• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
I am not making any argument or explanation.
I simply try to be better every day and understand certain things better.

To be honest, I am a little bit confused about the reaction here, that I simply want to learn more about it and understand it better.

Since when is learning ignorance?

I guess I should not ask questions around here…
I typically don't respond to people in this manner. But if you are truly not willfully ignorant then you deserve this response.

pull your head out of your butt and look around.

People are dying from COVID by the hundreds of thousands. Millions of people have gotten the vaccine and you can count the freak accidents from the vaccine on your fingers.

Which one do you think is better for you and for family?

there should be no more questions.

not enough for you?

vaccines have been around for hundreds of years. We know how they work, if we didn't know they worked they wouldn't be approved for use. There's no long term side effects. Your kids are probably already vaccinated against other stuff. The organizations which approved those vaccines that your kids already have are the same ones that are approving these vaccines. If they started approving unsafe vaccines now the world would be fucking wrecked, do you think they would do that? Or do you think they would do what they've always done and not approve a vaccine until it's safe to do so? What do you think they're working on right now?

And if you do need more evidence then why should anyone else have to do your research for you?

it's okay to ask questions. But if you're still asking questions about are vaccines safe and effective at this point, then you are so far lost that these are the answer you get.

You've already gotten more patience then you deserve.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
There are techniques that a certain type of person uses to sow doubt about vaccines, and often these techniques have been honed by years of practice and modeling on figures that make a living off of misinformation. Haselbacher is employing those techniques. They are almost certainly not interested in real information. Almost certainly not looking for answers to the questions being asked.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I'm really really hopeful that this curbs the rise in cases. And I hope it gives parents some peace of mind.

Schools just started back up here in Maryland and I'm terrified of how things might be in a few weeks.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Concern Trolling; Dismissive Commentary
Unnecessary and immoral when those much more in need around the world have got no Vaccine.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this can't come soon enough. My 7yrold is doing virtual for first half of the year at least and this should get us to the second half in person.

also, super cool that some older kids here have wise words to share with us selfish parents.

Last edited:

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah. You on some bullshit here. Kids need the shot because they are forced into crowded rooms with two dozen other kids and an adult. So no my kid needs the vaccine.

I respect that. I have an 11 year old but me and his mum look at the science and the science tells us the risk of major illness or worse death to my son is minimal.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
Each to the own.

Would say the same about the UK as well simply because the chances of death for under 18 year olds currently sits at 2 for each million.

My kid doesn't need it but adults in need do.
Are you reading this off a talking points list from last year? It's September 2021 - if death is the only thing you're concerned about, you aren't paying close enough attention.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you reading this off a talking points list from last year? It's September 2021 - if death is the only thing you're concerned about, you aren't paying close enough attention.

During the second wave of the pandemic in the UK, the hospitalisation rate in children and young people was 100 to 400 per million.

Maybe the CDC stats for the US are much worse but honestly what do you want me to say? I haven't seen any science which says young children are at risk death or major illness from covid in September 2021 but please do share some links if you have some and I'll read away.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I would be ecstatic if they did. It wouldn't completely removed the worry, but it'd go a long way to feeling more comfortable with our kids in school and teachers being unable to enforce/get mask mandates.

Oct 25, 2017
During the second wave of the pandemic in the UK, the hospitalisation rate in children and young people was 100 to 400 per million.

Maybe the CDC stats for the US are much worse but honestly what do you want me to say? I haven't seen any science which says young children are at risk death or major illness from covid in September 2021 but please do share some links if you have some and I'll read away.

The current delta wave in the US is wrecking havoc in kids. Pediatric ICUs are packed. Some kids are getting very sick from this. Have you ever seen a child in active heart failure from myocarditis? I have. It's not a pretty sight. Kids are also bigger vectors for transmission with the delta variant and big risks to school teachers and their contacts. Maybe if you aren't paying attention to US news ( like the multiple teacher deaths within weeks of schools starting) then you shouldn't be posting things like this in a US centric thread about the vaccine.

EDIT

quick google literally from 4 days ago

www.cnn.com

Every day, hundreds of kids are getting hospitalized with Covid-19. That's not the only reason to protect kids from Delta, doctors say

Doctors say keeping kids Covid-free is critical to keep in-person learning, prevent long-term complications and help stave off more aggressive variants for everyone.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

You haven't been looking at the science. Otherwise you would have noticed the Delta variant. Especially in the UK.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU

If your kid happens to be one of those 100 to 400, then you'd probably wish they got vaccinated. It's not JUST about hospitalizations as well, a lot of children reportedly have had cases of Long Covid, something that is often more subtle as far as symptoms go, where a big chunk of parents would not even seek hospital care, but sometimes take a long time to even identify those symptoms as Covid-related. Also, it will help the general community spread and thus avoid excess mutations as well.
I do agree on the fact that other poorer countries should get priority and a unified response to this pandemic would have been a LOT better, but what else is new? Rich countries have been exploiting poorer ones since the dawn of time, and it's still as disgusting and hypocritical as ever, nothing has changed in that regard.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You haven't been looking at the science. Otherwise you would have noticed the Delta variant. Especially in the UK.

Dude only last week the JCVI voted against vaccinating 12-17 year olds in the UK right now.

The WHO still haven't said teenagers let alone younger children should be vaccinated ahead of adults in need.

I'm not paying attention though and clearly neither are the WHO or the JCVI.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How about you fully just shut your intentionally ignorant ass up. Jesus Christ. Pretty sure it was just a few short month ago we watched in terror as India was racking up hundreds of thousands a day with covid. Now here it is, same thing happening in the US, fucks like you just say suck it up, as we take up over a quarter of worldwide infections in this one country, not to mention over 10% of global deaths.

So kindly fuck off with your bullshit "just asking questions".

Oct 25, 2017
Dude only last week the JCVI voted against vaccinating 12-17 year olds in the UK right now.

The WHO still haven't said teenagers let alone younger children should be vaccinated ahead of adults in need.

Neither the WHO nor the JCVI are US centric organizations. Thanks though.

EDIT

To clarify further, one of the things you learn in medical school/residency, when dissection a recent paper/study about a disease and/or treatment is the demographics of the study population. It's important that the data you are using to base your own medical decisions on is replicated in a similar patient population that you practice in. It's incredible how much demographics can change the outcomes of certain things. It's why there is such practice variation among different countries for seemingly straightforward things. You cannot directly apply statistics from one country and use it to make medical decisions in another. You can take it into account but you really need to focus on data from the same patient population you are working with.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
There are techniques that a certain type of person uses to sow doubt about vaccines, and often these techniques have been honed by years of practice and modeling on figures that make a living off of misinformation. Haselbacher is employing those techniques. They are almost certainly not interested in real information. Almost certainly not looking for answers to the questions being asked.
At minimum they should be thread banned.
Good news. Hopefully it's as early in the month as possible, but I know these things take time.
my wife told me she saw an article this morning that said it could be mid October.

Unnecessary and immoral when those much more in need around the world have got no Vaccine.
fuck outta here with this shit.

We don't control what countries have the vaccine. My kids are in school with other kids not wearing masks. It would be immoral to not protect my kids with a known good vaccine. Just like it's a mandatory report for pediatricians that see kids with chicken pox.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How about you fully just shut your intentionally ignorant ass up. Jesus Christ. Pretty sure it was just a few short month ago we watched in terror as India was racking up hundreds of thousands a day with covid. Now here it is, same thing happening in the US, fucks like you just say suck it up, as we take up over a quarter of worldwide infections in this one country, not to mention over 10% of global deaths.

So kindly fuck off with your bullshit "just asking questions".

"suck it up" exactly where did I say that.

I simply have questioned the need for young children to be vaccinated ahead of adults.

The same with the booster shots ahead of unvaccinated adults.

How you have managed to conclude I was saying "suck it up" when I'm saying those in more desperate need for vaccines should be prioritised is one hell of reach.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
"suck it up" exactly where did I say that.

I simply have questioned the need for young children to be vaccinated ahead of adults.

The same with the booster shots ahead of unvaccinated adults.

How you have managed to conclude I was saying "suck it up" when I'm saying those in more desperate need for vaccines should be prioritised is one hell of reach.
I would not have responded to your original post as strongly as others, but I also don't understand the purpose of it. Offering vaccines to children doesn't mean vaccines aren't going elsewhere. It doesn't mean those at risk are denied vaccination. Both things can happen. Both things are a net benefit for humanity. No one is advocating for children to be vaccinated ahead of adults. They are advocating for children to be vaccinated. What do you get out of being opposed to that?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Who tf said kids should be vaccinated ahead of adults/ elderly at risk?
They should be vaccinated -too-, which currently is the big problem (outside of morons prefering horse dewormer) in the US where we have enough doses for everyone that needs one, but no vaccine has been deemed safe yet for under 12y olds.

This is not about the situation in the rest of the world (US has shipped 110million doses to 65 countries).

Get the fuck out of here with your "immoral" bullshit.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
People putting in stats about kids being really low risk are using studies from the initial or alpha variants. Delta is different in how much more transmissible it is. Kids are getting it and some are going to hospitals as a result. The sooner we can vaccinate them, the better and faster we can return to normal. I do believe many vaccines are expiring due to lack of demand in both the US and Canada now. Why not use them on kids instead of wasting them.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would not have responded to your original post as strongly as others, but I also don't understand the purpose of it. Offering vaccines to children doesn't mean vaccines aren't going elsewhere. Both things can happen. Both things are a net benefit for humanity. No one is advocating for children to be vaccinated ahead of adults. They are advocating for children to be vaccinated. What do you get out of being opposed to that?

I never said I was against children being vaccinated. My argument was simply America and every other wealthy nation should be doing everything possible to get the world adult population vaccinated before young children.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Mandate that shit so my sister in law has no choice to vaccinate my nephews

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

CDC and ECDC have been vaccinating teens for months, the things JVCI aren't backed by that reality. As far as the WHO goes, their SAGE has already long approved the vaccine for teens.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I never said I was against children being vaccinated. My argument was simply America and every other wealthy nation should be doing everything possible to get the world adult population vaccinated before young children.
Why do you feel that goal is in opposition to also getting children vaccinated? To me, the more important goal is "reduce total infections as much as possible," which will provide the greatest benefit to the greatest number of at-risk individuals. "Vaccinate all adults before any children" does not accomplish that goal. It's solving the wrong problem.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The goal should also be to reach herd immunity, and that is not achievable without vaccinating kids and teens. Getting unprotected people vaccinated protects everyone, especially now that most vaccine producers like Belgium, Germany and the US are easily capable of exporting tens of millions of vaccines weekly and still do kids and teens.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017

This thread about a vaccine being submitted and potentially approved for a group that currently has zero access holds no bearing on your argument that others should get it first. The FDA doesn't base compound approval decisions on how a compound has been distributed thus far. They base it on safety and efficacy.. Even if you are right about the sad state of global access and distribution (which I agree with). So I'm not sure why you are discussing this in this thread tbh other than to troll and antagonize parents being given a glimmer of hope after 18 months of hell