• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sprint and T-Mobile has just overcame one of their final remaining obstacles in terms of their proposed $26 billion merger. A U.S. District Court judge has just ruled on February 11th in favor of the Sprint, T-Mobile merger and further ruled that the court does not see Sprint remaining a national mobile network operator without the T-Mobile merger. It's unknown when the merger will be fully finalized and Sprint and T-Mobile will become a single, united company since the deal is now pending approval of the California Public Utilities Commission:

www.cnbc.com

Judge approves $26 billion merger of T-Mobile and Sprint

The ruling clears one of the final hurdles for the deal.

Shares of Sprint soared Tuesday after a U.S. District judge ruled in favor of its $26 billion deal to merge with T-Mobile.

The stock was up 75% Tuesday morning. It had risen after hours Monday after The Wall Street Journal reported the judge was expected to rule in favor of the deal. Shares of T-Mobile were up 10%.

The ruling clears one of the final hurdles for the deal, which still can't close until the California Public Utilities Commission approves the transaction. Tuesday's ruling also culminates a years-long courtship between Sprint and T-Mobile, which have made multiple attempts over the years to merge, only to abandon their plans fearing regulatory scrutiny.

In his decision filed Tuesday, Judge Victor Marrero wrote, "The resulting stalemate leaves the Court lacking sufficiently impartial and objective ground on which to rely in basing a sound forecast of the likely competitive effects of a merger."

The judge laid out three points on which the court rejected the states' objections to the merger. First, he said, they failed to convince the court that the merged party "would pursue anticompetitive behavior that, soon after the merger, directly or indirectly, will yield higher prices or lower quality for wireless telecommunications services."

Second, the court rejected that Sprint would be able to continue operating effectively as a wireless services competitor without the merger.

"The Court is thus substantially persuaded that Sprint does not have a sustainable long-term competitive strategy and will in fact cease to be a truly national [mobile network operator]," the ruling said.

And finally, the court rejected the states' argument that Dish Network "would not enter the wireless services market as a viable competitor nor live up to its commitments to build a national wireless network." The deal called for Dish to step in as a new wireless player based on agreements with the DOJ and FCC. Shares of Dish were up 11% on the judge's ruling.

www.nytimes.com

T-Mobile and Sprint Are Cleared to Merge as the Big Get Bigger (Published 2020)

In a wave of merger mania, the nation’s third- and fourth-largest wireless carriers moved closer to becoming a significant rival to AT&T and Verizon.

Feb. 11, 2020

A federal judge on Tuesday ruled in favor of T-Mobile's takeover of Sprint in a deal that would further concentrate corporate ownership of technology, combining the nation's third- and fourth-largest wireless carriers and creating a new telecommunications giant to take on rivals AT&T and Verizon.

The decision, by Judge Victor Marrero of United States District Court in Manhattan, comes in an unusual suit filed in June by attorneys general from 13 states and the District of Columbia. The challenge was brought after regulators at the Department of Justice and Federal Communications Commission gave their blessing to the deal.

The states argued that the combination of T-Mobile and Sprint would reduce competition in the telecommunications industry, lead to higher cellphone bills and place a financial burden on lower-income customers.

The deal will create a new telecommunications giant, taking the name of T-Mobile, that will have more than 100 million customers.

The new company will be led by Mike Sievert, a T-Mobile executive who will take over from John Legere, the face of the company whose contract is up in April.

www.businesswire.com

T-Mobile and Sprint Win in Court; Companies Moving to Finalize Merger to Create New Supercharged Un-carrier

T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) and Sprint (NYSE: S) today announced that after receiving a favorable decision in Federal Court in New York the compa

February 11, 2020 08:45 AM Eastern Standard Time

BELLEVUE, Wash. & OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) and Sprint (NYSE: S) today announced that after receiving a favorable decision in Federal Court in New York the companies are now taking final steps to complete their merger to create the New T-Mobile. In a decision issued a short time ago, the Court stated that, "T-Mobile has redefined itself over the past decade as a maverick that has spurred the two largest players in its industry to make numerous pro-consumer changes. The proposed merger would allow the merged company to continue T-Mobile's undeniably successful business strategy for the foreseeable future."

"Today was a huge victory for this merger … and now we are FINALLY able to focus on the last steps to get this merger done! We want to thank the Court for its thorough review of the facts we presented in our case. We've said it all along: the New T-Mobile will be a supercharged Un-carrier that is great for consumers and great for competition. The broad and deep 5G network that only our combined companies will be able to bring to life is going to change wireless … and beyond. Look out Dumb and Dumber and Big Cable – we are coming for you … and you haven't seen anything yet!" said John Legere, Chief Executive Officer of T-Mobile.

"This is a BIG win and a BIG day for the New T-Mobile! Now we can get to work finishing what we set out to do – bringing a new standard for value, speed, coverage, quality and customer service to U.S. consumers everywhere and TRULY changing wireless for good. Now we're laser-focused on finishing the few open items that remain but our eye is on the prize: finally bringing this long-awaited merger and all the goodness it will deliver to a close as early as April 1, 2020. We are SO ready to bring the New T-Mobile to life!" said Mike Sievert, COO and President of T-Mobile.

"Judge Marrero's decision validates our view that this merger is in the best interests of the U.S. economy and American consumers," said Sprint Executive Chairman Marcelo Claure. "Today brings us a big step closer to creating a combined company that will provide nationwide 5G, lower costs, and a high-performing network that will invigorate competition to the benefit of all mobile wireless and in-home broadband consumers. With the support of federal regulators and now this Court, we will focus on quickly completing the few remaining necessary steps to close this transaction. I am proud of my Sprint team's dedication, passion and resilience throughout the merger review process, and we are ready to make the vision of a New T-Mobile a reality."

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I have a friend who dumped his T-Mobile wireless plan for Sprint, he isn't happy he's being dragged back to T-Mobile.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
outside of your general "companies shouldn't get bigger" sort of thing, I think it's not quite correct to call it anti-competitive, as Sprint's infrastructure and the way their data works (lol hope you don't like talking on the phone and browsing the internet at the same time) doesn't really leave much in the way of competition; Sprint competes with the top 3 like bicycles compete with cars.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good

I'm generally not a fan of consolidation but Sprint hasn't been competitive for what feels like decades

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I went from Sprint to T-mobile like three years ago and it was the best decision of my life. Fuck Sprint, fuck this merge.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
I went from Sprint to T-mobile like three years ago and it was the best decision of my life. Fuck Sprint, fuck this merge.
I would say according to the terms most of the Sprint stuff will be equipment and all that. I imagine since it's T-Mobile dominant they will retain their customer service standards which has been excellent for me so far.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have Verizon after starting with T-Mobile, switching to Sprint briefly, and then finally ending up here. Am I missing out?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Softbank from what I've read, needed to inject large amounts of money into Sprint just to keep Sprint alive.

This merger was essentially a hail Mary move by Softbank to keep Sprint truly alive and make them competitive again.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this makes my T-Mobile service good. I can expect to not have any signal in the rural areas surrounding me and, in some cases, even in some of the urban. I put up with it, 'cause T-Mobile's not Verizon and I will never give Verizon my money again.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My dad has had Sprint (and before that Nextel) for like 20 years. He swears by it.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Softbank from what I've read, needed to inject large amounts of money into Sprint just to keep Sprint alive.

This merger was essentially a hail Mary move by Softbank to keep Sprint truly alive and make them competitive again.
I think a lot of large companies need to be busted, but this is one merger I'm in favor of. Sprint was a shitty non-player that was flailing around. AT&T and Verizon were also on a whole other level, so I think this merger does break up a duopoly somewhat.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a negative merger like most think it to be. The merger will make for a better more robust competitor to AT&T and Verizon. And if that means they all have to spend more to compete and we all get the added benefits that go along with those improvements I'm all for it.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been quite happy with T-mobile but I also really, really fucking hate Sprint and can't say I'm thrilled with this news. If things change for the worse I'll bounce in a heartbeat.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
They haven't been measurably worse for me than Verizon was, so it really matters where you are.
That's odd, I'd always heard Verizon was top notch. I'm in a huge city (Miami) so I feel they should've had their shit together. Their every day excuse for the few years I was with them was "we're upgrading our towers" please be patient.
Stumbling, they barely survived while under Softbank ownership.
Craziness. Maybe I should've kept that stock I had haha.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I work for T-Mo and it looks like we are gaining their subscriber base, towers and ... losing John by the end of the year. :(

I've been around since the failed AT&T merger (probably one of the darkest times working for the company) and this seems to be better than that, but I'm bummed about Legere leaving.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I work for T-Mo and it looks like we are gaining their subscriber base, towers and ... losing John by the end of the year. :(

I've been around since the failed AT&T merger (probably one of the darkest times working for the company) and this seems to be better than that, but I'm bummed about Legere leaving.
Why would John Legere be leaving? He has been a very positive and, in my opinion, productive CEO.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a negative merger like most think it to be. The merger will make for a better more robust competitor to AT&T and Verizon. And if that means they all have to spend more to compete and we all get the added benefits that go along with those improvements I'm all for it.
While I kind of do wish that maybe there were more real regional carries that would in theory care about their individual markets more than a national carrier would and perhaps reach more of the odd low or no reception areas I don't miss Sprint. If they were still a player like they were when I got my first cell then I'd hate losing them but seems clear Sprint was going down one way or another. They really botched the switch to digital and have been fucked ever since.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll see the Can You Hear Me Now guy with a pink shirt on, continuing that circuit.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
That's funny because I went from T-Mobile to sprint and have had the best service and time with sprint in comparison to T-Mobile.
I think most of the hate Sprint gets is from how terrible they used to be. Anyone have any stories of Sprint being bad in the past couple years?

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Why would John Legere be leaving? He has been a very positive and, in my opinion, productive CEO.

He's a hot commodity now. Mike Sievert will be transitioning into his role.

www.t-mobile.com

Mike Sievert to Succeed John Legere as CEO of T‑Mobile on May 1, 2020 ‑ T‑Mobile Newsroom

T‑Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) today announced that its Board of Directors has named Mike Sievert as Chief Executive Officer, effective May 1, 2020.

To be fair, John changed how all of our leadership here is viewed and they all seem to have a little bit of his personality in them now which makes it better than him jumping ship and leaving us with some stingy soulless white dude.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hope this helps with T-Mobile's garbage signal in my house. Sucks having to depend on wifi for calls.

blomby

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Globalization is going to start in telecom and it's going to be done privately instead of through the government. If you want a road map to corporations in complete control, this is it.

All of these companies need to be broken up and treated like a utility.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I really don't see how this will be good for competition in the future. I understand the argument for it but I don't trust mega corps to retain lower prices for sprint customers when they merge and then compete with att and Verizon for the market.

How are those lower cost cell substitutes from att and t-mobile? Cricket and metro.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck mergers, fuck mega corps but honestly, I'm shocked it took this long for Sprint to be merged now, they always seemed to play last place since T-Mobile upped their game and ATT became Ma Bell 2.0

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
Welp I have had the same Sprint plan for 14 years. Looking forward to it turning to shit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I have Sprint Business and love it (got 3 iPhone 11s for free!) - not looking forward to rate increases - however if service improves dramatically I will be ok with it.

I was hoping that the Softbank acquisition of Sprint would improve mobile service. I was a Sprint customer at the time that Softbank proposed acquiring Sprint and I thought at the time: "Oh awesome, could the U.S. get a superior mobile network through Softbank? Japan has one of the superior mobile networks in the world."

Unfortunately, that didn't happen and Softbank's dream of gaining a foothold in the U.S. mobile industry through Sprint essentially died as for the past couple of years, it was reported Sprint was a continuous money loser and Softbank kept needing to inject funding to keep Sprint alive.

Deleted member 18502

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Telecom mergers are a messy business, it will take years for the company to truly operate as 1 entity. Thousands will lose jobs, prices will go up for everyone. As a telecom guy, I think T-mobile has made a giant mistake. They have pushed the market to innovate for several years now, this merger of systems, people, practices, etc are going to be costly and allows Verizon (most likely) to become the innovative force in the space.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was with Sprint almost 2 decades ago. Service plummeted and I wasn't happy. Ended up going to T-Mobile in a few years since I was stuck in a contract. Been happy with T-mobile ever since so I'm a little uneasy on this news, but as long as service and reception improves, I'm all for it.
Hopefully, this doesn't cause my bill to go up.

Oct 25, 2017
Sprint has been a non entity completely on a national scale for almost a decade. I get that this will suck for Sprint customers on ridiculous grandfathered plans, but in the long run, T-Mobile gaining Sprint's towers and spectrum holdings will allow TMobile to compete with AT&T and Verizon for real.

Without this deal, both T-Mobile and Sprint were operating on borrowed time.