• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The U.S. now has a in-home coronavirus screening tool, however it's NOT on the CDC's website but on Apple's website.....

www.apple.com

COVID-19 and Your Health

Symptoms, testing, what to do if sick, daily activities, and more.

9Z3nLYB.png

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Ain't nothing terrifying about how we are in an age when a national tragedy breaks out for corporations, and not even corporations in the same industry/background/field, step up and have to take over governmental duties.

This dystopia doesn't even have cool flying cars (but I guess that's next as the infrastructure crumbles)

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CDC couldn't even develop their own app, so Apple developed it for the feds:

www.coronavirus.gov

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

CDC provides credible COVID-19 health information to the U.S.

Alert
Apple and CDC, together with the White House and FEMA, launched a new website and app with a COVID-19 screening tool and resources to help people protect their health.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super okay with capable entities from the private sector lending their expertise but it's weird as hell that this is hosted on Apple's site. Almost like there's some deal in place to drive traffic in exchange. Or maybe it's just up on Apple's site early?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If you read a book where the USA sold off it's response to a disaster not only to the highest bidder, but piece by piece you would say bullshit

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
The same answer I get with Tricare. Unless you need immediate hospitalization or you think the virus is "Foreign", you can't or will not be tested. That's precisely why it spread so quickly here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
There's an app for that:

apps.apple.com

‎Apple COVID-19

‎The COVID-19 app has up-to-date information from trusted sources about the coronavirus disease that is impacting people across the world. It has a screening tool so you can find out what you should do now for yourself or for a loved one. And it gives you access to resources you may need to stay...

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's an app for that:

apps.apple.com

‎Apple COVID-19

‎The COVID-19 app has up-to-date information from trusted sources about the coronavirus disease that is impacting people across the world. It has a screening tool so you can find out what you should do now for yourself or for a loved one. And it gives you access to resources you may need to stay...

Now, did Apple and the CDC develop one for Android devices?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Ain't nothing terrifying about how we are in an age when a national tragedy breaks out for corporations, and not even corporations in the same industry/background/field, step up and have to take over governmental duties.

This dystopia doesn't even have cool flying cars (but I guess that's next as the infrastructure crumbles)

It's been joked before that the US (if not the world) has essentially become the megacorp-run dystopia envisioned by 90s media, and it's done so without giving us any of the cool shit that those fictional dystopias at least had. It's like the world is both trying to be Blade Runner and yet sucks too much to actually be Blade Runner.

If you read a book where the USA sold off it's response to a disaster not only to the highest bidder, but piece by piece you would say bullshit

I legit worry that future generations will ignore current events and will be doomed to repeat them because current events are so rock fucking stupid that no one's ever going to believe they actually happened.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I made my own app:

Do you have the symptoms? If Yes go to next.
Are you in imminent danger of dying or have severe pre-existing conditions? If Yes call this number, else go to next.
Have you travelled to or been in close contact with someone from a Covid-19 hotspot? If Yes call this number.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
The responses in this thread are puzzling. This is a joint venture with CDC and FEMA. It's right at the bottom of the page. Taking advantage of our existing private infrastructure is exactly what we want in an emergency. It's the entire reason for pressuring activation of the Defense Authorization Act.

The weird thing is that it's on Apples website, but whatever. Let's not nitpick.

Oct 27, 2017
The responses in this thread are puzzling. This is a joint venture with CDC and FEMA. It's right at the bottom of the page. Taking advantage of our existing private infrastructure is exactly what we want in an emergency. It's the entire reason for pressuring activation of the Defense Authorization Act.

The weird thing is that it's on Apples website, but whatever. Let's not nitpick.
I was specifically responding to " CDC couldn't even develop their own app, so Apple developed it for the feds: "

Arsenic

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1) it's on Apple's website, not CDC's. You'd think they have a space dedicated for that.

2) It's Apple. Are they making an Android app for this? Why not by some company more in the middle. Or both!

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
I was specifically responding to " CDC couldn't even develop their own app, so Apple developed it for the feds: "

I wasn't including you in the puzzling group. As you said, it would be folly for the CDC to develop an app, much less under the most extreme crunch possible. Utilizing the existing private infrastructure is the correct answer.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Ain't no platform wars? I was under the impression it was a downloadable app. It was about having as much people covered if that was the case

I apologize for the tone, being honest, I was very surprised at how accessible it actually is.

Just seeing White House listed as one of the partners made me expect something much less than ideal.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Not to be that guy, but why am I paying 30% in taxes for Apple to do the heavy lifting? There's alot of smoke about how we pay less then the Nordic model in taxes which I understand, but you figure for that the sizable amount we pay could at least cover...I dunno, a generic informative site for a national emergency

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Not to be that guy, but why am I paying 30% in taxes for Apple to do the heavy lifting? There's alot of smoke about how we pay less then the Nordic model in taxes which I understand, but you figure for that the sizable amount we pay could at least cover...I dunno, a generic informative site for a national emergency

Simply put, it's about efficiency and expertise. The one unassailable resource the US has is collective expertise. It's extremely inefficient for the government to maintain a stable of elite web/software engineers in the world when that work can be contracted out to the best the world has to offer (Apple, Google, Microsoft). Your 30% is just being more smartly allocated in this instance.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Apple!
huff and puff what about Android. something something walled garden

it's a website

kreepmode

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are making light of how basic and useless this screening site seems , but not everyone is you. this is better than nothing.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Basically, if you have one symptom (like a sore throat) and all other answers are "none of the above" the advice will still be to self-isolate and to even have a bathroom for yourself. So i'm okay with the app. Of course it's impossible for the app to see if you really have the virus.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I think it's fine but I don't think there should be a single link on the page that leads to their products. The top left logo for instance.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Simply put, it's about efficiency and expertise. The one unassailable resource the US has is collective expertise. It's extremely inefficient for the government to maintain a stable of elite web/software engineers in the world when that work can be contracted out to the best the world has to offer (Apple, Google, Microsoft). Your 30% is just being more smartly allocated in this instance.

Apple's expertise is in web design or health? At least if this was squarespace, lol. How many additional layers of bureaucracy did we have to go from the whitehouse to apple, and then to apple internally to pull off a simple questionnaire (and probably have to circle back many times to confirm this is what the WH wants? )

Many major municipalities actually do keep staff like graphic designers, Web designers, etc on staff because they consistently need their services, (at least if they are doing government right). Everything can't be 'free market' because there's a billion inefficiencies built into a municipality oursourcing shit. Not to say jobs don't get outsourced alot, but even Apple being the primary organizer of this makes no sense as far as a tech company being suited for the job. I know staff like this who are employed directly with NYC

Last edited: