• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I misread the title as Nifflas and was saddened when all the posts were calling out their behavior. Then I realized it was just talking about Nicalis and I felt a lot better.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Nicalis are terrible but honestly I've never actually seen a source to the claim that they stole the rights to Cave Story. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they screwed over Pixel, but it seems like how they screwed Pixel over has always been speculation.

Anyway, I could totally see this being Tyrone trying to weed out indie devs who won't go near his ass anymore, and look for indie projects that Nicalis could potentially scam publish.
I'm just saying, Pixel's next game was about a hapless employee who's overworked and screwed over by a boss who's language he doesn't understand.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nicalis are terrible but honestly I've never actually seen a source to the claim that they stole the rights to Cave Story. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they screwed over Pixel, but it seems like how they screwed Pixel over has always been speculation.

Anyway, I could totally see this being Tyrone trying to weed out indie devs who won't go near his ass anymore, and look for indie projects that Nicalis could potentially scam publish.
I don't know about outright stole but they've been going out of their way to never credit Pixel, and they've been less than transparent about it.
Any dev approached by Nicalis should bail the fuck out.

Shady but legal business might as well be stole in my book

Like the man put years of his life in that game and to be treated that way is nothing but VILE.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

Holy fucking shit, just when you think this guy can't hit a new low. He's actively taunting Pixel that he suckered him out of the rights to the non-freeware version of the game.

If there's any justice in the universe, Nicalis will eventually go bankrupt and someone starts a crowdfund to buy the rights back at auction and gift it to Pixel.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying, Pixel's next game was about a hapless employee who's overworked and screwed over by a boss who's language he doesn't understand.
Again, wouldn't surprise me at all if they screwed over Pixel somehow. I imagine they did. Just also we don't have any specifics as to how he was screwed over, so just saying that "Nicalis stole Cave Story" could potentially be a good way to spead misinformation if it ends up being something different than that.

To add context: @oxizn = Pixel.

Who seems trilled about Tyrone just rubbing salt in that wound.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that not only does Tyrone have a long history of exploiting developers for his own profit but he's also made several extremely racist comments that are screencapped in the Kotaku article.

Do not trust him.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Anyone considering this please question why someone might give $1000 for nothing in return. Would you really think it's just because they love the indie scene, especially given the companies track record? They are trying to find skilled people who are passionate and new to the industry and don't know better. They want to find the people who will feel indebted to them. I've seen it happen many times. No they won't con you out right but they will attempt to befriend you and gain your trust. They want to put you in a position where they can easily manipulate you and take advantage of your passion. There are quite a few people who have had their games locked into legal nonsense or have not been paid for their sales.

Don't let them rope you in, I hate to see such skilled people have all their hard work ruined.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Sure hope he doesn't ask them to sign anything.

Also if there's anyone to be suspicious about saying "no strings attached", it's the guy who runs fucking Nicalis.
Pretty much the only product that may have their involvement in I'll be buying in the foreseeable future is BOI repentance for console just because Edmund but otherwise nope Nada from me

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty cool. But if you're from Europe or Australia you might need to wait a couple of years for the money to come to your country.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Still don't get the context of any of this, I only know that Pixel has done Cave Story.
It's highly suspected that Tyrone took advantage of Pixel's limited English skills at the time the Wii version was being arranged to trick him into giving up the rights to Cave Story in its entirety. No one is confirming or denying anything but it's highly likely that NDAs are involved. The main developer of The Takeover also had a deal with Nicalis go extremely south with a racing game he had kickstarted and said that he legally couldn't talk about it.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Even if he was on the up-and-up here, which I really doubt, people should know who they're getting in bed with before they take money from them.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Again, wouldn't surprise me at all if they screwed over Pixel somehow. I imagine they did. Just also we don't have any specifics as to how he was screwed over, so just saying that "Nicalis stole Cave Story" could potentially be a good way to spead misinformation if it ends up being something different than that.

Yeah I have plenty of reasons to strongly despise nicalis but the Cave Story stuff is pretty much unfounded at this point unfortunately. Jason couldn't find any info one way or another confirming that CS was stolen and Tyrone knowns fluent Japanese so I have big doubts a contract was in english, especially since Pixel and him still keep in contact and if it went south it would be like the La Mulana devs who just cut him off the moment things went south.

I don't think the rights were stolen, but more or less, the license Nicalis has is just milked to death and Pixel wants to be distinct from them instead of rehash the same IP over and over. If the rights were truly stolen this would have leaked out by now and Pixel wouldn't keep playing nice with Tyrone on Twitter this long.

In terms of stuff they DID screw over with pretty much concrete proof/hints though, don't forget that Ittle Dew 2 is still delisted from the eShop due to Nicalis being petty and hoarding the game from the original creator, who wants to take it back for self publishing on Switch.

Or 90'S GP getting no status updates besides an april fools tweet that was in horrible, horrible taste, only to silently show up at PAX in a barely recognizable state, even as the original creator releases his own, standalone game with no issue perfectly fine without Nicalis.

Or all the stuff in the Kotaku article.

Or how it seems Edward is still trying to work with Nicalis despite pledging not to when the article broke.

Or how Tyrone cancelled Guxt on 3DS without announcing it, but decided to go on about why he did so on a forum post and complaining that people would have gotten mad due to no new features being added like with ikachan, so instead of pricing the game properly or retooling it/adding new stuff, he just cancelled it so nobody could play it and criticize the port for being barebones.

Or how Mr Tako's patch that fixed all the critical complains is being held hostage by Nicalis who won't QA test an already finished patch, and it seems the dev isn't able to get it done for the Steam version or even mention the game much to begin with anymore despite it being the dev's passion for years, which is definitely not normal and a clear sign some rights issue is going on.

Or the Vita/PS4 physicals they made years ago but are hoarding so they could release them as "the final Vita physical games" due to having a stupid rivalry with LRG due to Tyrone not liking them, even though the physicals all leaked on eBay by now.

There looootttts more I could mention but yeah, don't give Nicalis the time of day. All the blocking/hiding they're doing for the tweets and such is just making their bad behavior more obvious and I ended learning about a cool 3D Space Harrier clone from this thread, which hopefully will NOT come anywhere near Nicalis. They deserve all the backlash from how awful they treat devs and won't even pay/update the ones they already brought on.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

You can feel so much history and tension in just that two line exchange. Damn.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Should have figured this was the case but looks like Tyrone would be paying with money that he still owes to developers.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Obviously not as important as the racist shit and the developers he's fucked over, but where the hell is 1001 Spikes on Switch?

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Obviously not as important as the racist shit and the developers he's fucked over, but where the hell is 1001 Spikes on Switch?

oh god, I was hyped for that at switch launch and I forgot about it

the sad part is they advertised it in the cave story physical so it looks even more outta place to not be out. Was originally dated for... Late 2018.

Also this just screams "I did nothing wrong and deny ever doing anything bad" and it's sad to see: Definitely glad I cut off ties with their PR company since I do not want to cover anything from this company again unless massive reform takes place.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

the sad part is they advertised it in the cave story physical so it looks even more outta place to not be out. Was originally dated for... Late 2018.

Also this just screams "I did nothing wrong and deny ever doing anything bad" and it's sad to see: Definitely glad I cut off ties with their PR company since I do not want to cover anything from this company again unless massive reform takes place.

"They can't handle that" says guy hiding all criticism.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah it's long overdue. The silence speaks volumes imo - not going to give this fucker the benefit of the doubt. I wonder if that relationship soured.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
By hiding some answers he is literally making a list of things why we shouldn't trust him.

especially when it's also being done on the main company's account.

Like gee it's like Twitter shows a giant popup saying the author hid tweets which basically makes it a giant advert for the kotaku article at this point

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Or how it seems Edward is still trying to work with Nicalis despite pledging not to when the article broke.

This is a real big letdown. Saw this and checked Edmund's twitter and he's still got new stuff from Nicalis coming out like dice and whatnot for his card game. I went back to read the kotaku article and the quote was "I won't be moving forward with Nicalis when it comes to the port of The Legend of Bum-bo or any console versions of Mewgenics," so... I guess that leaves the door open to working with them on anything else which is just disappointing.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
This is a real big letdown. Saw this and checked Edmund's twitter and he's still got new stuff from Nicalis coming out like dice and whatnot for his card game. I went back to read the kotaku article and the quote was "I won't be moving forward with Nicalis when it comes to the port of The Legend of Bum-bo or any console versions of Mewgenics," so... I guess that leaves the door open to working with them on anything else which is just disappointing.
He's just continuing with things that were already in the works before the story came out. New projects won't be with Nicalis.

Oct 29, 2017
He's doing this as a trial balloon to do some head hunting.

You're giving up details about your game in exchange for a chance to win that money.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This is obviously an effort to launder his image and get some goodwill by throwing around dollar bills. And of course it's going to work.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
He's doing this as a trial balloon to do some head hunting.

You're giving up details about your game in exchange for a chance to win that money.
Or he'll try to make publishing deals with the people who he gives the "free" money to. They'll trust him/feel somewhat obliged to agree to it because he gave them free money before then he'll pull his usual ghosting act and not pay them.