• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Britain's top medical advisers on Monday painted a grim picture of exponential growth in illness and death if nothing is done to control the second wave of coronavirus infections, laying the groundwork for the government to announce new restrictions later this week.

After a slow rise in COVID-19 infections over the summer, the number of new cases is now doubling every seven days, and if nothing is done to slow the spread of the disease this could lead to as many as 49,000 cases a day by mid-October, Chief Scientific Officer Patrick Vallance told the public during a televised briefing.

The experience in other countries shows that this increase in infections will soon lead to a rise in deaths, Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty added.

"We have, in a very bad sense, literally turned a corner," after weeks of rising infections, Whitty said.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson later this week is expected to announce a slate of short-term restrictions that will act as a "circuit breaker" to slow the spread of the disease. He huddled with other ministers over the weekend to discuss the government's response.

Whitty stressed that infection rates are rising among all age groups and said that it is not acceptable for individuals to ignore health guidelines and engage in risky activity. Everyone must do their part to slow the spread of the disease because infections among the young and healthy will inevitably spread to their friends and family members and ultimately to the most vulnerable in society.

"This is not someone else's problem," he said. "This is all of our problem."

The government is hoping to slow the spread of COVID-19, which last week pushed new cases to levels not seen since early May. Almost 3,900 new infections were reported on Sunday, compared with a peak of 6,199 cases on April 5.

While death rates have remained relatively low so far, Whitty warned that deaths are likely to rise in coming weeks. The U.K. reported a seven-day average of 21 deaths a day last week, compared with a peak of 942 on April 10.

These numbers include only deaths that are directly related to COVID-19. The real toll could be much higher if emergency services are overwhelmed by coronavirus cases and the National Health Service has to divert resources from diagnosing and treating other diseases, Whitty said.

But Whitty said this has to be balanced against the impact on the economy and society from measures to control the virus, because increased deprivation and mental illness will also lead to deaths.

"Ministers making decisions — and all of society — have to walk this very difficult balance. If we do too little, this virus will go out of control and you will get significant numbers of increased direct and indirect deaths," he said "But if we go too far the other way, then we can cause damage to the economy which can feed through to unemployment, to poverty, to deprivation — all of which have long-term health effects so we need always to keep these two sides in mind."

globalnews.ca

U.K. headed for massive spike in coronavirus cases, top advisers warn - National | Globalnews.ca

"We have, in a very bad sense, literally turned a corner," after weeks of rising infections, said Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We have tried absolutely nothing and it isn't working! Seems to be all of the west's mantra.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all the whining the young do about the old fucking up the world, here is their chance to directly help but no, partying is more important.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Time to replay the footage of pubs reopening. Who could have predicted this?!!!!

Dec 2, 2017
120041983_180959793599319_8813521503200606717_o.jpg

Last edited:

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I live in East London. I see absolutely *no one* wearing a mask. Go inside a food store? No mask. Pick up your kid at nursery,
where a massive sign asks parents to wear a mask when picking up their child? No mask. The parks ? groups of 20+ people with no mask - cops nearby are standing mere meters away and do not give a shit. Coffees, restaurants, working spaces , offices? No masks. Even the fucking barber.

Last edited:

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
The Chief Medical Officer warned in July that we couldn't open things up any further.

A few weeks in to September having reopened all schools fully and ordering people to go back to work after spending all of August telling people to go and eat out on the cheap... we seem to have some kind of problem on our hands.

Who could have foreseen this?

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): Peddling dangerous anti-scientific misinformation.
I live in East London. I see absolutely *no one* wear a mask. Go inside a food store? No mask. Pick up your kid at nursery, effet
Where a massive sign asks parents to wear a mask when picking up their child? No mask. The parks ? groups of 20+ people with no mask - cops nearby are standing mere meters away and do not give a shit. Coffees, restaurants, working spaces , offices? No masks. Even the fucking barber.
Sweden has no masks and does fine. Norway has no masks and does fine. France has masks and is not doing fine. Spain has masks and is a mess.

Masks are not at all required and there is hardly a link between masks and low numbers.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Happy news to be receiving today as I complete my visa application to study at Oxford, studies beginning in October. :(

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
At least that can be avoided to a degree , i think it was more a projection based on fairly limited action as of today. there's stuff in the works already.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden has no masks and does fine. Norway has no masks and does fine. France has masks and is not doing fine. Spain has masks and is a mess.

Masks are not at all required and there is hardly a link between masks and low numbers.

I was reading up on this. Part of it is Sweden doesn't have a drinking culture, binge drinking and large groups are not in their DNA. As much as UK has fucked this right up, I don't think we can just see one nation doing better than the other. Also Sweden have a more level playing field in their population in terms of QOL, here in the UK the tories have torn apart lower income families result in poorer education. They have different outlooks and a different way of life and should be treated as such.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
But but but ..... our long awaited world-beating contact tracing app will save us!

Releases this week - does not actually contact trace

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't simply a young person issue. While pubs should have never been allowed to open normal hours, people were told to go back and live a normal life, go back to work, use transport, it's safe. These are all lies, we went too fast, too soon.
The virus spreading by far amongst the young isn't fake news. And it mainly the young breaking the rules and having mass gatherings. They are mainly to blame for this.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
Shortly after the briefing, "Sack Vallance" and "Sack Whitty" were trending with most of the tweets by people with #KBF (Keep Britain Free) in their name along with a balloon (their "symbol").

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
The virus spreading by far amongst the young isn't fake news. And it mainly the young breaking the rules and having mass gatherings. They are mainly to blame for this.

That is only just part of it. Go travel north of the country for example, I took a mini break to the coast, literally no one gave two shits about social distancing, no masks, nothing. Hell, even work colleagues are hugging each other like nothing has happened. We're a nation that is irresponsible.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is only just part of it. Go travel north of the country for example, I took a mini break to the coast, literally no one gave two shits about social distancing, no masks, nothing. Hell, even work colleagues are hugging each other like nothing has happened. We're a nation that is irresponsible.
There's also the people who simply must take holidays in the middle of a fucking pandemic *shrug*

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017

Gonna need receipts on the bolded because literally everything I've seen on masks and COVID is their effectiveness at slowing the spread.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

It seems to me population density plays a big role in these things.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well. I remember when UK was able to mock us for all of our choices at a country. But ever since Brexit (or before?), there's always some bad news that's right in line with the U.S.

Arm in arm until we all die. How touching.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I live in East London. I see absolutely *no one* wear a mask. Go inside a food store? No mask. Pick up your kid at nursery, effet
Where a massive sign asks parents to wear a mask when picking up their child? No mask. The parks ? groups of 20+ people with no mask - cops nearby are standing mere meters away and do not give a shit. Coffees, restaurants, working spaces , offices? No masks. Even the fucking barber.

Here we are total opposite, we have 90 case a day and this is a question of weeks before they put us back on lockdown... 2 different world !

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I popped into Food Warehouse for tea bags on the way home and not one shopper or staff was wearing a mask. Avoid in Southampton

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very much this too. To blame it purely on young folk is such a Tory rhetoric.
I know too many people who were just booking up anything they could get. A week in Greece, or a weekend a Center Parcs.

I haven't had a single night away with my family this year after cancelling our holidays. It sucks, and I know our kids have missed it, but what makes it worse is seeing people merrily going wherever they please.

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
For all the whining the young do about the old fucking up the world, here is their chance to directly help but no, partying is more important.
Yeah let's ignore the government encouraging people to eat out in restaurants, pushing people to go back to work even if they can WFH, reopening schools, having a not fit for purpose track and trace system, testing being subpar with week long delays, their own senior officials flouting lockdown rules. But yeah, this is all because the young want to party! Utterly ridiculous.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton

Good lord! 6 people from different households meeting in the same room without even a single mask between them and all within a metre or two of one another

Those damn young people, not following the good examples set by *checks notes* Dominic Cummings, Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
I know too many people who were just booking up anything they could get. A week in Greece, or a weekend a Center Parcs.

I haven't had a single night away with my family this year after cancelling our holidays. It sucks, and I know our kids have missed it, but what makes it worse is seeing people merrily going wherever they please.

Same, same. I sooooo want to get away but why would I want to in this climate? Why would anyone? I don't know how anyone could feel relaxed in a built up area. Ok, maybe if it was quiet, maybe but people are desperate for things to be back to normal. What annoys me is they think it is normal now, it isn't, it really isn't.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
Same, same. I sooooo want to get away but why would I want to in this climate? Why would anyone? I don't know how anyone could feel relaxed in a built up area. Ok, maybe if it was quiet, maybe but people are desperate for things to be back to normal. What annoys me is they think it is normal now, it isn't, it really isn't.

They did it because they were told it was allowable. They did it because they were not prevented from doing so. Same as 'eat out to help out' when everyone flooded pubs and restaurants to do the 'patriotic' thing and the ridiculous clapping every Thursday while the same Tories who promoted that voted not to allow pay increases for NHS workers.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
One only needs to look at pubs across the country full of middle-aged to old people crammed in with no masks to know this not the fault of young people alone. It's the fault of the government which relies on (and promotes) people getting piss drunk at the pub instead of staying home thinking about all the issues going on in the country, lets not forget Boris and the Wetherspoons owner are best friends.

Oct 27, 2017
There was a virologist (I think) on Radio 4 the other day saying to get a handle on Covid 19 cases it really is as simple as social distancing. The virus spreads through contact with others, if you can avoid proximity with others the virus can't spread. Simple, but so many people just refuse to do this. Let's go to the pub! Let's have a party! Let's go see friends! Let's go on holiday! Hooray!

The government's response to this whole pandemic has been an utter disgrace; shambolic, confusing, unenforceable, contradictory, nonsensical, toothless, stupid, misguided - but far too many people simply refuse to take responsibility for their own actions and here we are. Those of us who are doing our best, who basically cancelled our 2020; no holidays, no social visits, limited travel - what a waste of time when it's all being undone by selfish pricks.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify they said this wasn't a prediction as such, more what would happen if cases carried on doubling at the current rate.

There's still a chance to stop things getting bad but it looks like we'll miss it again.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I don't think Boris will even put us into a second lockdown, no matter how bad it gets, because of the economy. Money is going to speak louder than saving lives. We're going to see numbers above the highest (from back in May) pretty soon unfortunately, I hope the deaths don't go up too much though.

Oct 27, 2017

Good lord! 6 people from different households meeting in the same room without even a single mask between them and all within a metre or two of one another

Those damn young people, not following the good examples set by *checks notes* Dominic Cummings, Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock.

This photo was taken in March.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Boris will even put us into a second lockdown, no matter how bad it gets, because of the economy. Money is going to speak louder than saving lives. We're going to see numbers above the highest (from back in May) pretty soon unfortunately, I hope the deaths don't go up too much though.
Indeed, they promised re-opening, got business to invest a ton and then pulling that away would kill some. I can see curfews maybe and a reduction in number being able to meet.