• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
much, much harder to get to those people and a much higher chance of being harshly prosecuted considering their connections. it's more petty to target less powerful people, of course, but I think the consideration on the activist's part is more practical than strategic
So you aren't that dedicated to the cause then if it's too inconvenient for you.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Someone would get hurt for touching my vehicle.

Let's see y'all do a renovation and assorted repairs out of a fucking sedan.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
much, much harder to get to those people and a much higher chance of being harshly prosecuted considering their connections. it's more petty to target less powerful people, of course, but I think the consideration on the activist's part is more practical than strategic
That was my assumption as well. Why send a real message when there are potentially cameras and security involved, when being a coward is easier.

That would actually require some effort so they'd rather take the easy way and fuck over normal people to prove moral superiority.
Exactly. As evidenced by their leaflet: "driving a hybrid or EV? Fuck you regardless!"

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
How nice. What happens after when someone is driving, maybe with their family in the car and a blowout occurs because the tire was compromised?

Bunch of morons. You don't gain followers doing stuff like this.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
I need a convertible MPV for dual use as a family car and a small business vehicle, it often gets mistaken for an "SUV".

The other choice I'd have would be to own two vehicles, a car and a small transit van or combi as well, putting MORE vehicles on the road.

I catch you doing this shit to my vehicle, you're feeling broken bones from a crowbar I shit you not.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Protest and increase focus on better methods of mass transit and more fuel efficient vehicles? Nah too hard.

Lets vandalize someones property in an inconspicuous but inconvenient way. That'll show them for a good 2-3 hours!

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
In case you haven't seen it, this is what gets left on your windscreen after your tires are let down. Note that they're also going after Hybrids and EVs because why not eh?

280849740_10226049086586271_4769223801825950446_n.jpg

South park already did it

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Fuck those guys. I wonder how involved those guys are with their political groups. You know people
That might actually have some impact, instead of generating news articles.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Civil disobedience is supposed to entail understanding you'll be prosecuted.

That's why it's called civil disobedience

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Fuck them. I'm sure they made sure to check that these weren't electric or hybrid SUVs before they did this. 🙄

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is just…stupid.

And also incredibly privileged. While certainly there are a lot of people that own SUVs just because they want to own a big car (which still isn't a good reason to damage them), some people do actually need them.

My wife is an environmental engineer, and often has to haul a lot of equipment, sometimes off-road. We have an electric crossover, but could easily have gotten an SUV if that wasn't an option.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Dumb. Accomplishes zilch. Probably makes it even worse.

If you're cool with messing around with people's stuff, don't complain if it happens to you.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Anyone doing this and thinking this is the way to get their point across is a deluded cunt. You're being a dick just to get some pats on the back from people who already support you, while everyone else now thinks you're a dick. That's not good for the cause, if anything it's a net loss of support. I always find stunts like this to just be egotistical and short-sighted, they're doing it for themselves to feel good. But thankfully these idiots seem to be in the minority. Others have their heads screwed on.

Arugala

May 21, 2021
No it's cowardice not to go for those most responsible. Would be bigger if they went after high profile targets.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Just because their lives are miserable doesn't mean everyone who drives an SUV or a truck is a villain.

This is cunt like behavior.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I am actually curious. I admit I know very little of Edinburgh except it's the capital of Scotland.

But what is the median income for people living in New Town, Hillside and Marchmount?

Dec 15, 2017
The continued price increases on fuel are going to do more to make gas guzzling ice vehicles less appealing then any limited stunt like this would, plus having to buy new tires early isn't any help to the environment

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
In case you haven't seen it, this is what gets left on your windscreen after your tires are let down. Note that they're also going after Hybrids and EVs because why not eh?

280849740_10226049086586271_4769223801825950446_n.jpg
And people in this thread are actually defending this? Given they are also against hybrids and electric cars, you can't even say that they have any coherent environmental goals. Why are people in here defending this incoherent, self-righteous bullshit?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Are SUVs in Edinburgh also primarily used purchased by mothers who see their size as useful for transporting groceries and children?

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just reading a piece about the rise and fall of ELF and "direct action" environmental terrorism, and I think we're going to see a new resurgence of that in the next couple of decades
There are already massive highway-halting human chain protests in the UK numerous times over the past two years

Are SUVs in Edinburgh also primarily used purchased by mothers who see their size as useful for transporting groceries and children?
Very, very frequently.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hey I'm not the one who donated money to the NRA.

Technically, neither did I. See, if you gonna bring up my posting history from the other site (what, five plus fucking years and you still trying to hold onto this, lol.) at least have the decency to do your due diligence.

Sorry I failed your purity test a decade ago. But if you wanna keep fucking that chicken, do me a favor…send me a private message you wanna keep trying to make this about my post history. Stop shitting up the thread with the fuck shit.

Oh yea, fucking with people's tires is shitty.

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
There was a time where I secretly enjoyed these threads because they made mass ignoring assholes easy. But they're reaching the point where I just cannot imagine how some of you function on a daily basis. Some of these responses are just fucking staggering.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
There was a time where I secretly enjoyed these threads because they made mass ignoring assholes easy. But they're reaching the point where I just cannot imagine how some of you function on a daily basis. Some of these responses are just fucking staggering.

Right it's like they've lost all nuance and anything that isn't a sedan EV is the same as jacked up mega truck modified to roll coal.

Even then I don't have a right to fuck with their property.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This is some super dumb fucking bullshit. I can't imagine celebrating this as if it matters even a bit in helping the earth. Anyone who thinks this does anything positive for anyone must be on something good.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like this is the sort of thing where the environment is just an excuse to do what they wanted to do anyway.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Thread derailment over multiple posts with inflammatory commentary
Technically, neither did I. See, if you gonna bring up my posting history from the other site (what, five plus fucking years and you still trying to hold onto this, lol.) at least have the decency to do your due diligence.

Sorry I failed your purity test a decade ago. But if you wanna keep fucking that chicken, do me a favor…send me a private message you wanna keep trying to make this about my post history. Stop shitting up the thread with the fuck shit.

Oh yea, fucking with people's tires is shitty.
So you're now saying you've never joined NRA or donated to them when you've said those things to taunt people in mass shooting threads. Ok, it's your words against your words. I wouldn't call them a momentary lapse of good morals, so excuse me for not taking you bemoaning "the left" seriously.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
So you're now saying you've never joined NRA or donated to them when you've said those things to taunt people in mass shooting threads. Ok, it's your words against your words. I wouldn't call them a momentary lapse of good morals, so excuse me for not taking you bemoaning "the left" seriously.

Let me get this straight. You, a person, has decided in a thread about car tires being fucked with…has taken it upon yourself to shit up the entire thread with a derail about…and let me get this straight yet again: Taunting posters in mass shooting threads? Dude, I haven't been a member of the NRA in…I mean before this site was even around so you GOTTA be going back.

Oh, I said "the left" and you took that as I must be on the right cause guns and shit. Gotcha. Easy mistake to make. You're incorrect. Also wrong about ever taunting anyone in a shooting thread. And FFS please don't start taking posts I said years ago in a debate about what should be done about these issues to mean taunting. Sorry I upset you by mentioning "the left". But I mean, that's how I regard people in this thread ok with fucking w/ people's tires.

Also, I don't apologize for anything I've posted in the past. I've never trolled a fucking shooting thread. Why is just making shit up cause you don't like a poster a thing? Sorry I've lived life and made choices you disagree with. Tough shit?

Show me where I'm taunting people upset in a fucking mass shooting thread. Go ahead. I'll wait. I humbly wait for you to take some comment regarding my opinion on policy out of context.

I think you're upset about other shit and projecting. Maybe take a break and go spend time w/ family. Decompress. Something. Cause you just created a Mammoth Jones brand strawman doll and you look ridiculous.

Yea, left definitely lose me with the tire shit. Also, the purity tests. Don't get outraged cause I said it. It's not a religion. Calm down.

Last edited:

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Rich people who own a Skoda Yeti that does 50mpg and is smaller than some normal cars apparently.

There was a doctor on call who had their tyres slashed.

Anyway I'm all in favour of banning oversized and gas guzzling cars from cities (and that includes oversized EVs) unless there is a good reason (ie for disabled people), but I think there are better ways of protesting. Much the same as my feelings on the Insulate Britain protests, well intentioned but often targeting the wrong people.
Well shit. Don't see what this accomplished.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Just what the world needs, more misery handed out to random strangers. Jesus Christ you aren't helping shit. You're just a fucking asshole.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
www.google.com

Tyre Extinguishers ‘disarm’ 100 Edinburgh 4x4s in one night

A spokesperson said the “scale of disarmament” is an underestimate, as not all Tyre Extinguisher groups have been in touch

Isn't time SUVs get banned? They are by far the worst method of transport for harmful pollution yet continue to sell more and more. For people in public office to talk about greener cities yet they seem to have no issues with more and more SUVs on the roads is ridiculous.
It's be fine if hybrid or electric. Old school V8s gotta go.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This is not how you try to get people on your side. Even if it is a minor inconvenience, fuck these assholes. Also some people don't pay attention and inspect their tires before driving. Though it should be pretty obvious once driving it could potentially lead to an accident.