• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
For the first time ever we now have over 2000 Covid patients currently hospitalized in Texas

www.cnbc.com

Texas reports two consecutive days of record coronavirus hospitalizations weeks after reopening

Texas has reported two consecutive days of record-breaking Covid-19 hospitalizations as the state continues to open businesses and resume activities that were temporarily shuttered due to the coronavirus.

I wonder how bad it's going to have to get before Covid is the lead story in the news once again. People have forgotten

I been saying over and over that hospitalizations take quite some time to see increase after rise in cases. You have people adamant that rises in cases just mean more testing. But they don't realize that adding 10K+ new cases a week still mean a bunch of people may end up in the hospital eventually. Whether that is a small positive % or not.

Texas have been trending way up the past 2 weeks. It went from like 7K a week 3 weeks ago to over 11K last week, Sunday-Monday.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona seems to be doing just as bad. 10% positive rate and the number of patients in ICU is more capacity then they even had at the end of March. Thankfully they increased capacity but still hospitalizations keep increasing

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
The US dealing with COVID-19:

200.gif

No country is going to open borders to Americans for years to come and if they do they'll require a 14-day quarantine.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's been an epic disaster. We now have one of the worst jobless rate drops from covid in the world, and we have one of the worst health related responses. Most developed countries did well on at least one of those fronts, or tried to do well in both, whereas the US was basically fuck it, let the dice fall and we'll give tons of printer money to billionaires and investors.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully my wife's and my company are in no hurry to get us back in to the office. This shit is a fucking mess.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I don't know about years. By the end of next year a vaccine should be widely available. So, maybe just until then.

I have reasonable doubt people will just fall in line to take the vaccine even if they were supporters of lockdown, wearing mask and various approach to curb the virus in the first place.

It's not just the Trumpers or conspiracy theorists, I think some people are naturally worried about a fast track vaccine without long term observations trials for side effects. Not to mention people can be rather selfish and would want other to take the vaccine instead for the population to reach herd immunity.

Last edited:

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
One interesting stat in Dallas county is that only 20% of the population is hispanic but they represent over 60% of covid19 cases

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
One interesting stat in Dallas county is that only 20% of the population is hispanic but they represent over 60% of covid19 cases
The tolls on Black/Brown people that this disease has is heartbreaking.

- No support from the federal government
- No support from local government
- No support from corporations
- Most needed to do "essential work" yet not seriously compensated for it
- Not skilled to work from home
- Let go at higher rates during the shutdowns
- Harassed by entitled and privileged people who refuse to take the disease seriously, because those with privilege will most likely be fine

The people at the bottom are getting attacked, and it's no wonder BLM is so big rn.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
There a study that says that covid spreads quicker via dense households instead of population density.

Hispanic households tend to be bigger because of necessity. Multi generational families that all live together under one roof to save rent.

It's explains why LA has a higher proportion of CA's cases as well.

Doesn't bode well for reopening as this means that the primary mode of transmission is prolonged contact indoors.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie Sanders asked FDC commissioner Stephen Hahn during his senate hearing if any future vaccine would be available for free to the public.

He said "it will be available to everyone who wants it."

Asked again, to clarify, "For free?"

"It will be available."

Asked a third time, "For free, at no cost to the patient?"

"No comment."

Refusing to make a vaccine like this free where it would be in virtually the entire rest of the world will without a doubt make it less effective.

Killing the poor and uninsured is a feature, not a bug :|

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so fucking dumb. If Disney bought up 300mil doses they'd probably make it all back just on theatre revenues. At some point someone's gonna do some math and figure out not vaccinating everyone is much more expensive than vaccinating everyone. Damned anti-vaxers probably fuck up the math though.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
There a study that says that covid spreads quicker via dense households instead of population density.

Hispanic households tend to be bigger because of necessity. Multi generational families that all live together under one roof to save rent.

It's explains why LA has a higher proportion of CA's cases as well.

Doesn't bode well for reopening as this means that the primary mode of transmission is prolonged contact indoors.

Via SF Chronicle:

Low-income Latinos have often been unable to socially distance during the pandemic because they typically work in low-wage jobs deemed essential and may live in crowded living situations.

Health experts and advocates say those myriad factors — and the fear of deportation that has led some Latino immigrants to avoid seeking medical care — have caused coronavirus infections to soar among Latinos.

Texas has one of the highest uninsured rates in the country, a huge Latino population, and many face similar circumstances.

EDIT: Everything hateradio said.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

how people come in here and be like yea but we can't just look at single days, after like ten posts where people say the 7 day rolling average is higher than its ever been, rather infuriating.

Lathentar

Oct 27, 2017

how people come in here and be like yea but we can't just look at single days, after like ten posts where people say the 7 day rolling average is higher than its ever been, rather infuriating.

Pretty sure that person was just talking about San Antonio. State wide it's been a clear upward trend. Another two thousand cases today

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Antonio 192. Yesterday they announced 135 new cases. Two or three weeks ago, they've been announcing less than 20 cases per day.

On a positive note, my results came back negative.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018

And then they pivot back to hospitalizations, as if adding all those new cases won't affect hospitalizations when we all know that lag by a couple weeks.

Texas 7 days rolling avg on worldmeter:
May 11: 1119
June 11: 1750

Last edited:

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Definitely noticing a downward trend of people using masks in places like grocery and liquor stores in Mesquite, which is in Dallas County about 20min from downtown Dallas.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This state won't care again until 1800 new positives a day is 1800 dead a day.

Texas has capitulated to coronavirus.

Lathentar

Oct 27, 2017
And then they pivot back to hospitalizations, as if adding all those new cases won't affect hospitalizations when we all know that lag by a couple weeks.

Texas 7 days rolling avg on worldmeter:
May 11: 1119
June 11: 1750
I believe they say ~9% of cases result in hospitalization. So that's 60 more hospitalizations a day on average and likely getting worse. By the time anything is done stop it the damage will have already been done.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Republican governments will be doing everything to under report totals. I bet a lot of deaths will be reported as something else instead of covid.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
scary stuff... and yes, it's really fucking heartbreaking that poor black/brown folk will bear the brunt of these decisions with their lives.

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
As a Texan this frightens me. I hardly go out as is but still. I just went to the dollar store yesterday and of course nobody was wearing a mask.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
No protest bump for Austin today, and numbers were lower than expected overall (though still higher than before).

I fully expect next Monday to be another jaw-dropper though.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No protest bump for Austin today, and numbers were lower than expected overall (though still higher than before).

I fully expect next Monday to be another jaw-dropper though.

I've counted at least four businesses mentioned in my local FB group that are in downtown Round Rock that had to re-close after having opened because an employee tested positive.