• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see a thread on this, but here goes:

www.reuters.com

U.S. court: Mass surveillance program exposed by Snowden was illegal

Seven years after former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden blew the whistle on the mass surveillance of Americans' telephone records, an appeals court has found the program was unlawful - and that the U.S. intelligence leaders who publicly defended it were...

Seven years after former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden blew the whistle on the mass surveillance of Americans' telephone records, an appeals court has found the program was unlawful - and that the U.S. intelligence leaders who publicly defended it were not telling the truth.

In a ruling handed down on Wednesday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit said the warrantless telephone dragnet that secretly collected millions of Americans' telephone records violated the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and may well have been unconstitutional.

Snowden commented on Twitter:

I think it's pretty obviously unconstitutional to, without a warrant, violate the privacy of millions of innocent Americans. This practice should be ended and Snowden should receive a full presidential pardon. It's time to bring him home.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they also find that the surveilance didn't prevent a single attack?

OP
OP

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, that's correct:

Up until that moment, top intelligence officials publicly insisted the NSA never knowingly collected information on Americans at all. After the program's exposure, U.S. officials fell back on the argument that the spying had played a crucial role in fighting domestic extremism, citing in particular the case of four San Diego residents who were accused of providing aid to religious fanatics in Somalia.

U.S. officials insisted that the four - Basaaly Saeed Moalin, Ahmed Nasir Taalil Mohamud, Mohamed Mohamud, and Issa Doreh - were convicted in 2013 thanks to the NSA's telephone record spying, but the Ninth Circuit ruled Wednesday that those claims were "inconsistent with the contents of the classified record."

Both unconstitutional and ineffective, an overreach of executive branch power.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Not only that, but officials lied to the courts about it preventing attacks.

U.S. officials insisted that the four - Basaaly Saeed Moalin, Ahmed Nasir Taalil Mohamud, Mohamed Mohamud, and Issa Doreh - were convicted in 2013 thanks to the NSA's telephone record spying, but the Ninth Circuit ruled Wednesday that those claims were "inconsistent with the contents of the classified record."

This is definitely something that should follow the Obama admin to their graves.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
He's a hero. Pardon him. He doesn't have to come back here but it's the right thing to do.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
For the record, Trump has said he might pardon Snowden, but Trump talks so much nonsense that you never know when he's actually telling the truth.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they'll pardon him. That would signify that whistleblowing is okay, and I imagine they'll still want to punish him for airing their dirt the way he did.

Oct 27, 2017
So like...... pardon when?

Wasn't Trump flirting with the idea of pardoning Snowden, despite knowing nothing about him or the case? I guess he reconsidered when he learned of Snowden's recent politics.