• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
The number of Americans filing first-time applications for unemployment benefits surged last week, confirming a weakening in labour market conditions as a worsening COVID-19 pandemic disrupts operations at restaurants and other businesses.

Initial claims for state unemployment benefits totalled a seasonally adjusted 965,000 for the week ended Jan. 9, compared to 784,000 in the prior week, the U.S. Labour Department said on Thursday. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast 795,000 applications in the latest week.

It's the highest number since late August. Applications declined over the summer but have been stuck above 700,000 since September.

Claims were also likely lifted by re-applications for benefits following the government's renewal of a $300 US unemployment supplement until March 14 as part of nearly $900 billion in additional relief approved at the end of December.

Government-funded programs for the self-employed, gig workers and others who do not qualify for the state unemployment programs as well as those who have exhausted their benefits were also extended.

Authorities in many states have banned indoor dining to slow the spread of the coronavirus. The economy shed jobs in December for the first time in eight months.

The Federal Reserve's Beige Book report of anecdotal information on business activity collected from contacts nationwide in early January showed on Wednesday that "contacts in the leisure and hospitality sectors reported renewed employment cuts due to stricter containment measures."

The central bank also noted that the resurgence in the coronavirus was causing staff shortages in the manufacturing, construction and transportation sectors.

Most infections of any country

The virus has infected more than 22.5 million people in the United States and killed over 376,188, the most of any country. More than 4,300 deaths were reported Tuesday, a record high.

Though jobless claims have dropped from a record 6.867 million in March, they remain above their 665,000 peak during the 2007-09 Great Recession. Economists say it could take several years for the labour market to recover from the pandemic.

5.3 million Americans receiving jobless benefits

In addition to last week's first-time applications for unemployment aid, the government said Thursday that 5.3 million Americans are continuing to receive state jobless benefits, up from 5.1 million in the previous week. It suggests that fewer people who are out of work are finding jobs.

About 11.6 million people received jobless aid from two federal programs in the week that ended Dec. 26, the latest period for which data is available. One of those programs provides extended benefits to people who have exhausted their state aid. The other supplies benefits to self-employed and contract workers.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Get ready for that Fox News graphic...

Obama employment when entering office
Trump employment when entering office
Biden employment when entering office

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, expected when a party of the federal government and president decided to spend 2 months arguing about the fact they lost an election and trying to stage a coup rather than actually doing what was needed to help people.

And of course right in time for January 21st when it will be an instant switch to blaming the democrats and ignoring the fact that once again they have to come in and fix a broken as fuck economy and job market as best they can after the GOP ran it into the fucking ground. All in the next 2 years before people act like they suddenly forgot how bad the GOP is and somehow put them back in power of one part of Congress and stop everything being better for everyone again.

This cycle is such bullshit.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I remember that pretty unanimous University of Chicago survey that basically warned of exactly this.

You either go hard and get the virus under control or you are going to have a longer recessions and slower recovery. This was the case in previous pandemics and it appears to hold true now.

You can't cheat the pandemic, you can't completely gaslight consumers. Either take care of the pandemic and get your recovery on a strong upward track with smart fiscal policy, or continue this nonsense

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We knew this was going to happen because the Trump Administration was inept, and we know when Biden steps into office it will immediately be his fault even though he wasn't the one calling the shots.

This is what Republicans do every time they get in office. They run us into a recession then blame the incoming president for all of its issues and campaign on that to get back in office and do it all over again.

What needs to change is that the Democratic Party needs to push back against this bullshit.

I really hope Biden already has an iron-clad plan for the pandemic. The faster it can be rolled out, the faster they can control the narrative before the Republicans cause too much damage.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It won't matter. Right now Republicans and conservatives have already made up their minds for 2024.

Hopefully Democrats and liberals stand pat as well, and continue to outnumber conservatives with their votes.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
User Banned (1 Week): Insensitive Commentary, Thread Derail
Ya'll got phones and laptops, ya'll got options to make income besides waiting for limited time handouts.

And while that seems harsh, it's one reality of the situation. These are first time choices, probably derived from fear and being the first time many experienced loss of work where the greater field might be impacted longterm, but choices nonetheless. I know. I went from sitting on my ass bitching to hustling tom collins and telling pants shitting anecdotes to drunkards. Just gotta be willing to get creative, put in the work and commit to change.

Or sit and whine about how life isn't fair. That might work for some. 🤷‍♀️

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MEANWHILE......

www.theguardian.com

New Zealand jobs market bounces back close to pre-pandemic levels

Country’s biggest job advertising website reports 19% growth in jobs, after remarkable economic recovery in December

Ya'll got phones and laptops, ya'll got options to make income besides waiting for limited time handouts.

And while that seems harsh, it's one reality of the situation. These are first time choices, probably derived from fear and being the first time many experienced loss of work where the greater field might be impacted longterm, but choices nonetheless. I know. I went from sitting on my ass bitching to hustling tom collins and telling pants shitting anecdotes to drunkards. Just gotta be willing to get creative, put in the work and commit to change.

survivorship_bias.png

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Hopefully, along with the $2000 stimulus, they boost UI back up to $600 and extend it further. This is going to be the case for at least the next 6 months.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I've been wondering if stonks will finally get caught up in trickling up rental and mortgage defaults. They just might stonks their way out of this with the vaccine and Biden admin incoming.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017

BOOTSTRAPS

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Some people aren't capable of doing that or have tried and were met with failure. Not everybody wants to hustle and grind, either.

I do agree that there are people who sit around and complain but don't try to do anything to make their lives better, and I hate that mentality because I'm the type of person who is always grinding. At the same time, we don't know where some people are coming from or what sort of life they have lived. Maybe they have struggled and hustled and finally hit their stride then the pandemic hit and they lost everything again. Maybe they are clinically depressed or disabled or have no savings to use to invest in even a small operation or have too many things on their plate like taking care of their children since they can't go to school.

Every circumstance is different, my dude.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
I didn't want to wear shoes at all. Never had to. Now I do, I guess.

I was a true American for almost 30 years. 🏳️‍🌈

And I'm sorry if I came across blanketing. Obviously not everything works for everyone. We're adults, it's not sci fi anime mumbo jumbo. I'm just throwing my experience out to back my harsh views. That's all. It might work for others. Might. No reservations about being some all knowing cunt. Believe me, I am not. Like I said, shit anecdotes ):

edit: I will add. "Wanting" has nothing to do with surviving. Wanting to not work as hard as hustling is fine, but perhaps unrealistic when the entire world is suffering a pandemic. Maybe those people who are so unwilling to do something else should think about that before saying "I don't want to...". Jesus Christ. That's entitlement. Our world isn't affording many of us that entitlement. Don't force it.

Last edited:

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017

Yes this is the correct response to a recession brought on by a pandemic...

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The December unemployment numbers in Canada were brutal too. Additional lockdowns were the last straw. A lot of companies were hanging on hoping it would end soon, but the pandemic only got worse. It's just not economically possible for a lot of small businesses to survive with months and months of lockdowns and restrictions.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Yes this is the correct response to a recession brought on by a pandemic...

No more one sided and pragmatic than jumping to the other side of the fence and saying "I will... I will not be willing to...". Disregarding a global pandemic in favor of a personal pandemic.

Ya'll need to read in context before tossing your quips in the hat. Read my posts in this thread verbatim. FFS

I said you have options. Everyone does, circumstantially different. That's not going away because era loves semantics and playing righteous hero 24/7. This is reality and it sucks. For everyone. Doesn't make my method or the adverse the only correct response.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City

This isn't a sustainable response for everyone. Hustle culture is deflection people bring up to prevent large necessary change in the social safety net. Close to a million people filling for unemployment each week is disastrous. Those gigs have healthcare? Long-term prospects? Stability?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No more one sided and pragmatic than jumping to the other side of the fence and saying "I will... I will not be willing to...". Disregarding a global pandemic in favor of a personal pandemic.

Ya'll need to read in context before tossing your quips in the hat. Read my posts in this thread verbatim. FFS

I said you have options. Everyone does, circumstantially different. That's not going away because era loves semantics and playing righteous hero 24/7. This is reality and it sucks. For everyone.
Unemployment is the correct option for many folks

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Unemployment is the correct option for many folks

yes, it is. it's also is a finite resource that does not last forever. lots of folks don't have that basic understanding. that's unfortunate.

Exo, no. I have to buy into my own insurance being that I'm now self employed. That's a trade off for not being homeless, in debt or reliant on gov money that may never come (as it hasn't yet in my case). It's not great. It's necessary due to the world state and my own personal agenda.y main point is, I want it - that security - I had to change my approach to get it last year. Never said that I know the one way to success like some people here seem to read. That's their hang up. Let em be miserable in defense of a nothing anecdote that happened to work for one rando.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just posted this in another thread, but I'm hopeful.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
We knew this was going to happen because the Trump Administration was inept, and we know when Biden steps into office it will immediately be his fault even though he wasn't the one calling the shots.

This is what Republicans do every time they get in office. They run us into a recession then blame the incoming president for all of its issues and campaign on that to get back in office and do it all over again.

What needs to change is that the Democratic Party needs to push back against this bullshit.

I really hope Biden already has an iron-clad plan for the pandemic. The faster it can be rolled out, the faster they can control the narrative before the Republicans cause too much damage.

Exactly right. I'd even go so far as to have the Dems publicly equate GOP lies as more conspiracy theory garbage so you run their bad faith canards through the conspiracy theory shit stain filter.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
The governemt has the ability to print as much money for unemployment as it likes. Wtf is this take.

At the cost of devaluing the dollar.

WTF do you think printing money does to our dollar? (any currency) It's not a constant.. You print another billion USD and our global dollar value drops. Look at inflation historically. Look at the removal of our 10k bill from circulation. Look at more recent examples of governments creating money out of thin air and what it does to markets. even when talking about paper monies, scarcity plays a factor. Having limited tangible money gives it a lot of its value beyond face. This is true for literally anything exchanged.

That exact mentality and misunderstanding is why so many think unemployment is forever and has no ceiling.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes, it is. it's also is a finite resource that does not last forever. lots of folks don't have that basic understanding. that's unfortunate.

Exo, no. I have to buy into my own insurance being that I'm now self employed. That's a trade off for not being homeless, in debt or reliant on gov money that may never come (as it hasn't yet in my case). It's not great. It's necessary due to the world state and my own personal agenda.y main point is, I want it - that security - I had to change my approach to get it last year. Never said that I know the one way to success like some people here seem to read. That's their hang up. Let em be miserable in defense of a nothing anecdote that happened to work for one rando.
Yes, but "jobs" that are succesfull in this pandemic is also finite. You can hustle and try to...idk... sell custom prints on etsy. But the demand might not be there.

I think people were just rubbed the wrong way by your "lol just use bootstraps" take.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

WTF do you think printing money does to our dollar? (any currency) It's not a constant.. You print another billion USD and our global dollar value drops. Look at inflation historically. Look at the removal of our 500k bill from circulation. Look at more recent examples of governments creating money out of thin air and what it does to markets.

That exact mentality and misunderstanding is why so many think unemployment is forever and has no ceiling.

serious question, are you informed by actual economists take on what should be the United States economic response to COVID, or are you just regurgitating what you took away from college econ? If so, can you cite 1+ people to support your points?

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

OK, maybe I'm old, but what does bartending have to do with the gig economy and having phones and laptops? Are you...like...delivering drinks via Doordash or something? I'm confused.

I only got even that far by googling "tom collins" and I see that is a mixed drink.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Yes, but "jobs" that are succesfull in this pandemic is also finite. You can hustle and try to...idk... sell custom prints on etsy. But the demand might not be there.

I think people were just rubbed the wrong way by your "lol just use bootstraps" take.
fair enough. I can be blunt. my bad.

but yeah, I agree.

for example, those who think printing money has no repercussion to the value: if everyone started shitting out gold bullion, spot value would drop. That was my point. There are options, probably less appealing to a lot of affected folks, but options nonetheless.

GreenMonkey, not bartending lol. I do standup. Organize club gigs occassionally. Took huge hits of traffic but change dictated a sink or swim lifeline. It just happened to work for the venues I frequent. Never meant to imply that my way was the only way. It's fucking not. Believe me.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly right. I'd even go so far as to have the Dems publicly equate GOP lies as more conspiracy theory garbage so you run their bad faith canards through the conspiracy theory shit stain filter.

Yes. That was what I was thinking as well. Things got as bad as they did because of the rampant and unchecked conspiracy theorists posting their takes all over FB and fringe websites. It's time for Democrats to use the same tactics and methods while spreading the truth. They try to play things by the books and that isn't working. They need to get dirty.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Damn this thread took a hot take turn. Thought it was a joke at first, but nah you for real believe that shit.

Yes. Along with exactly the opposite. I believe in working for yourself because this won't be the last upset, pandemic or otherwise. This is a wake up call. Never (NEVER) said I'd set the alarms. People chose to infer that. Hell, I apologized for my choice of words and that's not good enough... kind of like our previous admin. 🙈

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
fair enough. I can be blunt. my bad.

but yeah, I agree.

for example, those who think printing money has no repercussion to the value: if everyone started shitting out gold bullion, spot value would drop. That was my point. There are options, probably less appealing to a lot of affected folks, but options nonetheless.

GreenMonkey, not bartending lol. I do standup. Organize club gigs occassionally. Took huge hits of traffic but change dictated a sink or swim lifeline. It just happened to work for the venues I frequent. Never meant to imply that my way was the only way. It's fucking not. Believe me.

So are you actively working in bars that are open or is this some internet thing? Because you mentioned phones and laptops. Or was that unconnected?

Restaurants and bars aren't open at all here in MI but we're on of the few states being fucking rational about this. It blows my mind that people are going to restaurants and bars with a pandemic going on, but I guess it is a thing. You couldn't pay me a thousand dollars to sit in a restaurant and eat a meal with a bunch of other people right now.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
You're right, there are options. Could you suggest some? I'm asking this out of genuine curiosity, trying to learn more options. I'm sure lots of people would appreciate some help in thinking of options.

Sure. First, what skills do you have or what are some things you envision being sustainable financially that you'd be interested in trying? That's a good place to brainstorm as any IMO

GreenMonkey, usually hotels because bars are closed everywhere. clubs for the most part, too. Nevada, Arizona and Cali have places that'll accomodate. of course, that could involve travel expense depending on how one logistically makes their way around. did a few stream shows for a humane society that pulled decent heads. But I spend 75% of my time cold calling for gigs. So it's not easy, I never meant to imply that.

Also have to spend a fortune on gloves, masks and lysol. Hotels are shit pits. Even with social spacing

and for the record Era, if I could I'd go back to being a med assistant. In a heartbeat. But my personal hangups and change in thinking make that tougher, kind of like how my dumb suggestions seem tougher than need be for some. To each their own. But you're all creatures of variance. Don't waste that for any argumentative stance.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

WTF do you think printing money does to our dollar? (any currency) It's not a constant.. You print another billion USD and our global dollar value drops. Look at inflation historically. Look at the removal of our 10k bill from circulation. Look at more recent examples of governments creating money out of thin air and what it does to markets. even when talking about paper monies, scarcity plays a factor. Having limited tangible money gives it a lot of its value beyond face. This is true for literally anything exchanged.

Ironic that you're arguing not to print money at the same time the fed has launched the greatest QE ever and grown their balance sheet by almost $3.5 trillion since april and is still pumping 120 billion per month into financial markets which is why we have this huge asset inflation on wall st.

Seems like you're the one misunderstanding monetary policy and the current situation. Or maybe you know better than the fed?

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Ironic that you're arguing not to print money at the same time the fed has launched the greatest QE ever and grown their balance sheet by almost $3.5 trillion since april and is still pumping 120 billion per month into financial markets which is why we have this huge asset inflation on wall st.

Seems like you're the one misunderstanding monetary policy and the current situation. Or maybe you know better than the fed?

🤦‍♀️

you're right. I apologize for claiming to know better than the feds who have done such a fantastic job throughout America's history. My personal experience is null, but yours is spot on so just drop it. You're not going to convince me to trust any body of government's financial projections after they fucked me. Even if tomorrow we hit a new high. That low is right there, under the fine print. History and life expense has taught me that much. Sorry, that's just the hand I was dealt.

I don't know better than the feds. Never said that, so that so thanks for adding more snark. I took economics in college that taught me enough. worked as a PB for 8 years. I'm doing fine, so I can't be petty.

butreallytho

Oct 27, 2017
First, what skills do you have or what are some things you envision being sustainable financially
This is a good starting point, yeah. The first part is way easier to answer than the second, unfortunately. Money supply and society overall (ie purchasing habits etc that have been impacted by the pandemic, etc) complicate the question. The "sustainable financially" part is much more complicated and volatile than it normally would be, for many reasons.

To be clear, I'm not here to argue or anything, I'm trying to get some of these ideas you or others may have out in the open because I think a lot of people could use some inspiration and ideas and encouragement with the whole situation.

Like, a lot of people started selling hand made masks, that's something that sort of works with the situation rather than fighting it, I think.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
🤦‍♀️

you're right. I apologize for claiming to know better than the feds who have done such a fantastic job throughout America's history. My personal experience is null, but yours is spot on so just drop it. You're not going to convince me to trust any body of government's financial projections after they fucked me. Even if tomorrow we hit a new high. That low is right there, under the fine print. History and life expense has taught me that much. Sorry, that's just the hand I was dealt.

I don't know better than the feds. Never said that, so that so thanks for adding more snark. I took economics in college that taught me enough. I'm doing fine, so I can't be petty.
So basically your opinion is that you know better than the fed and the vast majority of economists because you took economics in college.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
So basically your opinion is that you know better than the fed and the vast majority of economists because you took economics in college.

Literally wrote the opposite. Reread that.

butreallytho, wanna chat through DM? I've ruffled the feathers of the phoenix, but you have some interesting points. Might be more conducive to discussion to not delve into those ideas in this dumpster.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
You literally wrote a paragraph why you know better than wrote you don't know better and then wrote another sentence you know better because " I took economics in college that taught me enough "

Reread it or find someone else to argue nonsense with Xcom. I ain't trying to have 15,000 posts on Era in 3 years time.

I wrote exactly the opposite of what you seem to be hung up on. Just move on. My opinion doesn't matter. It's a fucking opinion. Good lord.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

This advice works if you started years in advance.

You can't just...pick up a phone and immediately get a livable income.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
This advice works if you started years in advance.

You can't just...pick up a phone and immediately get a livable income.

True. I had to physically walk around last May through July and talk to casino and hotel and bar owners. Make a reel of open mics to sell my shitty voice. Promote that by walking and talking some more. And then, after all that networking, finally touch a phone more often than Heath Cliff touched hoagies. That's very true, but also true for any new job. You gotta interview, that can look different for different fields.

Nobody should expect to pick up a phone and have a career. Ecen craigslist jobs don't work lile that, anyone who has done em can attest. I don't know how anyone could infer that from my shit. People need to just read at face value. Some of us aren't deep thinking internet savants. Cut us some rug fluff.

Disagreement =/= bait 👶 It's part of discourse. It's normal for discussion. Rip those bandaids off FFS.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Yes. That was what I was thinking as well. Things got as bad as they did because of the rampant and unchecked conspiracy theorists posting their takes all over FB and fringe websites. It's time for Democrats to use the same tactics and methods while spreading the truth. They try to play things by the books and that isn't working. They need to get dirty.

Absolutely. I like to use the phrase "Ned Stark-ing it" to describe any situation where someone makes a good faith, honorable action against an adversary who is CLEARLY operating in bad faith (including, of course, criminality and terrorism).

Democrats have been Ned Stark for way too goddamn long.