• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
WASHINGTON -- U.S. home prices surged at the fastest pace in nearly seven years in December, fueled by low mortgage rates and Americans moving from crowded urban areas to houses in the suburbs.

The S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller 20-city home price index, released Tuesday, climbed 10.1% in December from a year earlier. The year-end jump was the biggest since April 2014 and follows a strong 9.2% year-over-year gain in November.

Home prices climbed 14.4% in Phoenix , 13.6% in Seattle and 13% in Seattle in December. But prices rose all over. Chicago, which recorded the slowest price gain, saw a 7.7% uptick. Detroit was not included in the year-over-year figures because of record-keeping delays caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

abcnews.go.com

U.S. home prices rise 10.1% in December, fastest since 2014

U.S. home prices surged at the fastest pace in nearly seven years in December, fueled by low mortgage rates and Americans moving from urban apartments to houses in the suburbs

10% increase sounds insane to me.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I don't pretend to know about this stuff but considering how many people are having trouble paying their mortgage by guess is that it's people with shit tons of money inflating the prices.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are only three houses for sale in my town right now. When shit pops up, it goes sometimes within just a couple of days. It's fucking crazy.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised in the slightest. My homes value has nearly doubled for what I bought it for only a couple years ago. Bunch of people in my neighborhood have sold their houses, often in a few weeks time after they go on the market. It's been pretty crazy.

Mar 3, 2018
I was just talking to a friend in Pheonix about this who has been looking to buy but the prices are intimidating. I'm in Toronto so can really feel and see this first hand.

I wonder what will happen long term when these cities get simply unlivable since the wage increase doesn't move in unison with the rising living costs. I know so many people moving out to the country and more smaller communities.

There are only three houses for sale in my town right now. When shit pops up, it goes sometimes within just a couple of days. It's fucking crazy.

Yeah, shits crazy. Two houses went on sale on our street and they sold within 3 days.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks because I wanted to get a home at the end of our lease but looking like we'll just have to keep renting

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
The wife and I are trying to get a bigger place for our growing family, and from when we started looking casually two years ago to now, the cost of the same type of homes has gone up between 80K to 150K. It is insane.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of investors and companies buying homes now to resell/airbnb. Plus frozen evictions means even if you can't pay the mortgage you can't be evicted. Things are gonna come to a head eventually when these people have to pay.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
As someone who sold and bought in Dec. I can confirm that is correct. We even got 2k above asking for our home. It's really wild

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
The January numbers are going to be even worse

I'm waiting on some money to come in to buy a house next month. Watching the numbers creep up over the past three months has been agonizing. It's going to be a nightmare. Doesn't help that nobody is selling.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I'm putting my townhome up for sale this week and we expect it to be sold by next Tuesday... that is crazy to me. One unit in my complex went for 40K over this past week, so that bodes well for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if other countries are experiencing mid scale migration domestically during covid as well. It's pretty wild.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm going to buy a house this year...

Jesus...

Luckily, a bank nearby has a 2.75% interest, so not all bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
In Austin houses go routinely for 500k-1m and sell within 24 hours.

I thought with the pandemic things might slow the market, but nope it actually seems to be holding or rising.

Seems like a lot of people selling fast and high to people who can now WFH anywhere.

It is absurd to hear people say they bought a literal teardown for half a mil.

dkeane

Oct 27, 2017
We're not happy with our current condo situation but there's basically nothing available.
Houses we look at are shit and cost half a million.
Plus they sell within a couple days and the buyers are often paying in cash.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm 35 in the US and I may never own a home. My hope is that remote jobs continue, broadband becomes more widespread in rural US, and I'll find that magic spot where homes are affordable.

Lofty expectations, I know.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is brutal. Especially for first time buyers. I had to struggle for 15 years in rentals and saving for a down payment.

I had to get multiple promotions, raises, bonuses, and sacrifice my health to get a basic home in Los Angeles.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I don't pretend to know about this stuff but considering how many people are having trouble paying their mortgage by guess is that it's people with shit tons of money inflating the prices.
It's being driven by people who used to live close to work being freed to work from home, meaning they no longer have to live in a small house close to a big city, or live in a city they don't like just for work.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to buy. Everything's just getting into the market and leaving. Prices are going up everywhere. It's crazy.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yes, as someone looking to buy their first home, the stuff I see now vs. last year seems markedly more expensive. Less so for condos than houses, but it's been pretty scary to see the upswing. Thank god interest rates are low.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The system is promoting people to take on more cheap debt..
its no surprise asset values would rise

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Actually talked with a real estate agent some months ago. The reason is more like "tons more people are working at home, realizing where they live doesn't matter, so they're moving to where they'd rather be."

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
My home value has increased by nearly $100k since we bought it back in July of 2017. The people coming from California with tons of money are making house hunting a bloodbath here in the metro Denver area.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Low interest rates are driving this a bit too, giving people a little more purchasing power (we just refinanced to 2.49% on a 15 year).

I am glad we bought our house when we did 5 years ago. We make more now than when we did then but also our home has gone up to close to 100k (our old house sold a couple months go and they sold it for 50% more than they bought it from us) in that time but still adding another 100k to the loan even with the lower interest rates would be pushing it a bit for us.

Oct 28, 2017
California
A tale of two Americas. There's folks who are really struggling right now, but at the same time house prices keep going up and they keep getting snatched up. It's crazy.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Average home price around here is a half-million dollars.

That ain't for a mansion either. That's for what back in the day would have been in the mid-200's.

I don't know how anyone is supposed to handle this stuff without already owning one to begin with.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just an insane situation, bought my house 4 years ago (NYC metro, 1 hour from city) for $395 and right now it's worth at least $560, if I actually sold it would probably go for more than that. Can't move cuz our jobs are local but nice to see our house value spike so much in such a short time

Oct 27, 2017
I live right outside Boston and rent and the housing prices here are absurd. I joke with my girlfriend that eventually we'll have to buy in northern Vermont, it's looking less and less like a joke as time goes on.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Built my house in the country right before COVID hit. For being an hour from DC and have a single family house with decent land, quiet neighborhood, and good schools, the price I paid was kind of insane. Hopefully the value doubles in 10 years when we feel like moving again.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my home's value has increased a ton. Tempting to sell and make a nice chunk of money, but given I'll have to turn around and buy a house at these insane prices...nah lol

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I live right outside Boston and rent and the housing prices here are absurd. I joke with my girlfriend that eventually we'll have to buy in northern Vermont, it's looking less and less like a joke as time goes on.
my wife and I just bought a house right outside the city. The market sucks so much. Prices are insane and buyers are waiving shit left and right just to get a place. One house we put an offer on got nearly 50 offers!

Sep 14, 2019
So gonna be living in my parents home for the rest of my life then. No way I can afford my own place, especially in a neighborhood getting gentrified.

I'm gonna start saving to have a second bathroom built in their home.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
How accurate are places like redfin and Zillow for estimates on buying a place?

Oct 27, 2017
my wife and I just bought a house right outside the city. The market sucks so much. Prices are insane and buyers are waiving shit left and right just to get a place. One house we put an offer on got nearly 50 offers!
When my parents sold their house on the north shore a couple years ago to move to Florida they had one open house and got 25 offers, most of which were above asking price. There were people willing to waive basically everything. I'm lucky in which my job seems to be turning into a remote gig and I could live anywhere, but my girlfriend doesn't have that luxury.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Lots of investors and companies buying homes now to resell/airbnb. Plus frozen evictions means even if you can't pay the mortgage you can't be evicted. Things are gonna come to a head eventually when these people have to pay.

Yep. We deferred our mortgage for way longer than we wanted due to the paperwork being slow and were given a 0% second loan not due until the last mortgage payment is due in order to pay it back.

If we got that deal, a lot of big and small time investors got similar deals.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Wife and I could sell our home for a $80,000 profit. Problem is, the size of home we need for our kids and us is so much more expensive that we'd still end up with higher house payments 🤦‍♂️ .

We can't afford the higher payment 🤷‍♂️ .

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm moving to a schitts creek town when it's time to buy a house and get into a bunch of zany, but uplifting antics.

Ohio, my home state, is blowing tf up right now. Columbus is a complete shit show, and now even cleveland market is getting white hot. It's pretty wild.

I don't even want to buy a house in LA. if I live here for life, I'm renting forever. Sorry future neighbors for when my baby is freaking out.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
How accurate are places like redfin and Zillow for estimates on buying a place?
Probably widely varies based on the area, but just in my experience looking at places around the Boston area, we were regularly going 50-70K above asking. And most of those were rejected in favor of higher offers lol.

When my parents sold their house on the north shore a couple years ago to move to Florida they had one open house and got 25 offers, most of which were above asking price. There were people willing to waive basically everything. I'm lucky in which my job seems to be turning into a remote gig and I could live anywhere, but my girlfriend doesn't have that luxury.
Yeah it's pretty insane. In hindsight our process was much shorter and not as exhaustive as it could've been, and is very for many people. But it's wild what buyers are getting with right now, and what sellers are willing to do. I was in line for an open house a few weeks ago and heard a realtor talk about one couple that was just so burned out, they bought a place on the south shore totally sight unseen.