people? How exactly does that work?

And I should have mentioned, he was tweeting his Batman shit on his way to the event where he attacked Bret Hart.

And again the FBI is monitoring and issued the brief to the military based on observing a direct link between the upcoming film and intent to commit violence.

Last edited:

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I hate how people were being so fucking smug and dismissive about the real concerns people were having surrounding this film. FBI has been monitoring this shit and I wonder what kind of fucked up chatter they've come across.
"This website resetera keeps talking about attacks and Joker, we should monitor them" fbi probably

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie. I will see this movie after a month in theaters when the hype does down. I dont trust crazy incels and nutjobs.

Oct 27, 2017
If someone is inspired to commit violence because of a movie, that person already has deep issues that can not be attributed to such film. There are plenty of other people that consume the same media that don't commit mass violence. The problem lies with the ideologies that are prevalent within American society. Art only reflects our reality. It doesn't form it.

Nov 30, 2017
Crazy how intel's have inflicted more fear to stop going to the theatre than jihadists inflicted after the 911 attack. But Muslims are the real enemy

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
This wouldn't even be a conversation if there wasn't so much damn violence these past few years... yet here we are. I would like to think that the FBI would send out a statement advising the American public not to go IF they found anything credible to possible attacks (given the severity of what's happened over the course of the past few months), instead they issue a warning to military personnel just in case there is a possibility of an attack. This is so overblown at this point, some people made an obversation that Joker is an incel origin story... and now that narrative is fucking everywhere. Am I concerned that the joker will inspire other people? While it's possible, I'm not really concerned, I'm more concerned about the previous mass shootings inspiring other people, that's a real tangible fucking concern.

Nov 13, 2017
Being totally serious here: I have second-hand PTSD from the aurora incident and sometimes I get really unreasonably nervous at theaters.

I went to see Ad Astra the other day and this guy next to me was acting so odd. He had a backpack on his lap and his hand inside it the entire time. I could barely focus on the film because my mind and heart were racing.

All this stuff about Joker is starting to scare me. I have 7pm Dolby tickets for that Thursday.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

The connection was clear as day from the very first teaser. I have no idea how people don't see the obvious appeal/emulation potential from the demographic in question. It's super obvious and while I'd like to think that people will see the movie and come back like "Okay yeah, that was basically a 2019 mass shooter incident as the origin story of the Joker," I know better than to expect any of the "Don't touch my art it's sacred and meaningful but also art has no impact on reality" hypocrites to admit they were wrong.

Oct 26, 2017
Being totally serious here: I have second-hand PTSD from the aurora incident and sometimes I get really unreasonably nervous at theaters.

I went to see Ad Astra the other day and this guy next to me was acting so odd. He had a backpack on his lap and his hand inside it the entire time. I could barely focus on the film because my mind and heart were racing.

All this stuff about Joker is starting to scare me. I have 7pm Dolby tickets for that Thursday.
I thought backpacks were banned in theaters?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Art only reflects our reality. It doesn't form it.
I think this is the wrong way to look at it. Art both reflects and informs society in a cyclical nature. Society informs the views and preconceived notions of artistic creators, some of whom may then be inspired or compelled to break those notions, and thus new trends, philosophies, and status quos form. Our society and the conversations therein recycle themselves. Art is not simply a mirror of society; it is also a way in which our actions and moral barometers can be influenced and changed throughout.

I mean, think about it. Would it be possible for children without any significant grasp of politics to slip into alt-right cycles via YouTube, Reddit, and Twitter without our media consumption habits having any effect whatsoever?

ced

Oct 27, 2017

Was there a hole in the backpack?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Please everyone stay safe out there if you go and see this movie. Nowodays you just never know when someone will decide to snap and vent out their frustrations on society :/

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I thought backpacks were banned in theaters?
Depends where you are. I'm near the border between PA and MD and the closest theaters to me (two Regal theaters, 1 in PA and 1 in MD) check briefly before you enter if you have a backpack, and they don't check purses

Cinemark theaters ban bags, and I'm not sure if there's any policy beyond discretion at AMC, haven't been to one in a long time

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If someone is inspired to commit violence because of a movie, that person already has deep issues that can not be attributed to such film. There are plenty of other people that consume the same media that don't commit mass violence. The problem lies with the ideologies that are prevalent within American society. Art only reflects our reality. It doesn't form it.

Your last sentence is really wrong. Art does shape our culture too.

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is the wrong way to look at it. Art both reflects and informs society in a cyclical nature. Society informs the views and preconceived notions of artistic creators, some of whom may then be inspired or compelled to break those notions, and thus new trends, philosophies, and status quos form. Our society and the conversations therein recycle themselves. Art is not simply a mirror of society; it is also a way in which our actions and moral barometers can be influenced and changed throughout.
I think we're talking about different things. What I'm saying is art can't exist on its own. Someone or something has to create it or shape it. Therefore, art is always going to be a mirror of who and what we are at any given time. I just think we have different definitions of what it means to influence something compared to actually forming it.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The US military just killed 30 civilians in Afghanistan, but tell me more about how concerned they are that this super hero movie has a compelling villain for once.