• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Texas has so much room yet real estate and rent prices are still going up like crazy. Even worse is as Texas cities grows, the shittiness of the cities' layout will increase exponentially.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Texas has so much room yet real estate and rent prices are still going up like crazy. Even worse is as Texas cities grows, the shittiness of the cities' layout will increase exponentially.

There's little balance in city planning. Houston will put a Walmart nextdoor to a 5* hotel next to a jiffy lube. Austin is in denial about how 90% of people are commuters and doesn't build proper highways and loops. San Antonio hasn't been too bad when I have visited they seem somewhat rational.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Houston is decent I guess. But it's that swampy ass hot weather with none of the redeeming beach qualities a place like FL has. I'd rather just fly to FL than drive down 4-5 hours to go to Houston.

But DFW has its issues too. So does Austin or San Antonio. I think the little rivalry these cities have for each other is cute.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
There's little balance in city planning. Houston will put a Walmart nextdoor to a 5* hotel next to a jiffy lube. Austin is in denial about how 90% of people are commuters and doesn't build proper highways and loops. San Antonio hasn't been too bad when I have visited they seem somewhat rational.

Never forget:

920x920.jpg

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Sounds like I need to invest in Texas real estate.

I imagine in 30 years it'll be the most populous state. California doesn't have as much water, Texas can build more reservoirs of the Colorado river and divert water from the Mississippi whereas LA will tap lake mead dry in 10 years. The cost of living due to water is going to lead to a mass exodus. Desalination is crazy expensive.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Noooo...

Housing crises happen from too many people moving in and too little housing be built.

Sure, but what happens when rich people buy 10 houses and they sit empty? People buying houses for the sole purpose of holding onto them does happen. It takes away the supply of the people who actually want to buy a house and actually live in it.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but what happens when rich people buy 10 houses and they sit empty? People buying houses for the sole purpose of holding onto them does happen. It takes away the supply of the people who actually want to buy a house and actually live in it.
Statistically this does not happen as much as rich people buying multiple units to convert to a single mansion. Multi unit conversions are a smallish contributor themselves. Our major cities just don't build many housing units, less than 4 units per 1000 residents per year which is internationally a low number.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Uh... do you have any data/reports that state and justify what you are saying? Rich people buying properties and leaving them vacant is leaving massive amounts of money on the table. If I decide to buy a property, I'm renting it out. And if I had to guess, most other investors would do the same.

Edit:
Any RE investors here? In Texas? I'm legit considering getting a duplex.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Uh... do you have any data/reports that state and justify what you are saying? Rich people buying properties and leaving them vacant is leaving massive amounts of money on the table. If I decide to buy a property, I'm renting it out. And if I had to guess, most other investors would do the same.

No, I just don't trust real estate investors of any kind.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
When would gentrification ever be the incoming people's fault?

Gentrification blows but the blame lies solely on systemic issues not a person who decides to move to a new town/neighborhood.
Can't say I fully agree. People coming in should also have some respect for who is there and who built it. I mean again, that's apparently why they came there in the first place. So when you see them come in, then start acting like they own the place and act in a manner that shits on previous residents, I can certainly blame their level of elitism and assholeness in contributing to the problem.

Austin is a perfect example on how the city is treated by newer people and how they lowkey shit on minorities while trying to bill themselves as a liberal progressive paradise. For that, yeah, I'll put some blame on them for acting in the worst possible way. Doesn't mean it's 100% their fault - but they're complicit.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please stay away from the metros. Move to Lubbock, Del Rio, Laredo, Beeville or some other small town. We don't want to get priced out of our cities and homes because tech bros bent you over and screwed you. The population growth and the increase in traffic has been insane to watch and housing prices keep skyrocketing.

Oct 28, 2017
Please stay away from the metros. Move to Lubbock, Del Rio, Laredo, Beeville or some other small town. We don't want to get priced out of our cities and homes because tech bros bent you over and screwed you. The population growth and the increase in traffic has been insane to watch and housing prices keep skyrocketing.
You should be prepping for Texas to be the new tech hub over the next decade.